Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Guitar courses in the UK

Can anybody recommend any guitar courses running in the UK, either at universities or independent institutions?

On-line Recording Studios

Perhaps you all could provide me with some feedback. We’ve just launched the first On-line Recording Studios, and we need your input. The public studios are open to all - free of charge, and the eMagic software you will need is available as a free download. Let me know what you think.

http://www.zzounds.com/music/mkt/redir.music?a=sNewsGsi_vMarg_lVs_ae&rp=www.harmonycentral.com/Rocket/

Music Festivals

Here are a couple of links to contests. The first is to win a trip to New Orleans Jazz Fest, and the seciond is to win a trip to the Fender Blues Festival in Catalina.

http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=z.big_easy&a=sNewsGsi_i02_vMarg_lJazz_ae

http://www.zzounds.com/music/mkt/redir.music?a=sNewsGsi_vMarg_lFender_ae&rp=www.harmonycentral.com/News/2000/Catalina-Blues-Contest.html

how much is it worth

I have a 1992 Gibson Custom Les Paul Wine Red Burst color. its in awesome condition
so how much is it worth

thanks

Rush instructional videos: i.e. "Licks in the style of Alex Lifeson/Rush"

Rush instructional videos: i.e. "Licks in the style of Alex Lifeson/Rush"

i.e.  "Licks in the style of Alex Lifeson/Rush"

This popular thread has been given its own page : Rush instructional videos: i.e. "Licks in the style of Alex Lifeson/Rush"

Musicman Sabre II, what's it worth?

Musicman Sabre II, what's it worth?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Musicman Sabre II, what's it worth?

Tstar v4.0 multitrack recording software.

To download free trial go to winsite.com
and in search box enter Tstarcd40.zip.
Only 20 dollars to register. Unlimited tracks,
and lots of waveform editing features.

Joke

Two missionaries and their guide are walking through the jungle when they heard "BOOM BOOM...BOOM BOOM...". Concerned, they asked the guide, "What is that sound?". The guide says "No worry, we safe. Only drums". After an hour of constant "Boom BOOMing" the drums begin to pound harder and faster. They ask the guide "What is happening?". The guide replies "No worry, we safe. Only drums." A little later the drums intensify again. The guide, reading their minds, turns and says "No worry, we safe. Only drums.". A little while later the drums stop. The missionaries turn to their guide and say "Gee... I'm sure glad the drums stopped, I feel safer now". The guide, with an obvious look of panic on his face says "We in great danger". The missionaries, horror struck ask "Why? The drums have stopped!". The guide replies "When Drums stop, BASS SOLO BEGINS!"

Re: Joke

: Two missionaries and their guide are walking through the jungle when they heard "BOOM BOOM...BOOM BOOM...". Concerned, they asked the guide, "What is that sound?". The guide says "No worry, we safe. Only drums". After an hour of constant "Boom BOOMing" the drums begin to pound harder and faster. They ask the guide "What is happening?". The guide replies "No worry, we safe. Only drums." A little later the drums intensify again. The guide, reading their minds, turns and says "No worry, we safe. Only drums.". A little while later the drums stop. The missionaries turn to their guide and say "Gee... I'm sure glad the drums stopped, I feel safer now". The guide, with an obvious look of panic on his face says "We in great danger". The missionaries, horror struck ask "Why? The drums have stopped!". The guide replies "When Drums stop, BASS SOLO BEGINS!"

This one gets my vote!!!!!

joke contest

there is this polish drummer his name i manuel & he plays in a raegae band 1 day at rehersal manuel was just not keeping time..this angered his band mates he was adding extra fills coming in at all different times & tempos so finally the rest of the band had become fed up with manuel so they took his stool & placed it in the center of a circle they had drawn in the dirt and said "dont set foot outside this circle"...the the bass player takes manuels drumstix & slams them through all the heads on his drum kit...manuel begins to giggle...seeing this the guitar player get a hammer & starts beating on the shell & stands... manuel laughs a little louder...enraged the lead singer gets a can of gas pours it all over manuels kit then sets it ablaze ...manuel begins laughing histarically confused the band members ask manuel."we've totally destroyed your drum kit & its burning as we speak.""what do you find so funny ?"manuel gathers him self and responds "while you were busy destroying my kit ... i stepped out of the circle 3 times"

Gibson Ace Frehley les paul Opinions,Reviews,How much etc..

