Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - July, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

How boring are Pink Floyd?

How boring are Pink Floyd? Find out soon in GNW this week... Subscribe now (free - go to the front page of GuitarSite.com) What do you think? Do PF excite you? Did they ever? Or did/do you play them on grey Sunday afternoons then want to go away & quietly hang yourself... (no offence guys, just trying to provoke a response here... ;-)

Re: How boring are Pink Floyd?

: How boring are Pink Floyd? Find out soon in GNW this week... Subscribe now (free - go to the front page of GuitarSite.com) What do you think? Do PF excite you? Did they ever? Or did/do you play them on grey Sunday afternoons then want to go away & quietly hang yourself... (no offence guys, just trying to provoke a response here... ;-)
Hey Neil congrates on the Marshall amp, lucky basterd. Anyway, if you think Pink Floyd is boring, you don't have a pulse yourself. All their music is deep, and motivating. They are one of the best prog rock bands ever. From DSOTM, to The Wall, they are just an extremely talented, and entertaining band. I can't avoid listening to a whole record, when I start listening to them.

loserrrrrrrrr

: loserrrrrrrrr

Well, Mr. head seems to have more than earned his name, although it seems to me that "dick" should be his middle name and "empty" should be his first.<smirk>

--SauGtz <geoco@netscape.net>

they just ain't what they used to be are they?...the wall was definitely a swan song for the floyd's in my humble opinion, even though there was still the final cut with roger, it just didn't do much for me i'm afraid...and for the floyd's without rog...forget it!..the schizophrenic edge that marked their best works from the old "syd days" to the wall are long gone, taking one of the best dynamic elements away from a band who lived in their theatrical use of dynamicism...to anyone thinking of buying a new floyd album i say take that money and finish collecting the rest of the works with rog, including the syd barrett one's so you can see for yourself how boring and semi-lifeless the new stuff appears to be....and i love gilmour's playing...but it just isn't the same, and never will be....even if roger was to come back, that moment has passed, and it wouldn't be the same ever again...

fully agree
:
: they just ain't what they used to be are they?...the wall was definitely a swan song for the floyd's in my humble opinion, even though there was still the final cut with roger, it just didn't do much for me i'm afraid...and for the floyd's without rog...forget it!..the schizophrenic edge that marked their best works from the old "syd days" to the wall are long gone, taking one of the best dynamic elements away from a band who lived in their theatrical use of dynamicism...to anyone thinking of buying a new floyd album i say take that money and finish collecting the rest of the works with rog, including the syd barrett one's so you can see for yourself how boring and semi-lifeless the new stuff appears to be....and i love gilmour's playing...but it just isn't the same, and never will be....even if roger was to come back, that moment has passed, and it wouldn't be the same ever again...

: This mob got boring after Dark Side and the only reason they where interesting in the first place,eas that they did it first.
There was no great musical talent displayed only innovation (Barret)

Boring......My ARSE !

: How boring are Pink Floyd? Find out soon in GNW this week... Subscribe now (free - go to the front page of GuitarSite.com) What do you think? Do PF excite you? Did they ever? Or did/do you play them on grey Sunday afternoons then want to go away & quietly hang yourself... (no offence guys, just trying to provoke a response here... ;-)

Hey Neil, I thought you won the amp, but from what I see, you are giving it away in a Guitartrader.com contest. Please pick me, I could use an amp. Right now I got a used Crate amp, I could use a Marshall. BTW, I meant having a pulse, by everybody having a pulse, not just yourself. I always though that Pink Floyd was one of those bands that just changed music for the better

hmm, pink floyd! there are some albums on my shelf that no-one can call boring. in many aspects and details, there were ahead of their time. nevertheless, i know quite boring music by pink floyd in the 90's. hey, whaddaya want? they were one of the greatest bands ever and to many still they are! four british guys with a bundle of great ideas and attitude. cÄ'mon in boy, have a cigar - oh yes, one of the most cynical coments on rock biz. those were the 70's: the best earning band dared to spit into the face of big biz! haven't noticed limp biz doing this yet...

