Arthur Hansel Guitars

Posted by Nancy Ryan on Wed, 04/26/06 - 11:50:03.
In Reply to Acoustic Archtops

Is there anyone who could give me a resource site or any information on this fine guitar maker (Arthur Hansel) From what I can gather he hand made by himself about 3 or 4 hundred guitars. Some commisioned for some international artist. There are others looking but the tread has been discontinued. They are very rare guitars and there just isn't too much info out there that I can find. I have a dear old friend who is planning his estate and wants to pass on some history and value of the guitar to his beneficiary and for his own interest as well. The guitar was bought in the 50's and the label states Handmade by Arthur Hensel #203 in 1949. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nancy Ryan
nwr3@yahoo.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Arthur Hansel Guitars

: Perhaps there were Hensel Guitars but the enquiry was for Arthur Hansel - that is the correct spelling - I'm looking at the original label

: : : : Is there anyone who could give me a resource site or any information on this fine guitar maker (Arthur Hansel) From what I can gather he hand made by himself about 3 or 4 hundred guitars. Some commisioned for some international artist. There are others looking but the tread has been discontinued. They are very rare guitars and there just isn't too much info out there that I can find. I have a dear old friend who is planning his estate and wants to pass on some history and value of the guitar to his beneficiary and for his own interest as well. The guitar was bought in the 50's and the label states Handmade by Arthur Hensel #203 in 1949. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
: : : : Thanks
: : : : Nancy Ryan
: : : : nwr3@yahoo.com

: : Hi Nancy

: : I Have also. It's modeol 203 made in 1948. I was also wondering about the value of it. If I find out I'll let you know. Might be wise to go to one of those Autions that are on television.
: : These guitars were made in Canada. My Uncle purchased it from Sears in 1948.

: : Keep in touch if you find anythinbg else out.
: : Thanks Ron

I also have a Hansel Guitar model 203 WOW what a sound!! If you have any information please email me angelina@youwillhavefun.com as I am finding it hard to find any information on this as well. Thanks

Arthur Hansel guitars/mandolins

I have a 1953 mandolin (202) by Mr. Hansel, which I bought in Perth, Ontario in 1999. Spruce top, mahogany back & sides, rosewood fingerboard. Very nice - the look, the sound and even the smell. But I've never seen another except in pictures.

Hensel Mandolin!

I have another mandolin, which I found stripped and hanging on the wall of a junkshop in Belleville, Ont. Solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, rosewood fretboard & nut. It has his signature chip-carved "Artist Hensel" headstock. I've posted a few pics to a thread on the Mandolin Cafe.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?5770-Hensel-Mandolin-c-a-1940. It's a sweet sounding instrument. I paid $50 for it, and another $150 to a luthier for a new bridge, tailpiece & setup, and it's the best $200 I've ever spent on an instrument.

Perhaps there were Hensel Guitars but the enquiry was for Arthur Hansel - that is the correct spelling - I'm looking at the original label

: : : : Is there anyone who could give me a resource site or any information on this fine guitar maker (Arthur Hansel) From what I can gather he hand made by himself about 3 or 4 hundred guitars. Some commisioned for some international artist. There are others looking but the tread has been discontinued. They are very rare guitars and there just isn't too much info out there that I can find. I have a dear old friend who is planning his estate and wants to pass on some history and value of the guitar to his beneficiary and for his own interest as well. The guitar was bought in the 50's and the label states Handmade by Arthur Hensel #203 in 1949. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
: : : : Thanks
: : : : Nancy Ryan
: : : : nwr3@yahoo.com

: : Hi Nancy

: : I Have also. It's modeol 203 made in 1948. I was also wondering about the value of it. If I find out I'll let you know. Might be wise to go to one of those Autions that are on television.
: : These guitars were made in Canada. My Uncle purchased it from Sears in 1948.

: : Keep in touch if you find anythinbg else out.
: : Thanks Ron

Hi Nancy and Ron
I also have a Hansel guitar, it is an Artist, but I cannot tell you the serial number at this time. The guitar is in my workshop where I am attempting to learn to play it. A year or so ago, I had been in contact with Irene, and somehow, Folkway music of Guelph got involved. They too have a Hansel in their collection. If you find any more history, please let me know.
Regards
Jim

:I have a Hansel guitar which was purchased for me in 1942 in Windsor Ont and I believe the price was $40...my brother also has one. We have no idea what they are worth to-day ..My Hansel has followed me to Nova Scotia ..It still has a wonderful sound

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.