dixon guitars

Posted by Josh on Tue, 12/24/02 - 07:45:26.

Hello, my name is josh, this has like absolutely nothing to do with this page, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about dixon acoustic guitars? respond whenever
Thanks-Josh

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Dixon guitars

I own 4 Dixon electric guitars and they are great sounding great playing instruments.I collect everyone I can get my hands on.I was very fortunate to buy the rare Stratocaster copy with the double humbuckers and fat baseball bat neck.A true joy to play.My big hands love that fat neck.The sound is like nothing else(fat tone)and butter smooth neck make it a prized possession.
It's true that very little is known about the Dixon brand guitar.The acoustics are more abundant but not a household name.Keep in mind many of the smaller unknowns try very hard to make a good instrument.Higher price doesn't always mean you will get a better playing/sounding instrument.My Dixons will never need a pickup upgrade as they have perfect pickups with amazing tonal range.
The Korean and Chinese made Dixons also have great pickups and play as well as the MIM Fender strats which I also own for quite a bit less money.I set up my guitars up first thing when i get them if needed which is very easy.
it never hurts to have great tuning pegs.The Dixons are fine but you can always do better.Shaller makes some excellent ones as do others for a price ofcourse.If you plan to keep a guitar for may years then mod it but keep the original parts.You never know if it will be valuable some day in its original condition.

DIXON MODEL DG 18 BK

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT MY DIXON DG 18 BK IS WORTH and what year it was made mm8gaIT WAS MADE IN KOREA

Dixon Guitars

Hi everybody,
Unfortunatley my info on Dixon guitars is limited to what I've been able to find online.
There just doesn't seem to be a great deal know about either the man or his products.

What I can do is relate a story that was told to me by an older gentelman back in the late 60s
As far as it being fact I can't say with any certanity.
The story I was told went like this.........
Dixon was employed by Gibson in their R&D dept.
The Hummingbird was of his design.

The original Birds made by Dixon were built with a solid 1 piece spruce top.
Gibson at the time was taking a beating in the acoustic guitar market and was looking at every way possible to cut costs so rather than staying with the 1 pc.solid spruce top they opted for a mutilpiece laminate top.
Dixon took great exception to the design and material change and shortly there after had a falling out with his bosses at Gibson.
Apparently he left the co.,moved to Japan and began building the Birds to his original specs.

The cost of labor was quite low in Japan in those days so Dixon was able to sell a superior guitar for much less than Gibson could even by building their guitars with inferior materials.
Of course Gibson sued Dixon and pretty much ended his guitar building days.
It's my understanding of all the Hummingbird knockoffs out there from the 70s the Dixon Hummingbirds are the best of the bunch as far as quality and sound goes.
I have no way of knowing how true this story is but we all know Gibson was struggling in the acoustic market back then and the Japanese are the greatest copy cats in the world often taking a product they copied and making it better than the original.

What I can address from my own experience is the superior quality of the early Alvarez Dove acoustic guitars over the much more expensive Gibson Doves of that time period.
I own an Alvarez Dove and will put it's quality and sound against any Gibson acoustic guitar then or today.
My 1971 Alvarez Dove is one sweet,mellow old songbird !!

Dixson model 683 acoustic guitar

Does anyone know what year the 683 model was made in? My uncle was asking me to find out for him. Thanks

Dixon DG 2

I have a Dixon DG 2 acoustic guitar and was wondering how much its worth.

Re: dixon guitars

: Hello, my name is josh, this has like absolutely nothing to do with this page, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about dixon acoustic guitars? respond whenever
: Thanks-Josh

: : Hello, my name is josh, this has like absolutely nothing to do with this page, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about dixon acoustic guitars? respond whenever
: : Thanks-Josh

Hey Josh, I have a auditorium size Dixon that my Dad bought for me 50 years ago. I've had some work done on it over the years but it still plays great. I don't know the model No. but it is definately American made, has a solid neck with no truss rod. I think Dad paid $50.00 for it in about 1952.

