Kapa Guitar

Posted by Wayne Sutton on Thu, 11/22/01 - 22:13:20.

I have a KAPA Electric Guitar that I bought in the Mid 1960's. I have never seen another one and have been asked about it many times. Do you have any knowledge about this "Strad" looking unit?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Kapa Guitar

I just acquired a 65 KAPA 12 string that will need to have a nut made. With the zero fret the notch depths aren't as critical, but string spacing would be. Would anyone mind getting me some accurate measurements of a nut they are happy with, that I might make a good one? Thanks in advance.

My dad bought this style guitar when he was twelve and i just got it from my cusin the wammy bar is broke and it needs some work what do i do?

: I have a KAPA Electric Guitar that I bought in the Mid 1960's. I have never seen another one and have been asked about it many times. Do you have any knowledge about this "Strad" looking unit?

I also have one. KAPA Cobra 6-string elect. It was bought by my stepdad in the late 50's to early 60's e ir3I still love playing it. I've had many other guitars but this one is me!

hey chris parkevich !!!
i tried to email you, but your email is invalid....
i would love to get a copy of those articles you mentioned about the history of the kapa gutairs and the maker... i too have a kapa continental 12 string electric with a original whammy bar that i absolutely love (totally stays in tune too!!) i hope you check back and see this, cause you seem to be the only guy who knows anything about these guitars... please email me if you see this, or if anybody else knows anything or has any documents, i'd love to hear from you.
: I have a KAPA Electric Guitar that I bought in the Mid 1960's. I have never seen another one and have been asked about it many times. Do you have any knowledge about this "Strad" looking unit?

I own a 1965 Kapa Challenger. Everything is original and it is in awesome condition. The pickups on this thing are amazing! They sound like nothing else I've ever played. This is the one guitar I would not sell. I had 3 other Kapa's about a year ago but I sold them. Now, I am kicking myself for doing it. I've read other newsgroups where people say Kapa's are crap. Obviosly, they've never played one.

: I own a 1965 Kapa Challenger. Everything is original and it is in awesome condition. The pickups on this thing are amazing! They sound like nothing else I've ever played. This is the one guitar I would not sell. I had 3 other Kapa's about a year ago but I sold them. Now, I am kicking myself for doing it. I've read other newsgroups where people say Kapa's are crap. Obviosly, they've never played one.

: : I own a 1965 Kapa Challenger. Everything is original and it is in awesome condition. The pickups on this thing are amazing! They sound like nothing else I've ever played. This is the one guitar I would not sell. I had 3 other Kapa's about a year ago but I sold them. Now, I am kicking myself for doing it. I've read other newsgroups where people say Kapa's are crap. Obviosly, they've never played one.
I have a Kapa Cobra single p/u .I've been playing it since the early 60's. Noone hrs played it that dident rave about its tone and playability. HANG ON TO IT!

i own 2 kapa guitars, one is a minstrel tear drop shape and the other is a continental 12 string. they were made in the 60's by koob veneman of the now venemans music in md .the early ones featured his popular super fast neck .there were a number of styles ..tear drop 6 12 and bass series as well as the fender mustang style thin body ..most made from poplar ..i re-did mine the tear drop i did in white with a mirror pick guard new tuners 5 pos. switch and white speed knobs ..it's one of my all time favorite guitars..the 12 i had painted cherry red with white marine pick guard also a great playing and soundng guitar. the later guitars in the early seventies were japanes made bodies and lousey necks .he soon got out of production and into the supply business..which is still going strong..the kapa comes from his and his wife and two childrens first initials .i have a kool artical writen some years back about the kapa history great stuff great guitar if you up date and take time to restore....write back if you want to hear or see more

: i own 2 kapa guitars, one is a minstrel tear drop shape and the other is a continental 12 string. they were made in the 60's by koob veneman of the now venemans music in md .the early ones featured his popular super fast neck .there were a number of styles ..tear drop 6 12 and bass series as well as the fender mustang style thin body ..most made from poplar ..i re-did mine the tear drop i did in white with a mirror pick guard new tuners 5 pos. switch and white speed knobs ..it's one of my all time favorite guitars..the 12 i had painted cherry red with white marine pick guard also a great playing and soundng guitar. the later guitars in the early seventies were japanes made bodies and lousey necks .he soon got out of production and into the supply business..which is still going strong..the kapa comes from his and his wife and two childrens first initials .i have a kool artical writen some years back about the kapa history great stuff great guitar if you up date and take time to restore....write back if you want to hear or see more

I ALSO HAVE A KAPA MINSTREL THAT I AM RESTORING-GREAT GUITAR- ANY HISTORY ON THESE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Michael Wright's book "Guitar Stories Vol. 1" has the complete history of Kapa guitars.

