Guitarsite Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics BUZZ FEIGHTON TUNING METHOD

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY DETAILS ON HOW TO DO THIS TO MY LES PAUL STANDARD(AND WILL IT EFFECT THE VALUE) CHEERS, TOM

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

check out this page regarding the use of Petersons with the Feiten Tuning system:

http://www.custombasses.8m.com/peterson/buzz.html

Anonymous

mark,thanks for the ADVICE

Anonymous

: mark,thanks for the reply,. the reason i am concerned is that i have checked the intonation(with an electronic tuner) and it seems perfect,if thats possible, but when i use a tuner to tune to concert pitch(a-440) the top e string is always sharp at the 3rd fret. i wondered if there was anything wrong with the nut(or its position). any help would be much appreciated tom

The nut won’t have too much to do with this .Fret placement (and in this day and age I can’t imagine that this is an issue) and the condition of the crown /tops of the frets are very important .If the fret tops are flat then you need to have them crowned.That flat spot is throwing off the placement of the breaking off point of the string there by making it flat or sharp .The guy who does this work MUST use a Peterson Strobe tuner or equivilant .A Quartz tuner …even with the SEIKO chip will not tell you how many cents off the note is .

In my shop I have does this for numerous people since 1972 .This is incredibly common .
      Fine the best shop and have the repairperson check it out .
      Good luck …come visit us at the Rickenbacker forum .I answer questions that deal with ALL brands of guitars and how things work and how to check on their systems .

Anonymous

mark,thanks for the reply,. the reason i am concerned is that i have checked the intonation(with an electronic tuner) and it seems perfect,if thats possible, but when i use a tuner to tune to concert pitch(a-440) the top e string is always sharp at the 3rd fret. i wondered if there was anything wrong with the nut(or its position). any help would be much appreciated tom

Anonymous

: DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY DETAILS ON HOW TO DO THIS TO MY LES PAUL STANDARD(AND WILL IT EFFECT THE VALUE) CHEERS, TOM

Why do this to your guitar .The therory of this is as the strings get worn ,the undside of the string developes a dent that follows the top of your fret.By moving the nut .020 closer to the first fret ,this gives you an aproximation of the same effect .When you strobe tune you still are in tune at the 12th .
      I think that this is crazy and will not do this to anyones guitar .
      I own a 1956 Gretsch 6120 and to make the G sharp at the first fret on the third string in tune …I had to move the slot away from the end of the fretboard by .025 ! It still looks stock and I can send you an email with the photo so you can see what exactly was done .

I don’t mean to slam Buzzy but this idea is not totally correct and you must take into consideration just what kind of frets he uses and how low they are .
      When I last saw one of his guitars in So Calif.He had an SG/Gibson that had the standard 1970’s wide low frets and they needed to be recrowned or replaced.I am surprised that Tom Anderson has fallen for this ‘concept’.Washburn needed a marketing tool to increase sales …Tom has more brains than that.

DON’T do this .

Mark Arnquist -guitar maker/repairer Gibson Warranty station since 1981 ,also the Luthier answer man at the Rickenbacker Forum

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.