Looking for Global Guitar Co.

Posted by tom on Tue, 02/13/07 - 21:20:09.

I have what seems to be one of very few guitars left that were made by global musical instrument company, which was in turn manufactured by sorento, nola, bolero, sonata, and torino. If anyone has any ideas, info, or pics even lemme know

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Looking for Global Guitar Co.

I bought my Global 401DN Accustic Guitar at Lackland AFB, Texas PX for $20 in November 1969. The other day I cleaned out My sisters Garage and there it was, With 4 origional strings and still, a High Bridge. She is blond faced wraped in red wood. The Head is two slot cut and red wood color, with Gold Glodal logo in old english. Inside port is the round paper Global logo. She came back 40 years later, maybe she is looking for a new set of strings?

Global Acoustic Guitar... Great Grandmother's

I have my great grandmother's old Global Acoustic guitar.

Re: Global Acoustic Guitar... Great Grandmother's

i also have an old global accoustic turns out they are hand made in the phillipiens .....but worth very little hope that helps

i just bought a Global SG/EB3 type bass off Ebay.
Paid 220.00 and know it's worth that or more.
i've seen this Global model 495 B go for 350.00 before the one i bought.
i also play a Kay KB2 and it blows the Kay away
in sound & craftmansship.
It has an "Ebony" fretboard, not rosewood.
Something you normally only see on a '67-68 Gibson
SG guitars (Standards: Rosewood -Customs: Ebony) .
Nice bound work, very strong mini humbucker.
i've read "somewhere" (and it's gone now)
Ibanez made most of these Globals
then shipped them to Chicago and were
stamped by Global.
Global was just the retailers brand.
i think they were made AFTER the lawsuit models.
No country of orign stamps anywhere on my model.
Which tells me they were slightly altered
(no book seam in Gibson type headstock)
to get them in the US after the lawsuits.
It still has the foil 495B sticker on headstock.
It was made with solid mahogany neck & mahogany laminents
body and it's thicker than the Kay's body.
Deeper heel pocket for awesome sustain!
i think they're better than the Epip copys.
And these aren't Neck Heavy like the Gibsons or Epipies.

What's it's worth to me?
It's worth more than an New Epip Eb copy.
And the fretboard won't bust out from the neck
like the Indo Epips commonly do.

Why buy a vintage Gibson when they go for less
than a brand new one did?
The Gibson SG basses did not hold their value.
Ex: Vintage 68 Gibby SG Bass sold yesterday for only 820.00.
A brand new 2008 RI SG will cost you 1399.00
That's very sad to me.
It looks like , to me, it should be the other way around.

This Global 495B is bringing more than they did when they were new.
Gibson's Nor Epipies gain in value.
They actually go down in value.

Experience: Thirty Year Bass hack.
Have played many major & offshoot brands.
i like the offshoot vintage Asian basses by far!
They seemed to care more about quality
back in the 70s than the USA companys did.

So ya like Globals?
Then you have good taste!

www.myspace.com/30yearsafter

WTF?!?

What a load of misinformation! Either this is meant to be a joke, or this review was written by a 13 year old who never played a bass guitar before. I had a Global EB-3 copy back in '83. It was my first bass... It was total crap... If you paid more than 50 bucks for it, you got took. This Japanese toy is nowhere close to the quality of modern EPIPHONES. Comparing this bass to a GIBSON EB-3/SG is just delusional. The body is made of PLYWOOD, the neck is low-grade mahogany (the neck on mine was unstable and the truss rod was useless). Obviously, you don't know what Ebony looks like, because that's NOT what your fretboard is made of. The hardware is junk, and the pickups and electronics are cheap garbage. Whoever told you that these were made by Ibanez, just wanted to soak you for $220.

These basses are wall-decorations at best.

I just had my Global stolen from my car, left it in over night. stupid. Do you know if those pickups were the same as the Gibson models?

The thief must be very

The thief must be very disappointed.

I have a classical Global guitar, stickers on the back say it's made in Korea and it has the number 705.

This was my first guitar, and I still love playing it, even though I'm a bit out of control and have a selection of Martins and Ovations.

I got this guitar for Christmas in 1978 when I was in college. I believe it cost about $100 without a case.

I found this post on the internet because I was searching to see if the company was still in business. This is a much higher quality guitar than other cheap guitars for sale today. It's all natural color wood, no paint, and the sound quality is pretty good. I have a little bit of raising on the back of the bridge, and I'm just today in the process of replacing the tuners.