: : : Hello, my name is josh, this has like absolutely nothing to do with this page, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about dixon acoustic guitars? respond whenever
: : : Thanks-Josh

: Hey Josh, I have a auditorium size Dixon that my Dad bought for me 50 years ago. I've had some work done on it over the years but it still plays great. I don't know the model No. but it is definately American made, has a solid neck with no truss rod. I think Dad paid $50.00 for it in about 1952.

I have a Dixon 12 String that I bought in 1990 for $800 it's a model DG 18-12, On the head stock it's got at the very top edge "Est. 1942" with "Dixon" just below it both in mother of pearl inlay. It's a great sounding guitar that I know next to nothing about. If anyone has any information to pass on to Josh, please pass it on to me cfaust@sport.rr.com please put the words "Dixon Guitar" in the subject line so I don't confuse it with spam. Thank you to all who read and reply.

1960 / '70s Dixon Model 756 "Craftsman Made" Japan

I just found a similar guitar locally. Square Sholder Dreadnought. Gibson shapped headstock with pearl, pearl inlad neck and bridge. Three piece back with inlay. Looks like a solid spruce top and rosewood back and sides.

Looks like a Gibson Song Bird / Dove.

Did anybody ever find out anything about these gits?

Thanks,

Rob

Dixon Acoustic Guitar Model 762MS

I own a Dixon acoustic guitar model 762MS. This was craftsman made in the 1960s in Japan by a company supposedly started by an exiled Gibson engineer who basically made copycat designs of American classics. The model that I have looks like a Martin D-45 body style but I wanted more information on the following traits that the guitar has. I am not interested in the value of the guitar, only in its construction.

*** It appears to have spruce top and the back, sides, and neck are made of flamed maple.
*** It also appears that the back, which is a 3 piece construction, has a center strip that is made of Brazilian rosewood. I say this because I recently visited the Martin factory in Nazareth and was able to see and touch samples of guitar wood. Obviously, though, I am not an expert. I would also say that the fretboard and the bridge are of the same material.
*** The guitar is also trimmed in pearl, at least to my eye, including on the headstock, the binding, the rosetting, and the inlay on the fretboard.

Does anyone have any information on this guitar or the company? Would anyone know where I could begin searching for an original case?

Thanks!

need info on Dixon acoustic guitars please

Richard X here, I need info on Dixon acoustic guitars...concerning: Dixon acoustic model:DG-5
Thanks

dixon guitar

could you give me some info. about a dixon guitar It reads inside model DG-9 20 ANNVERSARY LIMITED EDITION.
MADE IN JAPAN. Marys music Any info would be greatly app.
thanks very much
Paul

Re: need info on Dixon acoustic guitars please

: Richard X here, I need info on Dixon acoustic guitars...concerning: Dixon acoustic model:DG-5
: Thanks

I bought a Dixon DG-5 in 1985 for 150.00 and have played it ever since. I get compliments all the time on the tone quality. It has been a great instrument and had aged well. JT

DG4AT

I have a dixon dg4at. Wondering if you have found any info on pricing for sale. I need to get rid of it.

I have a Dixon DG-3NT Guitar that i am wanting to sell. Two of its strings are plastic wire but still sounds work can use some woek and love and care. I need to know how much i should sell it for? thanx

Hi, i recently bought a DG 4 AT. Could you tell me what year it was made????Or anything at all. It's a decent ax for an acoustic. was made in korea. Thanx, Jerry.

: Richard X here, I need info on Dixon acoustic guitars...concerning: Dixon acoustic model:DG-5
: Thanks

I have a Dixon SD-10D Acoustic guitar I am wanting to sell.

