Ovation Anniversary Edition

Posted by jules on Mon, 03/11/02 - 21:02:19.
In Reply to Guitar Base

I have an Ovation Anniversary Edtion that was given to me.The serial number on it is 1657-7.If anyone has any info on it I would appreciate it,or if anyone knows of a site where I can look up the serial.
Thanks

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Ovation Anniversary Edition

I bought the same guitar in Tuscaloosa AL a couple of months ago for $300. Considered it a deal, plan on holding on to it. I guess you can use this as a comparable sale.

I have an Ovation Anniversary model no.1157-7 (so no electrics just a plain old acoustic version). They started making them in 1976 to commemorate ten years in the business and stopped in 1984. Spec wise they are similar to the Custom Legend except they have herringbone purfling and a herringbone pattern on the soundhole rosette. And they have snowflake inlays on the fingerboard too. The Custom legend has pearloid Schaller tuners but they are plain gold plate on the Anniversary. Nice guitars. You are lucky to have one as they are quite rare though not that valuable

I purchased a new Ovation 1657-7 (model number, not serial number) in 1978 in California. I loved that guitar and played till the frets were gone. I was never able to find any information on it when I wanted to sell it about 5 years ago. Other than worn frets, it was in superb condition and I would up selling it on consignment in a mucsic store in Madison Wisconsin around 1996. As I recall I originaly paid $650.00 for it and sold it for $400.00.
I hope this helps you a little. It was an extremely rare guitar as only 150 were made. 10 for every year Ovation had been in business at the time. At least as I recall.

Re: Ovation Anniversary Edition Model 1657

I have one of these (model 1657) in premium condition that I will be putting up for sale next... But... I would never sell it for $400.00. It originally cost $750.00 from Guitar Showcase in San Jose, California and was a B-Day present from my ex-wife in 1979. Yes. I am the original owner. If someone out there wants to make me a serious offer... I'll sell it!

If you are a haggler who wants to low ball me... please, I don't need the headache. Only serious collectors need call (my business phone) 408 / 224 1958
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: I purchased a new Ovation 1657-7 (model number, not serial number) in 1978 in California. I loved that guitar and played till the frets were gone. I was never able to find any information on it when I wanted to sell it about 5 years ago. Other than worn frets, it was in superb condition and I would up selling it on consignment in a mucsic store in Madison Wisconsin around 1996. As I recall I originaly paid $650.00 for it and sold it for $400.00.
: I hope this helps you a little. It was an extremely rare guitar as only 150 were made. 10 for every year Ovation had been in business at the time. At least as I recall.

The Annaversary 1657 Ovation Guitar

Hi, I purchased my guitar new in Syracuse up state new york in 1982, The guitar is " THE ANNAVERSARY OVATION (305571) MODEL NUMBER 1657 " and it is still as good as ever. The quality sound is next to none.Why any one would sell this type guitar is mindboggling unless they needed the cash badly. I had just got the guitar and i was doing a gig in Killarney Co Kerry ireland and as i was setting up the gear at the venue a member of the famous furey"s group saw the guitar and wanted to purchase it from me there and then at whatever price i would want for it,i was blown away by his persistance in wanting to have it but as i only had it three days at that time i was not going to part with it and now so many years have passed i still would not sell it. If you have a rare instrument like The Anneversary 1657,take care of it and pass it down the line within your family.

: I also own an Anniversary. I bought it new in 1978. Over the years I have used it for various music styles from Bluegrass, Country, and Contemporary Christian music. Over the years I have not heard a better sounding guitar at any price. It is apparently worth what someone is willing to pay. I have been offered as much as 4K and been offered a Martin D28 for it. Maybe the reality is only $400 or so, but to me it is priceless. My children may sell it for Pennies when I am gone, but the enjoyment
I get from playing it and the curiosity of others wanting to know what it is and where to get one is why I still have it today. I have the original book and price tag from when I bought it.

Here is message board type website about 1657 anniversary models.
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

again, my ovation is in top condition, no wearing, just 2 new strings. i have a hard time believing that this guitar is only worth $400.00. it makes no sense to me.

: again, my ovation is in top condition, no wearing, just 2 new strings. i have a hard time believing that this guitar is only worth $400.00. it makes no sense to me.

This is because it is worth considerably more. I am a guitar salesman specializing in vintage Martin,Yamaha and Ovation models. I would sell this guitar in fair to good condition upwards of 1500.-2000. Don't let everything you hear from those obviously not qualified upset or decieve you.This person apparently has no real understandin of what a quality vintage instrument sells for now. Until recently his 'opinion' may have been right,but the last few years have seen this guitar treble in resale value and very likely will keep rising.

Ovation 1657-7

I just posted the last comment about selling my Ovation 1657-7 'The Anniversary.' My email is: { donaldlee@windstream.net}.

Ovation 1657-7

I woulld like to sell my Ovation 'The Anniversary.' If you are interested, please contact me. Thanks!!! :)

Oviation Anniversary

Do you have pictures?...how is condition? How much are you asking for it?

Guys, You are/nt going to believe this but I have a 1657 that is "Mint" condition. My mother bought it for me new and I have had it put up all these years. I would bet that this guitar out of the 150 made, That it is in the top 3 if not the best of shape. I will be glad to send anyone pics of this guitar. Like I said, You won't believe it. This is a collectors dream.

in 1982, my father got a brand new ovation 1657 from the plant in CT. Although not for sale, it is a great guitar, and if anyone has anydoubys about it, plug it in. best guitar i ever played

I have an Ovation 1657 Anniversary edition also. A local guitar shop told me that it was rare and that it was worth about $1700. I don't play it often enough and the steel strings hurt my fingers. I put it on consignment there, but they couldn't sell it. Does anyone know what it is really worth?