Pink Floyd, at one time, were one of the preeminent creative forces in rock at a time when rock was just beginning to really mature as an art form. They really began to blossom in the early seventies when their earlier weird psychedelic experimentations started to take shape into more cohesive and powerful works of art, and that momentum carried them all the way through to The Wall. By that point, however, their journey had pretty much run its course, they were no longer lean and hungry with something to prove, and they started disliking their situation (and each other) intensely. Roger Waters and the rest of the guys parted ways (with a bitterness that continues to this day), and from then on, the creative cocktail would no longer have all the necessary ingredients. The fire had burned itself out.

Nowadays, Floyd are comfortable, secure English gentlemen who have earned the right to relax and play the old hits just for fun. Considering the road they took to get to this point, I won't begrudge them putting out safe, formulaic retreads of "Learning To Fly" if it means they're happy and not at each others' throats.

Boring? Hell, yes. Everything from "The Final Cut" to the present has just sounded like four old guys (I'm including Waters here) who used to be Pink Floyd. But we still have all the old albums, don't we?

floyd sold out in 73

I think you need to appreciate there music. Its kind of like "Yes" their totally awsome album Close To The Edge, the first time
I heard I said this is shit. The second time, I recognised a few cool parts. The third time, I started listening to the lyrics, and from then
on I knew I loved that band. Now back to Floyd. There music is highly experimental, and spacey, the lyrics telling tales of insanity, and mysterious wonders.
I think i really struck a chord in the 70's, and sadly its failed to bring a teenage crowd, except the druggies, in the 90's. Watching thee PULSE video is
amasing, how fuckin awsome is that video? It rules. Although Pink Floyd still is around, contantly in my house, I think only some dedicated teens truly appreciate
the music, and I am one of them. There are about 3 songs I dislike being of Floyd. Thats it after all their albums thats it. Many will critisize what happened with Water
after the final cut, I won't, I see it as a changing point in pink floyd. The lyrics changed to a happier state, and the music kept its atmosphere. It grows on you
I mean, in ten years who the hell thinks they will remember eminem or dr. dre? Only the few good bands remain, Pink Floyd being on of them with nearly 40 years
of being around and still being able to kick the ass of all the stupid rap singers. When the value of a BAND still is there concern, not some faggy boys singing
to a keyboard. Without a doubt Pink Floyd is not boring, of course your going to get the stupid mother fuckers who think that cause it was made in the 70's it sucks
or that any 20 minute song isn't worth lisening to, are just that, stupid mother fuckers. Pink Floyd will no doubt get smaller crowds as it goes into the next generation
but it will survive, the music is inspiring and beautiful, not many bands can re-create the kind of atmostphere that Pink Floyd can, waters and gilmour together made
some great cookies, that fed the world. Once part of the recipie (waters) left it changed into a different kind of "cookie" still just as tastey to me though. Pink Floyd is
not boring to people who are of the right mind, or open minded shall I say. Pink Floyd is the best thing to hit the music stands ever, evan moreso than hendrix I believe
IN FLOYD WE TRUST.

Pink Floyd sucks so bad. They need to beaten with a lead pipe. Van Halen kicks Pink Floyd's ass. Van Halen is the best band ever and Pink Floyd is the worst in the universe. VH forever!

if you don't like floyd, than you are a very very lost person...

It's history. It's our soul.
I realy don't care what you think about.
Pink Floyd is the best music of the world.
If you don't like you dn't exist. In Brazil everybody like Pink Floy's musics.

Collectable '60's Kay guitars. How much are they worth? UK.

Collectable  '60's Kay guitars. How much are they worth? UK.

This popular thread has been given its own page : Collectable '60's Kay guitars. How much are they worth? UK.

GUITAR QUALITY

IM A BEGINNER AND HAVE BEEN SHOPPING FOR A GUITAR.I FOUND A JOHNSON GUITAR WITH MARTIN STRINGS FOR A HUNDRED BUCKS. MY QUESTION IS, IS IT A DECENT GUITAR OR SHOULD I SPEND ANOTHER HUNDRED BUCKS OR SO AND GET A WELL KNOWN GUITAR? SINCERELY,A MOTIVATED BEGINNER.

