Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - June, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: LSR Roller Nut

You're supposed to remove wood from the fretted-side of the fretboard to install a roller nut. While living in San Francisco, CA, in 1996, I read in Guitar Player magazine that the Buzz Feiten Tuning System's modification is just the positioning of the nut one-sixteenth of an inch closer to the first fret. If I were you, I'd do some research on this and look at possibly removing that extra 1/16" of fretboard as well as what is needed to be removed to install the nut. If you are going to do the Buzz Feiten Tuning System modification, you're going to have to use putty or a shim to fill that extra space behind the nut.

Re: The Real Scoop

Here's how to install the LSR. It takes about four hours. Take off all the strings. (I just finished installing one on an Amrican Double Fat Strat with little difficulty.) The LSR kit has two options; upgrade from a Wilkinson Roller nut or start from scratch. First obtain a picture of a Wilkinson Roller Nut (the unit is better than the LSR because it's an enclosed unit. Even though it's a little larger. The LSR is fully open and smaller.) Use a rectangular rasp that offers four kinds of roughnesses: arched course and fine on one side, and flat course and fine on the other side. Here's the easiest way; upgrading to the LSR from a Wilkinson Roller Nut. Using the flat fine side of the rasp, keeping level motions, slowly file down the wood across the neck (on the peg side) behind the old nut until you reach the depth of the bottom of the old nut, keeping level motions. When finished look down the neck toward the bridge and you'll be able to see the old nut entirely and it's depth; tap the old nut toward the head stock to pop it out. Now you'll file and remove wood from the fret side exactly where the olde nut used to be. Measure one notch over 1/16 (you're bringing the new nut closer to the first fret. So measure and draw a fine line one notch over 1/16th of an inch latterally across the fretboard just below the position of where the old the old nut used to be. Measure the line on the left and right sides of the fretboard using the corners of the first fret as reference points. Both sides should be equal. This next part is tricky. Take the fine flat side of the rasp and position it on it's side where the old nut existed. Now you're going to file down the wood towards the first fret to the line across the fretboard. You have to file perfectly in a straight line because this is where the LSR nut is going to sit flush against the fretboard. Now look at the neck from the side. You should have an "L" shaped cut out of the neck. Position the roller nut and restring only the E strings. Center the LSR and insert the screws and tap them to make pilot holes for the drill bit. Unstring the guitar and drill the holes needed for the screws. Replace the LSR and tighten the screws. If it isn't flush, use tooth picks to fill in the old holes and drill new ones. Now fasten the LSR to the fret board. It's ugle with all the wood missing. With the black plastic wood cover included with the kit, use a razor blade the remove whatever amount of platic needed to make it fit behind the LSR. Remember, the Wilkinson Roller Nut was this large. The LSR is only a fraction of the size of the Wlkinson Roller Nut. Super glue the black plastic wood cover to the exposed wood and Tah-Dah. You're in business. Call Dan at 703.237.0698 for help.

1960 Les Paul Special

I recently inherited this guitar, it is a solid body double
cut red mahogony solid body, I see that gibson has brought
it back as a re-issue. This guitar is in very good condition
I have already had an expert tell me it was a "66" junior
worth about 800.00(Can), however I remembered stumming it
in "65" and checked the serial no. It has this great solid
case(with Gibson tag). I believe this is a special guitar
(sounds great), any helpful advice?, thanx alot,ab gamble.

Re: 1960 Les Paul Special

: I recently inherited this guitar, it is a solid body double
: cut red mahogony solid body, I see that gibson has brought
: it back as a re-issue. This guitar is in very good condition
: I have already had an expert tell me it was a "66" junior
: worth about 800.00(Can), however I remembered stumming it
: in "65" and checked the serial no. It is a Les Paul Special, It has this great solid
: case(with Gibson tag). I believe this is a special guitar
: (sounds great), any helpful advice?, thanx alot,ab gamble.
P.S. the serial no. is - 0 8482, this no. is inked on.

: : I recently inherited this guitar, it is a solid body double
: : cut red mahogony solid body, I see that gibson has brought
: : it back as a re-issue. This guitar is in very good condition
: : I have already had an expert tell me it was a "66" junior
: : worth about 800.00(Can), however I remembered stumming it
: : in "65" and checked the serial no. It is a Les Paul Special, It has this great solid
: : case(with Gibson tag). I believe this is a special guitar
: : (sounds great), any helpful advice?, thanx alot,ab gamble.
: P.S. the serial no. is - 0 8482, this no. is inked on.

