Re: GIBSON NOUVEAU

Posted by Aaron on Tue, 03/12/02 - 01:48:55.

I used to own a Gibson nouveau 12 string. I was moving from Idaho to Washington and needed a vehicle to haul my belongings. So I traded my gibson straight across for a dodge van. The van has been very good to me. But back to the guitar. I wish I still had it. About a year ago I went to a Gibson workshop. Chuck Yamek a very well known guitar player was there along with the luthier who was in charge of setup of Gibson's factory in Montana. I got to talk with the luthier ( I wish I could remember his name). He told me that the NOUVEAU was built for one year I think around the mid seventies (not possitive). And he said it is one of the sought after guitars. There weren't many made. My advice is hang on to it if you like it. Because I got rid of mine and as of yet haven't found another guitar that even compares to it. I hope this helps you out some. You might give the Gibson guitar factory in Montana a call or email and see if they have something on it. I've been to the libraries and looked in every guitar reference and history book I could find and haven't yet seen another. And the person whom I traded mine to moved and I have no idea where to. But if I knew I'd sure try to get it back.
: : : IAM TRYING TO FIND OUT ANY INFORMATION ABOUT MY GIBSON NOUVEAU GUITAR. I CAN NOT SEEM TO FIND ANY INFORMATION SO FAR,WHERE CAN I FIND OUT ABOUT THIS GUITAR.

: I own a Gibson Nouveau, model NV-6. I bought it around 1993, I think, for around $500, and never saw its like again. Luthiers have told me that it was a Japanese made model that was only in circulation for a short time and was more commonly found in the northern part of the U.S. (I'm from Texas.)
: I would like to know more about mine, as well. I love its tone and prefer it above many much more expensive guitars that I have played. I fingerpick a lot, and it has an ideal woody depth that I like.
: It has the word Nouveau written across the top of the headstock in art nouveau type lettering and Gibson is printed downward inside an inlaid diamond shape, instead of the more familiar Gibson logo. The traditional logo, however, is printed on the sticker inside the instrument, so I'm pretty sure it's a real Gibson.
: Good luck on finding out more information, and tell me what you learn.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I have the NVJ-N, which is the archtop. I contacted Gibson service dept and they sent me a scan of the original spec sheet. The archtops were made in 97 only. The first 8 months ran with 'Nouveau by Gibson' on the headstock; the last four ran under "Epiphone." I own the Epiphone version. It is EXTREMELY difficult to find *any* information in the archtop or others.

I have one that says "Gibson/Epiphone that I got back in the late 80's. It does not say "Nouveau" anywhere on it. Great playing guitar. Sounds wonderful thru my 60 Princeton. Use flatwounds. Much better that round wounders.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.