Re: Ron Frey / Frey Guitars - stay away!

Posted by david on Thu, 10/31/02 - 17:37:14.

: I've been waiting over ONE YEAR for a guitar that he was supposed to build for me, in exchange for over $600 worth of effects. I've sent numerous email, begging for this guitar. It has now been over two months that I have had no contact with him.

: After finding his website (http://frey.home.texas.net/), I contacted Ron Frey of Frey Giutars in
: Buda, Texas on December 12, 1999 about refinishing a Fender Stratocaster body. He offered
: to refinish the body in a time span of no more than a month and a half, as follows in his
: communication of 12 December:

: Mark waht I meant was from the time I got it in till completion
: month and a half

:
: The body was to be stripped down to bare wood, sanded and prepped, with any dings or body
: imperfections to be repaired before the refinish. Frey agreed to send me a color sample in
: advance of the refinish for my approval, as shown in Frey's emails to me on 12 December
: 1999:
:

: Ill scrape it all off to wood fill, seal well then prime in white then
: spray gold I use white undercoater like the 60s ones unless specified
: otherwise.

: Ill take my time to eliminate all the grain flaws ect and any dings if
: any...

: Mark Ill go mix a quart of firemist and send a sample to you once I get box
: in from you.
: Ill go right away and have it mixed then send sample.

:
: Payment was to be made by Money Order or cashier's check. I overnighted the body and
: payment at Frey's request:
:

: if you need send a
: cashiers check
: thats fine if its better for you im flexible... If body is going to take a
: week to get here can we overnite
: the cashiers check so I can have everything here when it arrives? Just to
: save time I can get it cashed
: and buy paint the same time im In town. Or overnite the whole thing body
: should not be alot to overnite
: It will expedite this if I had it on tuesday I could strip it and maybe
: shoot it this week if its in that good of shape

:
: The body was sent FedEx Next Day Air (cost $80), received by Frey on Tuesday December
: 14, 1999. Payment by certified check was sent the same day by US Next-Day Express Mail
: (Cost $20) and received by Frey on the same day, Tuesday, December 14, 1999.

: Frey had, in his previous communications, promised to mix and send me color samples once he
: got the box from me. On 20 December 1999 I received the following from Frey:
:

: I will get it and meanwhile ill prep the
: body out and get it ready to spray
: Ill be gone this week for Christmas but back at it next week. Once the chart
: gets here ill get it mixed
: and send some samples Ron

:
: By 23 January Frey was apparently still prepping the body, I had yet to receive a color sample
: for my approval, this from Frey:

: Hey Mark Im on schedule here shot acrylics this week
: its goign to be 40 tomorrow so no spraying but im still
: on prepping your strat so when its ready to spray
: I think the weather will be nice again im on it
: so bear with me

:
: Apparently in the intervening five weeks, he still had not managed to get my body prepped.
: Frey did send me some poor quality scans or colors (he shot digital pictures of a color chip
: chart), but no sample was forthcoming.

: Two months into the process, still no body, no word from Frey. I had left him alone, guessing
: that his time would be better spent in doing the work I had paid him to do than in answering
: email. On Saturdy, February 12, I wrote Frey about the status of my guitar and received the
: following:
:

: Mark Im on it I havea family emergency need to leave next week
: ill be back at it midweek or so will advise progress thanks for hanging in
: there
: will be well worth it Frey

:
: Two weeks later, February 27, I wrote Frey again, requesting an update, and wanting to know
: when he planned to finish the job, and I received the following:
:

: Mark your guitar is being finished now its not compete nor dry yet to send.
: I have been on it it will be done as promised just not ready to box yet.
: My digital camera is on the blink or id send shots now.
: I will finish it up within two weeks

:
: Given the promise of "within two weeks" on Febryary 27, I waited until March 22 (almost a
: month) before demanding my body back. The body was mailed to me on Thursday, 23 March
: and I received it on Monday, 27 March.

: Now, I could have handled the delays if, as promised, the work was of high quality. I could
: have even handled the fact that he did not, as promised, send me a color sample for approval in
: advance if he had used the correct color.