Ace frehley les paul by gibson,Any info on this guitar Reviews, pros&cons How much am i looking to spend on this, What guitar magazines did a review ? Besides The three pickups, is it a true custom les paul?

Re: Gibson Ace Frehley les paul Opinions,Reviews,How much etc..

: Ace frehley les paul by gibson,Any info on this guitar Reviews, pros&cons How much am i looking to spend on this, What guitar magazines did a review ? Besides The three pickups, is it a true custom les paul?

: : Ace frehley les paul by gibson,Any info on this guitar Reviews, pros&cons How much am i looking to spend on this, What guitar magazines did a review ? Besides The three pickups, is it a true custom les paul?

Okay, first off the cost, its $780 at Musicians Friend. To answer your other yes no question, it is custom. If you want to look like Ace Frehley, buy this one. Your right about the 3 pickups, I don't know if you know it has Dimarzio pickups, not Gibson Hummies. They also have custom hardware, inlays, tuners, and headstock. Also I would like to ask you whether you are talking Epiphone or Gibson here. Epiphone I believe is the only producer of the guitar. If Gibson made one, I haven't seen it, and it would probably be in the ballpark of $3,800, thats if they made one. Now I haven't seen a review of it, since it is made by a Korean maker, and they usually don't review Epiphones. Now I will give a few suggestions. First, if you are not the #1 Kiss fan on the planet, and you are buying the guitar for quality purposes, don't buy it. It has the diehards in mind, when making this one. Now I will give a few Epiphone 3 pickup guitars. First off, the LP Black beauty, ironically right next to the Ace Frehley one in the catalog. This guitar has gold hardware, nice black color, and has a nice 3 pickup sound, for $160 less. The G-400 is a custom Sg with 3 pickups, but I heard its on the cheappy side. Also if you want a Gibson type guitar, and are willing to pay upwards of $800, go for the real thing man. Go for a Sg special, or an Lp special, or even an Lp junior. I'm talking Gibsons, because between that and Danelectro's, those are the only electric guitars I buy. If you want to go another way, thats alright to. I don't what else you have in mind, and also your style, so I can't elaborate.

:
: : : Ace frehley les paul by gibson,Any info on this guitar Reviews, pros&cons How much am i looking to spend on this, What guitar magazines did a review ? Besides The three pickups, is it a true custom les paul?

:
: Okay, first off the cost, its $780 at Musicians Friend. To answer your other yes no question, it is custom. If you want to look like Ace Frehley, buy this one. Your right about the 3 pickups, I don't know if you know it has Dimarzio pickups, not Gibson Hummies. They also have custom hardware, inlays, tuners, and headstock. Also I would like to ask you whether you are talking Epiphone or Gibson here. Epiphone I believe is the only producer of the guitar. If Gibson made one, I haven't seen it, and it would probably be in the ballpark of $3,800, thats if they made one. Now I haven't seen a review of it, since it is made by a Korean maker, and they usually don't review Epiphones. Now I will give a few suggestions. First, if you are not the #1 Kiss fan on the planet, and you are buying the guitar for quality purposes, don't buy it. It has the diehards in mind, when making this one. Now I will give a few Epiphone 3 pickup guitars. First off, the LP Black beauty, ironically right next to the Ace Frehley one in the catalog. This guitar has gold hardware, nice black color, and has a nice 3 pickup sound, for $160 less. The G-400 is a custom Sg with 3 pickups, but I heard its on the cheappy side. Also if you want a Gibson type guitar, and are willing to pay upwards of $800, go for the real thing man. Go for a Sg special, or an Lp special, or even an Lp junior. I'm talking Gibsons, because between that and Danelectro's, those are the only electric guitars I buy. If you want to go another way, thats alright to. I don't what else you have in mind, and also your style, so I can't elaborate.

