levin guitars

Posted by greg anderson on Tue, 08/27/02 - 02:46:27.

i/we have no idea of the value or rarity of these norwegian guitars; circa 1966-7 , acoustic six strings with full documentation, from original reciept and sales brouchers to former owner. We have all documentation and factory instructions,plus factory options ,including cases, pics, etc.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

LT 18

I was reading the posts on the forum and checked the serial number on my LT`18. the number is 4644 06. Does that make sense? Wasn`t sure about the space between the first four numbers and the last two.
Thanks for your help,

Lee

value

Hello im from Holland i have a Guitar from Levin A.B Herman CCarlson year 1950

serial nr 238572 and there is a 19 at the end of the serialnr but dont know what it means

Look at this link you see the pictures
http://m.marktplaats.nl/a/muziek-en-instrumenten/snaarinstrumenten-overige/m806832029-gitaar-levin-a-b-herman-carlson-1950.html?c=efb2ef4dc323389c4f92ed10afa33e3a&previousPage=lr

Re: levin guitars

My father gave me a levin guitar a few years ago, he bought in 2nd hand in the mid sixties for £50, from a friend. The guitar is an electic accoustic, with a sun burst finish and it is by far the best guitar I own for sound and smooth action.

I have a Levin LT-18 jumbo which I bought second-hand in Sound City, London in Summer 1972. I was asked to try it out when I was really trying out a new Gibson acoustic and a Martin. The sound was so rich and mellow (even then!) that after about 3 hours I just had to choose it above the others.
I have never been able to determine the year of manufacture as a few short years after buying it, Levin was absorbed by Martin who do not appear to have any information on Levin models.
The guitar has the serial number 488323
I would love to find out when it was built.

Finally, after much "googling" I found the list of Levin serial numbers on the Vintage Goya Guitars site which not only confirmed that the guitar was built in 1968 but also had a copy of the original 1968 Levi Catalogue (in Swedish). The catalogue also confirmed that the guitar was made of first-class materials, no wonder Martin bought them out, it would have been worth while just to have access to their stock of wood.

I bought a new blonde Levin LT-18 Super Goliath, serial number 480812 in December 1967 for £60, and I still have it. It is still a beautiful looking/sounding guitar, very similar to the Martin D-41. I guess yours was made around 66-68. Mine has 6 individually height adjustable bridge pieces, instead of a single one, and a drop down bridge just like the Martin.

After the bridge string-locator pins broke, I had to buy a set of Martins, but had to ream out the bridge holes since the Martins are bigger. The action is therefore easily adjustable like on a strat, and it is great for fingerpicking, with a perfect fingerboard width.

Hope you can find more info. Cheers Mike

Re: levin LT 18

My Levin LT 18 was bought in 1966, in Hong Kong, and bears the serial number 464349. Hope this is of use in your quest.
Alan Jones manufacture as a few short years after buying it, Levin was absorbed by Martin who do not appear to have any information on Levin models.
: The guitar has the serial number 488323
: I would love to find out when it was built.

Re: levin LT 18

: My Levin LT 18 was bought in 1966, in Hong Kong, and bears the serial number 464349. Hope this is of use in your quest.
: Alan Jones My Levin LT18 was bought in Charing Cross Rd London second hand in 1969 and I wrote to the Levin factory who sent me a leaflet and told me it was made in 1965. Serial no. is 463427. They sent me a leaflet showing the Levin guitar range. This was I believe just after Martin took them over.

Geoff manufacture as a few short years after buying it, Levin was absorbed by Martin who do not appear to have any information on Levin models.
: : The guitar has the serial number 488323
: : I would love to find out when it was built.

Levin LT18

I recently bought what I believe to be a Levin LT18. It has the offset mother of pearl markers on the finger board and the individually adjustable saddles for each string but the serila number is 3584. I understand that the serial number indicates it was manufactured around 1905(!) but the guitar was only marketed from the 1960s.

Have I bought a fake?

It sounds pretty good.............