Re: Kapa Guitar: I own one one of his Hollow body basses shaped like a es 335 with pointed bouts,

: i own 2 kapa guitars, one is a minstrel tear drop shape and the other is a continental 12 string. they were made in the 60's by koob veneman of the now venemans music in md .the early ones featured his popular super fast neck .there were a number of styles ..tear drop 6 12 and bass series as well as the fender mustang style thin body ..most made from poplar ..i re-did mine the tear drop i did in white with a mirror pick guard new tuners 5 pos. switch and white speed knobs ..it's one of my all time favorite guitars..the 12 i had painted cherry red with white marine pick guard also a great playing and soundng guitar. the later guitars in the early seventies were japanes made bodies and lousey necks .he soon got out of production and into the supply business..which is still going strong..the kapa comes from his and his wife and two childrens first initials .i have a kool artical writen some years back about the kapa history great stuff great guitar if you up date and take time to restore....write back if you want to hear or see more

: : i own 2 kapa guitars, one is a minstrel tear drop shape and the other is a continental 12 string. they were made in the 60's by koob veneman of the now venemans music in md .the early ones featured his popular super fast neck .there were a number of styles ..tear drop 6 12 and bass series as well as the fender mustang style thin body ..most made from poplar ..i re-did mine the tear drop i did in white with a mirror pick guard new tuners 5 pos. switch and white speed knobs ..it's one of my all time favorite guitars..the 12 i had painted cherry red with white marine pick guard also a great playing and soundng guitar. the later guitars in the early seventies were japanes made bodies and lousey necks .he soon got out of production and into the supply business..which is still going strong..the kapa comes from his and his wife and two childrens first initials .i have a kool artical writen some years back about the kapa history great stuff great guitar if you up date and take time to restore....write back if you want to hear or see more

Michael wrote that Kapa's were made by Koob Veneman. I am not 100% certain, but I believe his name was spelled Kope Veneman.

: : : i own 2 kapa guitars, one is a minstrel tear drop shape and the other is a continental 12 string. they were made in the 60's by koob veneman of the now venemans music in md .the early ones featured his popular super fast neck .there were a number of styles ..tear drop 6 12 and bass series as well as the fender mustang style thin body ..most made from poplar ..i re-did mine the tear drop i did in white with a mirror pick guard new tuners 5 pos. switch and white speed knobs ..it's one of my all time favorite guitars..the 12 i had painted cherry red with white marine pick guard also a great playing and soundng guitar. the later guitars in the early seventies were japanes made bodies and lousey necks .he soon got out of production and into the supply business..which is still going strong..the kapa comes from his and his wife and two childrens first initials .i have a kool artical writen some years back about the kapa history great stuff great guitar if you up date and take time to restore....write back if you want to hear or see more

Michael-

If you still have the article, I would like a scan or photo copy. I have a 3 p'up Kapa (Deluxe/Wildcat??) that I'd like to ID & find out more about the company.

Please reply directly to my email address.

Thanks,

Lee
i have a kool artical writen some years back about the kapa history
: : : : i own 2 kapa guitars, one is a minstrel tear drop shape and the other is a continental 12 string. they were made in the 60's by koob veneman of the now venemans music in md .the early ones featured his popular super fast neck .there were a number of styles ..tear drop 6 12 and bass series as well as the fender mustang style thin body ..most made from poplar ..i re-did mine the tear drop i did in white with a mirror pick guard new tuners 5 pos. switch and white speed knobs ..it's one of my all time favorite guitars..the 12 i had painted cherry red with white marine pick guard also a great playing and soundng guitar. the later guitars in the early seventies were japanes made bodies and lousey necks .he soon got out of production and into the supply business..which is still going strong..the kapa comes from his and his wife and two childrens first initials .i have a kool artical writen some years back about the kapa history great stuff great guitar if you up date and take time to restore....write back if you want to hear or see more

True. Mr. Veneman imported them from Japan and the name comes from the initials of the family's first names:
Kobe(not sure of the spelling), Adele(spouse), Patricia(daughter), Albert(son).

I knew them in the 70's.

: Michael wrote that Kapa's were made by Koob Veneman. I am not 100% certain, but I believe his name was spelled Kope Veneman.

: : : : i own 2 kapa guitars, one is a minstrel tear drop shape and the other is a continental 12 string. they were made in the 60's by koob veneman of the now venemans music in md .the early ones featured his popular super fast neck .there were a number of styles ..tear drop 6 12 and bass series as well as the fender mustang style thin body ..most made from poplar ..i re-did mine the tear drop i did in white with a mirror pick guard new tuners 5 pos. switch and white speed knobs ..it's one of my all time favorite guitars..the 12 i had painted cherry red with white marine pick guard also a great playing and soundng guitar. the later guitars in the early seventies were japanes made bodies and lousey necks .he soon got out of production and into the supply business..which is still going strong..the kapa comes from his and his wife and two childrens first initials .i have a kool artical writen some years back about the kapa history great stuff great guitar if you up date and take time to restore....write back if you want to hear or see more