I would have to disagree with the G-400 being on the "cheappy side". I own one and I think that it's probably the best sounding guitar you can get in that price range, but that's just my opinion. I love the thing though and would recommend it to anyone looking for a guitar that doesn't have a thousand dollars to spend.

-Ben

:
: : : Ace frehley les paul by gibson,Any info on this guitar Reviews, pros&cons How much am i looking to spend on this, What guitar magazines did a review ? Besides The three pickups, is it a true custom les paul?

:
: Okay, first off the cost, its $780 at Musicians Friend. To answer your other yes no question, it is custom. If you want to look like Ace Frehley, buy this one. Your right about the 3 pickups, I don't know if you know it has Dimarzio pickups, not Gibson Hummies. They also have custom hardware, inlays, tuners, and headstock. Also I would like to ask you whether you are talking Epiphone or Gibson here. Epiphone I believe is the only producer of the guitar. If Gibson made one, I haven't seen it, and it would probably be in the ballpark of $3,800, thats if they made one. Now I haven't seen a review of it, since it is made by a Korean maker, and they usually don't review Epiphones. Now I will give a few suggestions. First, if you are not the #1 Kiss fan on the planet, and you are buying the guitar for quality purposes, don't buy it. It has the diehards in mind, when making this one. Now I will give a few Epiphone 3 pickup guitars. First off, the LP Black beauty, ironically right next to the Ace Frehley one in the catalog. This guitar has gold hardware, nice black color, and has a nice 3 pickup sound, for $160 less. The G-400 is a custom Sg with 3 pickups, but I heard its on the cheappy side. Also if you want a Gibson type guitar, and are willing to pay upwards of $800, go for the real thing man. Go for a Sg special, or an Lp special, or even an Lp junior. I'm talking Gibsons, because between that and Danelectro's, those are the only electric guitars I buy. If you want to go another way, thats alright to. I don't what else you have in mind, and also your style, so I can't elaborate.

First of all it depends on "what do you want"??? if its a Gibson then buy the LP "Custom" three pickups the older the model, the better the sound ,BUT!
what type of sound do you want is also important, the price here varies, from $1200 up....
The bottom line "Your Choice"...

We have a Ace Frehley Doll in prestine condition how much are they worth now in the day? please message us back at Charlene.Rankin@kmail.com.au

:

:

i have got a real one,not a stupid epiphone

i have been a fan of ace since the 70's. about 1 yr ago a purchased a gibson les paul ace frehley signature model.the guitar cost me $3800.00 dollars
all i can say if you like ace you have got to have the weapon.i have seen kiss 3 times on the farewell tour
and there is nothing like seeing your ax in the masters hand.this guitar is beautiful mine came through without a pickguard because the top of this guitar is awesome, from start to finish a top quality instrument.sound ? well let me say this,when i got this guitar i was using a crate full stack,awesome guitar ok sound.about 2 weeks ago i picked up a marshall dsl 100 full tube amp between the 2 of them i can now say. i now have the ultimate sound.THIS GUITAR KICKS ASS IS THERE A DOUBT IN ANYONES MIND? forget the epiphone SPEND THE MONEY AND GET THE ULTIMATE WEAPON, IF YOU PLAY ACE USE THE RIGHT TOOLS DONT SETTLE........
EDDIE VAN HALEN CAN KISS MY ASS, ACE RULES

Re: i have got a real one,not a stupid epiphone

I am looking for an Ace custom shop issue to purchase. Must have the serial # of Ace ### etc. Please e-mail me if you know where one is available in mint or near mint condition.