Where is that store? They gave total bs! It was never worth $1700. Its MSRP was $890-990 back in the early 80s. Many of these were sold for around $400 (excellent condition) on eBay.

: I have an Ovation 1657 Anniversary edition also. A local guitar shop told me that it was rare and that it was worth about $1700. I don't play it often enough and the steel strings hurt my fingers. I put it on consignment there, but they couldn't sell it. Does anyone know what it is really worth?

I am currently trying to buy a seventies "legend" or "balladeer" type ovation with deep body - just like the 1657 anniversary or the older 1612. Through research on the web I found the following link which might be useful for you guys:
http://www.ifrance.com/dpuech/ovation/identification.htm
good luck
Stefan

: I have an 1978 anniversary model 1657 and was looking for more info on it as I've never found another until now. I bought mine in around 1997 in New Jersey it has an ebony fret board,gold tunings keys, carved truss cover and bridge, mother of pearl Ovation inlay. I don't normally go for Ovations but this one sounds warm with great action. It's my work guitar. I've used it for well over 500 shows and still keeps ticking. It would be good to know how many where made if it were 150 then that explains why it's so hard to get info. Ovation should post it to their website.

I, too, have the same questions that you are asking. I inherited the same guitar from my dad. He purchased it new. The only thing I have been able to find out is that it is a Glenn Campbell Artist Balladeer Anniversary model. I have had one dealer inspect it and tell me that if it were his, he wouldn't take $3000.00 for it. So, take this info for what it's worth. I have no idea as to how much stock to put into this 'appraisal'. Somehow, I have my doubts. Although, I wouldn't take $10,000.00 for mine. The sentimental value is priceless. Good Luck!

I picked up one of these at a store in Boulder about 5 years ago. Certainly one of the sweetest guitars I have played. Would quite like to find out more about it for future reference. Quite interesting if there are only a hundred or so around!

I own one of this great guitars. I bought it used at Guitar Exchange in S. Diego on 1992 for US$400. The label inside reads "Anniversary model #1657". It's the most sweet acustic guitar I have never played. Has an amazing acustic and a very sweet and speedy neck. It seems I can't get any kind of detailed informations about it, even on the Ovationguitars official web. Anyway doesn't matter! The most important thing is that I enjoy it in owning and, overall, in playing it! Unfortunately, does not play when I plug it into the amplifier. But I am pretty sure it did so when I bought it: is there someone who could give me some suggestion? Thanks in advance to anyone for a help!
Ross

Ross,
I own a 1976 model and you have to change the battery (on mine it is inside the body held in a housing near the volume control). Also, I have had to have my connections resoldered a couple of times (but I used mine in a band for a number of years). It is still the best sounding accoustic I have heard (I still play at church).
Hope this helps.
Tom

: Ross,
: I own a 1976 model and you have to change the battery (on mine it is inside the body held in a housing near the volume control). Also, I have had to have my connections resoldered a couple of times (but I used mine in a band for a number of years). It is still the best sounding accoustic I have heard (I still play at church).
: Hope this helps.
: Tom

Here I am 8 years later. I still have my 10th Anniversarry Model #1657. I still don't know what yesr it was made although I know they were made btween '78-'82. It is mint and sound wonderful. I've never heard a better sounding Ovation. I still don't know what it's worth. The spread sheet shows it at $750 for the 1st year progressively going up to $995 for last ones made. That's when they were new. I thinking of trading it in for a Godin LG EMG, but i don't know if I'll get $400 for it.

Butros

I don't know how that other one got posted. I bought one of these Anniversary Model 1657 new, in 1979. I paid almost $800 bucks for it at E.U. Wurlitzer in Boston. It was more expensive than the Adamas that year. I was told the story of how rare they were, etc. They are quite common and not worth much. In fact, they have lost about 50% of their value over the years. The reasons for this is they made a ton of them and the older electronics in Ovations just can't hold a candle to the newer stuff.

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE THIS GUITAR. It is the best sounding and looking Ovation I've ever played. When I found out the truth about it, I was shocked. I thought I was sitting on a rare vintage guitar.

Al M

: I don't know how that other one got posted. I bought one of these Anniversary Model 1657 new, in 1979. I paid almost $800 bucks for it at E.U. Wurlitzer in Boston. It was more expensive than the Adamas that year. I was told the story of how rare they were, etc. They are quite common and not worth much. In fact, they have lost about 50% of their value over the years. The reasons for this is they made a ton of them and the older electronics in Ovations just can't hold a candle to the newer stuff.

: Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE THIS GUITAR. It is the best sounding and looking Ovation I've ever played. When I found out the truth about it, I was shocked. I thought I was sitting on a rare vintage guitar.

: Al M

lol,Boutress?...do ya wanna sell it to me for say twice that? Better sell it since the price 'keeps going down' ;)

: Ross,
: I own a 1976 model and you have to change the battery (on mine it is inside the body held in a housing near the volume control). Also, I have had to have my connections resoldered a couple of times (but I used mine in a band for a number of years). It is still the best sounding accoustic I have heard (I still play at church).
: Hope this helps.
: Tom

Thanks, Tom
I have changed the battery and noe it plays great!

Hello I'm Gianmarco and I live in Bologna (Italy), I have a Ovation Anniversary with the serial number 1657 if someone had information on this model of would be pleasing.
Thanks Gianmarco

I have a friend with a 1657. Her husband passed away and is thinking about selling it. It is in excellent condition. She would like to know the value.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.