Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2003

Archive for posts from August, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

please send me

please send me metallica tab especially unforgiven 1.and flamenco diablo from yngwie malmsteen.thanx very much.

harmonizer effects

I would like to find a guitar harmonizer that would allow a realtime extra note to be played in sync with the original to simulate twin guitars playing together. I know an octave part is accomplished easily enough but I may not want a full octave separation!

Re: harmonizer effects

Check out EvenTide, I've got a dsp7000 and belive (I'm not near it now) it'll do at least 5ths (seperation).

: I would like to find a guitar harmonizer that would allow a realtime extra note to be played in sync with the original to simulate twin guitars playing together. I know an octave part is accomplished easily enough but I may not want a full octave separation!

strings

Who makes the best sounding electric guitar strings?

Re: strings

D'Addario .009's (EXL125) are the best i've ever used. they lasst longer without corosion and sound great. also, they'll take a beating.

Depends on the sound/style/guitar, seems like there are 2 types of players, those that really care about strings and those that don't and just get what ever is cheapest, great players in both camps so it's kinda a rhetorical question... I'am kinda in the latter cuz I play alot of differnt styles so have to change em around alot and mix-n-match for my preferences.

Lately for electrics I been mainly using GHS boomers (11-52) and Dean Markly blue steele (12-55), both are fine to me and cheap to boot (I bought bulk of both).

If you soak your strings overnight in naptha (lighter fluid) before installing it seems to extend 'string life'.

: Who makes the best sounding electric guitar strings?

I use GHS ROCKERS .13

: Who makes the best sounding electric guitar strings?

i would recommend Ernie Ball Super Slinkys 009's and a bit more expensive (but worth it) are the Ernie Ball Pure Nickels

The best sound I think comes from Ernieball. But they don't last for to long. You need tou replace them very quickly. I use Gibson-strings right now. They sound fine and I don't need to replace them to often.
But you should find out for yourself which strings you like the most. "Sounding well" is a very subjective term. The only way to find out which strings are the best for you is to try as much different al you can find.

Guitar Tuners

What is your opinion of using guitar tuners. I know it's best to know how to tune your guitar by ear but what about when playing with a group of musicians and all need to be in tune? Do many pro's use tuners? I see the ad's of tuners with major musicians endoresments. World, what are your opinions?

Re: Guitar Tuners

While you should defintely know how to tune/intonate your guitar, electronic tuners are fine and even alot of the cheaper ones are accurate, handy too if you use alot of alternates. Generally when you play in a group you tune off the paino/keyboard (cuz you usually can't change the paino tuning easily, and you would be suprised how many 'electronic' keyboards aren't in 'perfect' tune), or if no keys you tune up using your ear or tuner and then all 'fine' tune to a 'reference' (ie one person in the group), I like to tune off the bass, but just my preference. The important thing is that the whole group be in tune with each other, even if technically the tuning is a little off... same with a guitar, as long as it is in tune with it's self it generally sounds good by itself.

: What is your opinion of using guitar tuners. I know it's best to know how to tune your guitar by ear but what about when playing with a group of musicians and all need to be in tune? Do many pro's use tuners? I see the ad's of tuners with major musicians endoresments. World, what are your opinions?

When i play a gig i tune by ear but that fits he type of music that i play(blues) if you arep layin somethin that only sounds right in tune then you might want to get a tuner. I have a tuner and its a seiko i dont use it very much but i know a lot of people who have them they are cheap and accurate.

I think just about all pros use tuners. I use a BOSS TU Pedal. Its in my pedal board. When I click on it the signal gets bypassed, so its easy to tune live without making noise.

www.joybasu.com

Harvest for the world Cords

I need cords or tab to harvest for the world by the Isley brothers if anyone can help.
Thanks

HOW MUCH IS MY GUITAR WORTH AND HOW OLD IS IT

PLEASE E-MAIL AND LET ME KNOW WHAT THIS GUITAR IS VALUED AT, IT IS A ALVAREZ, MODEL #5052 CERT#42613
IT ALSO HAS A CERIAL # ON THE NECK K020125.

THANK YOU

THIS ISN'T A SITE FOR APPRASIALS... AS YOU CAN SEE !!

!!!

: PLEASE E-MAIL AND LET ME KNOW WHAT THIS GUITAR IS VALUED AT, IT IS A ALVAREZ, MODEL #5052 CERT#42613
: IT ALSO HAS A CERIAL # ON THE NECK K020125.

: THANK YOU

Re: HOW MUCH IS MY GUITAR WORTH AND HOW OLD IS IT

: PLEASE E-MAIL AND LET ME KNOW WHAT THIS GUITAR IS VALUED AT, IT IS aFender Bullit star1 model#113366.