:

:
Gibson DOES make a version of this guitar. It will run you about $4000.00

I bought this guitar because when I picked it up I was floored.the action was a dream,the tonal variety outstanding,and the cosmetics first class all the way.Epiphone also makes a cheaper version of this guitar,but the Gibson edition is an exact duplicate of Ace's complete with Dimarzio Super distortion and 2 megadrives.Its a bank buster at $3,999.99, but out of the 4 Les Pauls I own it is by far the best.I had the ace face painted over by a local luthier(thought it sucked,only thing I didn't like about the guitar)but other than that it is stock.I'm not the world's biggest Kiss fan,I bought it because of its quality and playability.Gibson rocked the house on this one.

: I bought this guitar because when I picked it up I was floored.the action was a dream,the tonal variety outstanding,and the cosmetics first class all the way.Epiphone also makes a cheaper version of this guitar,but the Gibson edition is an exact duplicate of Ace's complete with Dimarzio Super distortion and 2 megadrives.Its a bank buster at $3,999.99, but out of the 4 Les Pauls I own it is by far the best.I had the ace face painted over by a local luthier(thought it sucked,only thing I didn't like about the guitar)but other than that it is stock.I'm not the world's biggest Kiss fan,I bought it because of its quality and playability.Gibson rocked the house on this one.

dude, those arent megadrives, i dont know what they are but they sure aint megadrives

Just bought the real thing!!!!!! Can't wait!

I just bought a "real" one (Gibson) for $2699. It was actually the only unused new one I could
find in all the Sam Ash stores in the U.S. I always wanted a LP and I hear this one is a hot rod.
I already have the strat of strats in my opinion the Voodoo Strat and a Jackson and I always
wanted a LP. Already Ace was always one of my mentors (1977-) and you didn't have to
twist my arm to buy this one.
at that price.

Finally figured this out - my

Zucht. En ik heb al zo'n last van frequent lozen van flatus en RSI. http://www.buy-development-tool.narod.ru/

What?, don't they know who we are?

This is a very influential speculative novel of http://www.cureage.com/arthritis/arthritis-relief.html

it tells me i don't have

For some reason, http://findgames.freewebpage.org/

PLease, how Can i download.

Finally figured this out - my http://findgames.freewebpage.org/

Hehe, ik dacht ook meteen aan dat beetje invloed op

What?, don't they know who we are? http://www.myremed.com/asthma/asthma-scholarships.html

freaking BS, I enjoyed the IP

This is a very influential speculative novel of http://mac-os-education-school.webeve.com/morse-mania.html

Tubescreamer Alternatives?

Hey all. I'm new to this site. I read down the page a bit and you seem like a knowledgeable bunch. Here's the question...

I've come to love the sound you get when you run a really hot signal through an amp's clean channel...vs. using a distortion channel. Right now I have some pedals that are working, but my rig includes a compressor...just to beef the signal a bit. I'm not at all a fan of compression, so I was wondering what pedals are out there (NOT SOLID STATE) that are tube driven and would beef the crap out of my tone. I've looked into the Ibanez TS808, but they're tough to find.

So the question...any suggestions as to other tube-containing pedals that I might be able to pick up? Has anyone used the one that Snarling Dog makes? Thanks.

Re: Tubescreamer Alternatives?

: Hey all. I'm new to this site. I read down the page a bit and you seem like a knowledgeable bunch. Here's the question...

: I've come to love the sound you get when you run a really hot signal through an amp's clean channel...vs. using a distortion channel. Right now I have some pedals that are working, but my rig includes a compressor...just to beef the signal a bit. I'm not at all a fan of compression, so I was wondering what pedals are out there (NOT SOLID STATE) that are tube driven and would beef the crap out of my tone. I've looked into the Ibanez TS808, but they're tough to find.

: So the question...any suggestions as to other tube-containing pedals that I might be able to pick up? Has anyone used the one that Snarling Dog makes? Thanks.

I usually make recommendations about solid state pedals, because there are more of them on the market, they are more affordable, and thats what I use. I also use old analog effects that sound tube driven, but not what you are looking for. I found a really cool all-tube distortion lately, but I'm not going to buy it. I'm not paying $270 for a distortion, but I thought with your dilemma, you would do anything for the sound. This is what I saw, it was a Budda Phat-man Tube distortion. It uses a 12AX7 I think, I didn't take a good look at it, but it sounds amazing. Thats as close as you get to the real thing. I do highly recommend a Sansamp Gt2 amp simulator. I use this thing constantly, and really rocks. It digitally simulates tube sounds, through my amp, and it very versatile.

