Ryoji Matsuoka Classical

Posted by christine on Fri, 09/12/03 - 16:36:13.

I have a Matsuoka classical that my father bought used for $600 in the early '80's from a college student; dad told me at the time that the price was a "steal." The label says "Luthier Ryoji Matsoka," is stamped with a signature that looks to be the same name, model number 100, serial number 7419. It's in excellent condition, not a scratch or ding. Looks handmade. Has a very loud, yet warm sound. I have had no luck finding information about this guitar on the internet. Would love to know history of Matsuoka, year this guitar was made, etc. Please e-mail me with any information at christinewessel AT ucsbalum DOT net. Thanks!

Related Gear:
Check this out if you are thinking about buying a Classical Guitar

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Ryoji Matsuoka

Im thinking of buying an m25 from a pawn shop for 100.00. What is the difference between the m20, m25 and m30. Is there something I should know? No info on the m25.. Thanx

Re: Ryoji Matsuoka Classical

I've owned a Ryoji Matsuoka for about four years now. Mine was built very recently (In about 1999 I think), yet has a very nice, clear, if a bit soft sound. I believe i brought it for around $1000 in 2002. Now, according to my guitar teacher, it has about doubled in value to around $2000. I am very curious about these guitars, and any further information on them would be greatly appreciated.

I am the proud owner of a 1966 build, numbered (#45) guitar by this fine luthier. I would like to get an indication of its' worth (not that I want to sell it) and some history of the luthier himself. Can anyone out there assist?

email me direct; i can tell you all about matsuokas...
vvarney@arches.uga.edu

: email me direct; i can tell you all about matsuokas...
: vvarney@arches.uga.edu

Hello,

i bought a mint Matsuoka 41/320 cedar, (indian or brasilian?) rosewood. If you have any informations about this specific modell or in general, I would be happy to hear from you!!!!

Best regards frank

I just bought a mint conditioned (used) Ryoji Matsuoka classical M60. any information about the price?

: : email me direct; i can tell you all about matsuokas...
: : vvarney@arches.uga.edu

: Hello,

: i bought a mint Matsuoka 41/320 cedar, (indian or brasilian?) rosewood. If you have any informations about this specific modell or in general, I would be happy to hear from you!!!!

: Best regards frank
-----------------------------------

Hello June 30/07
I just bought a Matsuoka 41, #318. I know nothing about it, other than when I picked it up and played it I new instantly that
I wanted it, especially for the price of $120.00 CDN, at a guitar shoppe in Regina, Sask. Canada. I put it onto an airplan 1 hour later, and it made it home in one piece. I have no idea of its value, age or woods used. Any info would be much appreciated.
thanx
dave

ryoji m25

I cannot find any info. on this guitar. Its a 1976, cant tell if its laminated. I payed 100.00 for it. Ive played for over 25 years and have played every thing from cheap Yamaha to 5000.00 1970 Ramirez 1A. The guitar is worth way over 100. I would pay as much as 1200.00 for it. That is my educated guess.Anyway, Ryoji has M20s and up but no mention or a M25. The curriosity is killing me. Anyone, please.

Ryoji Matsuoka M50, dated 1974

Hello.
My parents bought a Yamaha Ryoji Matsuoka M50, No. 26506 dated 1974 for me years ago when we lived in Japan. It still plays beautifully and is in near perfect condition. Please can you tell me more about it and the value. Thank you very much for your help.

matsuoka M65

I bought 2006 model M65 (Ryoji Matsuoka) from Tokyo in 2009.
I played three years without any problem.
Regret to say that recently I faced fingerboard slope (curvature) problem on first three positions.
When I play on first three position, I have scratchy (creaking sound) problem.
What do you recommend to solve this problem ?

Ryoji Matsuoka Classical guitar

I just purchased this guitar at a flee market -- needs string, but in very nice condition.
Label says " mo. 12 " and there is a stamped # 91.476 on the second rib below the label.
The label is not signed, and the "12" looks hand written.

The label looks the same as labels I have seen on sites I have researched, and the guitar seems to have a cedar top.

I cannot find any info on a model 12 -- can anyone help me on this?
Thanks.

Hello,

i bought a mint Matsuoka 41/320 cedar, (indian or brasilian?) rosewood. If you have any informations about this specific modell or in general, I would be happy to hear from you!!!!

Best regards frank

Hi...I actuallly would like to know all about Ryoji Matsuoka guitars. I found one recently with a solid cedar top and I think laminated indian rosewood back & sides...rosewood fingerboard...very nice rosette...polished frets, etc. It has the Ramariez style headstock. I re-finished the top. It's very easy to play...nice soft touch. Very nice sound but not big enough for a concert hall...maybe. Written in pencil, I think, next to model # is 18. But, aside from this specific instrument...I would like to know about this maker...if you have the time and interest.

Thanks,

M Scott

I have one bought new in 1979 in UK. It is still in perfect condition. Mine is number 50 but there is no serial number or signature. Apart from that it seems the same. I may be looking to trade it soon along with my S Yairi 1978.