This guitar is not my favorite, but it's the one I love the most. I can provide pix if you're still interested.

Global Guitar

Are these global guitars worth anything?

Mine says made in Korea, number 405. the tuner hardware looks elaborate, but could be crap for all I know.

I found this on AllExperts.com:

"Global was a brand name used by an importer in Chicago of cheaply-made instruments from a variety of sources in Asia in the 1960s and 1970s (and maybe later). Even if in perfect condition, it's probably not worth more than around $50. Without seeing it or having a better description or photos, I can't tell you much more than that."

But who knows. Are they really ALL EXPERTS? teehee.

I found an old Global in a shed of one of the houses i used to rent. I really want to fix it up even though i know its cheap it seems to have some charactor. does anyone know how there acoustics sound? Its in really good condition but the tuners probably could use a replacing. It even has some mother of pearl in it.

I just got one from my cousin, given to him by his Dad, gotten from Heavan knows where....
The reason I have it and so on... is that the Bridge has pulled from the body of the guitar. I am not sure it is worth repair... but plan to look into it.

: I have what seems to be one of very few guitars left that were made by global musical instrument company, which was in turn manufactured by sorento, nola, bolero, sonata, and torino. If anyone has any ideas, info, or pics even lemme know

: I have what seems to be one of very few guitars left that were made by global musical instrument company, which was in turn manufactured by sorento, nola, bolero, sonata, and torino. If anyone has any ideas, info, or pics even lemme know

June 28 2007
I just purched a Global guitar over ebay the same discription as the one above. This one is a clasical model. I found this site by trying to find out something about the Co. I had never heard of them

sorento guitar model #4001

i would like the history on the sorento guitar my husband 's dad gave him one when he was a kid

: : I have what seems to be one of very few guitars left that were made by global musical instrument company, which was in turn manufactured by sorento, nola, bolero, sonata, and torino. If anyone has any ideas, info, or pics even lemme know

: June 28 2007
: I just purched a Global guitar over ebay the same discription as the one above. This one is a clasical model. I found this site by trying to find out something about the Co. I had never heard of them

I purchased mine in 1990 for $60.00. It's a full size classical guitar, and on the back it has two gold colored stickers. One says "Made In Korea" and the other is just a number. Based on the fact it's made in Asia, I doubt that it's worth more than the $60 I paid for it to begin with. But it's a good guitar none the less.

: : I have what seems to be one of very few guitars left that were made by global musical instrument company, which was in turn manufactured by sorento, nola, bolero, sonata, and torino. If anyone has any ideas, info, or pics even lemme know

: June 28 2007
: I just purched a Global guitar over ebay the same discription as the one above. This one is a clasical model. I found this site by trying to find out something about the Co. I had never heard of them

I just purchased a Sorento Guitar at a yard sale and would like to find out what it is worth. It is in excellent condition they had it for fifty years it is in the case. If any one knows anything about it please let me know.

: : : I have what seems to be one of very few guitars left that were made by global musical instrument company, which was in turn manufactured by sorento, nola, bolero, sonata, and torino. If anyone has any ideas, info, or pics even lemme know,
as a matter a fact i also just accuired a small body acoustic from a relative cant find any value info or other has steel reinforced neck and 4001 stamp on back sort of a sunburst finish with white pick gaurd and metal tail piece any info would be appreciated as im going to restore this guitar appears to be brass frets also

: : June 28 2007
: : I just purched a Global guitar over ebay the same discription as the one above. This one is a clasical model. I found this site by trying to find out something about the Co. I had never heard of them

: I just purchased a Sorento Guitar at a yard sale and would like to find out what it is worth. It is in excellent condition they had it for fifty years it is in the case. If any one knows anything about it please let me know.

: : : I have what seems to be one of very few guitars left that were made by global musical instrument company, which was in turn manufactured by sorento, nola, bolero, sonata, and torino. If anyone has any ideas, info, or pics even lemme know

: : I just purched a Global guitar over ebay the same discription as the one above. This one is a clasical model. I found this site by trying to find out something about the Co. I had never heard of them

: I just purchased a Sorento Guitar at a yard sale and would like to find out what it is worth. It is in excellent condition they had it for fifty years it is in the case. If any one knows anything about it please let me know.

