Musima - german classical guitar

Posted by Laura Novo on Sun, 08/20/06 - 11:22:31.

I am doing some research on this type of guitar. I've gone on the internet but don't seem to get much info. Have called several places in New York to see if I can appraise it.

Would you possibly have any info. on this type of guitar? Would it be considered a beginner's piece?

Thank you.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Musima Guitars

Musima was one of the largest providers of stringed instruments to the former soviet union. The 200,000 sq ft factory (very large) was in the former eastern part of Germany. After the fall of USSR, a US importer of student grade instruments took them on as a supplier - JM Music Supply. They marketed them in the USA under the Calvin Cramer (CC) and NASH brands. The company made upright basses, cellos, violins etc. as well. I put together a fund to purchase Musima from the Treuhand in the late 90s. We were successful to a point. I represented them as interim President at the '97 NAMM show. Renowned Philly-based luthier John Zeidler was to be the head of design and production. In the end, we couldn't justify going through with the purchase due to entrenched corruption. We backed out and the company was sold off for its land. It's a shame because there were some very skilled workers there. This was the town that CF Martin's ancestors came from. The town has a long history of musical instrument making. A gem in the black forest. I remember my trips there fondly.

DB

musima guitar

Hi just purchased a lovely little classical guitar made by musima. Anyone know its true value? Thanks matt

Re: Musima - german classical guitar

I just got one. Its a nylon string hollowbody guitar. Its in terrible shape, looks like its been through WW2!!
The sticker inside reads:
Around the border of the circle "Veb Musikinstrumentenbau Markneukirchen"
Middle of the circle there is an "m" underneath which it says "musima"
Underneath that it says "Made in German Demokratic Republic"

I know nothing about this guitar. Please share any information that you might know.

Cheers

Eraj

Hi Eraj,
I have exactly the same thing. I think mine probably did go through WW2! I've had to glue bits back together, but a friend did learn classical guitar on it. It's fun, but sadly I know nothing about it either. Good luck.

i have the Musima Classica guitar from '81 i think. It's a very good guitar, but when it's that old i have some problems with tuning. contact me for some pictures

I have Musima classical guitar model Euro Classic 250. It was from year '92 and it was bought new in value of 300€.

I play on it today, and it's great value for money! In music school im my city, there is number of Musima guitars, more or less worth ones

: I have Musima classical guitar model Euro Classic 250. It was from year '92 and it was bought new in value of 300€.

: I play on it today, and it's great value for money! In music school im my city, there is number of Musima guitars, more or less worth ones

Ich habe auch model 250, es ist sehr gut.

i have the Musima Classica guitar from '81 i think. It's a very good guitar, but when it's that old i have some problems with tuning. contact me for some pictures

I am the proud owner of a MUSIMA nylon strung classical guitar. It is over 40 years old and was built in the old German Democratic Republic. I bought it from a music shop in Dartford around 1967. I had been saving sixpences in a whiskey bottle to buy the instrument I had seen in the shop window for many weeks. £13.00 10shillings or there about in old money.

: I am doing some research on this type of guitar. I've gone on the internet but don't seem to get much info. Have called several places in New York to see if I can appraise it.

: Would you possibly have any info. on this type of guitar? Would it be considered a beginner's piece?

: Thank you.

musima guitar

I have one such guitar which I want to sell. I live in Denmark but will be leaving for Spain soon. If you are interested, you could write to me.

guitar

i have a musima classical guitar it is really cool and a awsome guitar , it was for my grand parents now its mine im playing on it for about 5 years great job musima

: I am the proud owner of a MUSIMA nylon strung classical guitar. It is over 40 years old and was built in the old German Democratic Republic. I bought it from a music shop in Dartford around 1967. I had been saving sixpences in a whiskey bottle to buy the instrument I had seen in the shop window for many weeks. £13.00 10shillings or there about in old money.

: : I am doing some research on this type of guitar. I've gone on the internet but don't seem to get much info. Have called several places in New York to see if I can appraise it.

: : Would you possibly have any info. on this type of guitar? Would it be considered a beginner's piece?

: : Thank you.

: Reply Marty Martensen to info
show details Nov 29

I am looking for some information on a "NASH" acoustic guitar. The label inside says it was made by the MUSIMA Co. in Germany. It is in pristine condition and with my limited knowledge of guitars I believe it to be a high quality instrument. It appears to be Model MW65. The Serial # is 95 No. 11927. I don't know if the 95 indicates the year it was made or what. Can you give me any information as to the quality or value of this guitar. I have some pictures that I will send along with this e-mail.
4 attachments — Download all attachments View all images
100_0251.jpg
976K View Download
100_0252.jpg
993K View Download
100_0250.jpg
1125K View Download
100_0253.jpg
903K View Download

I use to work for JR Music Supply, and i can tell you that Musima built these classical guitars in late 1999, early 2000/ They were sold under the Calvin Cramer name. The letter's CC were on the head stock. They sold 3 models. Two were laminate and the other was made of Ash. The tag on the inside read Musima, and had a unique serial number. They sold for $100 back then.

I just got a MUSIMA "Nashville "Made in Germany" serial number 95 No 11831, with a handwritten "nw61" written by the serial number.

It is a steel string acoustic narrow neck guitar. Seems very well made. The strings are VERY old and it is hard to tell about the sound. Any information anyone might have? "Made in Germany" means after the Wall came down in 1989.

: I am the proud owner of a MUSIMA nylon strung classical guitar. It is over 40 years old and was built in the old German Democratic Republic. I bought it from a music shop in Dartford around 1967. I had been saving sixpences in a whiskey bottle to buy the instrument I had seen in the shop window for many weeks. �13.00 10shillings or there about in old money.

: : I am doing some research on this type of guitar. I've gone on the internet but don't seem to get much info. Have called several places in New York to see if I can appraise it.

: : Would you possibly have any info. on this type of guitar? Would it be considered a beginner's piece?

: : Thank you.

They were typically aimed at the budget market and predominantly made of laminated timber. Like many things from countries behind the old "iron curtain", they had an agricultural feel to them and seemed to have been designed by a commitee.

Cheap materials used throughout. You would never see a Musima with rosewood back and sides or an ebony fingerboard- prerequisites of good quality classical guitars. They made some better quality instruments after 1989 with solid pine tops but they were up against budget models from Japanese makers such as Yamaha and Suzuki and Spanish manufacturers such as Admira and Alhambra.

: : I am the proud owner of a MUSIMA nylon strung classical guitar. It is over 40 years old and was built in the old German Democratic Republic. I bought it from a music shop in Dartford around 1967. I had been saving sixpences in a whiskey bottle to buy the instrument I had seen in the shop window for many weeks. �13.00 10shillings or there about in old money.

: : : I am doing some research on this type of guitar. I've gone on the internet but don't seem to get much info. Have called several places in New York to see if I can appraise it.

: : : Would you possibly have any info. on this type of guitar? Would it be considered a beginner's piece?

: : : Thank you.

:
: They were typically aimed at the budget market and predominantly made of laminated timber. Like many things from countries behind the old "iron curtain", they had an agricultural feel to them and seemed to have been designed by a commitee.

: Cheap materials used throughout. You would never see a Musima with rosewood back and sides or an ebony fingerboard- prerequisites of good quality classical guitars. They made some better quality instruments after 1989 with solid pine tops but they were up against budget models from Japanese makers such as Yamaha and Suzuki and Spanish manufacturers such as Admira and Alhambra.

Still, they put up a good fight for quite some time before finally folding a few years after the millenium - I'm not sure exactly.

Alan Thomas

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.