: I have a Matsuoka classical that my father bought used for $600 in the early '80's from a college student; dad told me at the time that the price was a "steal." The label says "Luthier Ryoji Matsoka," is stamped with a signature that looks to be the same name, model number 100, serial number 7419. It's in excellent condition, not a scratch or ding. Looks handmade. Has a very loud, yet warm sound. I have had no luck finding information about this guitar on the internet. Would love to know history of Matsuoka, year this guitar was made, etc. Please e-mail me with any information at christinewessel AT ucsbalum DOT net. Thanks!

I recently purchased a Ryoji Matsuoka M20 in mint condition. The tone is nice, strong basses, powerful, yet sweet in its intonation. I have owned an Australian Jeff Kemp, which was impeccable. I have also played a Romanillos which is the ultimate in a Classical guitar, (having visited the Semley workshop also!) At present the Matsuoka is the guitar one has when one doesn`t yet have a Romanillos?

Info on Matsuoka guitars

Hi- this site http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=3482 was helpful...here's their info

Unlike Matsumoku, the Ryoji Matsuoka guitar works was a small scale guitar manufacturer with under 15 employees. It is still in operation and sells low to mid-priced classical guitars. The current operation is overseen by Ryoji’s son: Toshiaki Matsuoka. The last that I have heard is that Ryoji is still involved with the company and is the chairman of the board.

For a few years during the 1960s and early 1970s , Matsuoka produced the higher end Aria guitar models for Shiro Arai, founder of Aria . These Aria models either have Ryoji Matsuoka's name on the label or are marked RM with a red stamp on the neck block. Matsuoka also made some models for Ibanez, including a few steel string flatop and archtop models.

During the early 1970s, Matsuoka produced Fleta, Hauser, Kohno and Rubio (David, not GV Rubio) models. From 1975 to 1980 the company produced their own line of guitars: the concert, artist and artisan series.

The Concert series includes the M20 ( lam spruce top, nato neck), M30 (solid spruce top, mahogany neck), M40 (solid spruce top, mahogany neck). All 3 models have laminated rosewood back and sides and rosewood fingerboards.

The Artist Series includes the M50 and M60. These guitars have better quality spruce tops, laminated Jacaranda back and sides, and ebony fingerboards

The Old World Artisan Series includes the M70 and M80, which had a one-piece classic guitar neck and I believe laminated rosewood back and sides.

During the 1980s and early 1990s, Matsuoka models included the M300, MH200, M150, M100, M80 and M60. I know that the M300, and MH 200 had solid rosewood back and sides. I believe (but I am not sure) that the M150 had solid rosewood back and sides. The M80, and M60 had laminated rosewood back and sides

I recently saw a M150 in excellent condition sell for 85,000 Yen (US $740) on a Japanese guitar website, so your model probably has solid back and sides (or the person overpaid big time). The 10 string version of the M150 would be worth quite a bit more, possible double that amount, with a range of $600 to $1400 USD, depending upon condition and interest.

Matsuoka currently produces guitars for Aranjuez (Orozco) and sells a low priced cosmetic copy of a Mathias Dammann classical guitar (does not follow actual Dammann construction) for about $1000 USD. Check out GSI for information on this model.

: I recently purchased a Ryoji Matsuoka M20 in mint condition. The tone is nice, strong basses, powerful, yet sweet in its intonation. I have owned an Australian Jeff Kemp, which was impeccable. I have also played a Romanillos which is the ultimate in a Classical guitar, (having visited the Semley workshop also!) At present the Matsuoka is the guitar one has when one doesn`t yet have a Romanillos?

Man I'd really love a Romanillos, that would just be the best. I know one of my favorite guitarist Antigoni Goni plays on one. She's the best man!!! I'd really love to get myself one but for now I'm settling for a Matsuoka. Thanks for the comments guys, you really helped!

Arnold

Arnold, what did you end up paying for this guitar?

: : I recently purchased a Ryoji Matsuoka M20 in mint condition. The tone is nice, strong basses, powerful, yet sweet in its intonation. I have owned an Australian Jeff Kemp, which was impeccable. I have also played a Romanillos which is the ultimate in a Classical guitar, (having visited the Semley workshop also!) At present the Matsuoka is the guitar one has when one doesn`t yet have a Romanillos?

: Man I'd really love a Romanillos, that would just be the best. I know one of my favorite guitarist Antigoni Goni plays on one. She's the best man!!! I'd really love to get myself one but for now I'm settling for a Matsuoka. Thanks for the comments guys, you really helped!

: Arnold

Related Gear:

my ryoji matsuoka guitar

I have a beautiful rosewood and ebony Ryoji Matsuoka guitar from 1972. bought in Tokyo, rarely played, mint condition. I'm thinking of selling, and would like to have some idea of its value. Any information you can share would be appreciated.

This is amazing...I too have a Matsuoka M20, have owned a Jeff Kemp, met Liam Romanillos AND played one of his beautiful guitars at his Semley workshop, (back when he lived next door to Julian Bream). This is a revelation!!!

: Arnold, what did you end up paying for this guitar?