I have a Dixon SD-10D Acoustic guitar I am looking to sell. It is in pretty good shape, I have had it for about 5 years now and I never play it. It was given to me as a gift so I have no clue what its worth. It has some light dings on the back of the body and neck. It sounds great and is a nice guitar. These are very hard to find!!! I live in Iowa and wills ship anywhere. Email me with an offer, or if you would like pictures. -Jeremy (jeremykone@hotmail.com)

hi... i have an acoustic dixon dg-5... i was wondering if anyone had any info... email me... sissidevore@yahoo.com thanks... sissi

Re: need info on Dixon SGN-C81 acoustic guitars please

hi..i have a model SGN-C81 Dixon guitar...anyone have any info on it, please e-mail me ...Thanks

Iwould like information on a Dixon Hummingbird Guitar made in the 1960's Model no684/6 It also has R 4216 S on a plate on the neck where the tuning keys are

1960s Dixon Hummingbird 684.6

This instrument is exact copy of the Gibson Hummingbird,made in Japan, purchased by me 1969. I was told by dealer that a former employee of Gibson had started his own co. in Japan and copied the Gibson. Quality, looks, sound/tone meet or exceed the original Gibson in my opinion. 35 years later it has only gotten better. I have no information on the mfg current status nor whether the story told to me is true. Anyone with accurate info about these intruments please post for those of us in the dark

Re: 1960s Dixon Hummingbird 684.6

: This instrument is exact copy of the Gibson Hummingbird,made in Japan, purchased by me 1969. I was told by dealer that a former employee of Gibson had started his own co. in Japan and copied the Gibson. Quality, looks, sound/tone meet or exceed the original Gibson in my opinion. 35 years later it has only gotten better. I have no information on the mfg current status nor whether the story told to me is true. Anyone with accurate info about these intruments please post for those of us in the dark
i also have the same exact guitar never seen one like it i wdid some research on the guitar theres not much info on it but from what i learned your story is true heres a little more though the desighner was a former employee of gibson left bitter went to japan and copied the guitar after he tried desighning a couple others that failed shortly after the dixon hummingbird came out gibson filed a lawsuit against dixon and from what i heard he stopped making guitars after gibson won the lawsuit atleast thats what i was told i also was told that theres not very many of them out there please let me know if you have any new information

Dixon les paul

I have a Dixon les paul copy, haven't seen another one like it, would love to have a digital catalogue of the 1960's if anyone still has it. I saw 1 dixon hummingbird a few years ago in a new york shop, that was the same dixon logo. would love to know more! i have original case, and will be happy to send photos of it to anyone who can help shed some light. i did replace machine head ivory tuners out, but still have all old originals.

Re: Dixon Hummingbird 684.6

I now own a Dixon Hummingbird that I bought off of my older brother more than once. He and I started our own band as teenagers in the early 1960's and we played music together in a band until the band called it quits in 1970. My brother bought the Dixon in the late 1960's from someone, I don't know who he bought it from or the story behind it, but the guitar has always appeared to be an exact copy of a Gibson Hummingbird.

My brother needed money during the 1970's and he sold the Dixon to me with the option to buy it back someday. He came up with the money a couple of years later and bought it back from me. This happened a couple of more times over the years, the guitar being passed back and forth between us whenever he came up short on money. He finally got the guitar back from me in the late 1980's. Sadly, my brother passed away suddenly in November of 1999 at the age of 52. Since my brother had no wife or children my mother thought that I should have the guitar, so I took it home in November 1999. I just turned 63 in October 2012 and in the year 2013 my Dixon Hummingbird sounds better than ever.

I knew someone that owned a Gibson Hummingbird and I went over and I played that guitar and then picked up my Dixon Humminbird and played it and I couldn't tell any difference in the sound of the guitar nor the way either guitar played. Again, I would never part with this great guitar, I will leave to someone in the family when my time here is over.

Dixon Hummingbird

My dad passed his guitar down to me, and I passed it to my son. Never paid attention to it until I got curious about the label inside. turns out that we have The Hummingbird by Dixon. Sweet guitar, still looks good, plays great. NOT FOR SALE

I had a Dixon Hummingbird that I bought new in 1971 for $55. I also had a Dixon Les Paul Studio ($200) and Dixon J-200 ($100) circa the same period. In 1973 I bought a Gibson Hummingbird and in 1978 I bought a Les Paul Standard. The Dixon's actually had better quality, they all sounded the same. The story I heard was that Alvarez was making Dixon's while they worked out their manufacturing issues and once they did stopped using that label.

