Guitarsite Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics yamaha FG-340T

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I have a 340T that I bought about 20 years ago from a friend for $100 because he couldn’t learn to play it.It is like new and I play it off and on . Nice guitar.I also have a FG 340 Yamaha that I bout new about 1978 or so.I played many a gig with that one and still very good condition.The 340T has a little more ring I think.Probally because of the flat finish vs. a high gloss on the 340.
      good playing everyone.

Anonymous

I bought my FG-340T new from Rivers Music in Middletown, CT the day after HS graduation foe $179.99.

It has never let me down. Plays better than the Martins I have run across. Picked it up today for the first time in 3 years. Plays great even wih old strings.

Thank you Yamaha.

Anonymous

I have a December 4th 1984 Yamaha FG340T (tinted) LTD in very great condition with a carrier case…Yamaha Japan chrome tuners, beautiful guitar kept in a smoke/pet free clean home. Any reasonable offers or questions feel free to email. Thanks for reading.

Derek

Anonymous

Enjoyed all the comments on this guitar. I picked it up today and played it. No joke, even better than last time I played it. I keep it in humidity controlled room and in it’s case. I hand picked this guitar out for my Dad and I believe it was 1981. Mom asked if I wouldn’t mind picking out a guitar for my Dad. Well, I did good. I believe the fret board is ebony and so is the bridge. This one has been played only by my Dad and he’s been gone 18 years and I’ve had it all this time. I remember the day I picked this guitar out, I had played the ‘upper end’ Yamahas. This one was perfect. I knew my Dad’s style of playing. Smooth and low action. I didn’t expect the guitar to get better…maybe somewhat. I know the top is the tinted spruce and the back and sides are not Mahogany, it’s Rosewood. Another sign of a great guitar is it has binding on the neck. That really stabilizes the neck and your hand slides better with more persist hand and finger chording. Neck is exactly the same. Has not moved. I am saying that this guitar is very stable and has added tone to it’s playing through the years. I do remember the guitar was $300-$345. Mom didn’t want to pay that much but it was a great investment and well worth the money, even in those days. I told her it’s this one or wait and see if we can find something cheaper, but you do get what you pay for. I saw in one of the articles above $600… maybe, but wait a little longer and you will have an investment, but the TLC will have to be the same as it has been. Oh, one other thing, I told it out to play and check on it…did not even have to tune it. Well made guitar. Ok, just wanted to find something on this guitar and with everyone’s help and me being the one owner (my Dad’s) I can testify to everything that has been said. Thanks every one, oh, ps…no strap button so no hole drilled…that’s original. LOL Pam Dahl

Anonymous

I bought one in a pawn shop in 1986. I had Martins at home but to be honest, the 340T soon became my favorite. Without doubt, it is overall the best guitar I have ever owned. I’ve used many combinations on strings and nothing is ever bad. This guitar is as good as any Martin and handles smoother than most. All high quality guitars have strengths and weaknesses. But, when I add up everything, the Yamaha FG340T can’t be beat. Get one if you can find one. They are in a class with very, very few other fine guitars. My guess is that the price for them will one day skyrocket.

Anonymous

I recently bought FG340T yamaha guitar at a yard sale, There is one minor mark on it, it came with a hard case, a tuner and a clamp(I don’t know the name for it) that goes across the strings. I paid $180.00 for all. I am just wondering if I paid too much for it. Can anyone tell me? I bought it for my son who is taking lessons. Thanks

Anonymous

THIS PARTICULAR MODEL BLOWS AWAY MANY BIG BRAND NAMES ON THE MARKET TODAY. THIS IS A SURE KEEPER OUT OF MY 20 GUITARS.

EXCELLENT PROJECTION, VERY WARM AND POWERFUL BASSES. I USE D’ADDARIO FOLK NYLON WITH SILVER PLATED BASSES (EJ32) FOR THE 3RD STRING I USE AN ELECTRIC GUITAR 3RD. FOR THE 2ND & 1ST STRINGS I USE D’ADDARIO (EXP10) GUAGE 14 & 10

THIS COMBINATION GIVES THIS YAMAHA FG 340T AN AWESOME JAZZ TONE THAT IS HARD TO BE MATCHED BY MANY BIG NAME ACOUSTICS.

