kimbara

Posted by paula on Fri, 12/17/04 - 16:15:11.
In Reply to S&L MUSIC GEAR

Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about kimbara
accoustic guitars just came across one, it was made in korea
and it has square shaped pearl insets on the frets,
it also has the pearl trim the whole way round the edge of the guitar
and going up the back of the guitar in a V shape .
the label on the inside of the guitar says KIMBARA specially made for
FCN.england model no. 8/Y
I would appreciate any information about it .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: kimbara acoustic guitar No way!......I have model number 29 of the same guitar!!

the frets,
: : : : it also has the pearl trim the whole way round the edge of the guitar
: : : : and going up the back of the guitar in a V shape .
: : : : the label on the inside of the guitar says KIMBARA specially made for
: : : : FCN.england model no. 8/Y
: : : : I would appreciate any information about it .

: : : Hullo,

: : : I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar that I bought in approx. 1975 for about £36. The label reads: "Kimbara, specially made in Japan for FCN London. Model no. 169 Serial no. 46118" The design is essentially plain but with a mosaic design around the sound hole.

: : : I am trying to get a value for it so that I can sell it.

: : I bought my kimbara model 71 back in the mid 70's whilst comparing it with a guild that cost four times as much and sounded only marginally better. if you want to sell," wizzard guitars" in Doncaster England buy vintage guitars and I've seen Kimbaras on their wanted sheet.... But with good strings, you'll not better it on sound or price, and its vintage.

:
: Hello...... i too have a Kimbara Guitar with the same info...ie made especially for london fcn... model number 30....can anyone tell me whether this is guitar shape/design or number made?

I have model number 29 of same guitar and it sounds beautifull and plays with ease.....amazing guitar and i've played a few.

Re: kimbara acoustic guitar No way!......I have model number 29

: : : : Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about kimbara
: : : : accoustic guitars just came across one, it was made in korea
: : : : and it has square shaped pearl insets on the frets,

: : : I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar that I bought in approx. 1975 for about £36. The label reads: "Kimbara, specially made in Japan for FCN London. Model no. 169 Serial no. 46118" The design is essentially plain but with a mosaic design around the sound hole.

: : I bought my kimbara model 71 back in the mid 70's whilst comparing it with a guild that cost four times as much and sounded only marginally better. if you want to sell," wizzard guitars" in Doncaster England buy vintage guitars and I've seen Kimbaras on their wanted sheet.... But with good strings, you'll not better it on sound or price, and its vintage.

:
: Hello...... i too have a Kimbara Guitar with the same info...ie made especially for london fcn... model number 30....can anyone tell me whether this is guitar shape/design or number made?

Japanese built Kimbara accoustic guitar - model 8/Y

I've been given a Japanese-built Kimbara 8/Y (Serial No. 10618). It appears that this may have been built in the late 70's/early 80's. It's a beautiful guitar and its tone is wonderful. Can anyone shed any further light on this? I know that it's in the upper end of the Kimbara market, but wondered if anyone is aware of its actual value?

Re: kimbara acoustic guitar

Hi,

I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar, bought over thirty years ago for £30. The label inside reads 'Specially made in Japan for FCN London Model Number 71 Serial No. 44063'. It has round shaped pearl insets on the frets. It has survived a great number of house moves etc. and has a lovely rich sound.

I have a Kimbara, made in Japan for FCN England, Model Number 2/6. I have no idea who made it, or where it came from, but I'll tell you this - it plays and sounds wonderful - not as good as a quality Martin or Taylor (but then what does?) The difference is, a Martin that sounds as good as my Kimbara would cost at least $3000 and would take ages to mature. If you have a Kimbara, string it up with Martin SP strings, and you'll be amazed at the quality of the sound. They are rare instruments - not many were made and they were ludicrously cheap, but I for one, would never sell mine.

kIMBARA 12 STRING ACOUSTIC

Hi,I have a 1977 12 string acoustic .This is a really nice and am told rare model .Its been in my loft for 15 years and now re strung sounds great.

: : Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about kimbara
: : accoustic guitars just came across one, it was made in korea
: : and it has square shaped pearl insets on the frets,
: : it also has the pearl trim the whole way round the edge of the guitar
: : and going up the back of the guitar in a V shape .
: : the label on the inside of the guitar says KIMBARA specially made for
: : FCN.england model no. 8/Y
: : I would appreciate any information about it .

: Hullo,

: I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar that I bought in approx. 1975 for about £36. The label reads: "Kimbara, specially made in Japan for FCN London. Model no. 169 Serial no. 46118" The design is essentially plain but with a mosaic design around the sound hole.

: I am trying to get a value for it so that I can sell it.

: : : Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about kimbara
: : : accoustic guitars just came across one, it was made in korea
: : : and it has square shaped pearl insets on the frets,
: : : it also has the pearl trim the whole way round the edge of the guitar
: : : and going up the back of the guitar in a V shape .
: : : the label on the inside of the guitar says KIMBARA specially made for
: : : FCN.england model no. 8/Y
: : : I would appreciate any information about it .

: : Hullo,

: : I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar that I bought in approx. 1975 for about £36. The label reads: "Kimbara, specially made in Japan for FCN London. Model no. 169 Serial no. 46118" The design is essentially plain but with a mosaic design around the sound hole.

: : I am trying to get a value for it so that I can sell it.

>>>>> Hi, I too have the 169 model but mine is 31028, which shows how many of these they were making. I bought it round about 1969 in a music shop in London for around £24. It has a lovely tone. The value of a guitar is how much it would cost you to replace with an equivalent. I won't be selling mine.
It's too valuable to me.

: Hullo,

: I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar that I bought in approx. 1975 for about £36. The label reads: "Kimbara, specially made in Japan for FCN London. Model no. 169 Serial no. 46118" The design is essentially plain but with a mosaic design around the sound hole.

: I am trying to get a value for it so that I can sell it.

hi,i also own a very old kimbara 12 string also made SPECIALLY for FCN-England,the guitar is was made in japan, and it apparantley belonged to a 50's blues singer. The FCN is FENDER guitars and i woud'nt sell it fir the world.

: : : Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about kimbara
: : : accoustic guitars just came across one, it was made in korea
: : : and it has square shaped pearl insets on the frets,
: : : it also has the pearl trim the whole way round the edge of the guitar
: : : and going up the back of the guitar in a V shape .
: : : the label on the inside of the guitar says KIMBARA specially made for
: : : FCN.england model no. 8/Y
: : : I would appreciate any information about it .

: : Hullo,

: : I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar that I bought in approx. 1975 for about £36. The label reads: "Kimbara, specially made in Japan for FCN London. Model no. 169 Serial no. 46118" The design is essentially plain but with a mosaic design around the sound hole.

: : I am trying to get a value for it so that I can sell it.

I have the same Kimbara acoustic model no. 196 specially made in japan for FCN London, with the mosaic round the sound hole...no serial number that i can see though. it was passed down to me and i have no idea where it is from or how much it is worth, if anyone has any information that would be great

Hi

I have a Kimbara N96 Custom, bought new in Uxbridge UK in March 1974 and still in perfect condition. It is basically a copy of the world-famous Gibson J200. These guitars were imported from Japan and built to a very high standard.

I even have the original catalogue and price list covering the Kimbara range at that time. The N 169 ia described as follows: 'High gloss leo body and sides, multi-inlay to front and back edges, laminated spruce front with fan struts, beautiful mosaic-inlaid soundhole, rosewood bridge with mosaic inlay. Mahogany neck with Spanish heel in natural finish, rosewood fingerboard, nickel silver frets, handsome carved head with mosaic inlay. Gold lacquered fancy machine heads with ivorine rollers, nylon strings. Excellent tone and outstanding value.'

The price list is dated August 1973 and shows £24.50. You could try applying inflation to that, but the retail price index only dates from 1985.

Hope this helps.

Hi Abi..bit late on the scene, but could you give the details of the Kimbara Acoustic 8/Y model from the catalogue you have? I've just posted another comment, after having made a few adjustments and inadvertently striking gold, playing and sound-wise.
There's a load of Japanese writing on the inside label - I'm hoping a Japanese friend can translate when she comes back from holiday.
Greetings. John.

