Re: Ventura Guitar

Posted by jsaturn on Thu, 01/09/03 - 12:16:42.

I own the Ventura Country Gentlemen copy. I replaced the bridge pickups with some old Gibson pickups and the thing SCREAMS! It has so many good tones and looks and plays well that I could never see myself getting rid of it. The action is low as others have stated but it's surprisingly comfortable to play. Vey well built for an Asian guitar. Here's some useful info about Ventura guitars:

Instruments previously produced in Japan circa 1970s.

Ventura guitars were distributed in the U.S. market by C. Bruno & Company of New York, New York. Ventura models were both full body and thinline hollow body electric archtop guitars, and generally medium to good quality versions of popular American models.
During the 1970s, a Barney Kessel Custom-style copy (the model is a V-1400, by the way) had a suggested retail price of $199.50. If one of these guitars gets sold at a big guitar show for $200 to $250, does this mean that the guitar has appreciated in value or the retail price of today´s Korean semi-hollow body guitars has risen over the past twenty five years? Traditionally, there is a ceiling to how high a price can raise on imported laminate wood semi-hollow body guitars - but who can put a price tag on that intangible "funkiness" factor?

(Source: Michael Wright, Guitar Stories Volume One; and Sam Maggio)

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.