Re: Ibanez roadster bass (RB800)

Advertisement
Posted by Kenyon Jentz on Wed, 08/05/09 - 22:47:12.

Yeah, this bass is awesome. Bought mine in 87 in san antonio, tx. played it for about 4 years and put it away. Today just opened it back up. Shiny black beauty! Still sounds great even after storage of 17 years....
Kenyon Jentz

: I bought my 1981 Japanese Ibanez Roadstar RB800 4-string Bass brand new in NYC in 1981! It was a truly horrific Fire Engine Red with tiny metallic flakey sparkles when i got it. 26 years later, and its dulled down to a pretty cool looking deeper red. She's got "Ibanez RB800. The Ultimate Expression Of Craftsmanship" along the body, just above the neck. (Bolt-On Neck, Arrow shaped Headstock) She also has the Fender type PUps and all-active system. The neck is really skinny for a bass, even narrower than my Fender Jazz Bass. I LOVE this bass. I've used her constantly for almost 26 years now!
: In session it's sound just outclasses Fenders, Ricky's and even a couple of Alembic's I've used. I've had clients request a "Grunting Precision Bass sound..." in a session, and after about 3 mins on an Ashdown 4x10 tube combo, and 5 mins on my Ibanez, I had the producer saying "Thats the fattest grunt i've ever heard..." (He's obviously never met my mum!) I went through the entire 80's with her doing "Slap Bass" sessions, Jazz sessions, Rock, Blues etc etc. BUT... My Ibanez RB800 truly excells in the "Funk Bass" dept. The action on her 2 octave superscale neck is **** ing amazing.
: It's never fretted out or choked. The Frets did actually turn green though!!! Against the dark Rosewood board and the deep red neck, it looked sort of cool, but even on a new set of strings she was starting to sound a bit tired. I got her refretted in Boston (94) and the guy who did the job said that she had the wildest feel he's ever played. With a set of Med long scale strings, the action at the 12th fret is just slightly higher than my 75 Gibson LP Standard! In 26 years, she's been pro setup only TWICE and refretted ONCE! She's so well setup, that if i want to, i can actually play just a little more behind the frets, and give her a Ricky or PBass "Grunt" or do lead lines on her.
: After 26 years, my only gripes about her is 1: THAT colour!
: 2: When the 9volt battery runs out, things get ugly. All of a sudden it's fizz, fizz, fart......nothing! So i always keep a spare few 9volt batts in the original Ibanez RB800 Case (built like a tank!)
: Not too bad a list of gripes really i think. I cant say enough about my RB800. It can also do Dub Reggae effortlessly too... I'm going into the studio today, where i'm producing and playing guitar/bass on a truly amazing Singer/Songwriters debut album. I'll take her out of her case, look at her and go "Uuuuugh what the **** was i thinking about with this colour!" plug her in and put down 10 hours worth of excellent sounding bass tracks.
: Cant say anymore about her.
: I would never think of selling her, but am looking for another one (NOT RED!) I'd love to know what the wood is under the paint. If i do ever see another one for sale, i'd buy it, and get my Red RB800 stripped and Nitro'd natural.
: Big Al
: Audio Slave
: The Sonic Kitchen Studio

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

decal

Hi,
I don't know where to ask this, so I'm asking here.
Do you know where a replacement "Ibanez RB800. The Ultimate Expression Of Craftsmanship" decal can be found?
Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Ibanez roadster bass (RB800)

Ibanez roadster bass (RB800)

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Ibanez roadster bass (RB800)

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.