Ibanez Concord Hummingbird Acoustic Guitar

Posted by Carl on Tue, 11/05/02 - 01:20:27.
In Reply to Chris B's Music

I have an old Ibanez Concord Hummingbird 6-string acoustic guitar. Can someone help me?? I need to know which model and year the guitar is. I bought it around early 70s.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Ibanez Concord Hummingbird Acoustic Guitar

: I have an old Ibanez Concord Hummingbird 6-string acoustic guitar. Can someone help me?? I need to know which model and year the guitar is. I bought it around early 70s.

Hi Tom,
I also got one and I found in the sound hole "model 684".
I also bought this guitar back in the early 70's.
Hope this can help.
Rgds

: I have an old Ibanez Concord Hummingbird 6-string acoustic guitar. Can someone help me?? I need to know which model and year the guitar is. I bought it around early 70s.

It's a 684. Check the base of the neck (look in the sound hole) you might see a serial number.

I bought mine new in 1978, they had been making them for several years.

I still have it and adore it. It is indeed model 684BK (black). I think I paid $300 in the 70s, likely worth alot more now. Think Gibson told them to cease and desist production due to infringement on their design.

I have a friend in France who has two of them! What coincidence. He has a black and a tan. The tan has warped neck; black still plays nice.

pooch

I also have one but mine has a sunburst finish its in great shape but Gibson sued ibanez for copying their design. because of this ibanez was only able to maufacter i believe its either 2,000 or 20,000 but they are extremely rare. when i went to have fine priced the man couldnt give me a definite price because he said he had only seen two of them in his lifetime. but that its worth holding onto because it is worth a good amount of money.

Ibanez Concord 684bk

Hi this was my first guitar purchase in the 70's...It has been played a lot...this is the easiest guitar to play and has a very rich quality sound...I also own a Martin but prefer the ease of playing my Ibanez...it not only looks brand new shiny black but it draws compliments wherever I take it....no regrets on paying the 350.00 back in the 70's for this black beauty...Wouk definitely recommend this guitar to anyone.....did not know about the Gibson infringement thing...interesting...

I bought mine in early 1976 from a shop in Reading (UK). It was sat in the window when I first saw it and I did not give a thought about buying it. But the shop owner put it in my hands and suggested I try it. I was hooked straight away. I think I only paid about £85.00 for it then.

I still have that guitar (30 years and counting)it's seen me through a lot of good gigs, helped me through some bad times as well and together we've written some songs. These days it sits in my office and comes out occasionally during my lunch hour. It sounds terrific and if I'm really honest as good as my Martin D18 which is quite new and not worn in yet.

I actually had a friend back in the 80's who had a Gibson Hummingbird and he preferred the sound from my Ibanez.

At 30 years old I'm thinking of treating it to a set of Grover machine heads.

Ibanez Hummingbird

Great to see this thread - I bought mine back around 1973 from a shop in Shaftesbury Avenue; it's orange'red-back like a burst o'sun! can't remember what I paid for it then but I still record & gig with it. Have never found another guitar to match it for sustain and action - it is simply the bees knees for action and tone for both jazz, blues & ballads. It still beats my Martin, Fender & Tanglewood guitars

Guitars made pre-1975 did not have serial numbers. I bought mine in 1973 and I still love it--it's my favorite guitar.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.