: Hi

: I have a Kimbara N96 Custom, bought new in Uxbridge UK in March 1974 and still in perfect condition. It is basically a copy of the world-famous Gibson J200. These guitars were imported from Japan and built to a very high standard.

: I even have the original catalogue and price list covering the Kimbara range at that time. The N 169 ia described as follows: 'High gloss leo body and sides, multi-inlay to front and back edges, laminated spruce front with fan struts, beautiful mosaic-inlaid soundhole, rosewood bridge with mosaic inlay. Mahogany neck with Spanish heel in natural finish, rosewood fingerboard, nickel silver frets, handsome carved head with mosaic inlay. Gold lacquered fancy machine heads with ivorine rollers, nylon strings. Excellent tone and outstanding value.'

: The price list is dated August 1973 and shows £24.50. You could try applying inflation to that, but the retail price index only dates from 1985.

: Hope this helps.

: : Hi

: : I have a Kimbara N96 Custom, bought new in Uxbridge UK in March 1974 and still in perfect condition. It is basically a copy of the world-famous Gibson J200. These guitars were imported from Japan and built to a very high standard.

: : I even have the original catalogue and price list covering the Kimbara range at that time. The N 169 ia described as follows: 'High gloss leo body and sides, multi-inlay to front and back edges, laminated spruce front with fan struts, beautiful mosaic-inlaid soundhole, rosewood bridge with mosaic inlay. Mahogany neck with Spanish heel in natural finish, rosewood fingerboard, nickel silver frets, handsome carved head with mosaic inlay. Gold lacquered fancy machine heads with ivorine rollers, nylon strings. Excellent tone and outstanding value.'

: : The price list is dated August 1973 and shows £24.50. You could try applying inflation to that, but the retail price index only dates from 1985.

: : Hope this helps.

Hi,
I too have a trusty Kimbara, 12 string with the V inset in lighter wood on the back.It has the usual label for FCN London made in Japan. I have owned it for about 15 years and paid about £120 if I remember. It has a mellow,warm tone and great action,for a 12. As you say you have a catalogue from yesteryear could you have a look for Model 107. I have NEVER seen or heard of another( not even on this site!) Having read the comments from other owners I will probably not sell it. What's it's worth though. Any idea?
Regards Steve

: : : : Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about kimbara
: : : : accoustic guitars just came across one, it was made in korea
: : : : and it has square shaped pearl insets on the frets,

:
: I have the same Kimbara acoustic model no. 196 specially made in japan for FCN London, with the mosaic round the sound hole...no serial number that i can see though. it was passed down to me and i have no idea where it is from or how much it is worth, if anyone has any information that would be great

Hi,try looking on e.bay for some very expensive Kimbara's,i own a 12 string acoustic, model number 180/s, serial number 80823.mine was specialy made for in japan for FCN,i wouldn't part with it for the world as it still has an original Dean Markley wooden pickup, sounds fabulous through an acoustic amp.value between £400 - £600.

Kimbara

I purchased a Kimbara 6 -stringed guitar model number N-27 specially made in Japan for London FCN
and was wondering whether anyone can help provide any information regarding makers, age and history, etc?

Hey I have a kimbara guitar which was given to me by a relation. I figure it's well over 20 years old but i kno little about this guitar or it's value. Mine reads inside: Kimbara Specially made in Japan for FCN England Model No. 8/Y. It also fits the description you gave with the pearl trimming and V-shape. I'd never sell it because they're so rare but i'd love to kno what its worth!

I've had mine since the late 70's. Cost about £60 then. I recall seeing one in a guitar shop in Oxford circa 1986 and the price was £120 or there abouts.

I have a kimbara acoustic. Black with Red around the edge & Sound hole. It reads
Kimbara
Specially Made For
FCN - England
Model No. 15/U
Made In Korea.
I wanna know what its worth.

I traded a Washburn accustic guitar red with gold trim, for this Kimbara accustic guitar model no. N-71, specially made in Japan for FCN-ENGLAND. I really would like to know what it is worth. Looks plain, but plays really well, if any one could tell me what the price of this guitar would has costed brand new, or the value of it now I would really appreciate it.