Re: GUITAR QUALITY

Sorry i have never heard of that name brand before.What i would suggest to you is order yourself a MUSICIANS FRIEND catalog they have cheap to expensive guitars and amps.Just look them up on the web and good luck with your playing...TIM

Hey--I'm also a beginner living in China. The best (most expensive) acoustic/electric guitar they have where I am is a Yamaha APX 4A for a little more than $400 American buck. I'm sure Yamaha is a good company, but could somebody who knows tell me how good they are, how could this specific model is, and how good this price is? Where does Yamaha rate in the guitar world? Thanks, Jesse H.

Re: GUITAR QUALITY -an easy suggestion

One easy suggestion, try to purchase an acoustic with a solid top (verses a laminate) this way at least when your ear has developed you may just have choosen a guitar you'll want to hang on to. Tell tale signs of low quality (painted fingerboard and bridge, they spray/stain it black to look like ebony -finish sealing the neck joint,the neck was glued on before the guitar was painted- painted on binding- crappy tuners)Once in a while though, a cheap old Harmony or such will surprise me, that's why it's hard to throw an entire brand in the junk heap. The best advice is buy something with easy action/playability and save your money for when your ear and style has improved enough to make a educated choice. Good Luck!
www.fretnotguitarrepair.com

right on

i agree about getting an accoustic b4 u get an electric. it's not as glamorus but its smarter. i'm in australia and i can tell you, you can not get a decent guitar for anything under at least 450-500 bucks. i dont know how that translates worldwide. and get a good accoustic. if u get a crappy guitar for ur first, elec or acc, you'll end up hating it. it'll go outta tune and sound terrible. and as for which guitar, cart ur arse on in to ur local music shop and look around. touch, feel! bring one of ur olds so it looks like u might buy something. THEN they'll let u play. : )

as for u jessie h, yamaha is a pretty solid guitar company. its not like gibson or fender etc, but its certainly a pretty good mid-range guitar.

I have played guitar for over 25 years and I just bought the Yamaha APX-4A. This is one of the finest instruments I have played, regardless of price. I paid $350 american, so $400 is not too bad. Make sure to have a technition look it over before you buy and just make sure you don't get a lemon. I have heard they have a few that have small problems. Make sure you select the guitar from 3-4 different guitars of the same exact model number.

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions. I have 7 guitars and this one replaces some very expensive guitars in my live show. Extremely versatile and unsurpassed sound.

Robert Navarre
(248)334-1781
(248)619-6100 9 - 5pm Eastern Standard Time

: Hey--I'm also a beginner living in China. The best (most expensive) acoustic/electric guitar they have where I am is a Yamaha APX 4A for a little more than $400 American buck. I'm sure Yamaha is a good company, but could somebody who knows tell me how good they are, how could this specific model is, and how good this price is? Where does Yamaha rate in the guitar world? Thanks, Jesse H.

APX 4A; Excellent guitar for those with small hands, sounds wonderful, the electrics I am assured are sound. It cost cost me $600 bucks 4 years ago in Britain and costs more now.

: APX 4A; Excellent guitar for those with small hands, sounds wonderful, the electrics I am assured are sound. It cost cost me $600 bucks 4 years ago in Britain and costs more now.

: I have played guitar for over 25 years and I just bought the Yamaha APX-4A. This is one of the finest instruments I have played, regardless of price. I paid $350 american, so $400 is not too bad. Make sure to have a technition look it over before you buy and just make sure you don't get a lemon. I have heard they have a few that have small problems. Make sure you select the guitar from 3-4 different guitars of the same exact model number.

: Please feel free to call me if you have any questions. I have 7 guitars and this one replaces some very expensive guitars in my live show. Extremely versatile and unsurpassed sound.

: Robert Navarre
: (248)334-1781
: (248)619-6100 9 - 5pm Eastern Standard Time

: : Hey--I'm also a beginner living in China. The best (most expensive) acoustic/electric guitar they have where I am is a Yamaha APX 4A for a little more than $400 American buck. I'm sure Yamaha is a good company, but could somebody who knows tell me how good they are, how could this specific model is, and how good this price is? Where does Yamaha rate in the guitar world? Thanks, Jesse H.