:hallo!
i'm from italy...
can u give me some informations about Kapa minstral?
can u send me a photo?
In italy can i buy it?price+-?
thanks bye michi

i own 2 kapa guitars, one is a minstrel tear drop shape and the other is a continental 12 string. they were made in the 60's by koob veneman of the now venemans music in md .the early ones featured his popular super fast neck .there were a number of styles ..tear drop 6 12 and bass series as well as the fender mustang style thin body ..most made from poplar ..i re-did mine the tear drop i did in white with a mirror pick guard new tuners 5 pos. switch and white speed knobs ..it's one of my all time favorite guitars..the 12 i had painted cherry red with white marine pick guard also a great playing and soundng guitar. the later guitars in the early seventies were japanes made bodies and lousey necks .he soon got out of production and into the supply business..which is still going strong..the kapa comes from his and his wife and two childrens first initials .i have a kool artical writen some years back about the kapa history great stuff great guitar if you up date and take time to restore....write back if you want to hear or see more

:I bought a Kapa Continental solid body elctric in 1968. I still have it and still love it. I was told that the man who started Kapa worked for Gibson for a while designing pickups. He quit because they wouldn't listen to any of his ideas for the ultimate guitar. He then worked for Fender designing pickups and quit there for the same reason. He thought the ideal guitar would be a Fender body and neck with Gibson electronics and he started Kapa to make his ideal guitar. I think he did a great job but Kapa only lasted 5 or 6 years. I never could find out if they went out of business or were bought out by another company. I have been searching for Kapa guitars and information about the company for years and I have had no luck at all.

i have a 1965 kapa continental guitar that i got from my cousin. Its teal green and in good shape and still works like new. Except for one on the tone knobs doesnt work.

If u want to talk about it leave me a message. and ill get back to you.
mike

: Is the Kapa guitar for sale?
Carter

: i have a 1965 kapa continental guitar that i got from my cousin. Its teal green and in good shape and still works like new. Except for one on the tone knobs doesnt work.

: If u want to talk about it leave me a message. and ill get back to you.
: mike

I just found out about this site. I have a 1963 KAPA Challenger which I found at Ziggy's in PHX, AZ when I first started out with my 60's bands, The Blazers and West Side Gang. Got drafted, went to NAM, never got back into the mainstream again. It was $100 and, of course, brand new. My mother bought it for me. I used to have the original printed documentation and brochure for the Challenger. There were 2 models at that time on the brochure and it was a brand new company. I believe the second model had 3 Pickups instead of the 2 on the one I bought. I believe th 3 picup model was $130. For years, I wondered what happened to KAPA and never saw another one.... I still have the guitar, neck is perfect and plays hotter than any strat I've ever had. Rivals Les Pauls. Tremelo bar was never much to write home about, though... Vic West, Tucson, AZ

: : i have a 1965 kapa continental guitar that i got from my cousin. Its teal green and in good shape and still works like new. Except for one on the tone knobs doesnt work.

: : If u want to talk about it leave me a message. and ill get back to you.
: : mike

yo my grandpa just gave me a kapa guitar series 500 and i dont know much about it so email me if you know any thing abot it

I also have a 1965 Kapa Continental that I got from my uncle. It has great sound, and is in good condition.

: : I have a KAPA Electric Guitar that I bought in the Mid 1960's. I have never seen another one and have been asked about it many times. Do you have any knowledge about this "Strad" looking unit? I also have a Kapa Contential and also love it I am too looking for info on it.

: :I bought a Kapa Continental solid body elctric in 1968. I still have it and still love it. I was told that the man who started Kapa worked for Gibson for a while designing pickups. He quit because they wouldn't listen to any of his ideas for the ultimate guitar. He then worked for Fender designing pickups and quit there for the same reason. He thought the ideal guitar would be a Fender body and neck with Gibson electronics and he started Kapa to make his ideal guitar. I think he did a great job but Kapa only lasted 5 or 6 years. I never could find out if they went out of business or were bought out by another company. I have been searching for Kapa guitars and information about the company for years and I have had no luck at all.

I have a Kapa Continental solid body guitar. It is similar to a Strat in shape. It's thinner and smaller than a strat (like 3/4 size). It's a cool looking guitar and what little I have found about them they are very cool sounding guitars. Mine is missing the saddle bridge and machine heads so I have a real challenge in finding original parts for it.

I would also be interested in any information on Kapa guitars. I have a Kapa Challenger with a Bigsby tailpiece. Haven't been able to find any information on it. Thanks in advance.

I found a good source of Kapa data in the book Guitar Stories, Volume One A History of Cool Guitars by Michael Wright. He had a chapter on Kapa with several pictures and some good info. I just placed my 12 string continental on ebay today and was doing some research on it when I stumbled across this book.

I have a Kapa series 500 hollow body with a melita bridge and it is a hollowbody that i think is as good if not better than any Gibson i've used. The company Kapa started in the 60's and was bought our in the 70's . They were made in Maryland.
s

I have a Kapa Challenger with a Bigsby tailpiece, as well. Does ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT THIS THINGS??? All I've heard is that there humbuckers are as good or better than gibson.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.