I know you said you were looking fot a tube pedal, but have you tried out the fulldrive2, by fulltone? I think it's the best sounding overdrive I've heard. Check it out at www.fulltone.com. I'm throwing my ts-9 away. The other pedal that I use is a mesa boogie v twin. It's got 2 12 ax7's in it. I use it for more of a hard rock type sound but it does have 2 channels. The only problem is that you cant set the levels for both channels seperately. There's also the maxon od808 and some guy named analog Mike that does tube screamer mods, but I havent heard either of these yet.

: Hey all. I'm new to this site. I read down the page a bit and you seem like a knowledgeable bunch. Here's the question...

: I've come to love the sound you get when you run a really hot signal through an amp's clean channel...vs. using a distortion channel. Right now I have some pedals that are working, but my rig includes a compressor...just to beef the signal a bit. I'm not at all a fan of compression, so I was wondering what pedals are out there (NOT SOLID STATE) that are tube driven and would beef the crap out of my tone. I've looked into the Ibanez TS808, but they're tough to find.

: So the question...any suggestions as to other tube-containing pedals that I might be able to pick up? Has anyone used the one that Snarling Dog makes? Thanks.
Reply: Check-Out:http://www.siegmundguitars.com/
Chris Siegmund is a Really Awesome Human Being and As A Luithier,& An Amplifier Builder,he also has a Real N.O.S. Mullard Tube and his own circuitey designed Box that's well worth the $199.00 + Shipping Costs.50db max.boost,you have 3 knobs to shape amount of Drive or over drive-boost,and tonal e.q.and it's hard-wired,and comes with a chord hard-wired outta the rear.It's More if Not Eaqual to the Centaur that is like twice the $ if you can find one and who knows how long the list is even if thier still in bussiness.
I do the same as you.I hate compression unless I'm in a Band that we've got a Kick-Booty Sound system then and only then,between you and both front & rear sound engineers of the house so to speak know what there doing as far as the type of mic' and it's placement can Compression be really properly used in live applications.Recording Studio's are where compression excells. Well at least from my experiences.I suggest that you take a look at it at least.It's Purely Tube-Tone Expanded and will take you over the edge as you have control of it's compression. A BBE maximizer also is another way of running a compressed sound and expanding it,actually in a reverse situation as youre dilemai is. I wish you all The Best in Your Tonal Quest!Rock~On! Kenny Gordon,Lead,Rhythem,Bass,Acoustic-Guitars,Keys for:"The 2nd Axe" Classic Rock,Blues & Originals too!Have a Happy Easter/Pass-Over Holy Holiday also! Karma's a wonderfull thing!

gibson 325

Hi, I own a Gibson 325 with what appears to be walnut wood constuction and have been unable to find ANY info on this Gibson bastard child. If anyone can help me get an idea of year and value or any other info I would really appreciate it. Please email me at cstetz@prodigy.net, THANKS

Gituar course

After 20 years I would like to learn to play again. Can anyone suggest a good home or computer course for me.

Re: Gituar course

like to learn to play. Can anyone suggest a good home or computer course for me.

: like to learn to play. Can anyone suggest a good home or computer course for me. And how much would it cost

I like neoclassical guitar solo very much, but after a few years i just can play a little bit good, but i want to be better.
I wonder if you can tell me anything about playing neoclassical guitar soloing and perhaps you can send some of your tabs and chord of it(as many as you can).

