Re: 50's Kay Electric

Posted by Mark on Sat, 03/11/06 - 22:31:54.

: I would like to identify my kay guitar. there are no #'s anywhere inside or out so I'll describe it. Bound 5 point/bump headstock with inlaid Kay over a letter k in a shield or krest that is also inlaid, Kluson closed back tuners with nickle knobs, aluminum nut, rosewood fretboard with block inlay starting at 1st fret, double bound single cutaway 2 pickup 13" wide maple ply flamy blonde hollowbody with no f holes, the 2 tone & 2 volume knobs are white and look like bottlecaps. grey/white mother of toilet seat pickgaurd, rosewood bridge, chromed brass trapeze tailpiece and the switch knob is a 3/8" X 1" piece of aluminum. The pickups are known not to be original. I've had this guitar for a few years now, love it and just want to know what it is. In reading other posts it looks to be similar to a Barney Kessel Pro but without the Barney Kessel (I wish!) any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Nicholas

This sounds like a modified Kay 161 Jimmie Reed model. It was also called the Twin Thin because the original pick-ups looked like thin lipstick tube pick-ups. I have one and I love it!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: 50's Kay Electric

: : I would like to identify my kay guitar. there are no #'s anywhere inside or out so I'll describe it. Bound 5 point/bump headstock with inlaid Kay over a letter k in a shield or krest that is also inlaid, Kluson closed back tuners with nickle knobs, aluminum nut, rosewood fretboard with block inlay starting at 1st fret, double bound single cutaway 2 pickup 13" wide maple ply flamy blonde hollowbody with no f holes, the 2 tone & 2 volume knobs are white and look like bottlecaps. grey/white mother of toilet seat pickgaurd, rosewood bridge, chromed brass trapeze tailpiece and the switch knob is a 3/8" X 1" piece of aluminum. The pickups are known not to be original. I've had this guitar for a few years now, love it and just want to know what it is. In reading other posts it looks to be similar to a Barney Kessel Pro but without the Barney Kessel (I wish!) any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Nicholas

:
: This sounds like a modified Kay 161 Jimmie Reed model. It was also called the Twin Thin because the original pick-ups looked like thin lipstick tube pick-ups. I have one and I love it!

I have a jpeg of one like mine that someone is mistakenly calling a Barney Kessel Pro. If you want to see it to help me identify, email me at ewill1@cfl.rr.com and I will send a file attachment

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.