You should go to the gibson web site to use the serial no. to date it then you should asses what model it is based on a book and not some one a guitar shop. They are frequently wrong. If you have pictures, send them to me and I can help.

I have had an oddball Les Paul Special, Cherry, Double cutaway, Possibly one of the first made, gibon states possibly prototype.
Switch is above vol/tone controls. not forward below bridge. What a bitch to reach, but have had it since 8th grade.
Sorry to say it has been refinished,, as a matter of fact, I just buffed it out. It will never be sold, she's my baby....
Pictures available upon request. It may not be completely original, but it's mine.... if you have ever seen one with switch in this position,,, PLEASE email me

: I recently inherited this guitar, it is a solid body double
: cut red mahogony solid body, I see that gibson has brought
: it back as a re-issue. This guitar is in very good condition
: I have already had an expert tell me it was a "66" junior
: worth about 800.00(Can), however I remembered stumming it
: in "65" and checked the serial no. It has this great solid
: case(with Gibson tag). I believe this is a special guitar
: (sounds great), any helpful advice?, thanx alot,ab gamble.

: Do you play guitar?? Sell it to me. email me,thanx,Ed

I NEED APPLES

I NEED APPLES! APPLES APPLES APPLES ME LAD! I LOVE THE APPLES! AYE!

Van Halen VS Angus Young

No contest. Angus is a overated shit guitarist.

Re: Van Halen VS Angus Young

: No contest. Angus is a overated shit guitarist.

Duh !

Sorry but Eddie could run rings around Angus, skill wise but Angus has the edge on showmanship!! And Angus does know how to straight up groove.

: : No contest. Angus is a overated shit guitarist.

: Duh !

: Both of them are good. but eddie is just better.

angus should win

Van Halen sucks and had too many corporate albums and did songs that fit the popular
style at the time. Angus hasn't changed and still rocks the amps. Eddie sucks. Bottom Line.

Van Halen worries too much about showing off. Angus is a more tasteful player on the albums, and he puts on a better show live too. AC/DC kicks Van Halen's ass as a whole, and while Angus may not have the chops of Van Halen, Angus is a better player.

: No contest. Angus is a overated shit guitarist.

You need to watch their live concert from right before Bon died. You're fucking STUPID man! Rock n Roll is Rock n Roll, and Angus kicks Rock n Roll ASShole!

PS: You're just a jealous bitchboy because he's SOMEBODY and you're NOTHING! That's what I think!

Need some help

Dear sirs,
We are looking for the Chineese factory where they make the electric Legend
guitars.
This are cheap electric guitars that we want to buy for decoration.
We really tried everything to find there address.
And now we hope you can help us out.

Warmest regards
Janet

Hohner HG 310

I just picked up one of these, and I need some info on it. It seems like a really well made guitar. This one is stamped 2/79, so I assume it's a Feb. 1979 manufacture? It's also stamped Made in Japan. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
papakirk

Finger Pick nail problems

I use a finger pick technique that uses both sides of the natural fingernails of my right hand. Because the nails are not very heavy, I occasionally break, tear or somehow screw up a nail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The How Too's &The Whom Too's,Sale-Correctly of The MusicPlayer'sNetworks:Winter Namm 2000 Kirk Hamm

