Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - May, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I haven't heard anything quite like it

Have you checked out sounds of Listen yet?

http://www.listenhome.com

USA tour

3 English musos travelling from Memphis to New Orleans early june anybody recommend places, clubs to see
like to see local musos in action

new marshall stack

I got a new marshall half stack this weekend, and I love it. I was originally going to plug my OLD zoom 9030 effects box into it, through the "clean" channel. But I got a little tiny sound out of the stack, and going straight into the head using the "stock" gain, it has a great, HUGE sound. With that premise my question is, do ALL multieffects make the stack sound worse? ... or is it just the early 90s electronics in the zoom 9030? I was thinking about getting a Roland GT-3 muliteffects, but now I am hesitant! Should I shy away from multi effects or what? feedback appreciated by all.

Re: new marshall stack

I would plug the effects unit into the amps effects loop if it has one. This will bypass the Marshalls preamp and should sound a lot better.

Ben Jackson
http://www.bensnet.fsnet.co.uk

How do you become a studio guitarist?

How do you become a studio guitarist?

This popular thread has been given its own page : How do you become a studio guitarist?

precision bass wiring diagram

i am searching for the original precision bass wiring diagram. please , please send it to me

Re: precision bass wiring diagram

: i am searching for a Fender precision bass wiring diagram. please, if you could help a guy out, send it to me. Thanks

Re: fender mb-4 diagram

: : i am searching for a Fender mb-4 wiring diagram
it as a pbass pickup and jazz bass pickup...thanks

Need distortion advice!

I've tried out a whack of distortion pedals and nothing is cool.
Currently playing a US strat thru a 70's Twin Reverb.
The problem being is that this amp is mint clean. i also use a BOSS OD-3 which i love, but for a better distortion boost with awesome tone, what do i use!
Looking for a general, alternative sound.

Re: Need distortion advice!

: I've tried out a whack of distortion pedals and nothing is cool.
: Currently playing a US strat thru a 70's Twin Reverb.
: The problem being is that this amp is mint clean. i also use a BOSS OD-3 which i love, but for a better distortion boost with awesome tone, what do i use!
: Looking for a general, alternative sound.
I reccomend this to a lot of Alt players. Buy a Ratt pedal, these things sound cool. The first one I heard, came off a Foo Fighters record, and I have liked them ever since. Try it out

CBS Masterworks Bass

I have a CBS Masterworks bass guitar. I purchased it off of a friend in Toronto in 1973 for $190. It has the exact same dimensions as a 1970 Fender Jazz bass, except on the head it says CBS Masterworks. I can't find any info on this guitar anywhere and would appreciate any input you have.
Thanks

Barry

missing sound

I have a telecaster & a Fender ultra chorus, but I want to know what to set my knobs at to achieve today's country lead guitar sound. The sound that comes to mind is either Merle Haggards guitarists or Alan Jackson's. It's hard to describe the sound, but if you think you know what I'm talking about, please let me know. thanks

Re: missing sound

If you're talking about guys like Brent Mason then here's how I achieve a similar sound using my pod.

I use my bridge pickup and select one of the Class A amp models such as a fender twin.

Then set the sound clean so it only breaks up if you really hammer the strings, add a short slapback delay and some compression to even out the attack then maybe a bit of reverb.

Good luck.

Ben Jackson
http://www.bensnet.fsnet.co.uk

Recording

Hi everyone,I have a quick question maybe someone can
help me out with.I'm looking for a good,inexpensive
software package that will allow me to record some rough"sketch-pad"ideas on guitar without alot of fuss.
I,m no genius when it comes to computers so the easier
the better.I'm not into midi,sounds lame to my ears.Thanx for your time.

Re: Recording

if you are just getting down ideas and want ease of use, just buy an inexpensive cassette 4 track. They are easy to use. Fostex and Tascam both have cheapies.

Re: Recording

You could go for the TASCAM 4-channel recorder, like he said, but it's around $500. I'd suggest a program like CakeWalk 7.0 Studio. I've got a copy of it, and I love it. You don't have to worry about MIDI, you can just record audio onto as many tracks as you wish, and can mix them all down.

music theory

I just took my first guitar lesson last night and I am stoked.
However, I suspect my teacher has a tendency to blow through discussions of music theory way too fast. I got this feeling when he was aplogizing for/explaining the importance of basic chord and scale practice. "The building blocks of a solid playing style, etc..."

