Re: Almirez guitar

Advertisement
Posted by Ron on Wed, 08/06/03 - 14:34:31.

: I have an Almirez acoustic guitar and need some info about the guitar.
: So if anyone know any site about it pleas let me know.
: I just bought an Almirez acoustic guitar and have been researching them. The label in my guitar states the company that sold is United Musical Instruments. They have no guitars listed on their website and currently sell band and orchestra instruments. They are a large corporation and apparently have bought up other instrument companies including Conn. My Almirez was made in Korea. It has a solid top and laminated back and sides. From what I could find out Almirez was a name that was used for guitars marketed in Europe. The fit and finish on mine is ok. I had to remove and reglue the bridge and reglue two braces. It is still in the clamping process so I don't know how it will sound. The neck is straight and in good shape. If I were guessing I would put it in the $200 dollar range if it were new. I'm anxious to see how it sounds. I hope this is helpful. I think the big instrument companies thought they could mass market guitars in the 1970's. I know Conn had a contract with Stuart Mossman to build guitars for them and then ruined them all by storing them in a warehouse with no climate control.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

almirez acoustic

I picked mine up from a guy sold me car to, he did'nt play but some old busker gave it to him, it sat sad n grubby with 4rusty strings, a neck problem, but i fell for it, block marble neck inlays, rosewood body n got to be a solid top cos its unreal sound, bright n punchy bassy lows and high treble, I give him 20 quid n cleaned it, i had to level neck cos it had been broke at heel and fixed, truss rod is knackered to turn, i made a L shaped bracket with adjusting nut / bolt n fitted it inside body under neck, it brought the neck back to playable, amazed really, new strings and playing, its so good, ( i own a few MIJs taka's ovations ) so i know a good sound, this has it, I am now gonna have a pro fix on it and pay whatever, yep that good !!! it has 83 stamped end of fretboard and guessing korea !

almirez acoustic

I picked mine up from a guy sold me car to, he did'nt play but some old busker gave it to him, it sat sad n grubby with 4rusty strings, a neck problem, but i fell for it, block marble neck inlays, rosewood body n got to be a solid top cos its unreal sound, bright n punchy bassy lows and high treble, I give him 20 quid n cleaned it, i had to level neck cos it had been broke at heel and fixed, truss rod is knackered to turn, i made a L shaped bracket with adjusting nut / bolt n fitted it inside body under neck, it brought the neck back to playable, amazed really, new strings and playing, its so good, ( i own a few MIJs taka's ovations ) so i know a good sound, this has it, I am now gonna have a pro fix on it and pay whatever, yep that good !!! it has 83 stamped end of fretboard and guessing korea !

Almirez w80 what is it worth 12string

can any one help me out

gutair

I paid 93.00 in a pawn shop in ohio for mine they wanted 120.00 . Mines a almirez W-80 also a 12 string

Almirez acoustic guitar model w-60

I have an Almirez W-60 acoustic guitar. It's a dreadnought style folk guitar. Made in Korea, apparently. Bought NEW in 1987 at a funky store called Teds in Baltimore MD., where they supplied used instruments for Peabody Conservatory students. Now its mostly a retail store but still maintains a little funkiness. "I love this Almirez guitar." The wood has really mellowed over the years and it sounds great. I actually compare it to a low-end Martin or Taylor, believe it or not. It can play quite loud and the whole body resonates beautifully with a nice timbre, but it eventually reaches a level where you have to back off the volume slightly to maintain the clarity of tone. This may be how it differs from a Martin or other higher-end make. The neck has maintained its integrity with fantastic action over these 24 years since I bought it. It has maintained its beautiful finish too. The clincher is that I paid $130 for this guitar in 1987. I have owned other more expensive guitars but keep coming back to my Almirez for recording AND performaning. When I bought a fairly expensive Ovation I sold the Almirez thinking I wouldn't want it anymore. After a few months with the Ovation I went back to the guy I sold it to and convinced him to sell it back to me. He was very cool about it and I didn't have to pay a cash penalty for my lack of faith in my Almirez. I would never sell it now. I have used it on numerous recordings and will keep doing so. There is a "sweet spot" of tonal beauty has at a particular volume and style of playing that I have discovered and utilize. I have gotten to know this guitar so well that I doubt I will have this level of intimacy with another guitar. I am not saying a Martin D28 couldn't easily sound as good. Of course it could. And there are Taylors, and others that are equally as beautiful sounding. But, this is the guitar I know and have built a relationship with over 24 years; and there is no point in changing horses in mid-stream. Plus, there is a certain satisfaction in having paid so little for, and having had such amazing results with, such a modest guitar as this Alvirez W-60.
If you can find one, get it, and see if it can serve you as well as it has served me.
cheers, cbe

I have an Almirez model no. W70 does any one have any info on this one or what it may be worth, beautiful blonde finish. thanks

Dear "Ron",
Stuart Mossman did not "mass produce" guitars for Conn. He already had a company that was doing well called "S.L. Mossman Guitars" Conn was just distributing them.

try musictoyz.com for info on almirez

: : I have an Almirez acoustic guitar and need some info about the guitar.
: : So if anyone know any site about it pleas let me know.
: : I just bought an Almirez acoustic guitar and have been researching them. The label in my guitar states the company that sold is United Musical Instruments. They have no guitars listed on their website and currently sell band and orchestra instruments. They are a large corporation and apparently have bought up other instrument companies including Conn. My Almirez was made in Korea. It has a solid top and laminated back and sides. From what I could find out Almirez was a name that was used for guitars marketed in Europe. The fit and finish on mine is ok. I had to remove and reglue the bridge and reglue two braces. It is still in the clamping process so I don't know how it will sound. The neck is straight and in good shape. If I were guessing I would put it in the $200 dollar range if it were new. I'm anxious to see how it sounds. I hope this is helpful. I think the big instrument companies thought they could mass market guitars in the 1970's. I know Conn had a contract with Stuart Mossman to build guitars for them and then ruined them all by storing them in a warehouse with no climate control.
As a follow up on my Almirez. The clamps have come off. I was able to replace the plastic saddle with bone and got the action comparable to my HD28. I did a very minor adjustment to the truss rod and the neck looks great. So far it plays very well with medium gauge strings. I doubt it has been played much due to no fret wear, no fingerboard wear and no strap button. I am happy with the sound and hope it will get better as it is played. No, it doesn't sound nearly as good as the HD28 but that was a relief given the difference in price.

i've just bought an almirez acoustic guitars in a second hand shop. So far it only got 2 strings on it, but it lokks to be in very good condition. The model nr is h90n. It's a quit small guitar and looks little bit like an old western guitar. I don't know much about guitars models though. The strangest thing with it is that on top of the head where the name use to be there's just something that looks like a coin. The coin potraits a girl with flower and under the girl it says 1950. i wonder if it really can be that old. All almirez guitars i've seen on the internet ( they aren't that many) have been from the seventy's and i've never seen the coin either

I have an Almirez guitar, a classical guitar bought in Sweden ! It also has model nr h90n, but no coin & girl! :-( It doesn't sound too bad actually!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.