Hello,my wife Susan wanted me to ask,since we never-ever "Dreamed" of Selling this 1 of a Kind,instrument that there were over 7 million Eligible Entries to win this Highly Addvertized Kirk Hammett Signature Series Hand Autographed as well hand painted MusicPlayersNetworkInternet.Com Logo on face side.That was from what we have gathered and Certified,as a U.S.A.-E.S.P. CUSTOM SHOPPE MADE Kirk Hammett SS II W/Original Floyd Rose 2 EMG-81's,The Skull & Cross Bones Mother of Pearl Inlayed Neck w/Deluxe E.M.G.Road Case,also bearing Music Players Network Internet.Com's Logo's (in Sticker Form) on front and backside as well 1-EMG Logo,also in Sticker form,also with ESP's Lazored Emblem on Case too!We've purchased a Case Humidifier to keep it correctly humidified.As well have it in a Safety Deposite Drawer @ local Bank (which our Luthier states as well does G.P. article,that its best to lay Flat when not Playing instrument for long periods of time.IE:Storage.Since this is a one of a kind,and it came with a History being the industry's largest Multi-Media Buy-Out of Miller Freeman & Assoc's.Inc-Co.'s New Owner's Addvertizing Tool.We've been told that this was one of Kirk Hammetts many own Personal Instruments that never got played,& was donated to the new owners of G.P.and also in the Oct.2000 or 2001 (I'll have to check at bank)issue,there's an article regarding Kirk Hammetts main-stay axe,with pick-up hieghts & tilts by degrees,and ours matches exactly and identically to G.P.'s article.It's made here in the U.S.A. by the ESP CUSTOM SHOPPE,AND IS NOT LIKE THE ONES SOLD IN MUSICIANS FRIENDS ECTRA.THIS ONE HAS SOLICE POINTS OF HISTORIC VALUE.So with an all these immentities and open warentee as well the storys been mentioned to us that Kirk Played the Instrument live at the 2000 L.A.NAMM Show either 3 times a day for 3 days or just 3 times,once a day for 3 days,were not sure.And does this even matter? All I know is it came with the middle spring rolling around in the spacious cases tool & Strap box,and had a Hip Shot middle Spring installed,as does the one in The G.P.oct.issue with BB King on the front cover.We've e-mailed both The Brokerage house that handled the selection and locating of the drawing as well as various musicplayer.com writters asking for history regarding it's history.With no response.So what do we have here? We have a Certificate that's hand signed and a Electronic's covered hand signed by Kirk Hammett in indullable ink.We've Played the instrument once each and then cleaned it all up and made sure that the luthier checked all Kirks Spec's against this KILLER INSTRUMENT~! Wow!It sounds almost as good as my $5000.00 Custom Build Jagmin K-1 "Proto-Type" which compares with Builders like Warrior Instruments Dran Michelle grade neck thru instruments.That sell from $5500.00 on up to $20k/any way,how do we go about getting a Proper appraisel as well sell it to the highest bidder with out loosing our shorts? Anyone with any answers? Since I've been an on and off professional Musician on many levels,Genres,& Types over the years.I would have to say like anything else in life its what one is willing to pay for and settle with.Now,All I know is that if this is truely one made for mr.hammett and was donated after signing and preforeming on it at the Winter Namm 2000.That this should be truely considered as one of his instruments.Thus making this One of a Kind Truely RARE & UNIQUE!In mint condition maybe 15 minutes playing time on it from my wife and I combined.As I stated above.Then Cased.Were Adults with Grand Children as well Christians.So we don't lie,nor do we really want to own it any more unless at a latter date,it would be worth alot more in the future.So can some one help us out here? Thanks and remember be honest,there's nothing worse than a Musician that Lies to benefit themselves.Like on the "Antique's Rd.Show" a woman has her daddys Jazz Box,that's custom made,in exotic tone woods,in MINT+ condition,was not a fake,the appraiser played it,and even over PBS station you could here the even order harmonic's resonate like Gods Angels Singing in Unison.The Music Store,appraised it as being worth $1800.00's Hand Signed inside by Di somebody,the same company that makes the New Yorker,as it's appraisal Value was $35 to $50,000.00's at auction.Not cool.So only Legit replys please.Thank-You! Cordially in Christs Light we live,Ken & Susan Gordon

guitar chords

can someone give me URL for BIG list of songs with chords for guitar please, i've been on olga.net but there the song text is't complete. e-mail me please. thanx

Looking to start a band! Need a guitarist . . . .

Looking for an Accoustic, steel stirng/classical guitar player, Bassist, and drummer/percussionsist!

Starting a band that will play the gammit: folk, rock, accoustic soul, jazz, ballads, even go-go and a bit of reggae if the players are willing.

I am a cellist from Atlanta. I have been playing the singer songwriter scene there for about 3-4 years. I have played with some good folk and am looking to find more good folk in DC.

email if interested
okorskin@aol.com

looking for a drummer that is just starting playing

looking for a drummer that is just starting playing

.well u know im just starting to play guitar and thats why i need a drummer that is just starting i dont play none of that country i would like to play rock thats all oh yeah im 13 years old

Re: Looking to start a band! Need a guitarist . . . .

