Alvarez-Yairi DY51 1982

Posted by Kevin Smith on Sun, 08/18/02 - 11:36:58.
In Reply to Ravita's Music

Any thoughts on the value of this guitar? It's a great player-beautiful curly maple sides and back.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Alvarez-Yairi DY51

I am the original owner of a DY51BP serial # 31367 guitar I bought in June of 1981, I think the BP stands for pick up. The certification signed by K Yairi states the date of manufacture is June 1979, though the instrument was completed in Jan. 14 1981. It is a beautiful near mint condition guitar, and as much as I hate to I have to sell it. Does anyone have an idea of how much it could be worth ?

Alvarez DY-51

Mine is an '82 that was perfect when I bought it in 2005 for $400. At the time I could't believe how cheap it was for such an incredible hand made guitar. They now sell between $500 and $700 but to a very thin market. Unless you've heard one and mistaken it for a D-28 or played one, you would never know how well it is made.

DY-51

Thanks, I still have it. Don't know if I want to sell it now.

Yairi DY-51 1983

I bought this Yairi in 1984 starting my music career and it remains my concert guitar. Beautiful to play, to see, and especially to hear. I will never choose another over it. Now and then it goes to the repair shop from sheer use, but is a joy to hold and play. Bought it new in '84, for $319. 00, and wouldn't sell it for $3,1900.00! I have other guitars from Taylor, Martin, Washburn & 2 other Yairis. This is THE one.

Re: Alvarez-Yairi DY51 1982

Its a much better guitar than its price. Cedar top, maple back and sides. My dy51 has great tone and action- I've had it for 17 years. You won't find much of a market for it, though. Will sell for $350-400. Everyone wants a rosewood/spruce combo these days, but the maple(bright)/cedar(flat) is a great combo too. Keep it and enjoy the vintage tone.

The sides and back of the DY51 are burled mahogany - not maple........I have a 1980 and love it!

: The sides and back of the DY51 are burled mahogany - not maple........I have a 1980 and love it!
****I have a 1981 DY51 and it is a great guitar. Mine also has burled mahogany sides and back. I'm fairly certain it has a solid spruce top, but I know some were built with Cedar tops. Any clue on that? Thanks, Jim aka thermal51@yahoo.com

: Its a much better guitar than its price. Cedar top, maple back and sides. My dy51 has great tone and action- I've had it for 17 years. You won't find much of a market for it, though. Will sell for $350-400. Everyone wants a rosewood/spruce combo these days, but the maple(bright)/cedar(flat) is a great combo too. Keep it and enjoy the vintage tone.

The sides and back of the DY51 are burled mahogany - not maple........I have a 1980 and love it!

I have a 1979 with burled mahogany though it is not actually burled and I have heard it called blistered mahogany. None the less it sounds as beautiful as it looks and I would not trade it for any other guitar. I would love to have another one.

I have a 1982 DY51 also. I bought it new in 1982 and have all the papers and title for it.It also is burled mahogany and in new condition, it has been played very little. It sounds as good as it looks. I love it.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.