While I am convinced that his logic is sound and his approach effective, his explanation was convoluted. Even upon asking for clarification, I gained only slightly more understanding.

My question is this: How can I gain a beginner's level understanding of theory so the language he uses doesn't go right over my head when he loses himself in his enthusiasm?

Re: music theory

: I just took my first guitar lesson last night and I am stoked.
: However, I suspect my teacher has a tendency to blow through discussions of music theory way too fast. I got this feeling when he was aplogizing for/explaining the importance of basic chord and scale practice. "The building blocks of a solid playing style, etc..."

: While I am convinced that his logic is sound and his approach effective, his explanation was convoluted. Even upon asking for clarification, I gained only slightly more understanding.
Buy some sort of theory book, and maybe if there is a thesauras of music terms, buy that too. Or simple ask him to talk in simpler terms. Hang tough, the first couple of years could be frustrating. You aren't playing what you want, and you stuck doing homework, but it pays off. Learn as much as you could about thoery, different styles of music, and most importently practice.
: My question is this: How can I gain a beginner's level understanding of theory so the language he uses doesn't go right over my head when he loses himself in his enthusiasm?

Re: music theory

if you're from the US, the theory books by Bruce Benward are extremely easy to read and cover everything you need to know.

if you're "separated by a common language" (ie. england or australia, etc), i recommend The ABC's of Music" by imogen holst (daughter of composer gustav holst, i'm told).

many musical terms are different depending on which language (english or english) you speak.

guitar for sale possible

i got a 64 or 65 vox 12 string electric sunburst teardrop ,with awammy bar can some body please let me know what it might be worth you can go to billymarquis.com then scrapbook and a picture of the ax is there ,, need help thanks billy marquis

Message Posting is Working Again!

Unfortunately it wasn't possible to post messages to this
discussion page for a few days but we have fixed the problem
and you can now begin posting again!

Anyone ever heard of Hudson basses?

My wife plays an old Hudson P-bass and we don't Know anything about it.

Fender Deville

What's a good price for a new 4x10 Fender Deville? I was recently quoted 625. I love the sound of this amp, but have little experience with it. Any others that have used a Deville, I would appreciate comments/feedback....

Joe

Re: Fender Deville

: What's a good price for a new 4x10 Fender Deville? I was recently quoted 625. I love the sound of this amp, but have little experience with it. Any others that have used a Deville, I would appreciate comments/feedback....

: Joe

Thats a bargain!! I see them for like $730, that is a very good deal, go for it!!

Re: Fender Deville

: What's a good price for a new 4x10 Fender Deville? I was recently quoted 625. I love the sound of this amp, but have little experience with it. Any others that have used a Deville, I would appreciate comments/feedback....THATS A GREAT PRICE...I HAVE A 410 DEVILLE....ITS A GREAT AMP...I PAID $750 LAST YEAR FOR IT....GREAT AMP FOR THE PRICE...I USE IT MORE THEN MY VOX AC-30..WHICH COST TWICE WHAT I PAID FOR THE FENDER....BUT I'M A RICKENBACKER NUT AND I HAD TO HAVE A VOX....GOOD LUCK WITH THE FENDER!

: Joe

strat

how much is metallic blue 1991 fender strat plus worth?

I have the Fender Strat Plus Deluxe

: how much is metallic blue 1991 fender strat plus worth?

Dude, I just bought the Deluxe Version. I've been trying to find the price of it on the internet all day. So If you find anything out, let me know.

Re: strat

: how much is metallic blue 1991 fender strat plus worth?

hey, funny thing I think I bought the exact same guitar as you, and as well i've been trying to find a pic but its impossible. Anyway I contacted some dude at fender and this is some info i've found.

Rob-

That sounds like a 1991 U.S. Strat Ultra. There is a spec sheet included below.