: Looking for guitar player,
: Starting a band that will play punk/rock/pop music
: must be between the ages of 13-17, must live in new york. if you are this person email me at sweetnes311@yahoo.com peace.

musicians interested in folk rock

i'm mid twenties singer/songwriter enjoy listening to and playing rock (e.g Bush, Live, REM, etc) and folk (e.g Fairport), any one in Portsmouth area interested please drop me a mail.

guitarist/song writer/ bass player /panio player/all around muscian looking for peopleto play with

:play most every thing but prefer original
:just moved 15,000 miles away from old band and need a new
:live in las vegas, nv looking for any thing
:am most simmalar to alice in chains god smack and influence from catch 22, green day and such like
:BAD_MAMMA_JAMMA_1@HOTMAIL.COM

Best Solid State 2X12 amp?

Anyone have a strong opinion on the best solid state 2X12 (100+ total) amp out there? I need something reliable,not too heavy for transport. Mostly pop and rock.

Re: Best Solid State 2X12 amp?

I have a Line 6 Flextone II-XL and like it alot, with the floorboard it's all I really need, but even though I've had no problems (have 3 Line 6 amps, and they have all been 'thrown about') I've heard alot of horror stories about Line 6 products.

: Anyone have a strong opinion on the best solid state 2X12 (100+ total) amp out there? I need something reliable,not too heavy for transport. Mostly pop and rock.

: Anyone have a strong opinion on the best solid state 2X12 (100+ total) amp out there? I need something reliable,not too heavy for transport. Mostly pop and rock.

check out Carvin solidly built reliable easy to operate inexpensive may not have all the bells and whistles but good quality for the money good rep American company should be perfect for type of music you play

I would go with a CRATE. I know most tube guys rag on them but I believe it's because most of them have never played or owned one. The things sound EXACTLY like a tube only better. You can pick up the XT120R(120 watts RMS) for $350 from MusiciansFriend w/free shipping over the internet. They are unbelievably loud, much louder than tube amps of the same wattage. Have the tube "feel" and sound depth or fatness everyone desires. The clean channels are UNBELIEVABLE! Equal to most tube amps. You won't find a better S.S. amp. You get tube sound and performance with S.S. power and price. I in all likelyness will own a tube amp someday but I'm more inclined to buy another CRATE before I do so. The gain channels are amazing. Blues, rock, heavy metal, jazz, country, industrial, alternative you name it! It can do it and do it VERY well. Very impressive amps.

I would strongly recommend staying away from the Line 6's and other such modeling amps. Digital sounds like crap even if not initially, over time you would see.(pretty sure the same company that owns crate owns line 6)

I used to think CRATE was shit until I owned a couple of their amps. They sound very Fendery and a lot like a Marshall on steroids. They sound similar to the Fender Hot Rod Devilles and as far as Marshall goes they sound similar in the gain channels only better. ALL WITHOUT TUBES. Another good comparison of their sound is to CRATES own Blue Voodoo's which are all tube. Whatever you go with know CRATE has the best S.S. amps around. I have heard the new Behringers are very nice and they also now make a 2x12 model around 100 watts. They use analog circuitry for their amp modeling in most their amps so no digital garbage to ruin your sound.

On top of all this Crate has a 5 year transferable warranty and I have in fact had my head serviced by them after there was an electrical explosion and a power cord hit the guitar cable connected to it frying it.

marshall amp advice

i want to buy a marshall amp. There are 4 options vs100r, vs 230r, v232r and vs65r. i mostly play metal and blues i know marshalls have good distortion. can i get a great blues sound from any of these marshalls with the help of a pedal???

Re: marshall amp advice

The Marshall MF350 head produces several distortion effects and it also hasone of the best blues sounds that i have ever heard. you can controll all of these effects from a footswitch. The MF350 is basicly 2 amps in one.

amps

having trouble picking a tube amp need to know which is beter all round a peavey classic 50 or the fender hot rod deville 4-10s in each?

Re: amps

: having trouble picking a tube amp need to know which is beter all round a peavey classic 50 or the fender hot rod deville 4-10s in each?