I went to www.gitarren.se/radotips/sernr_levin.html to find out the age of my Goliath - which I have had since buying it from a school friend in the mid `60s - where there is a comprehensive list of years and their serial numbers. Yours would seem to be a 1968 model.
They are excellent guitars and easily out do, as sound goes, any Gibson or Martin of more recent manufacture. I cannot vouch for those produced at the same time, but they now cost several thousand pounds.
I hope this helped.

: I have a Levin LT-18 jumbo which I bought second-hand in Sound City, London in Summer 1972. I was asked to try it out when I was really trying out a new Gibson acoustic and a Martin. The sound was so rich and mellow (even then!) that after about 3 hours I just had to choose it above the others.
: I have never been able to determine the year of manufacture as a few short years after buying it, Levin was absorbed by Martin who do not appear to have any information on Levin models.
: The guitar has the serial number 488323
: I would love to find out when it was built.
Hi Leslie
-Your Guitar is build i Sweden 1968. Selected austrien spruce
deck. Maple sides and back.
Your lucky having that one!
Gretings
Kjeld Wehner
Denmark

I have a levin sunburst non cutaway archtop, f-holes, with a silver label inside, reading 'Herman Carlson levin, and 10 ars (year?) garanti (guarantee) which has a beautiful mellow tone, and plays like a dream, such low action it's quite amazing on a very low ebony archtop bridge with thumbwheels. The serial number stamped in the end of the headstock is 119961, which I think dates it around 1939??? It has a pearl inlay of a scripted Levin on a black headstock. A bit of crazing on the body, but it must be 60+ years old and the neck is straight as a die and solidly joined to the body. Are these collectable or just a well made guitar lost to time. never seen another. It also has a hofner senator type pickguard with an old de armond floating pick up attached. vol & tone knobs on the pickguard. The only thing I replaced was the tailpiece for a genuie gibson one as it had split i the chrome along the bottom fixing bracket and would pull out of tune. Thought i'd bought a dud but the new tailpiece made it. it's superb if a little aged. An ideas? Neil

: i/we have no idea of the value or rarity of these norwegian guitars; circa 1966-7 , acoustic six strings with full documentation, from original reciept and sales brouchers to former owner. We have all documentation and factory instructions,plus factory options ,including cases, pics, etc.

norwegian? I think they were made in sweden..In Göteborg.

: i/we have no idea of the value or rarity of these norwegian guitars; circa 1966-7 , acoustic six strings with full documentation, from original reciept and sales brouchers to former owner. We have all documentation and factory instructions,plus factory options ,including cases, pics, etc.

: I should be interested to know what guitars you have, if you still have them!

To set the record right, the Levin guitars are a Swedish guitar built in Gothenburg, Sweden. I have an old classical/nylon string model which I purchased back around 1971. Needs some work to get back in shape but still has great tone and feel. Back then they cost the equivalent of a a few hundred $'s, up to the top of the line which was probably around $600 or so. They made both steel and nylon string guitars.

: : i/we have no idea of the value or rarity of these norwegian guitars; circa 1966-7 , acoustic six strings with full documentation, from original reciept and sales brouchers to former owner. We have all documentation and factory instructions,plus factory options ,including cases, pics, etc.

dear sir or madam. I have a Levin steel six-string model number LN26 It was bought in Dublin in the early sixties (I think) I have to repair it but I would love to know from what year it is and if there were many made. The string length is 24 and 3/4 and it has individual string height adjusters.- little plastic screws set into the bridge, which I find a bit naff. Any iknfo would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Pearse: To set the record right, the Levin guitars are a Swedish guitar built in Gothenburg, Sweden. I have an old classical/nylon string model which I purchased back around 1971. Needs some work to get back in shape but still has great tone and feel. Back then they cost the equivalent of a a few hundred $'s, up to the top of the line which was probably around $600 or so. They made both steel and nylon string guitars.

: : : i/we have no idea of the value or rarity of these norwegian guitars; circa 1966-7 , acoustic six strings with full documentation, from original reciept and sales brouchers to former owner. We have all documentation and factory instructions,plus factory options ,including cases, pics, etc.

I've got two Levin guitars - an acoustic archtop and an electric archtop - the electric was made in 1959. They're Swedish and were made from 1900 - 1977 - I think they're fairly common - I've seen four or five in Adelaide, South Australia for around AU$600 - AU$1500

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.