Alvarez DY85A

Posted by Bob Davis on Mon, 05/01/06 - 19:20:59.

Hello can anyone tell me what the A stands for on my DY85A Thanks Bob

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Alvarez DY85A

: Hello can anyone tell me what the A stands for on my DY85A Thanks Bob

It stands for Abalone (meaning having a lot of inlay).

Re: Alvarez DY85 1993

: Hello can anyone tell me what the A stands for on my DY85 from 1993 Thanks alcho

: : Hello can anyone tell me what the A stands for on my DY85 from 1993 Thanks alcho

From my research and interaction with Alvarez support on this subject.. the DY85A was not the same model as the original DY85'S (Those from the 1970's or later 80's) unlike the prior models, it had mahogany back and sides.. thus the "A" stands for Alternate.

It stands for Abalone. I believe.

: : Hello can anyone tell me what the A stands for on my DY85 from 1993 Thanks alcho

Bob- used to own a 1982 Alvarez Yairi Dy-85A. The "A" stands for abalone which is what is used in the heavy fretboard & rosette decorations. John B.

: : Hello can anyone tell me what the A stands for on my DY85A Thanks Bob

: Bob- used to own a 1982 Alvarez Yairi Dy-85A. The "A" stands for abalone which is what is used in the heavy fretboard & rosette decorations. John B.

The Alvarez Yairi DY 85A is actually the newer version of the 1970's DY-85 They both had the same amount of abalone so the "A" does not mean abalone..The 1970's version was a "Lawsuit" model that was a dead ringer of a Martin D41 not a D45 as some people think..Also the headstock on the D-85-A is like the new Yairi's not exactly like the Martin copy they made in the 1970's that headstock was like the Martin D-41 or standard Martin headstock...Hence the "Lawsuit" model...

DY85A

The A is for alternate......called "New Standard Abalone" vs the "Standard Abalone".....as this model was produced only one year, 1982, alongside the regular DY85. The differences are spelled out in Yairi's catalog which you can find on the internet (http://alvarezyairi.web.fc2.com/cat1981/p8.html & http://alvarezyairi.web.fc2.com/cat1983/p4.html) , but primarily consist of ribbed mahogany sides & 2 piece hog back vs burled mahogany sides & hog/rosewood combo 3 piece back, plus diamond shaped abalone fret markers vs the larger round ones.

alvarez dy85A

thanks doug for that catalog info its now obsolete but you can find the price lists which was interesting "new standard abalone" must be copy abalone i guess as theres a price difference of $145 difference between the DY85 and DY85A in the 1983 price list this was a lot of money then i was wondering if there were any other differences to make the price difference ....im currently looking at a DY85A but now it looks like a cheaper version than i thought its on e-bay for $675 BIN have a look if your still around i would need to get it imported to u.k. also

Do you have the serial #? It can tell more, great sounding instrument isn't it...

: : Hello can anyone tell me what the A stands for on my DY85A Thanks Bob

: Do you have the serial #? It can tell more, great sounding instrument isn't it...

serial no. 54325 thanks for yor help!! Bob Yes I love this one had to have the top crack fixed but now great!!! Thanks Again

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.