Alvarez 5058 9 string guitar

Advertisement
Posted by Clifton Whitley on Fri, 03/12/04 - 14:25:20.
In Reply to Ravita's Music

I purchased this guitar about 5 yrs ago and have never really played it very much at all. I bought it because of what it is. I had never heard of a 9 string guitar before. It is beautiful and has hardly ever been played. It is in mint condition and I would love to know how to tune it and its value. Looking for answers. Thanks to anyone that can help!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

alvarez 9 string

Other than my wife and dog my Alvarez 9 string is the most precious thing in my possession. It's a most misunderstood instrument. I am fortunate to have had it by my side through many trials and triumphs for about 25 years. She's a sweetheart, my "9 string nightmare". She's like a mule, she must have as much respect for you as you have for her.
Preston Harrison
"The Raggedy Man"

Re: Alvarez 5058 9 string guitar

: I purchased this guitar about 5 yrs ago and have never really played it very much at all. I bought it because of what it is. I had never heard of a 9 string guitar before. It is beautiful and has hardly ever been played. It is in mint condition and I would love to know how to tune it and its value. Looking for answers. Thanks to anyone that can help!

: : I purchased this guitar about 5 yrs ago and have never really played it very much at all. I bought it because of what it is. I had never heard of a 9 string guitar before. It is beautiful and has hardly ever been played. It is in mint condition and I would love to know how to tune it and its value. Looking for answers. Thanks to anyone that can help!

To tune a 9 string. tune normal 6 then 1st an 2nd strings tune the same. 3rd an 4th strings tune the same.tune 6th string from 1st string @ 3rd fret. I would like to buy one if you want to sell. they range from 400.00 to 600.00 depending on model

Currently a Model 5058 is for sale on Ebay. Starting bid is $600.00, which I think is a bit high.

Also, I have a 5058, myself, and if this instrument on EBAY gets sold, perhaps I will post mine.

Mike

: : I purchased this guitar about 5 yrs ago and have never really played it very much at all. I bought it because of what it is. I had never heard of a 9 string guitar before. It is beautiful and has hardly ever been played. It is in mint condition and I would love to know how to tune it and its value. Looking for answers. Thanks to anyone that can help!

a friend of mine had one of these, a beautiful sound - tuning is standard on this instrument

g - octaves
b - string is just doubled (same gauge)
e - same as above

if you'd ever think of selling this, please keep me in mind!!!

erik

I have a 5058 Alvarez 9 string that I have not played in years, it has been stored in the closet in a hard case. I will part with for $500.

9 string guitar

Still for sale?

ALVAREZ 5058

I'M INTERESTED IN YOUR GUITAR. I HAD ONE 4 YEARS AGO AND LOST IT TO A FIRE. IT WAS A GREAT LOSS FOR ME AND I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE IT.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SELLING IT LET ME KNOW WHAT KIND OF SHAPE IT'S IN AND SEND ME SOME GOOD PHOTO'S.

It's an interesting novelty, but they're very difficult to maintain. The design of the headstock (three tuning pegs on the top side, six pegs on the bottom for righthanded players) meant that the necks tended to twist due to the uneven pressure from the extra strings. It was one of the reasons they stopped making 'em.

neck twist

I have one that is proably 25-30 years old and has no twist at all. The difference in pull on the two sides of the neck is very slight as the treble strings have much less pull per string than the bass strings. Mine is rock solid. I don't know where you got your info, and really wonder if you've ever owned one. They quit making them due to low sales. Most people don't understand them. I use mine for songs that have a strong bass line combined with sparkling treble sweeps and cross picking. The punch of a six and the sparkle of a twelve!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.