: THANK YOU

Kahler Tremelo

I have the kahler system on a carvin and a gibson flying v and the tuning screws on the bridge will not stay down on either guitar please help me out

Re: Kahler Tremelo

: I have the kahler system on a carvin and a gibson flying v and the tuning screws on the bridge will not stay down on either guitar please help me out
KAHLER: HAS MOVED TO OCEANSIDE,CA
I KNOW GARY AND I MAYBE ABLE TO
HELP YOU FIND WHAT YOU NEED
TONY

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!

What do you do when you're told to back off doing something you love? In my case it's a case of carpal tunnel syndrome... I've played Rhythm guitar with a 12 string for over 20 years, and add computer typing to that and I developed a ( thankfully!) slight case. After a month's worth of pain killers, and a couple of months of anti-inflamatories; plus wearing braces on my wrists at night; and playing guitar only once or twice a month(argh! absolutely impossible to keep calluses) I'm doing better, and am playing more times but for shorter durations. You just can't make fast chord changes with the brace on... although it has forced me to examine my playing posture. Any body else have comments? or sucess stories? suggestions?
Thanks

Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!

i hope you get well soon!

: What do you do when you're told to back off doing something you love? In my case it's a case of carpal tunnel syndrome... I've played Rhythm guitar with a 12 string for over 20 years, and add computer typing to that and I developed a ( thankfully!) slight case. After a month's worth of pain killers, and a couple of months of anti-inflamatories; plus wearing braces on my wrists at night; and playing guitar only once or twice a month(argh! absolutely impossible to keep calluses) I'm doing better, and am playing more times but for shorter durations. You just can't make fast chord changes with the brace on... although it has forced me to examine my playing posture. Any body else have comments? or sucess stories? suggestions?
: Thanks

Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!

I have it too but never took drugs (other than asprin/aleve), I just wear the brace at night when it gets bad, and as I type alot (the primary cause of mine) I try to wear the brace while typing or at least pay attention to my hand 'posture' while typing... that has helped the most for me. As to playing I got some leather wristbands (and paid more attention to my fret hand 'posture'... not much you can do about your strumming/picking hand, for me at least) and they have helped and aren't restrictive... still it's something that will never go away... only get worse if you don't pay attention to it. I now have to warm up longer to get to speed (than before, something I rarely did) and know that after a long session or night my hands are going to be hurting !!!

: What do you do when you're told to back off doing something you love? In my case it's a case of carpal tunnel syndrome... I've played Rhythm guitar with a 12 string for over 20 years, and add computer typing to that and I developed a ( thankfully!) slight case. After a month's worth of pain killers, and a couple of months of anti-inflamatories; plus wearing braces on my wrists at night; and playing guitar only once or twice a month(argh! absolutely impossible to keep calluses) I'm doing better, and am playing more times but for shorter durations. You just can't make fast chord changes with the brace on... although it has forced me to examine my playing posture. Any body else have comments? or sucess stories? suggestions?
: Thanks

cmi guitar

anyone know the value of a black cmi electric guitat e 200.in great shape.
thanks

Re: cmi guitar

i have a red Cmi electric guitar...i don't know the value.Or where it's even from.

Re: cmi guitar

theyre an english company and they are worth quite a bit of money in good condition

How to D Tune

I just started to really get really into playing the guitar. I was wondering how to D-Tune my guitar. Also I wanted to know how to tune your guitar half a step down? Please if you know how E-mail me Please!!!!

Re: How to D Tune

If you have an electric tuner then tune it to normal. Then tune down the next setting. So for the high E it should read D#

Re: How to D Tune

: If you have an electric tuner then tune it to normal. Then tune down the next setting. So for the high E it should read D#

dont mislead people man, that is completely WRONG idiot

Do you mean Drop-D or open D tuning ?

Regardless just do a search as there are many sites that completely explain alternate tunings.

: I just started to really get really into playing the guitar. I was wondering how to D-Tune my guitar. Also I wanted to know how to tune your guitar half a step down? Please if you know how E-mail me Please!!!!

el degas guitar wiring

hi, looking for a wiring diagram for a el degas guitar. I don't see any model number on it, it is read strat style body with a humbucker pickup 1 tone and 1 volume control. Can anyone help me out. Thanks.

Re: el degas guitar wiring

: hi, looking for a wiring diagram for a el degas guitar. I don't see any model number on it, it is read strat style body with a humbucker pickup 1 tone and 1 volume control. Can anyone help me out. Thanks.

----Hey guy i'm looking too as I just bought the guitar from a garage sale but all the wires were ripped out!!!! Can you, or anyone ewlse help me??

Looking to upgrade pickups

Hi all,
I have a 91 Gibson SG with all stock equipment and I play on a 100W marshall tube half stack. I am looking to upgrade my pickups. I'm not sure what I should start looking for or what I need to look into. Any suggestions?

Re: Looking to upgrade pickups

well if your guitar has emgs you really don't need to up grade but if it doesn't then you should look into them.

supro guitar

I have a single pickup double cutaway Supro made of wood. The cutaways are even kind of like a SG but rounded more. It's a solid body and has a tremelo bar tail piece. The serial number is from 1964 #G16934. Can anybody tell me what modle it is?

