Dixon Odessa acoustic guitar

Advertisement
Posted by Pete on Sun, 07/27/03 - 11:34:53.

I would appreciate any history on this line of guitars and the Odessa model in general.I recently aquired one at a flea market and I want to tell you that this is one sweet instrument. Everbody that I have talked to knows nothing about it's history, but I do know that it must of come from a good home,... enough said....;>)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Odessa acoustic guitar.

I have an Odessa D27 that my ex-wife bought me over 25 years ago for 50 dollars and I wouldn't take 500 for it! I love it! However, I am in need of some info. Can anyone tell me how to read the serial number to obtain the manufacture date? It was old when I got it and I would like to know how old.

Odessa Guitars

Bought a new D-26 in 1978. Does not say Dixon anywhere, just Odessa. No info on where it was made. Sounds great and still plays well.

Odessa Acoustic by Dixon

Hi all, I bought a Dixon: Odessa Model W8-15CE BS recently here in New Zealand that has a pickup in it to enable playing into an amp if want. I too had trouble finding any info & after hours of searching found the following information on the Dixon brand... (hope this helps you all)

DIXON guitars were made in Japan in the early 60's through the early 70's. They were made to last even after World War 3! If you can find one, buy it. Their best models are copies of Martin D35, three piece back. These models have Brazilian rosewood on the back and sides, some are solid, some are not. Needless to say, they are equal if not better to Martins. Their D35 copies fetch around $600.

I did a lot of research several years ago on Dixon guitars when I found one at a local shop and the owner was playing it. He sold it to me for 200 and it sounded great! Was surprised at the quality of construction and sound. The inlays were real and the neck was in a V shape style indicating it was made in the 60's. It took me some time but these guitars were designed by the original designer of Gibson guitars.
There was a dispute over Gibson not noting him as the creator and he was forced out of the business partnership with Gibson leaving him without royalties from Gibson and was told never to build the design again. He went to Japan and created the Dixon brand and upgraded his designs. They sounded better than Gibson but the body shape was modeled after his older ones and soon Gibson took out a lawsuit against him. His company was ruined. Gibson started buying any Dixon guitars they could find and would destroy them in an attempt to erase any memory of Dixon. Only a small amount of guitars survive today because of this and because many would use parts from the cheaper selling Dixons to use on their Gibson guitars.
I was told by a collector that any serious collector would not be found without at least one Dixon guitar lawsuit era. Also if you have one and want to sell it these guitars are worth thousands to the right collector. I have seen some on Ebay and would buy them up if I had the chance. My 628 Model is worth five thousand to private collections. The problem is that Gibson did such a great job erasing them that there are only a few collectors in the country who know anything about them and the real value.
If you have one hold on to it, take the strings off and put it in a case with silica tabs to keep out moisture and oxygen. I am still trying to find the collector I spoke with, since then I have lost his information. These are very Rare guitars and if more knew about this dark little secret the price will go up even more.

odessa bass

yeh same, just bought an odessa bass at the markets, parents bought it 30yrs ago for daughter who went on to be CID policewoman.... bass play'n gun tot'n my type a girl!!!

Odessa Acoustic SD-16E

I ran across my Odessa Guitar at a pawn shop for what i consider a great deal. Only thing is i'm having the same problem as everyone apparently. I can't find anything out about it. Odessa A product of Dixon USA Model Number: SD-16E is all it says on the inside of the body. It was made in china and who ever had it before me converted it into an acoustic/electric. i can't even find a picture of my guitar anywhere online. Any help at all please on info... i like knowing things about objects i own but this one has me stumped. Thank you...

Re: Dixon Odessa acoustic guitar

: I would appreciate any history on this line of guitars and the Odessa model in general.I recently aquired one at a flea market and I want to tell you that this is one sweet instrument. Everbody that I have talked to knows nothing about it's history, but I do know that it must of come from a good home,... enough said....;>)
I just aquired a odessa [product of dixon usa] and i realy like it...model # sd-05...could anybody tell me somthing about it??

Ya i just found one too! The guy i bought it from said it was his fathers and know nothing about it...I've been searching everywhere to find out about these guitars and can't find anything on them.I guess we have some unique guitars:)

Dixon Guitars

Dixon Guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Dixon Guitars

Re: Dixon Odessa acoustic guitar want to buy one

: I would appreciate any history on this line of guitars and the Odessa model in general.I recently aquired one at a flea market and I want to tell you that this is one sweet instrument. Everbody that I have talked to knows nothing about it's history, but I do know that it must of come from a good home,... enough said....;>)

hey jasmine
i have had my dixon odessa sc-01
for five years now and its is truely a great instrument but unfortunatly it just broke and i'm heart broken
toomany memorys and i'm curently serching to find a new one of the same brand cuase the sound was impeckable
i dont know n e history about it but would sure like to get another one
email me back if you want tommy

Dixon Odessa acoustic  guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Dixon Odessa acoustic guitar

Re: Dixon Odessa bass guitar

hay im searching for info on a odessa bass guitar. Ive just bought one as my first bass instrument and no one knows anything about it? if you know anything ild appreciate the information.

Re: Dixon Odessa bass guitar

Dixon Odessa bass guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Dixon Odessa bass guitar

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.