Don't buy it. I saw one once - after it had been played a month or so - and it was junk. The strings buzzed and it the body only resonated as much as a brick.

: IM A BEGINNER AND HAVE BEEN SHOPPING FOR A GUITAR.I FOUND A JOHNSON GUITAR WITH MARTIN STRINGS FOR A HUNDRED BUCKS. MY QUESTION IS, IS IT A DECENT GUITAR OR SHOULD I SPEND ANOTHER HUNDRED BUCKS OR SO AND GET A WELL KNOWN GUITAR? SINCERELY,A MOTIVATED BEGINNER.

Definitely spend more.
If you're just a total beginner, I really recommend learning on acoustic, but if you want an elecric, look for a good quality used instrument or a new entry level instrument. I recommend the following electrics:

Fender Standard (Mexican) series Strat or Tele (you may want to put new pickups in eventually

or if you're more of a metalhead check out

Jackson Performance sereies PS-2 (I own one) or PS4, etc. These a GREAT guitars even when compared to instruments twice their price. Great High output pickups for metal and the single coils in the PS2 are very nice too.

Spencer

The difference between ibanez and fender

The difference between ibanez and fender

This popular thread has been given its own page : The difference between ibanez and fender

1983 Fender Squire

1983 Fender Squire

This popular thread has been given its own page : 1983 Fender Squire

how much is a used ( 1year old) Fender DG-20CE worth?

how much is a used ( 1year old) Fender DG-20CE worth?
IT is in perfect condition and looks great. If anyone could help me i would be very thankfull.
Thanks,
Justin

MESABOOGIE "triaxis"

MESABOOGIE "triaxis"

This popular thread has been given its own page : MESABOOGIE "triaxis"

70/80's punk distortion?

I have a Boss Metalzone but was curious if there are any other pedals that can give off a (real) punk distortion. Like Crass, Dead Kennedys, Misfits etc.
thx

Re: 70/80's punk distortion?

Not really into punk-rock.Try the Rat(Proco)distortion.
It can get really SHITTY,if tweaked right.

strat decal

I am looking for a strat headstock decal. Can anyone help!!!

Re: strat decal

: I am looking for a strat headstock decal. Can anyone help!!!

try the classified ads at Harmony central; I think I saw a guy advertising them under accessories. Sometimes
someone will sneak one through at ebay, though if the
ebay police catch it they'll close the auction. There
is a guy who advertises in the Vintage Guitar mag for
Ferden Sortacaster decals; you really have to look 'em
to see it :^).

I have a Franken strat that I made my own decal for.
I called it "the Dougster".

Regards,

Doug "the Dougster" Trueblood

: : I am looking for a strat headstock decal. Can anyone help!!!

: try the classified ads at Harmony central; I think I saw a guy advertising them under accessories. Sometimes
: someone will sneak one through at ebay, though if the
: ebay police catch it they'll close the auction. There
: is a guy who advertises in the Vintage Guitar mag for
: Ferden Sortacaster decals; you really have to look 'em
: to see it :^).

: I have a Franken strat that I made my own decal for.
: I called it "the Dougster".

: Regards,

: Doug "the Dougster" Trueblood

If you know of any ...I only need one ... for the newest...Creation my friend is making ...heheh ........ Please drop me a line if you can RE: Blueray at the E-mail posted ...thanx I sure would love to decorate it with a Sortacas... decal ;)

: I am looking for a strat headstock decal. Can anyone help!!!

Hi there. You need to check out a guy on ebay. His user name is mighty_e and he has really close duplicates of strat / tele waterslide decals. Broadcaster / Esquire / Strat you name it, he's got it. He sells them off his website, but not on ebay. Use ebay to link to his website. Hope this helps.

omnichord

A friend of mine would like to take an omnichord back to germany from Calgary, Alberta.
I'm trying to find him one, but I don't even know what it really is or where in the world you can still get one. If you have any information about this, please e-mail me. Thank you very much.

Smiths / Johnny Marr Stuff?

anyone into JohnnyMarr stuff w/ the smiths?

I've learned most of their songs and realized that
many of the tabs out there are garbage.