Thanks again,

John Willis
Consumer Relations

MODEL NAME: U.S. Strat Ultra
MODEL NUMBER: 110-9800-(Color#)
NECK: Maple
BODY:Alder with Highly Figured Maple Top and Back
FINGERBOARD: Ebony with Mother of Pearl Dot Inlays (9.5” Radius/241 mm), Medium Jumbo Frets
NO. OF FRETS: 22
SCALE LENGTH: 25.5” (648 mm)
WIDTH AT NUT: LSR Roller Nut, 1.6875” (43 mm)
HARDWARE: Chrome
MACHINE HEADS: Polished Fender Locking Keys
BRIDGE: Fender Floyd Rose Tremolo
PICKGUARD: White Pearloid
PICKUPS: Blue Lace Sensor (Neck), Gold Lace Sensor (Mid), Dual Red (Bridge)
PICKUP SWITCHING: Special 5 Position Blade with3 Position Bridge Pickup Selector
CONTROLS: Master Volume, Tone (Neck), TBX (Mid & Bridge)
COLORS: (806) Black, (828) Crimson Burst, (836) Blue Burst, (837) Antique Burst
STRINGS: Fender Super 250L’s (.009 to .042) Nickel Plated Steel pn#073-0250-003
SOURCE: U.S.
U.S. MSRP: $1,799.99
ACCESSORIES: Ultra Molded Case, Strap, Cable
INTRODUCED: 1990
DISCONTINUED: 7/1998

Line6 POD/delay...........help?

First of all I wanted to get the delay effect. So I figured that I had to get a delay pedal. Recently, I wanted to get a Line6 POD because it had many effects on it. It looks like one of the effects is delay. I heard that you can store sounds/settings on the Line6.

So my first question: Is the delay effect of the Line6 POD the same as the delay effect of a delay pedal?

My second question: Is there a pedal or some kind of device that can switch between stored sounds/settings on the Line6 while playing???

Re: Line6 POD/delay...........help?

: First of all I wanted to get the delay effect. So I figured that I had to get a delay pedal. Recently, I wanted to get a Line6 POD because it had many effects on it. It looks like one of the effects is delay. I heard that you can store sounds/settings on the Line6.
:
: So my first question: Is the delay effect of the Line6 POD the same as the delay effect of a delay pedal?
:
: My second question: Is there a pedal or some kind of device that can switch between stored sounds/settings on the Line6 while playing???

First off, if you really want delay from Line6, they came up with a Delay Modulator $270, which has all the delay you want. Yes it does have the delay of regular stomp box. If you are intent on the POD, I know what you need. For like $230 Line6 makes a Floorboard, kinda like midi controller, which you could control your effects with. Why don't you just buy a regular effects-processor, for a fraction of that. You will be paying in inxs of $500 for the POD, and the floorboard. For $260 you could get a KORG Ax1000G, which is pretty cool, or a Boss Gt3 for like $380. Both will give you more than the pod, a little less confusing, and cost a fraction

Re: Line6 POD/delay...........help?

The pod is not meant to be an effects box, I just bought the pod pro and the floorboard and I LOVE THEM TO DEATH
but it all depends on what you need. If you JUST wanted delay then buy a nice boss dd-5 digital delay
one of the best delays around with tons of settings. If you want to emulate wsome amp tones and direct record
buy the pod, the the pod is definatly not meant to be a delay box only :)

The pod can save settings, you can save anything within a patch all the different delay settings. With the floorboard
you can turn delay on or off of a certain effect individually. You can set the tempo or spped for the delay
by hitting (or steping on the floorboard) the tap button, or by saving the delay time in the patch.
Any other questions on the pod write to me :)
THanks
Chris

: : First of all I wanted to get the delay effect. So I figured that I had to get a delay pedal. Recently, I wanted to get a Line6 POD because it had many effects on it. It looks like one of the effects is delay. I heard that you can store sounds/settings on the Line6.
: :
: : So my first question: Is the delay effect of the Line6 POD the same as the delay effect of a delay pedal?
: :
: : My second question: Is there a pedal or some kind of device that can switch between stored sounds/settings on the Line6 while playing???

:
: First off, if you really want delay from Line6, they came up with a Delay Modulator $270, which has all the delay you want. Yes it does have the delay of regular stomp box. If you are intent on the POD, I know what you need. For like $230 Line6 makes a Floorboard, kinda like midi controller, which you could control your effects with. Why don't you just buy a regular effects-processor, for a fraction of that. You will be paying in inxs of $500 for the POD, and the floorboard. For $260 you could get a KORG Ax1000G, which is pretty cool, or a Boss Gt3 for like $380. Both will give you more than the pod, a little less confusing, and cost a fraction

If you could have any Guitar You wanted, and as many guitars as you wanted, what guitars would you o

[The body of this post has been reconstituted from replies so it may differ from what was originally written.]