Re: 1960s Dixon Hummingbird 684.6 i have one to

: : This instrument is exact copy of the Gibson Hummingbird,made in Japan, purchased by me 1969. I was told by dealer that a former employee of Gibson had started his own co. in Japan and copied the Gibson. Quality, looks, sound/tone meet or exceed the original Gibson in my opinion. 35 years later it has only gotten better. I have no information on the mfg current status nor whether the story told to me is true. Anyone with accurate info about these intruments please post for those of us in the dark
: i also have the same exact guitar never seen one like it i wdid some research on the guitar theres not much info on it but from what i learned your story is true heres a little more though the desighner was a former employee of gibson left bitter went to japan and copied the guitar after he tried desighning a couple others that failed shortly after the dixon hummingbird came out gibson filed a lawsuit against dixon and from what i heard he stopped making guitars after gibson won the lawsuit atleast thats what i was told i also was told that theres not very many of them out there please let me know if you have any new information

I have one exactly like it I bought mine in 1967 It is mint condition and I was kinda wandering what it was worth. I can't find much information, but I have been offered a 1000 dollars for mine. It sounds real nice and looks as good as the day I bought it new. : : This instrument is exact copy of the Gibson Hummingbird,made in Japan, purchased by me 1969. I was told by dealer that a former employee of Gibson had started his own co. in Japan and copied the Gibson. Quality, looks, sound/tone meet or exceed the original Gibson in my opinion. 35 years later it has only gotten better. I have no information on the mfg current status nor whether the story told to me is true. Anyone with accurate info about these intruments please post for those of us in the dark
: i also have the same exact guitar never seen one like it i wdid some research on the guitar theres not much info on it but from what i learned your story is true heres a little more though the desighner was a former employee of gibson left bitter went to japan and copied the guitar after he tried desighning a couple others that failed shortly after the dixon hummingbird came out gibson filed a lawsuit against dixon and from what i heard he stopped making guitars after gibson won the lawsuit atleast thats what i was told i also was told that theres not very many of them out there please let me know if you have any new information

: Hi was given a guitar the other day by a family friend and its missing a couple things on it, it appears to have some sort of name plate gone from it. All I know is that it looks exactly like a Gibson Hummingbird and it was made in Japan. So I want to see if I have a Dixon or not, so if anybody has one, can you please send me pics of the guitar, especially the headstock so I can compare. my email is cjcrichard26@hotmail.com thanks

: : This instrument is exact copy of the Gibson Hummingbird,made in Japan, purchased by me 1969. I was told by dealer that a former employee of Gibson had started his own co. in Japan and copied the Gibson. Quality, looks, sound/tone meet or exceed the original Gibson in my opinion. 35 years later it has only gotten better. I have no information on the mfg current status nor whether the story told to me is true. Anyone with accurate info about these intruments please post for those of us in the dark
I have one of the very few Dixon Humminbird guitars. I'd love to know the value of it if there is any way.Not interested in selling.I've not ever seen another one like it or at least not another Dixon Brand. Any info is greatly appreciated.Thanks

: : : This instrument is exact copy of the Gibson Hummingbird,made in Japan, purchased by me 1969. I was told by dealer that a former employee of Gibson had started his own co. in Japan and copied the Gibson. Quality, looks, sound/tone meet or exceed the original Gibson in my opinion. 35 years later it has only gotten better. I have no information on the mfg current status nor whether the story told to me is true. Anyone with accurate info about these intruments please post for those of us in the dark
: : i also have the same exact guitar never seen one like it i wdid some research on the guitar theres not much info on it but from what i learned your story is true heres a little more though the desighner was a former employee of gibson left bitter went to japan and copied the guitar after he tried desighning a couple others that failed shortly after the dixon hummingbird came out gibson filed a lawsuit against dixon and from what i heard he stopped making guitars after gibson won the lawsuit atleast thats what i was told i also was told that theres not very many of them out there please let me know if you have any new information
: I have one of the very few Dixon Humminbird guitars. I'd love to know the value of it if there is any way.Not interested in selling.I've not ever seen another one like it or at least not another Dixon Brand. Any info is greatly appreciated.Thanks