Focus guitars by Kramer

I found a Focus guitar by Kramer at an incredably low price and was wondering if theyt are good guitars

Re: Focus guitars by Kramer

: I found a Focus guitar by Kramer at an incredably low price and was wondering if theyt are good guitars

You weren't seeing things, they are very inexpensive, but they are incredibly crappy. The original Kramers were a piece of shit, but these are actually worse. They are made of cheap Plywood, and I think a maple neck. But the worst thing is that the pickups sound like mud. I have a Danelectro, and these things are cheap korean imports also, but the difference is that they have cool retro, lipstick pickups (like the neck pickup on a tele). To me if your going to pay nothing for a guitar, buy the Dano. If you really want to buy an "S" type guitar, buy a Squier, the new ones actully look nice. Don't buy a Kramer

: : I found a Focus guitar by Kramer at an incredably low price and was wondering if theyt are good guitars

: You weren't seeing things, they are very inexpensive, but they are incredibly crappy. The original Kramers were a piece of shit, but these are actually worse. They are made of cheap Plywood, and I think a maple neck. But the worst thing is that the pickups sound like mud. I have a Danelectro, and these things are cheap korean imports also, but the difference is that they have cool retro, lipstick pickups (like the neck pickup on a tele). To me if your going to pay nothing for a guitar, buy the Dano. If you really want to buy an "S" type guitar, buy a Squier, the new ones actully look nice. Don't buy a Kramer
if you think the old kramers are crappy than you dont know shit

: : : I found a Focus guitar by Kramer at an incredably low price and was wondering if theyt are good guitars

: : You weren't seeing things, they are very inexpensive, but they are incredibly crappy. The original Kramers were a piece of shit, but these are actually worse. They are made of cheap Plywood, and I think a maple neck. But the worst thing is that the pickups sound like mud. I have a Danelectro, and these things are cheap korean imports also, but the difference is that they have cool retro, lipstick pickups (like the neck pickup on a tele). To me if your going to pay nothing for a guitar, buy the Dano. If you really want to buy an "S" type guitar, buy a Squier, the new ones actully look nice. Don't buy a Kramer
: if you think the old kramers are crappy than you dont know shit

IF YOU THINK OLD KRAMERS ARE A PIECE OF S*&T THAN IT GOES TO SHOW HOW MUCH YOU KNOW!!!!!! DAN ELECTRO, YEH, THAT'S A GOOD ONE!!!! GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS AND GET A CLUE!!!!!!!!

Actually Kramer Electric Focus guitars are not that shitty. KoRn actually used one on there last tour. Besides Those Guitars Are Worth Alot

yo these guys don't know what they are saying the new kramer guitar is awsome, it's not the materials that count it's how you put them together, and the neck is amazing

: I found a Focus guitar by Kramer at an incredably low price and was wondering if theyt are good guitars

Anybody that tells you the Old Kramers were shit doesn't know his butt from a hole in the wall. Certain Korean-made Strikers and the like weren't all that good, but the American made guitars were second to none!!!!

: : I found a Focus guitar by Kramer at an incredably low price and was wondering if theyt are good guitars
YES they are I own one and I payed 69.00 for it and it the best guitar I ever owned.
:
: Anybody that tells you the Old Kramers were shit doesn't know his butt from a hole in the wall. Certain Korean-made Strikers and the like weren't all that good, but the American made guitars were second to none!!!!

is kramer still in business?

does kramer still make guitars? i heard they do but they make ones that are not as high quality as before.

Picking Technique

I've been playing guitar for a bit over two years now.. and im starting to improve alot... one thing i find is off, is my picking technique.. i was told by an old teacher that the best way to pick(for speed) is with the wrist motionless and moving from the forearm, this is the way i pick now, and i can get some speed with it...

however, a lot of articles i read say that the picking action should come from the wrist with the arm motionless...

i wanted to know which way is better? and why? and should i change???

Re: Picking Technique

As far as I know and have experienced myself, the best way for speed picking is to move your wrist and not your arm.
Your forearm is much longer and heavier than your hand. If you move your forearm you will need more energy than for just moving your hand. Since the hand is much smaller the movement can also be a lot more precise. Just try it and always practise with a metronome. Start slow and gradually speed up. That´s the best way to become more precise and faster.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.