I HAVE NOT SEEN AS YET ANY YAMAHA MODELS THAT HAS REPLACED THIS MODEL. FG 340T SO FOLKS HOLD ONTO YOURS REAL TIGHT CAUSE IT IS IN VINTAGE CATEGORY AND CAN ONLY INCREASE IN VALUE AS IT AGES FURTHER. POLISH IT REGULARLY AND APPLY LEMON OIL TO THE FINGERBOARD TO PRESERVE. ENJOY IT, ITS MY FAVOURITE ACOUSTIC FOR PERFORMING.

Anonymous

I purchased mine when I was 10 years old, back in the early 80’s. It’s been through my life with me. I’ve owned over 20 different guitars over the years, bought and sold, traded and pawned, but NEVER does this Yamaha leave my possession. It is the best guitar I’ve ever had.
      A few years back I did some studio work for a friend. As the techs were setting up the mics to capture my guitar sounds they came running into the sound booth to see what guitar I was playing. They said it had the best sound they’d ever heard (and it wasn’t a two-bit studio)
      You can’t go wrong with it – I’d even pay money to have a luthier repair it if you came across a damaged one.
      Great guitar.

Anonymous

FOUND ONE……..NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO IS BUY IT…….PLEASE LORD DON’T LET ANYONE ELSE HAVE IT!

Anonymous

My mother-in-law has one rarely used that she’d like to sell. What is one in perfect condition worth with a hard case?

Anonymous

Do you still have the guitar?

Anonymous

I have a yamaha 340T series.Aparently the T behind the FG 340 means tint ,it has a tea stain look.They are a early 80`s model and sold new back then for approx. 350.00 – 400.00.I love mine it has a great sound and its in super great condition .I wouldn`t take 600.00 for it.I played lots of guitars from takamine to taylor and far as sound I don`t think I could replace it for a 600.00 guitar today.

Anonymous

: trying to find some info about this guitar–thx Hey i got a Yamaha FG-340T for Christmas and i was just wondering if someone could tell me some information about the guitar like when they first came out and how much they cost and things like that.

Anonymous

I have a yamaha 340T series.Aparently the T behind the FG 340 means tint ,it has a tea stain look.They are a early 80`s model and sold new back then for approx. 350.00 – 400.00.I love mine it has a great sound and its in super great condition .I wouldn`t take 600.00 for it.I played lots of guitars from takamine to taylor and far as sound I don`t think I could replace it for a 600.00 guitar today.

Anonymous

Its a great guitar. I have one i’ve been playing for ten years. Its sustained damage to teh body and it still sounds pretty great. Don’t confuse this with the FG-300A series. This is a better guitar, search for FG-340 you’ll probably find a lot more good reviews. It seems like most of these were built in the late 70’s or early 80’s. Does anyone have any indication otherwise? Those of you that received them more recently as gifts, were they used?

Anonymous

I bought my FG-340T around 1987. I bought it new from a music store that was going out of buisness. At the time the retail was $350.00. I paid $200.00. I love the tone. I can’t find any details on the Yamaha site.

Anonymous

I also have a Yamaha FG-340T and cannot find any information on it. I also love mine and feel the same way about its excellent tone and action. I got mine used for around $300 and feel that it was an excellent deal even though the guitar is probably only worth that much. I would put it with the best of them even though I am not a professional player, I have many friends who are and I am not ashamed to bring this one out in that company. I do not know why this model number is not listed in the Yamaha site under older models. There is an FG-300A but I am not sure how it differs from mine. If you find any more information could you foreward me a link? Thanks.