Fender Katana

What does anyone know about Fender Katana's

KATANA

Fender Katana were made for one year, at the moment they are very collectible, remeber the prices of Teles, Jags, Stangs, musicmasters, and Jazzs from the 60's and 70's all going up in price in the 80's and 90's. Well at the moment this seems to be happening to some of the rarer guitars from the 80's that typify the era, one of those is the KATANA made between 85-86, so limited production run, the rarest is metallic black rumoured to be fetching upto £1500 in London UK, but you can get a Squire version also made in Jap for between £350 - £500, I saw one sell on Ebay uk last month. The fender ones had a glued in neck (no bolts here) triangular inlays on the fretboard (bound) 2 humbuckers and a horn that is probrably battered to death... The trem is a system 1 like floyd rose locking nut etc. You'll prob never get a case in a million years...

Remember the prices in the UK are higher than USA for this guitar, but if you see another one on ebay UK snap it up they are sure to go up and up in price, they are also decent to play. My friend claims theres one on there now if your interested, but I havent looked for a while

None on ebay

And the UK prices are 2-3x US from yhe prices you list for em, they are still cheap over here.

: Fender Katana were made for one year, at the moment they are very collectible, remeber the prices of Teles, Jags, Stangs, musicmasters, and Jazzs from the 60's and 70's all going up in price in the 80's and 90's. Well at the moment this seems to be happening to some of the rarer guitars from the 80's that typify the era, one of those is the KATANA made between 85-86, so limited production run, the rarest is metallic black rumoured to be fetching upto £1500 in London UK, but you can get a Squire version also made in Jap for between £350 - £500, I saw one sell on Ebay uk last month. The fender ones had a glued in neck (no bolts here) triangular inlays on the fretboard (bound) 2 humbuckers and a horn that is probrably battered to death... The trem is a system 1 like floyd rose locking nut etc. You'll prob never get a case in a million years...

: Remember the prices in the UK are higher than USA for this guitar, but if you see another one on ebay UK snap it up they are sure to go up and up in price, they are also decent to play. My friend claims theres one on there now if your interested, but I havent looked for a while

Re: KATANA

i have one for sale. cream coloured. north london 350GBP. franegypt@hotmail.com

Katana

Cheap one here, only £300 so far

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2549539590&category=2384

Ibanez PF5NT

How much is it worth?

how to play ska?

I really wanna know how to play like the mighty mighty bosstones. so that means i need to know how to play ska. sum one please tell me how!!!

Alvarez Yairi Dy 88

Alvarez Yairi Dy 88

This popular thread has been given its own page : Alvarez Yairi Dy 88

WANTED FG-1500 or FG-2000

Wanting I think Yamaha FG-1500 or FG-2000.
$1500`$1700.
The trade with Masaru Kohno etc. is also possible.
Thank you.

Re: WANTED FG-1500 or FG-2000

: I have a mint condition 1973 FG-1500 w/hsc ser#1776 would like to sell if you are still looking. I'm the original owner.

Hi --

A friend has an FG-1500. If you don't mind my asking how much did you sell if for, or do you still own it?

Thanks

: : I have a mint condition 1973 FG-1500 w/hsc ser#1776 would like to sell if you are still looking. I'm the original owner.

: : I have a mint condition 1973 FG-1500 w/hsc ser#1776 would like to sell if you are still looking. I'm the original owner.

Hi! Do you have a picture of it and how much do want it for? if still have it please let me know. Thanks

discontinued models

Do any of you know of a site or place that sells or gives price ranges for discontinued guitar models???
thanx! ;)

help wit my strings!!!!!!!!

i recently got a yamaha pacifica 4 my b-day and then my high E broke! i need help on replacing it. i already bought the strings but i dont know how to replace it

Re: help wit my strings!!!!!!!!

That sounds exactly like what happened to me the first time i broke string. You could either take it to where you bought it from and have them do it for you. (Usually for free or very cheap, like, 5$) Or you can do it yourself. On the back of the guitar, there should be a (probably white)panel with six holes in the bottom. This is where you slide the strings in and out of the guitar. To get the string off, you have to wind it all the way off (tune down till it comes loose) then untwist it, or cut it off with wire cutters, then untangle the twisted part on the headstock and push and pull it out the back of the guitar. To put a new string in, you can either unscrew the "panel" on the back to see what your doing, or just leave it on. Slide the strings in (with the little ball/bullet tip at the end) then tie the end into a little knot around the "string holes" on the headstock. Then just keep winding it up until it's in tune. I would reccommend buying a crank. They save alot of time and effort and only cost about 3$

Can someone please help me????

I have been trying to find the guitar solo's that Eric Draven plays in The Crow for a friend to learn it. Can someone....ANYONE....please help me????

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2022 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.