: However, the refinish job is, in my opinion, terrible. The finish is dull, and lumpy, with a texture
: that is rough to the touch. There are numerous flecks of dirt, etc. UNDER the finish. There
: appears to be no clear coat at all, as the finish is very dull, almost matte in appearance. There
: were several small dings (no wood removed) in the forearm contour that Frey had agreed to
: prep out before the refin (fairly simple), instead he applied the finish right over them. Instead of
: using a bright gold color like the "Aztec" or "Firemist" gold requested (we had also discussed
: the color often called "Shoreline" which is in fact a one-off custom color), Frey used a pale gold
: with a sickly greenish tint. Had Frey, as requested, provided me with a sample of this color in
: advance I would never have agreed to it. The finish, as applied, appears to be extremely thick
: and does not appear to have been sanded or buffed at all.

: I have had a number of guitars refinished over the years, including a '57 Strat, a '62 Strat, and a
: '63 Strat, plus owning a number of other instruments which have been refinished, so I do have
: more than a little experience with the average quality of refinish work, and this work, in my
: opinion, does not meet any commonly accepted standard. I've never seen a refinish job on a
: guitar that looked this poor - and this includes those done with cans of spray paint!

: Contacting Frey and requesting a refund, as he did not adhere to any of his promises, or
: provide a quality job, his response was less than helpful:
:

: Please sir Im not going to refund anything I shot an aztec gold body
: in the original finish from the original source that fender got it from
: Im sorry you cant be pleased with that I did exactly what I said id do
: good day sir

: Ok you sent me a body that was shot in the wrong color
: I redid it for 300 dollars I returned your body
: end of story

:
: To date (8 June 1999) I have not received a refund, nor has any attempt been made by Frey to
: resolve this. I would recommend that anyone considering doing business with Frey spend some
: time researching reviews of his work. I have been contacted by a surprising number of people
: who claim to have had eerily similar experiences with Frey, so it's apparent to me that this was
: more than an isolated incident. Anyone wanting more information about this: copies of all the
: emails, pictures of the work, or any other information, feel free to contact me!

: Mark Deavult
: mark@inna.net

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

this website is about guitrs and i didnt see one, all i saw was you wibbiling on about fucking shite cunt face,

bellendmc2@yahoo.com

:
: : After finding his website (http://frey.home.texas.net/), I contacted Ron Frey of Frey Giutars in
: : Buda, Texas on December 12, 1999 about refinishing a Fender Stratocaster body. He offered
: : to refinish the body in a time span of no more than a month and a half, as follows in his
: : communication of 12 December:

: : Mark waht I meant was from the time I got it in till completion
: : month and a half

: :
: : The body was to be stripped down to bare wood, sanded and prepped, with any dings or body
: : imperfections to be repaired before the refinish. Frey agreed to send me a color sample in
: : advance of the refinish for my approval, as shown in Frey's emails to me on 12 December
: : 1999:

: : Ill scrape it all off to wood fill, seal well then prime in white then
: : spray gold I use white undercoater like the 60s ones unless specified
: : otherwise.

: : Ill take my time to eliminate all the grain flaws ect and any dings if
: : any...

: : Mark Ill go mix a quart of firemist and send a sample to you once I get box
: : in from you.
: : Ill go right away and have it mixed then send sample.

: : Payment was to be made by Money Order or cashier's check. I overnighted the body and
: : payment at Frey's request:

: : if you need send a
: : cashiers check
: : thats fine if its better for you im flexible... If body is going to take a
: : week to get here can we overnite
: : the cashiers check so I can have everything here when it arrives? Just to
: : save time I can get it cashed
: : and buy paint the same time im In town. Or overnite the whole thing body
: : should not be alot to overnite
: : It will expedite this if I had it on tuesday I could strip it and maybe
: : shoot it this week if its in that good of shape

: : The body was sent FedEx Next Day Air (cost $80), received by Frey on Tuesday December
: : 14, 1999. Payment by certified check was sent the same day by US Next-Day Express Mail
: : (Cost $20) and received by Frey on the same day, Tuesday, December 14, 1999.

: : Frey had, in his previous communications, promised to mix and send me color samples once he
: : got the box from me. On 20 December 1999 I received the following from Frey:

: : I will get it and meanwhile ill prep the
: : body out and get it ready to spray
: : Ill be gone this week for Christmas but back at it next week. Once the chart
: : gets here ill get it mixed
: : and send some samples Ron

: : By 23 January Frey was apparently still prepping the body, I had yet to receive a color sample
: : for my approval, this from Frey:

: : Hey Mark Im on schedule here shot acrylics this week
: : its goign to be 40 tomorrow so no spraying but im still
: : on prepping your strat so when its ready to spray
: : I think the weather will be nice again im on it
: : so bear with me

: : Apparently in the intervening five weeks, he still had not managed to get my body prepped.
: : Frey did send me some poor quality scans or colors (he shot digital pictures of a color chip
: : chart), but no sample was forthcoming.