: Get the cheapest, change all the tubes to NOS.

good advice below....I second the motion :)

: : Get the cheapest, change all the tubes to NOS.

: having trouble picking a tube amp need to know which is beter all round a peavey classic 50 or the fender hot rod deville 4-10s in each?

You should go by sound of the amp, changing the tubes helps alot but it won't bring s*&t to life. Both are good sounding amps. Neither is excellent unless you find the right one. Do not buy the cheapest amp unless you listen to it and it sounds better or the amp will sound like the cheapest amp. NOS tubes are cool but the speaker and you will have more to do with the sound of the amp than the tubes.

I want to make my horn sound like a guitar

There is this goal I want to that will satisfy only myself. I am eventually turning it into a project for school. But for now, I just want to experiment with it. Basically what I want to do, since I am very guitar-illiterate, i want to play a jimi hendrix tune, preferably Voodoo Chile or something to that effect. I have an idea of what i need to do. What I have heard, is that I can attach a mic or somethign to my horn then put a pedal on that with an amplifier. Is it that easy? I want to know exactyl what I should do. Because I really want to do this, and if all goes well I will actually get to perform this. I would appreciate any help. Any places I can go, or what equipment should i get, and how much will it cost? Thank you tremendously whoever helps me.

Re: I want to make my horn sound like a guitar

If you use a pedal with an acoustic instrument you'll just end up getting large amounts of feedback. You don't say what kind of horn you're playing. You could probably get by without any effect at all if you play the saxophone, a trumpet would probably require more work on the arrangement.

: There is this goal I want to that will satisfy only myself. I am eventually turning it into a project for school. But for now, I just want to experiment with it. Basically what I want to do, since I am very guitar-illiterate, i want to play a jimi hendrix tune, preferably Voodoo Chile or something to that effect. I have an idea of what i need to do. What I have heard, is that I can attach a mic or somethign to my horn then put a pedal on that with an amplifier. Is it that easy? I want to know exactyl what I should do. Because I really want to do this, and if all goes well I will actually get to perform this. I would appreciate any help. Any places I can go, or what equipment should i get, and how much will it cost? Thank you tremendously whoever helps me.

Drop-(D)

How do you tune down one hole step Drop-(D)Like Sad But True From Metallica and other songs?

Re: Drop-(D)

Very easy. Tune the 6th string (low E)down one whole step to "D", and that is it. So, the tuning will be D,A,D,G,B,E (low to high.

Anyone here own a Mesa Rocket 44?

Anyone here own a Mesa Rocket 44?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Anyone here own a Mesa Rocket 44?

empro accoustic guitar....

A friend of mine has an empro em-23 6 string and was wondering if it was worth refurbishing or leaving it trashed. A price list would be nice for comparison..
thanks chris

Re: empro accoustic guitar....

I also have an Empro accoustic guitar model # E12 that I know nothing about, so if anyone has a price list or knows anything about it please let me know. Thanks

Empro Model E12

I also have an Empro Acustic Model E12 and i have been searching for information on it all day and cant seem to find any, if you do get answers, pleasae email me! thanks :)

JAMES MULLER

ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A CD COPY OR TAPED COPY OF JAMES MULLER'S FIRST CD RELEASED ON ROUND RECORDS 97 CALLED 'NO YOU DON'T?

Re: JAMES MULLER

: ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A CD COPY OR TAPED COPY OF JAMES MULLER'S FIRST CD RELEASED ON ROUND RECORDS 97 CALLED 'NO YOU DON'T?

Yes I do! I come from Adelaide, Australia where this recording was made. If you are still interested let me know and I'll give you the contact details for the record company concerned.

Re: JAMES MULLER

: ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A CD COPY OR TAPED COPY OF JAMES MULLER'S FIRST CD RELEASED ON ROUND RECORDS 97 CALLED 'NO YOU DON'T?

audiogalaxy.com

JAMES MULLER

ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A CD COPY OR TAPED COPY OF JAMES MULLER'S FIRST CD RELEASED ON ROUND RECORDS 97 CALLED 'NO YOU DON'T?

tuning zoom gfx-707 guitar effect

tuning zoom gfx-707 guitar effect

This popular thread has been given its own page : tuning zoom gfx-707 guitar effect

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2022 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.