I bought one new also still got it. A 12 string. There are a couple of differences between the Dixon and Gibson Hummingbird, The Dixon has a 0 fret in front of the nut and a adjustable bridge and cheaper keys. Gibson doesn't use these features. But the action, tone, volume, finish and craftmanship on this 40 year old guitar make it a collectable. I'll put it up against any Gibson made. I wouldn't sell mine for $1000.

ODESSA HUMMINGBIRD GUITAR 60'S MODEL

I have an Odessa Hummingbird, just exactly like the Gibson hummingbird. No zero fret and no adjustable bridge both of which in my experience are found only on cheap acoustic guitars.
The Hummingbird model I have is indeed an incredible guitar. I have Taylors, a Gibson Jumbo, Martins, a Fender, Paul Reed Smith acoustic and a Carvin. This Odessa has long been the guitar that I use as what I call my trunk guitar. I take it to places I wouldn't ordinarily take my more expensive instruments and although I have done a little luthier work on it such as new closed tuners and a new saddle, it hasn't needed much at all and it still plays and sounds great. I helped a friend buy this guitar used from a music store back in the 70's and when he left town he gave it to me. At first I hung onto it just because it was a gift from a friend but it is now and has long since been a legitimate part of my collection of instruments and a part of the family.
I have played Gibson Hummingbirds in music stores and really can't hear much difference and my guitar actually plays better than some of the Gibsons I have played.

Dixon Hummingbird

I purchased a Dixon model 681-S this past October. Does anyone have any info they could share with me on this guitar?

Dixon Hummingbird

I was in Kentucky this past October for an event called "Court Day", it is a 4 day event where you can buy, trade, or barter anything from a hound dog to a shotgun. As I was walking past a gentleman sitting up his table of wares, he pulled out this Dixon guitar. Up until then I had never heard of them. After some "dancing for the price" I bought it for $ 35.00. It sounded good, even with dead rusty strings on it. That night as we watched the TV show " the Voice" one of the contestants was playing a Gibson Hummingbird, and I noticed it looked very much like the guitar I bought. I went on line and found out the story of the guitar, and in my mind, I think I made a very good choice. I have about 15 guitars, and this Dixon sounds as good as any guitar I have ever had, even with the road rash on it. I'm going to invest a little and let my luthier set it up with better tuners and refret it, but even now it has a tone that none of my other guitars have. I've never been one to go with the name brands just for show.....if it sounds good and feels good in my hands, I try to buy it. Well thats my 2 cents worth about the Dixon acoustic guitar I have...Thanks, James.

I have this guitar. My dad bought his in the seventies. Never played it, gave it to me when I was ten. I love the rich feel and tonality. It keeps up with my Taylor 414 in every category besides action. I wouldn't sell it for a thousand either.. or even much more then that. Has monetary value to me that's out the roof.
Of course if I needed money to feed my family I would part with it lol.

: : : : This instrument is exact copy of the Gibson Hummingbird,made in Japan, purchased by me 1969. I was told by dealer that a former employee of Gibson had started his own co. in Japan and copied the Gibson. Quality, looks, sound/tone meet or exceed the original Gibson in my opinion. 35 years later it has only gotten better. I have no information on the mfg current status nor whether the story told to me is true. Anyone with accurate info about these intruments please post for those of us in the dark
: : : i also have the same exact guitar never seen one like it i wdid some research on the guitar theres not much info on it but from what i learned your story is true heres a little more though the desighner was a former employee of gibson left bitter went to japan and copied the guitar after he tried desighning a couple others that failed shortly after the dixon hummingbird came out gibson filed a lawsuit against dixon and from what i heard he stopped making guitars after gibson won the lawsuit atleast thats what i was told i also was told that theres not very many of them out there please let me know if you have any new information
: : I have one of the very few Dixon Humminbird guitars. I'd love to know the value of it if there is any way.Not interested in selling.I've not ever seen another one like it or at least not another Dixon Brand. Any info is greatly appreciated.Thanks