Anonymous

: I also have a Yamaha FG-340T and cannot find any information on it. I also love mine and feel the same way about its excellent tone and action. I got mine used for around $300 and feel that it was an excellent deal even though the guitar is probably only worth that much. I would put it with the best of them even though I am not a professional player, I have many friends who are and I am not ashamed to bring this one out in that company. I do not know why this model number is not listed in the Yamaha site under older models. There is an FG-300A but I am not sure how it differs from mine. If you find any more information could you foreward me a link? Thanks. Spooner, sometimes you just get lucky. You Did!! F.J.Corbin

Anonymous

: I also have a Yamaha FG-340T and cannot find any information on it. I also love mine and feel the same way about its excellent tone and action. I got mine used for around $300 and feel that it was an excellent deal even though the guitar is probably only worth that much. I would put it with the best of them even though I am not a professional player, I have many friends who are and I am not ashamed to bring this one out in that company. I do not know why this model number is not listed in the Yamaha site under older models. There is an FG-300A but I am not sure how it differs from mine. If you find any more information could you foreward me a link? Thanks. Spooner, sometimes you just get lucky. You Did!! F.J.Corbin

Anonymous

: trying to find some info about this guitar–thx Hey I have one and I bought it new about 1985 in a Guitar shop in Parkersburg WV. Since then I have had a Taylor, and lately a Tacoma. And sure enough I seem to always go back to playing my cheap yami. It has graet action and the older it gets the better it sounds I had a cheap preamp placed in it for practice, But now I am thinking of installing a Fishman, and saying the heck with all this guitar hype and just bring it out of retirement and start using it in my gigs again. Does it sound better then my ex-taylor NO but its got the best action and when I amp it I can get any sound I need.. I can only recall a better guitar in my days when I was in the service in the 1970’s it was a univox humingbird copy. Which ended up in a south carolina pawn shop somewhere, and to this day and may I add a long time agao, I can still remember the action,it was great to none ever I have compared and found. I am really discontent with the new high price guitars these days and I am old enough not to be ragged about "just an old yamaha" I play beside martins,Guilds,Gibsons and Taylors and everytime its" Mind if I play your guitar" Mind if I borrow your car is my reply.. So dont know much about History of it but its still my ace acoustic……..Don. PS. What the heck… I gonna use it tonight at the gig..

Anonymous

: trying to find some info about this guitar–thx Hey I have one and I bought it new about 1985 in a Guitar shop in Parkersburg WV. Since then I have had a Taylor, and lately a Tacoma. And sure enough I seem to always go back to playing my cheap yami. It has graet action and the older it gets the better it sounds I had a cheap preamp placed in it for practice, But now I am thinking of installing a Fishman, and saying the heck with all this guitar hype and just bring it out of retirement and start using it in my gigs again. Does it sound better then my ex-taylor NO but its got the best action and when I amp it I can get any sound I need.. I can only recall a better guitar in my days when I was in the service in the 1970’s it was a univox humingbird copy. Which ended up in a south carolina pawn shop somewhere, and to this day and may I add a long time agao, I can still remember the action,it was great to none ever I have compared and found. I am really discontent with the new high price guitars these days and I am old enough not to be ragged about "just an old yamaha" I play beside martins,Guilds,Gibsons and Taylors and everytime its" Mind if I play your guitar" Mind if I borrow your car is my reply.. So dont know much about History of it but its still my ace acoustic……..Don. PS. What the heck… I gonna use it tonight at the gig..

Anonymous

not too sure about that model but i know that all yamahas are a good buy.

Anonymous

I traded a buddy of mine a .45 caliber pistol for my Yamaha FG 340T. After I played it, I told him I had to have the guitar. I absolutely love the way it plays and sounds. Like yourself, I am trying to find out some info. about the guitar and am not having any success in finding any. My buddy wanted $300.00 for the guitar and thats about what I had in the gun. It was well worth it! If you have found any info. on the guitar please let me know, I’d sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Anonymous

I Just purchased a Yamaha FG 340-T for $ 140. Canadian and it came with a hard shell case. I would say it is in Good condition with a few minor dents and scratches.I was curious about information on this guitar and nothing was posted on the internet, so i e-mailed the [email protected] Here is the reply.Yamaha FG 340-T were made between 1981-90 and retailed new for $280.00 U.S.,Spuce top,Mahogany back and sides,Nato neck,Indian rosewood fretboard.This Guitar has a great sound like all yamaha acoustics I have owned,Playability I would rate as excellent,I hope this information helps,..Regards………Stewart

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.