Re: Sigma Martin Electric Guitar

Posted by David on Tue, 10/15/02 - 18:36:33.

: I am trying to find some information on an electric guitar (solid body) that Martin made in the mid to late 70's (I believe). I can't seem to find any info on the web and don't currently have the guitar available to get a model number. I would like to find out its worth and maybe a little history on why C.F. Martin ever even made an electric. Any help would be appreciated.

: Thanks,

: Bill

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I have a blonde Gibson SG copy Sigma purchased in 1975. The finish is still excellent. The only changes made to the guitar are pick-ups and the tuners. It plays great and has a warm sound. It weighs more than the SG though.
Fitz

Here's the history

In brief, the guitar you describe was made in Japan on behalf of CF Martin by the Tokai company. You own either an SBG2-6 or an SBG2-9 (depending on hardware) made between 1973 and 74.

Martin has made several electric series over the years. They are all very collectible:

E-suffix electro acoustics, 1959-1964 (D-18E, D-28E, OO-18E)
F series electric archtops, 1961-65 (F-50, 55 and 65)
GT series electric thinlines 1966-8 (GT-70, GT-75)
Tokai Manufactured copies 1973-4 (SBG2-6, 2-9, SBF2-6, -8)
18 series solid electrics 1979-80 (E-18, EM-18 EB-18 bass)
28 series solid electrics 1980-82 E-28, EB-28 bass
Some Korean made copies with the 'Stinger' label 1985-1989.

Martin stopped making electrics because their core market is acoustics, and they do those best, bluntly. I've interviewed the people involved to try to get to the bottom of the whole thing, and that's basically it.

I have all the records the factory has, and then some :-)

Regards

Andy Marshall
Author, Martin Electrics guitars

Sigma sbg2-9

I think I have one of these however there arent many pics of this and everything that i see isnt quit right. Mine looks like the SBG2-9 but does not have the whamy bar and has a white plate not black and is blonde. Can you help at all?
Megan

Re: Here's the history

I own one but have never seen another one since I bought mine in 1975

: I own one but have never seen another one since I bought mine in 1975

Just bought an SBF2 tele...love it! Can't find out much info...does anyone know how many were made?

Sigma SBG2-9 Re: Here's the history

I also have one and I have never seen another. The one Vintage Guitar article that briefly mentions it says it has a rosewood fretboard and mine is laminated maple I think. It's certainly one of the greatest guitars I've ever played and I wish I could find out more about it, though I have to say it is interesting that it is such a rare guitar. The only drawback is the bolt on neck. Had these been neck through like the late 70s Martin electrics it would be THE ULTIMATE guitar.

Sigma SBG2-9

I have a natural wood finish and a maple fretboard with gold appliances - the way it came when I bought it in 1974. The only thing I've done is replaced my pickups with DiMarzios. This is a wonderfully crafted and super sounding guitar. And, now I've discovered how RARE this thing is, it would take a chunk of coin to make me part with it.

In 1975, I was given a Martin Sigma SBG2-9 for a graduation gift. Of all the guitars that I've played on stage with, It is the one that gets the most compliments. Its a gorgeous guitar and plays like butter. The only complaint that I have with it, is that it is a bit heavy. For some reason, it seems to feel and play better with age. Thanks for your follow-up on it!

If the SBG2-9 is the guitar with the gold plated hardware and white pickguard, I have one. I am the only owner - had it for years. It is the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen - and it IS hefty in weight. Anyone know anything about it's pickups?

Hi. I have an Sigma Stratocaster-copy that I bought in Sweden(where I live) in 1976. It has a maple-neck an was white before I striped the paint. The paint was real bad,I peeled it of like a hard-boiled egg. Now its beautiful natural ash-finish.

Claggen in Sweden

: : I am trying to find some information on an electric guitar (solid body) that Martin made in the mid to late 70's (I believe). I can't seem to find any info on the web and don't currently have the guitar available to get a model number. I would like to find out its worth and maybe a little history on why C.F. Martin ever even made an electric. Any help would be appreciated.

: : Thanks,

: : Bill
was the guitar a light maple with dark maple strips in the body?

: : I am trying to find some information on an electric guitar (solid body) that Martin made in the mid to late 70's (I believe). I can't seem to find any info on the web and don't currently have the guitar available to get a model number. I would like to find out its worth and maybe a little history on why C.F. Martin ever even made an electric. Any help would be appreciated.

: : Thanks,

: : Bill

I have one of those - double cutaway Sigma guitars and am trying to find out info myself. I contacted Martin and they told me they don't keep records back that far. Dumb!

Does it look like a SG with 2 humbuckers

: Does it look like a SG with 2 humbuckers

Yes, exactly.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.