Re: Conn guitar

Advertisement
Posted by Rudy Key on Tue, 02/25/03 - 18:51:05.

I have a Conn 12-string, purchased new in December 1977. The model and serial numbers are hand-engraved; the Serial Number is 27760749, and the Model Number appears to be F2712, best I can tell.....the author wasn't very meticulous with his engraving pen, but I've concluded it's a 12-string version of a Model F27 (if there is such a model). The serial number could include a date code - we could assume 277 is the week 2 of 1977, which is a dating code used by many manufacturers. Your guitar's serial number beginning 3976 would be week 39 (September?)1976.

: : With all of the inquiries into CONN guitars, you would think there would be more info available online...but NOOOO...I myself have a CONN s/n 39761098 Model T19 (?) but cannot find any info on it. Also, from what I understood, the first two digits of the S/N were the year, but that's not possible with this one...since the factory was moved to Japan in '69 and this one says; "C.G.CONN LTD., OAKBROOK, ILLINOIS - Made in Japan" its not likely this was made in '39. '76 maybe, but not '39. Anyway, I shall climb into the same boat that every other CONN owner appears to be in...
: : Any info is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Rare drifter

I believe I own an undiscovered prototype drifter. Very well preserved indented silver foil wrote in ink the serial no. 760600 "rosette" 2 last digit being 5 so again 76060025. The next part is kind of amazing actually really awesome to me but my initials are D.F. I have read and search but could not find this Model: DF 15 O, not zero I believe to be possibly a Japanese code for demo meaning it's maybe one those prototypes I read about. I looked up the guitars information for hours until I thankfully found this websites jack pot of drifter information. Something bothers me about the serial because this guitar can be a 1960 or most likely 1976 but was marked CONTINENTAL MUSIC, OAKBROOK, ILL. centered underneath MADE IN KOREA. now is it just me or could this be a really rare guitar. I'm not sure I hope someone didn't placed more letters to the model but until I know 100% sure I'm going to point out that the D in the serial looks like a skilled Japanese wrote it and the O circled twice maybe being it was written last, emphasis to being a letter not number or both. The ink in all numbers to letters appeare in bright lights to be evenly the same as far as writing on foil with pens goes. Please email information if you even can LOL about my guitar I seriously saved from the garbage man thinking when I open my guitar shop next year I can have a few fixer uppers and hopefully a fascinating story of the drifter named David Fenton who drifted upon his beautiful guitar model DF150. It even has a round inspection sticker on the back 56 inspected by 6715. Hopes this helps and I sure as he'll hope this original drifter was made by a man who knew my name before I was born. Ok now I'm being redicilous. Good day everyone and strum with the your thumbs

I have a 12 string Conn made about 1972. Model F30. Serial 710845598.

Anyone have any idea its value. I want to sell

Conn guitar owner

Hi I am in the same position you are with your Conn guitar history. My wife just brought a Conn guitar from her girlfriend who brought it from her girlfriend. Anyway the Conn guitar I have has serial numbers 71084496 f-20. Made in Japan. I found this website called "the guitar medic" it was very helpful. The website saids it is an unofficial website . It also has a lot of information , hope it's useful. Please inform me of your findings.

I also have a Conn F2712 and cannot make heads or tails of the serial number: 87760561 I sure could use some help with this one.

I have a Conn F15 in pretty good shape. Any suggestions on how to sell it? I'm moving onto a boat with no room for anything and a huge need for money....
Oh yeah, I'm in Berkeley CA
captbohn at gmail dot com

: I have a Conn 12-string, purchased new in December 1977. The model and serial numbers are hand-engraved; the Serial Number is 27760749, and the Model Number appears to be F2712, best I can tell.....the author wasn't very meticulous with his engraving pen, but I've concluded it's a 12-string version of a Model F27 (if there is such a model). The serial number could include a date code - we could assume 277 is the week 2 of 1977, which is a dating code used by many manufacturers. Your guitar's serial number beginning 3976 would be week 39 (September?)1976.

:
: : : With all of the inquiries into CONN guitars, you would think there would be more info available online...but NOOOO...I myself have a CONN s/n 39761098 Model T19 (?) but cannot find any info on it. Also, from what I understood, the first two digits of the S/N were the year, but that's not possible with this one...since the factory was moved to Japan in '69 and this one says; "C.G.CONN LTD., OAKBROOK, ILLINOIS - Made in Japan" its not likely this was made in '39. '76 maybe, but not '39. Anyway, I shall climb into the same boat that every other CONN owner appears to be in...
: : : Any info is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I have found a site for some of the conn getars. Mine says
C. G. Conn and this website gives some history on the instroment http://www.cgconn.com i guess CG has been around since late 1800s

Just picked up a Conn F-25 today (yardsale $30) very nice sounding and looking guitar, built like a brick house. it's got the same engraved metal ID inside. a definite keeper

Conn guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Conn guitar

: Well, let me join the "I got a Conn too" club. In fact, I have two. One's a 12 string F-27 (three piece back) and the other has a plastic bowl back like an Ovation. Both are nice guitars. Especially the F-27. I took off the doubler strings because I hate to tune that many strings. But the sound is excellent. I own seveal guitars (one is a custom made Gallagher G-70 I bought from Mr. Gallagher back in 1976) and I must say that the Conn sound is not that much inferior to the G-70, and I only paid $30 for the Conn at a yard sale. The finish is great also.

: The plastic one (not sure of the model) is a perfect knock around guitar. I take it to bluegrass festivals when I camp out and jam around the campfire. In a pick up baseball game, you could probably lay down a bunt with the back of that guitar.

: I just found this website message board and haven't had chance to read all the Conn messages. I'm still looking for info (like everybody else) on who the heck made my guitars. I'm sure they are not worth much on the market, so I'll keep mine.

: Thanks,
: Bert

: I have a Conn 12-string, purchased new in December 1977. The model and serial numbers are hand-engraved; the Serial Number is 27760749, and the Model Number appears to be F2712, best I can tell.....the author wasn't very meticulous with his engraving pen, but I've concluded it's a 12-string version of a Model F27 (if there is such a model). The serial number could include a date code - we could assume 277 is the week 2 of 1977, which is a dating code used by many manufacturers. Your guitar's serial number beginning 3976 would be week 39 (September?)1976.

: : :
: : : : : With all of the inquiries into CONN guitars, you would think there would be more info available online...but NOOOO...I myself have a CONN s/n 39761098 Model T19 (?) but cannot find any info on it. Also, from what I understood, the first two digits of the S/N were the year, but that's not possible with this one...since the factory was moved to Japan in '69 and this one says; "C.G.CONN LTD., OAKBROOK, ILLINOIS - Made in Japan" its not likely this was made in '39. '76 maybe, but not '39. Anyway, I shall climb into the same boat that every other CONN owner appears to be in...
: : : : : Any info is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

:I have a Conn too, F-27 SN# 57750130. I bought it in 1976 for around $300, and I think it is one of the best sounding acoustics I have ever heard. I'm curious about its value, though I would never sell it.

Conn guitar

Conn guitar

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2015 , All Rights Reserved.