: : : I recently purchased a Ryoji Matsuoka M20 in mint condition. The tone is nice, strong basses, powerful, yet sweet in its intonation. I have owned an Australian Jeff Kemp, which was impeccable. I have also played a Romanillos which is the ultimate in a Classical guitar, (having visited the Semley workshop also!) At present the Matsuoka is the guitar one has when one doesn`t yet have a Romanillos?

: : Man I'd really love a Romanillos, that would just be the best. I know one of my favorite guitarist Antigoni Goni plays on one. She's the best man!!! I'd really love to get myself one but for now I'm settling for a Matsuoka. Thanks for the comments guys, you really helped!

: : Arnold

I have a Matsuoka Dreadnaught guitar I purchased new in 1975 at a trade show in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada. It has been a fabulous guitar and compares favourably to my D18 Martin (1966 vintage). It is not a classical guitar. Has a 3 piece rosewood back and sides and solid spruce top. The information on the inside says "RYOJI MATSUOAKA' LUTHIER CONSTRUCCION ARTISTICA GUITARRAS.
ANO, NO340 NAGOYA JAPAN". I have enjoyed this guitar for 33 years and will always be one of the favorites in my collection of 20 plus instuments.I have never seen another Matsuoka guitar like this model.

: Arnold, what did you end up paying for this guitar?

: : : I recently purchased a Ryoji Matsuoka M20 in mint condition. The tone is nice, strong basses, powerful, yet sweet in its intonation. I have owned an Australian Jeff Kemp, which was impeccable. I have also played a Romanillos which is the ultimate in a Classical guitar, (having visited the Semley workshop also!) At present the Matsuoka is the guitar one has when one doesn`t yet have a Romanillos?

: : Man I'd really love a Romanillos, that would just be the best. I know one of my favorite guitarist Antigoni Goni plays on one. She's the best man!!! I'd really love to get myself one but for now I'm settling for a Matsuoka. Thanks for the comments guys, you really helped!

: : Arnold

Related Gear:
Read this if you are considering buying a Classical Guitar

Ryoji Matsuoka Guitar

I have one very similar that I bought in the mid-nineties in Claremont CA. I would go in the shop at lunch and of all the nylon string guitars, this one had such great tone and projection that I bought it for $500 then. It has the same paper label (look at this site, and it is the top label under the Matsuoka guitar http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar_vintage_guitar_dating_m1.htm) . It is also handwritten on the label No. 12, but no year, and is stamped at the base of the neck 75 418, so I assume it was made in 1975. There also a number written on the label in the upper right 15962. It looks like a spruce top (but dark), mohagany back and sides, and mohogany neck with a rosewood bridge and rosewood neck face. There are no other label markings, so I don't know what model it is, but from what I have read it looks like one of the aria models.

Any info on history of the inner markings would be helpful.

Thanks

ryoji matsuoka???

i bought this ryoji matsuoka from a guy in 1970.
there is no model no. inscribed on the label.
the label is ryoji matsuoka - luthier and some spanish words.
then this, "ANO _____ NO. 18 (HANDWRITTEN)
inside of the guitar is the numbers 74.829.

anyone know the model number for this guitar?
it appears to be well made with what looks like a spruce top that is stained somewhat amber in color with what looks like a two piece back in rosewood and rosewood sides.

it is a classical guitar that is highly polished gloss in finish.

any ideas of what model this one is? what is its value?
has a nice tone and brightness.

thanks.

Hi CHristine.

You have an excellent guitar! I owned a similar guitar years ago and sold it - a mistake! And I can share this with you, that unless you spend a lot of money and energy, you won't do any better, and can do way worse. As for Ryoji-san, I cannot tell you anything about him, but I'm pretty sure that if you just think of a guy in a workshop making guitars you'll be close enough.

regards,
timw

Ryoji Matsuoka Classical

Hi, I'm here inquiring to know if anyone know's about these Matsuoka classical guitar models. Can anyone tell alittle bit about them, some sort of review. I'm interested in purchasing a classical guitar and stumbled upon Matsuoka. I heard they were great, but not sure what to think. If anyone know's of this model or any other great model, please feel free to write back. Thanks a bunch!

Arnold

Re: Ryoji Matsuoka Classical Guitar

: Hi, I'm here inquiring to know if anyone know's about these Matsuoka classical guitar models. Can anyone tell alittle bit about them, some sort of review. I'm interested in purchasing a classical guitar and stumbled upon Matsuoka. I heard they were great, but not sure what to think. If anyone know's of this model or any other great model, please feel free to write back. Thanks a bunch!

: Arnold

------------
My brother, who plays classical guitar, bought me a Ryoji Matsuoka Classical Guitar (Barcelona Series M80). We selected it from a classical guitar store in San Francisco around 1978-1980. At the time, they were listing around $1K and every bit as good as the $3K Spanish made guitar he bought at another store. I have had it ever since and it has been nothing but wonderful with high praise from other guitarists who know guitars. Here is a site that had some info in case you find it helpful. Best of luck.

Related Gear:

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.