: : Two months into the process, still no body, no word from Frey. I had left him alone, guessing
: : that his time would be better spent in doing the work I had paid him to do than in answering
: : email. On Saturdy, February 12, I wrote Frey about the status of my guitar and received the
: : following:

: : Mark Im on it I havea family emergency need to leave next week
: : ill be back at it midweek or so will advise progress thanks for hanging in
: : there
: : will be well worth it Frey

: : Two weeks later, February 27, I wrote Frey again, requesting an update, and wanting to know
: : when he planned to finish the job, and I received the following:

: : Mark your guitar is being finished now its not compete nor dry yet to send.
: : I have been on it it will be done as promised just not ready to box yet.
: : My digital camera is on the blink or id send shots now.
: : I will finish it up within two weeks

: : Given the promise of "within two weeks" on Febryary 27, I waited until March 22 (almost a
: : month) before demanding my body back. The body was mailed to me on Thursday, 23 March
: : and I received it on Monday, 27 March.

: : Now, I could have handled the delays if, as promised, the work was of high quality. I could
: : have even handled the fact that he did not, as promised, send me a color sample for approval in
: : advance if he had used the correct color.

: : However, the refinish job is, in my opinion, terrible. The finish is dull, and lumpy, with a texture
: : that is rough to the touch. There are numerous flecks of dirt, etc. UNDER the finish. There
: : appears to be no clear coat at all, as the finish is very dull, almost matte in appearance. There
: : were several small dings (no wood removed) in the forearm contour that Frey had agreed to
: : prep out before the refin (fairly simple), instead he applied the finish right over them. Instead of
: : using a bright gold color like the "Aztec" or "Firemist" gold requested (we had also discussed
: : the color often called "Shoreline" which is in fact a one-off custom color), Frey used a pale gold
: : with a sickly greenish tint. Had Frey, as requested, provided me with a sample of this color in
: : advance I would never have agreed to it. The finish, as applied, appears to be extremely thick
: : and does not appear to have been sanded or buffed at all.

: : I have had a number of guitars refinished over the years, including a '57 Strat, a '62 Strat, and a
: : '63 Strat, plus owning a number of other instruments which have been refinished, so I do have
: : more than a little experience with the average quality of refinish work, and this work, in my
: : opinion, does not meet any commonly accepted standard. I've never seen a refinish job on a
: : guitar that looked this poor - and this includes those done with cans of spray paint!

: : Contacting Frey and requesting a refund, as he did not adhere to any of his promises, or
: : provide a quality job, his response was less than helpful:

: : Please sir Im not going to refund anything I shot an aztec gold body
: : in the original finish from the original source that fender got it from
: : Im sorry you cant be pleased with that I did exactly what I said id do
: : good day sir

: : Ok you sent me a body that was shot in the wrong color
: : I redid it for 300 dollars I returned your body
: : end of story

: : To date (8 June 1999) I have not received a refund, nor has any attempt been made by Frey to
: : resolve this. I would recommend that anyone considering doing business with Frey spend some
: : time researching reviews of his work. I have been contacted by a surprising number of people
: : who claim to have had eerily similar experiences with Frey, so it's apparent to me that this was
: : more than an isolated incident. Anyone wanting more information about this: copies of all the
: : emails, pictures of the work, or any other information, feel free to contact me!

: : Mark Deavult
: : mark@inna.net

RON HAS CONTACTED ME

UPDATE 12/02>>>>Ron has since contacted me and is well on his way to building me a very fine guitar. During the time I was out of contact with him, Ron had to deal with personal family issues, a relocation and setting up a new shop. HE was VERY APOLOGETIC and took the time to explain his situation to me. I now am in contact with him on a daily basis, and have received digital photos of the progress. I ONLY POSTED so NEGATIVELY when I was out of contact with him, and again, I STATE, HE IS ON TRACK and BUILDING a very FINE, Complicated archtop guitar. Ron will be very personable with you.....so don't pay attention to my earlier post. ANY ?s or a recommendation from me about ROn can be had at: godavidcoleman@yahoo.com.