I also have acoustic kimbara I swapped for a cd walkman in 1990. It's from the 70's. I have written many songs on this guitar. It's been great. I have since bought many accoustic guitars, Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, Fenders and my Kimbara is still the best. Says "Specially MAde in Japan for FCN London. Model no.71 SN 44042." This accoustic is super plain, no frills. I have no idea what it's worth

: I aquired my Kimbara through a house clearance sale in 1989. It reads Kinbara specially made in Japan for FCN-London model no.73 60323 it is indeed a quality guitar and I too have no idea of its origin. I prefer my Martin to be honest but all my mates love it as jammin second guitar. sorry i cant be of any further help. please e-mail me if you find out more. It is as described with the mother of pearl inlay, but my fret inlays are round.

: I aquired my Kirough a house clearance sale in 1989. It reads Kinbara specially made in Japan for FCN-London model no.73 60323 it is indeed a quality guitar and I too have no idea of its origin. I prefer my Martin to be honest but all my mates love it as jammin second guitar. sorry i cant be of any further help. please e-mail me if you find out more. It is as described with the mother of pearl inlay, but my fret inlays are round.

I also have acoustic kimbara. I got mine in 1994 from one of my family. It says "Specially Made in Japan for FCN London. Model no.73" and I never go anywhere without it!

: I also have acoustic kimbara. I got mine in 1994 from one of my family. It says "Specially Made in Japan for FCN London. Model no.73" and I never go anywhere without it!

I have one for sale on ebay right now 21/11/07

kimbara

could anyone tell me the value of a Chinese made black semi-acoustic kimbara guitar 203/R.

kimbara classical

my kimbara is model no 2 g.. i paid 180 for it in the late 80,s where can i find out its value now?

Have 12 string and yes specially made in Japan for FCN England. Who were FCN ?
One of the nicest accoustic guitars I have, although the action was high until professionally sorted recently. Model no. N 107 / 70103. Inlay around perimeter and sound hole v marquetry back. Rosewood fret board with rectangular pearl inlay.
Bought around '73 in Bath UK
Kimbara still trading?
atb
Graham, Ipswich.

MODEL NO

Do you think the model no,s are important...

Hi Graham..me again. Just checked Kimbara out on Wikipedia and there's more detail there - I've got a few things not quite right. They show a picture of a 12 string, possibly the same as yours. I love 12 strings but perhaps not a good idea to have too many - I've got a Simon & Patrick Cedar 12 and a Taylor 355, both good but very different sound. John

Hi Graham..weren't expecting an swift reply to your posting, were you?!! FCN Music distributed Japanese guitars in the UK from late 1960's to 1990 - acoustics at first, then also solid-bodied guitars from the 1970's. All based on classic American designs apparently. In 1995 FCN started up again, importing Chinese-built classical and dreadnought guitars. Not sure what FCN stands for.
One of the submissees(?) said his was Korean made, but they all came from Japan, and as such, were very well made and meticulously crafted. They economised by using laminates but even so, there are some very nice sounding,and looking,guitars out there. Worth holding onto, I reckon.
Greetings. John

I have a Kimbara acoustic which is an exact copy of the Gibson Humming Bird. I purchased it around 1970 (incidentally it's a great sound)I would be very interested if anyone can give me any info or a valuation.

I bought a similar one about 15 years ago for about £150. Model number N 98. Done a bit of digging around and FCN distributed low to mid-range guitars in the 70's and 80's. Doubt if you'll get much more for it now. I keep meaning to buy a new guitar but I just can't let this one go. It's a well crafted Hummingbird copy with a deep rich sound that new guitars in that price range fail to match. In fact, there are many more expensive guitars that come nowhere near the sound quality. Reckon mine is about early 70's.

i had a kimbara for christmas in1982. hand crafted in japan for f.n.c. model no. 57/u serial no. 80903.cost about £80 still plays great .don't know her value but she's priceless to me.

hi ive got a kimbara acoustic from around the same era,im trying to find out more about it,has yours got square inlays with green coloured triangles in them......rosewood or mahogany dark fretboard.

hi ive got a kimbara acoustic from around the same era,im trying to find out more about it,has yours got square inlays with green coloured triangles in them......rosewood or mahogany dark fretboard.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.