: I bought one new also still got it. A 12 string. There are a couple of differences between the Dixon and Gibson Hummingbird, The Dixon has a 0 fret in front of the nut and a adjustable bridge and cheaper keys. Gibson doesn't use these features. But the action, tone, volume, finish and craftmanship on this 40 year old guitar make it a collectable. I'll put it up against any Gibson made. I wouldn't sell mine for $1000.

Odessa Hummingbird

I also have an Odessa Hummingbird guitar that I helped a friend purchase back in 1982. When he moved away he said he wanted me to have the guitar and I have had it for 32 years. It was a great inexpensive guitar then and has only gotten better with age. I also have never seen another one.
I like many of you have other guitars, 3 Taylors, A Carvin AC 275 a Martin D35, Fender 12 string etc., and I have used the Odessa more than any of them because I have used it as a party guitar and a trunk guitar and it has stayed out in the living room on a stand when the others were being kept in their respective cases. I have used it to work out many of the songs I perform and I use it to practice most of time because it is always handy.
I have no desire whatsoever to sell this guitar but I would like to know the value of it. I don't know why I even started to do this research except for the fact that I realized I had gotten such use from it and had never seen another one like it. I would not be surprised to find that this instrument would someday be worth some serious money as a collectible because of the rarity of it and the quality of the instrument.

I just bought a Dixon Hummingbird on ebay. I have a digtal copy of a 1960 Dixon catalog - 3 pages. Contact me if you'd like it. Still researching.

Dixon Hummingbird

I would love to have a copy of your catalog if you don't mind. thank you.

Catalog

I have a Dixon Hummingbird and would like a digital copy of the catalog.

Thanks,
Mike c

catalog

I have an old dixon and have the same problem of finding info. I would love to have a copy of your catalog.
Thanks,
Brian

1960 dixon catologue

Yes, please email me your digital copy of dixon's guitar catalogue. Thanks

Hi, I purchased a Dixon Hummingbird last year from an old man at a yard sale for $200.00 It model no. is DG6. I saw one on ebay sell for $300 in worse condition than mine. Mine is in very good condition with fading on the pick guard. I couldn't get over the quality sound it distributes.
Anyone interested, it's for sale for $350. Send me a e-mail for pics at ky.villebilly@insightbb.com.

pics of the dixon hummingbird

hello, I would love to see pics of the dixon you have/had to compare headstock logo's to my dixon les paul, purchased in 1967 give or take a year or two. a friend bought it before i had a chance to, but fortunately (for me) I was able to get it off of him after a few years. I have been trying to get info for ten years and the thread hear is the most information I have seen ever. any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

: Hello, my name is josh, this has like absolutely nothing to do with this page, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about dixon acoustic guitars? respond whenever

Josh, sorry, I can't help you; i found your message on a query with Google; I bought a left-handed Dixon acoustic about 28 years ago; got a lot of miles on it; still in great shape; but I also was wondering if they even still exist.

reply : Hello Josh,
Man! I'm having the same problem! I have a Dixon electric Shark tail with active split,in/out phase Humbuckers ,through-body neck, with matching case..
Man, I know somebody has to know at least the origional manufacturer This one was made in Korea it could have a dozen names !,,
I e-mailed a guy on ebay that had sold an acoustic an' asked him if he had any info , but that was today.. no reply yet...

yes i have a dixon acoustic i got it 1976 it says inside of it dixon made by ibz instruments.I have been tryiny to find out more about the one i have so if you or anyone can help it would really help me.Ken

All I know is that Dixon guitars are the cheaper versions of Crown guitars. Made in the same factory and almost exactly the same. They don't make either Crown or Dixon guitars anymore. The best way to find info about Dixon would be to search for crown info.

If you have a crown classic guitar are they worth a lot of money?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.