: : I've been waiting over ONE YEAR for a guitar that he was supposed to build for me, in exchange for over $600 worth of effects. I've sent numerous email, begging for this guitar. It has now been over two months that I have had no contact with him.

:
: : After finding his website (http://frey.home.texas.net/), I contacted Ron Frey of Frey Giutars in
: : Buda, Texas on December 12, 1999 about refinishing a Fender Stratocaster body. He offered
: : to refinish the body in a time span of no more than a month and a half, as follows in his

: : The body was to be stripped down to bare wood, sanded and prepped, with any dings or body
: : imperfections to be repaired before the refinish. Frey agreed to send me a color sample in
: : advance of the refinish for my approval, as shown in Frey's emails to me on 12 December

: : Payment was to be made by Money Order or cashier's check. I overnighted the body and

: : The body was sent FedEx Next Day Air (cost $80), received by Frey on Tuesday December
: : 14, 1999. Payment by certified check was sent the same day by US Next-Day Express Mail
: : (Cost $20) and received by Frey on the same day, Tuesday, December 14, 1999.

: : Frey had, in his previous communications, promised to mix and send me color samples once he
: : got the box from me. On 20 December 1999 I received the following from Frey:

: : Ill be gone this week for Christmas but back at it next week. Once the chart

: : By 23 January Frey was apparently still prepping the body, I had yet to receive a color sample

: : Apparently in the intervening five weeks, he still had not managed to get my body prepped.
: : Frey did send me some poor quality scans or colors (he shot digital pictures of a color chip

: : Two months into the process, still no body, no word from Frey. I had left him alone, guessing
: : that his time would be better spent in doing the work I had paid him to do than in answering
: : email. On Saturdy, February 12, I wrote Frey about the status of my guitar and received the

: : Two weeks later, February 27, I wrote Frey again, requesting an update, and wanting to know

: : Given the promise of "within two weeks" on Febryary 27, I waited until March 22 (almost a
: : month) before demanding my body back. The body was mailed to me on Thursday, 23 March

: : Now, I could have handled the delays if, as promised, the work was of high quality. I could
: : have even handled the fact that he did not, as promised, send me a color sample for approval in

: : However, the refinish job is, in my opinion, terrible. The finish is dull, and lumpy, with a texture
: : that is rough to the touch. There are numerous flecks of dirt, etc. UNDER the finish. There
: : appears to be no clear coat at all, as the finish is very dull, almost matte in appearance. There
: : were several small dings (no wood removed) in the forearm contour that Frey had agreed to
: : prep out before the refin (fairly simple), instead he applied the finish right over them. Instead of
: : using a bright gold color like the "Aztec" or "Firemist" gold requested (we had also discussed
: : the color often called "Shoreline" which is in fact a one-off custom color), Frey used a pale gold
: : with a sickly greenish tint. Had Frey, as requested, provided me with a sample of this color in
: : advance I would never have agreed to it. The finish, as applied, appears to be extremely thick

: : I have had a number of guitars refinished over the years, including a '57 Strat, a '62 Strat, and a
: : '63 Strat, plus owning a number of other instruments which have been refinished, so I do have
: : more than a little experience with the average quality of refinish work, and this work, in my
: : opinion, does not meet any commonly accepted standard. I've never seen a refinish job on a
: : guitar that looked this poor - and this includes those done with cans of spray paint!

: : Contacting Frey and requesting a refund, as he did not adhere to any of his promises, or

: : To date (8 June 1999) I have not received a refund, nor has any attempt been made by Frey to
: : resolve this. I would recommend that anyone considering doing business with Frey spend some
: : time researching reviews of his work. I have been contacted by a surprising number of people
: : who claim to have had eerily similar experiences with Frey, so it's apparent to me that this was
: : more than an isolated incident. Anyone wanting more information about this: copies of all the
: : emails, pictures of the work, or any other information, feel free to contact me!

: : I've been waiting over ONE YEAR for a guitar that he was supposed to build for me, in exchange for over $600 worth of effects. I've sent numerous email, begging for this guitar. It has now been over two months that I have had no contact with him.

:

Mark I see the lawsuit for 10,000 dollars for slander didnt
set in with you remeber the letter to stop slandering my name my attorney sent it to your mother and to you?
Ill be contacting him tomorrow again to settle this you dont seem to understand the law so here we go one more time..

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2022 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.