Hi, I just purchased a Global, older accoustic with case, made in Korea. Top and bottom pickguards are decorated with trailing flowers and vines. Back is embossed with similar pattern. very nice and has some age. Great condition. Wonder what it's worth?
Mike

: : : I have what seems to be one of very few guitars left that were made by global musical instrument company, which was in turn manufactured by sorento, nola, bolero, sonata, and torino. If anyone has any ideas, info, or pics even lemme know

don't know about the global , but the sorento is a japanese made epiphone course all gibson and epiphone were made there for awhile, found one on google worth about $379 in excellent condition , says they had bad necks and were used for slide guitars alot , but some were actually made higher end

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guitar-General-649/Global-guitar-worth.htm

I just bought one from a garage sale for 40$. It's not bad, but it's pretty much a Les Paul knockoff. I'm also having trouble with finding a cable that fits.

Still have my global guitar from 70's

I have a Global guitar that I purchased new from a Sears Catalog some time in the mid 70's. It is Red with sunburst front. It has a black pickguard with red roses and a white dove. The bridge has screws that raise and lower the strings. Paid around $89.99 new with package including the hard case. Still plays good just a little hard on the upper frets. Also the Bridge has raised a little in the back.

Global accoustic electric

Just acquired a 9 string, maple finish back and sides , spruce top, ivoroid bindings on box, neck and headstock. Plywood back and sides, but stringset, and bridge are in good shape. Plays and sounds nice, with unique "maple" sound4

: : :i also have got my hands on a global guitar however after extended periods of searching i have been unable to find any information on the guitar i have in my possession it has some what of a les-paul body, although it has terrible problems with staying in tune i believe it is due to it being older then 40

I bought a very old but decent condition Global Hummingbird guitar and want to know if anyone else that has one can tell me - is it supposed to use steel or nylon strings? Mine was made in Korea and appears more than 30 yrs old.

: : I have what seems to be one of very few guitars left that were made by global musical instrument company, which was in turn manufactured by sorento, nola, bolero, sonata, and torino. If anyone has any ideas, info, or pics even lemme know #12411

well last year my dad gave me his old acoustic by Global, umm.. I don't know the price but, I can try to give you it's serial code if that would help.

Hi Luke. I have one of the Global Hummingbirds, which is about 30 years old now and mint. After doing some research, I discovered that Gibson actually made these guitars for a short time, I believe before epiphone. The sound is exceptional. They did a nice job. If you look at the current Gibson Hummingbird accoustic pic gaurd, and compare it to the Global Hummingbird, they are identical. This was how I found Gibson. You can find some references to them on the Gibson web site. They also made Global electrics.

Hope this helps.

Missy

My comment is quite late but here is some information. The guitar you described is older than 30 years. Gibson had bought rights and was making Hummingbird guitars before 1960 so your Global guitar was made before then. Global was not subsequently made by the other companies that you listed. Instead, Global made all of those brands at their factories.

I have a global acoustic guitar i beleive from 1960, with the hummingbird design on the pick-guard, im not sure about the value though. any questions reply to me >>>>> classicgm502@aol.com

I have a 1962 Global Hummingbird that I recently acquired in a trade. Mine has a three piece inlaid back and upper and lower pick guards. I am trying to find out what the value is if anyone out there has any first hand knowledge, let me know. Thanks avbailey@cityofpowdersprings.org: : : I have what seems to be one of very few guitars left that were made by global musical instrument company, which was in turn manufactured by sorento, nola, bolero, sonata, and torino. If anyone has any ideas, info, or pics even lemme know

: Hi Luke. I have one of the Global Hummingbirds, which is about 30 years old now and mint. After doing some research, I discovered that Gibson actually made these guitars for a short time, I believe before epiphone. The sound is exceptional. They did a nice job. If you look at the current Gibson Hummingbird accoustic pic gaurd, and compare it to the Global Hummingbird, they are identical. This was how I found Gibson. You can find some references to them on the Gibson web site. They also made Global electrics.

: Hope this helps.

: Missy

I saw this and thought it would help.

Topic: Guitar - General

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert: Bill Ruxton
Date: 8/14/2005
Subject: Global guitar worth

Question
Hello, My grampa gave me an old acoustic guitar he had gotten from someone. It is by Global. I don't play and don't plan to. So I'm selling it and wondering how much it's worth. Can you help me? Thank you very much, Lauren

Get the answer below
Sponsored Links
A Music Shop Near You
Music, Instruments & Lessons Serving Glenwood Springs & Nearby
GlenwoodMusic.com

Vintage Appraisal $3.99
Usedprice.com Vintage Appraisals What is your Vintage Guitar worth?
www.UsedPrice.com

Guitars,exiting new sound
Get more sustain and tone with USA made Guitars, basses that rock
www.bunker-guitars.com

Answer
Dear Lauren,

Global was a brand name used by an importer in Chicago of cheaply-made instruments from a variety of sources in Asia in the 1960s and 1970s (and maybe later). Even if in perfect condition, it's probably not worth more than around $50. Without seeing it or having a better description or photos, I can't tell you much more than that.

