obsolite guitars companies

Advertisement
Posted by Chris on Sat, 02/24/01 - 13:33:13.

Im trying to find a date base of obsolite guitar companies .
Im especially interested in the Columbus company which to my
knowledge has now closed down . I have a columbus series 3 .
which has lead me to want to find outr about the company .
I know Columbus as a make were new great guitars , but
if a guitar suites -enjoy it .
please please can someone help , Ive tried on the net and no
luck so far .
Thanks Chris C Uk surrey

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

columbus

I have just aquired a series3 super strat. It has a original floyd rose bridge in fact everything looks original on it and in good shape. Does anyone know how much its worth and if change pickups on it will it raise or lower its worth.

Columbus series 3

I bought my columbus series 3 ( metallic anthracite Jackson superstrat lookalike) in 1988 in a small music shop near the top of South Ealing road, in London. It cost me 200 quid or so back then. The old, fiddly kahler tremelo has since been relpaced by a floyd rose and the frets have been filed. I always felt it was a trifle better than the other middle range guitars and I still play it today. There were never many of them around though..and they turned up in various shapes and formats. There was a sticker indicating Japanese origin and a pretty awful, tremelo system. The floyd rose fixed that. I use far more expensive models, and she is as good as them. I dont think these guitars have any resale value though..on the second hand circuit, an old dinky or charvel 4 is a far better proposition. Anyway, to sum up, it plays well enough to keep and use and when other players see it, its always a talking point

Re: obsolite guitars companies

I have the Columbus series 3 335 copy, i purchased it 2nd hand at a guitar show for £100. The guitar looks and plays fantastically,not the best guitar ive ever played but it just feels soo right.I have been looking for information on this brand but there seems to be very little history on them, what i can find seems to say most of these guitars seem to be poor quality but the 335 copies are highly regarded.whatever, it seems if the guitar feels right with the player who cares what others think,personally i love this guitar,it was made the year i was born so i intend to keep playing it til the day i die!!

Sorry for this question, but

Sorry for this question, but I've just buy this guitar and I want to know aproximatively his age, so what is the year of your birth please? thx

Yohann

Re: !960's columbus series 1 guitar price value

Hi I'm trying to find the true value of a 1960's columbus Strat style guitar in blood red with no damage and in mint condition as I have had a lot of speculations off friends and family about how much it is worth.
Thanks

Re: !960's columbus series 1 guitar price value

i have the same guitar if you get any info on this could you please tell me??!!?

Columbus 335
Summary
Features 10 (1 response)
Sound 9 (1 response)
Action, Fit, & Finish 10 (1 response)
Reliability/Durability 10 (1 response)
Customer Support N/A (1 response)
Overall Rating N/A (1 response)
Additional Info Search Web
Submit a review for this product!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
Price Paid: N/A
Purchased from: N/A

Features: 10
A Gibson 335 copy made in 1977 in Japan. Laminated top. 2 volume + 2 tone + 3 way selector switch. 2 humbucker pickups. Mahogany neck, hollow, pinstripe bound body with centre block. Sunburst cherry finish. Thinline body. Good quality unbranded tuners, bridge and stop are Les Paul style. Rosewood board, Gibson style frets, bound neck.

Sound: 9
Good jazz and rock and roll sound. More mellow than a Les Paul or an SG. Used through a Fender Twin. Distortion pedal. Rich sound, not harsh or bright. Sounds good.

Action, Fit, & Finish: 10
25 years old and still no problems - can't be bad!

Reliability/Durability: 10
I used this regularly for pubs and clubs. Has one or two marks now but everything is solid and still works fine. I never took a backup!

Customer Support: N/A
Never delt with them. Stopped making them in the 80s I think.

Overall Rating: N/A
Been playing 30ish years. Happy with it. Still have it. Bound F holes would have been nice.

Submitted by Jack at 12/07/2003 12:19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
Features 10 (1 response)
Sound 9 (1 response)
Action, Fit, & Finish 10 (1 response)
Reliability/Durability 10 (1 response)
Customer Support N/A (1 response)
Overall Rating N/A (1 response)
Additional Info Search Web
Submit a review for this product!

I've got a Columbus 335 dated '76. It has bound F holes, grover machine heads (apparently they also made them unbranded for the most Columbus') and a fixed bridge (the original was moveable) which makes me think this one has been customised.
The pick ups I'd say are original due to the soldering and wire colours. The sound is absolutely amazing and I play it in favour of my Fender teleacoustic, the set up is ideal for jazz and blues players and it holds the tuning on two steps bends (ideal if you're playing Albert King tunes).
I've played a few Gibson 355s when working on them or repairing them, I'd say the fretboard is more playable than the Columbus but the tone is probably on the same level (I've only tested it by ear).
Overall it's a near perfect guitar

I have just acquired a black Columbus Les Paul with Epiphone pickups. It plays and sounds pretty good. This particular example was autographed by all the members of Paul Jones' The Blues Band in 1995. I have come across Columbus guitars in the past but must admit I know almost nothing about them, but I am curious to find out more.....

Columbus guitars

: I have just acquired a black Columbus Les Paul with Epiphone pickups. It plays and sounds pretty good. This particular example was autographed by all the members of Paul Jones' The Blues Band in 1995. I have come across Columbus guitars in the past but must admit I know almost nothing about them, but I am curious to find out more.....

Re: Columbus guitars

i too have a columbus but mine is of the gibson 335 style i got mine done up new machine heads groovers new bridge saddle of which i made every thing is pretty well standard origonal pups they sound grate don't know much else about them mine could be seventys but as i said there is no info about these guitars any where if anybody has any info let me know charlie

I know nothing about the company, but I acquired a '335' off a friend who used it on the stage in the West End of London in 'Buddy' in the 80's. Best guess is that it's a Mk 3 and a late 70's build. Blood/carmine red with black scratch plate and 'ivory' pin stripe inset on the edges, I'm updating it with replacement humbuckers (seymour duncans);cos the guys in the occasional band love it's tone - mellow jazz to mature deep rock - just great. It's aged well, and sounds a treat. If anyone finds one in good nick - its a great buy.
Cheers. Tim

i have the same guita in a dark cherry red... ive had it a few years, its in pretty poor nick, i too would love to find out more info on these guitars and after searching for ages ive never found out anything about em...

: Im trying to find a date base of obsolite guitar companies . I am looking for information on alcivar guitars. I have a alcivar dobro and am looking for anything I can find.

i am curently restoring a columbus les paul copy do you know any info on this type of guitar :having search the web i can not find any thing

I now have, in addition to my Columbus Les Paul, a Columbus SG made in Japan. It took a bit of work setting it up but it now feels and plays pretty good and looks beautiful. Further to that though I am still no more wiser as to the history of the Columbus guitar company. Surely somebody out there must know something, eh?

columbus guitars

i'm working currently working on a strat shaped columbus which i've had for years now it has a bridge with fine tuners but i cannot find where to get parts for this bridge! can anyone help?

i have a columbus les paul copy from the 70s, what kind of info do u need?

: i got a columbus last christmas off my uncle. He bought it in the mid 70's and im looking to find out its value but can't find anything about it.

i have one of these in working order
what do you need to know?

Re: obsolite guitars companies/columbus guitars i have the awnse

obsolite guitars companies/columbus guitars i have the awnse

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: obsolite guitars companies/columbus guitars i have the awnse

I have a columbus strat and am trying to find out about the model with no such luck on the net so far, can someone help

i have a gibson sg style alcivar electric. i'm also curious about this maker

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.