If anyone knows the accurate way to play
William it was really nothing
(i saw this one tabbed in a British magazine,
but i don't know how to find it.)

or:

some girls are bigger than others?
money changes everything?
queen is dead?

well.. that's enough for now.
please feel free to email &
if you haven't checked out the latest
Electronic CD... it's pretty damn good.

darius

Re: Smiths / Johnny Marr Stuff?

: anyone into JohnnyMarr stuff w/ the smiths?

Love it.

: I've learned most of their songs and realized that
: many of the tabs out there are garbage.

Hey! I actually did a lot of those tabs (about 10 years ago)

: If anyone knows the accurate way to play
: William it was really nothing
: (i saw this one tabbed in a British magazine,
: but i don't know how to find it.)

That's a tough one. If you capo at the 5th fret, I think it's easier, but it involves hammer on C shapes, which is very difficult. I'm pretty sure he did this in an alternate tuning.

: or:

: some girls are bigger than others?

Try a capo at 2nd fret and play:

For the verse:

Am C G (you may need to use different colorings, e.g. leave the high e open on the g)

chorus/tunaround:

F Em7

That's approximately it. The big resolving chord is a C.

: money changes everything?
: queen is dead?

: well.. that's enough for now.
: please feel free to email &
: if you haven't checked out the latest
: Electronic CD... it's pretty damn good.

:
: darius

Re: Smiths / Johnny Marr Stuff?

: anyone into JohnnyMarr stuff w/ the smiths?

: I've learned most of their songs and realized that
: many of the tabs out there are garbage
William can be found in its entirety in a back catalogue of 'Total Guitar' magazine around nov '99 and it is a very good tab. But it is incredibly difficult to get right and johnny always layers 2,3 or more guitars together so it can be confusing.
good luck
JL

: If anyone knows the accurate way to play
: William it was really nothing
: (i saw this one tabbed in a British magazine,
: but i don't know how to find it.)

: or:

: some girls are bigger than others?
: money changes everything?
: queen is dead?

: well.. that's enough for now.
: please feel free to email &
: if you haven't checked out the latest
: Electronic CD... it's pretty damn good.

:
: darius

Bagpipe Tunes on Guitar

I transcribed a couple of bagpipe tunes for guitar, "The Black Mill" and "Lord Lovat's Lament". You can hear them at http://www.mp3.com/jimgraham

Jim in Canada

Delay effect help

One of my favorite guitarists uses a 13 millisecond delay in his left channel and a 26 millisecond delay in his right channel. I love his sound and would like to recreate certain aspects of it. My question is, could I run 2 delays in a row(one at 13ms and the other at 26ms) in my chain using the same channel and basically do the same thing.

Re: Delay effect help

No, it won't work. You will get one delay working on the other. What you are describing is a stereo effect, recorded separately. You might want to run two amps, and run one signal into each one. You could also use a stereo amp, with each channel using a different delay.

Re: Delay effect help

Hmm.Sounds like your guy is using a seperate channel for each delay effect,if it's in stereo.

FXschematics

FXschematics

This popular thread has been given its own page : FXschematics

Gibson GGC 700

I own a Gibson GGC 700 and would really like some information about this model. It looks like a Les Paul, but it´s not. It has humbuckers but you can split them by using a toggle so that you get a single-coil sound. (At least I think it works like that.) If you have some info about this model: Please mail me.

is pink floyd boring?

is pink floyd boring?

This popular thread has been given its own page : is pink floyd boring?

NAPSTER v RIAA... FAIR USAGE ON THE INTERNET

On Monday July 3, Napster submitted its rebuttal to the RIAA's request for a preliminary injunction against the company. Unlike its original claim of protection as an ISP under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), the firm has shifted its defense
to argue that sharing MP3 files of recorded musical works is in fact protected under fair usage rules. The implications and repercussions of this defense, if accepted by the Court, would literally redefine the manner in which copyright has been perceived by the industry, not to mention the evolution of online
business models. Do Napster users actions constitute private, noncommercial use of copyright protected works? Does the service materially harm or enhance the value of such works? Is the recording industry partially at fault? What do you think?

recommended electric guitar

recommended electric guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : recommended electric guitar

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.