Hope this helps,

Bill
bilrux@aol.com

Re: Looking for Global Guitar information

: I have Global Guitar with Serial#ST85BS NOT IN THE BEST SHAPE AND WAS WONDERING IF IT WORTH FIXING.

: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

: Expert: Bill Ruxton
: Date: 8/14/2005
: Subject: Global guitar worth

: Question
: Hello, My grampa gave me an old acoustic guitar he had gotten from someone. It is by Global. I don't play and don't plan to. So I'm selling it and wondering how much it's worth. Can you help me? Thank you very much, Lauren

: Get the answer below
: Sponsored Links
: A Music Shop Near You
: Music, Instruments & Lessons Serving Glenwood Springs & Nearby
: GlenwoodMusic.com

: Vintage Appraisal $3.99
: Usedprice.com Vintage Appraisals What is your Vintage Guitar worth?
: www.UsedPrice.com

: Guitars,exiting new sound
: Get more sustain and tone with USA made Guitars, basses that rock
: www.bunker-guitars.com

: Answer
: Dear Lauren,

: Global was a brand name used by an importer in Chicago of cheaply-made instruments from a variety of sources in Asia in the 1960s and 1970s (and maybe later). Even if in perfect condition, it's probably not worth more than around $50. Without seeing it or having a better description or photos, I can't tell you much more than that.

: Hope this helps,

: Bill
: bilrux@aol.com

looking for global acoustic model #4003

a friends has a global guitar very old. it has a model number of 4003... I am looking for anybody has any information on the worth of this instrument, It is in incredible shape and probably the most beautiful sounding guitar i've ever played, but we cannot locate the worth anywhere if anybody has any information i would really appreciate it. thank you so much.

old kraftsman

: I saw this and thought it would help.

: Topic: Guitar - General

: my-name-is-luke-ive-bought-a-old-kraftsman-ive-refreted-it-because-you-could-barley-play-it-now-it-plays-as-good-as-my-les-paul-its-got-a-fret-board-thats-dark-like-my-les-paul-and-has-binding-just-like-my-les-paul-i-can-send-photos-if-you-can-tell-me-the-email-adress-to-send it-to-------------------

: Expert: Bill Ruxton
: Date: 8/14/2005
: Subject: Global guitar worth

: Question
: Hello, My grampa gave me an old acoustic guitar he had gotten from someone. It is by Global. I don't play and don't plan to. So I'm selling it and wondering how much it's worth. Can you help me? Thank you very much, Lauren

: Get the answer below
: Sponsored Links
: A Music Shop Near You
: Music, Instruments & Lessons Serving Glenwood Springs & Nearby
: GlenwoodMusic.com

: Vintage Appraisal $3.99
: Usedprice.com Vintage Appraisals What is your Vintage Guitar worth?
: www.UsedPrice.com

: Guitars,exiting new sound
: Get more sustain and tone with USA made Guitars, basses that rock
: www.bunker-guitars.com

: Answer
: Dear Lauren,

: Global was a brand name used by an importer in Chicago of cheaply-made instruments from a variety of sources in Asia in the 1960s and 1970s (and maybe later). Even if in perfect condition, it's probably not worth more than around $50. Without seeing it or having a better description or photos, I can't tell you much more than that.

: Hope this helps,

: Bill
: bilrux@aol.com

My friend has a Global guitar and he just put in new pots and wiring. it has two humbucker pickups.

Just found an acoustic guitar in the dumpster out back. Has the same info as above ie, Global Instrument Company. I wonder if this was just manufactured for something like Woolworth's department store and they just did it for them.
Sorry, no information. The guitar is alot smaller and has the number "4001" on the back.

looking for a global guitar

I'm looking for a '75-79 Global acoustic guitar with a sunburst finish with mother of pearl inlays, it was the model I learned on. It's a huge guitar. If you have one send pictures!

I ALSO HAVE ONE, DID YOU EVER RECEIVE ANY INFO AS TO WORTH OR COMPANY,THANKS.

Friend has one

Just saw your post as I am also looking for the company who made global guitars. My wifes cousin waled in tonight with one that is a Les Paul knock off in a tobacco burst.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.