dixon guitars

Advertisement
Posted by Josh on Tue, 12/24/02 - 07:45:26.

Hello, my name is josh, this has like absolutely nothing to do with this page, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about dixon acoustic guitars? respond whenever
Thanks-Josh

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Dixon Guitars

Hi everybody,
Unfortunatley my info on Dixon guitars is limited to what I've been able to find online.
There just doesn't seem to be a great deal know about either the man or his products.

What I can do is relate a story that was told to me by an older gentelman back in the late 60s
As far as it being fact I can't say with any certanity.
The story I was told went like this.........
Dixon was employed by Gibson in their R&D dept.
The Hummingbird was of his design.

The original Birds made by Dixon were built with a solid 1 piece spruce top.
Gibson at the time was taking a beating in the acoustic guitar market and was looking at every way possible to cut costs so rather than staying with the 1 pc.solid spruce top they opted for a mutilpiece laminate top.
Dixon took great exception to the design and material change and shortly there after had a falling out with his bosses at Gibson.
Apparently he left the co.,moved to Japan and began building the Birds to his original specs.

The cost of labor was quite low in Japan in those days so Dixon was able to sell a superior guitar for much less than Gibson could even by building their guitars with inferior materials.
Of course Gibson sued Dixon and pretty much ended his guitar building days.
It's my understanding of all the Hummingbird knockoffs out there from the 70s the Dixon Hummingbirds are the best of the bunch as far as quality and sound goes.
I have no way of knowing how true this story is but we all know Gibson was struggling in the acoustic market back then and the Japanese are the greatest copy cats in the world often taking a product they copied and making it better than the original.

What I can address from my own experience is the superior quality of the early Alvarez Dove acoustic guitars over the much more expensive Gibson Doves of that time period.
I own an Alvarez Dove and will put it's quality and sound against any Gibson acoustic guitar then or today.
My 1971 Alvarez Dove is one sweet,mellow old songbird !!

Dixson model 683 acoustic guitar

Does anyone know what year the 683 model was made in? My uncle was asking me to find out for him. Thanks

Dixon DG 2

I have a Dixon DG 2 acoustic guitar and was wondering how much its worth.

Re: dixon guitars

: Hello, my name is josh, this has like absolutely nothing to do with this page, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about dixon acoustic guitars? respond whenever
: Thanks-Josh

: : Hello, my name is josh, this has like absolutely nothing to do with this page, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about dixon acoustic guitars? respond whenever
: : Thanks-Josh

Hey Josh, I have a auditorium size Dixon that my Dad bought for me 50 years ago. I've had some work done on it over the years but it still plays great. I don't know the model No. but it is definately American made, has a solid neck with no truss rod. I think Dad paid $50.00 for it in about 1952.

dixon guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: dixon guitars

need info on Dixon acoustic guitars please

Richard X here, I need info on Dixon acoustic guitars...concerning: Dixon acoustic model:DG-5
Thanks

dixon guitar

could you give me some info. about a dixon guitar It reads inside model DG-9 20 ANNVERSARY LIMITED EDITION.
MADE IN JAPAN. Marys music Any info would be greatly app.
thanks very much
Paul

Re: need info on Dixon acoustic guitars please

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: need info on Dixon acoustic guitars please

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: need info on Dixon acoustic guitars please

hi... i have an acoustic dixon dg-5... i was wondering if anyone had any info... email me... sissidevore@yahoo.com thanks... sissi

Re: need info on Dixon SGN-C81 acoustic guitars please

hi..i have a model SGN-C81 Dixon guitar...anyone have any info on it, please e-mail me ...Thanks

Iwould like information on a Dixon Hummingbird Guitar made in the 1960's Model no684/6 It also has R 4216 S on a plate on the neck where the tuning keys are

1960s Dixon Hummingbird 684.6

This instrument is exact copy of the Gibson Hummingbird,made in Japan, purchased by me 1969. I was told by dealer that a former employee of Gibson had started his own co. in Japan and copied the Gibson. Quality, looks, sound/tone meet or exceed the original Gibson in my opinion. 35 years later it has only gotten better. I have no information on the mfg current status nor whether the story told to me is true. Anyone with accurate info about these intruments please post for those of us in the dark

Re: 1960s Dixon Hummingbird 684.6

1960s Dixon Hummingbird 684.6

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: 1960s Dixon Hummingbird 684.6

: Hello, my name is josh, this has like absolutely nothing to do with this page, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about dixon acoustic guitars? respond whenever

Josh, sorry, I can't help you; i found your message on a query with Google; I bought a left-handed Dixon acoustic about 28 years ago; got a lot of miles on it; still in great shape; but I also was wondering if they even still exist.

reply : Hello Josh,
Man! I'm having the same problem! I have a Dixon electric Shark tail with active split,in/out phase Humbuckers ,through-body neck, with matching case..
Man, I know somebody has to know at least the origional manufacturer This one was made in Korea it could have a dozen names !,,
I e-mailed a guy on ebay that had sold an acoustic an' asked him if he had any info , but that was today.. no reply yet...

yes i have a dixon acoustic i got it 1976 it says inside of it dixon made by ibz instruments.I have been tryiny to find out more about the one i have so if you or anyone can help it would really help me.Ken

All I know is that Dixon guitars are the cheaper versions of Crown guitars. Made in the same factory and almost exactly the same. They don't make either Crown or Dixon guitars anymore. The best way to find info about Dixon would be to search for crown info.

If you have a crown classic guitar are they worth a lot of money?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.