If you could have any Guitar You wanted, and as many guitars as you wanted, what guitars would you own?
I have a 1984 Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez JS2000, and an Ibanez JS100.

Re: If you could have any Guitar You wanted, and as many guitars as you wanted, what guitars would y

Just off the top of my head...

Id want a Jackson Soloist modified so it has a sustainer system... and a normal soloist.. a Jackson PC1...

A Gibson Les Paul Custom, A Fender Fat Strat with all the perks.. SOme PRS's a nice ESP Kirk Hammet model, a Hetfield one too...

THERE ARE SOOO MANY I WANT!!!

Re: If you could have any Guitar You wanted, and as many guitars as you wanted, what guitars would y

[The body of this post has been lost]

G'day bloke's and sheila's,
Greetings from down under.
If you are interested in a factoring a transaction on a 1936 martin guitar, model 018 then
read on:
Owner has had for 18 years and has decided to sell if the price is right. So it's up to you
good folks to sharpen your pencil's, check out the aussie dollar exchange rates and get back to me.
The instrument sounds as sweet as, the condition is only slight wear, the machine heads have been
changed and it's still gigging. "all around the water tank, waiting for a train"
I can see an alternative lifestyle coming up for the new owner and hopefully we can aid and abet that concept.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Yours musically,
'macthunder' down under

well id have to have a gretsch white falcon
a '61 re-issue gibson SG (red of course)
a fender jaguar (pre cbs)
a fender stratocaster (white with the bridge pickup replace with a humbucker)
a gibson les paul (silverburst)
and last but not least a gibson explorer (black)

i would have a fender tele or a yemaha sg or gibson sg and a martin accostic or a white falcon or country gental man thats my dream guitat

HOW DO I WRAP MY PICKUP?

a friend told me i could wrap my pickups with more copper wire to make them hotter. how do you do this?what tools do you need? thnx anyone who can help :)

Re: HOW DO I WRAP MY PICKUP?

you cannot ADD copper wire to an existing pickup, what you need to do is remove all the old wire and rewind the pickup with more coils of wire, over winding the bobbin makes them hotter (all other things being equal).

I'm not an expert but I know the theory behind pickup winding by reading books. Try a trip over to the Ask the Pickup Makers Forum at
: http://venus.beseen.com/boardroom/s/26921/
: The dudes that hang there are Pickup nuts and are straight shooters too boot, they should be able to offer useful advice.

: Chris
: http://www.1800instruments.com
: Australia's On-Line Guitar Shop
: a friend told me i could wrap my pickups with more copper wire to make them hotter. how do you do this?what tools do you need? thnx anyone who can help :)

Re: HOW DO I WRAP MY PICKUP?

: a friend told me i could wrap my pickups with more copper wire to make them hotter. how do you do this?what tools do you need? thnx anyone who can help :)

Take this advice from someone who knows.
Unless you are an expert don't mess with your guitar.
The risk of headaches isn't worth it.
Save up your pennies and get a set of Seymour Duncan's or Kinman's or Di-Marzios or whatever but leave that sort of stuff to the experts.

effects loops sequences (in what order should everything go?j involving a rack processor and several

I've got a Digitech 2120, a Roland JC120, Korg rackmount tuner, BBE 362 sonic maximizer, Boss EQ pedal, tube screamer, Wah, and rotovibe. How do I set it up to get little noise, and no distortion in my signal?

Re: effects loops sequences (in what order should everything go?j involving a rack processor and sev

: I've got a Digitech 2120, a Roland JC120, Korg rackmount tuner, BBE 362 sonic maximizer, Boss EQ pedal, tube screamer, Wah, and rotovibe. How do I set it up to get little noise, and no distortion in my signal?

The more links in the chain, the weaker the chain is - meaning that you don't have to have all of that at the same time.
Decide which you want: the Digitech or the TubeScreamer and EQ. The 2120 has tube distortion and EQ, so unless you are getting a totally unique and definable sound using both pedals and rack, I would say drop the pedals or keep them only as backups (an A/B switch is great for this situation).
Also make sure your Input volume on the 2120 isn't cranked too high - if you distort or peak going in to the unit then you'll distort on clean settings.
If you are using the 2120 only for its effects (Chorus, Flange, etc) then run the TS into the EQ, then into the F/X Return of the 2120, then into the Wah and Roto, then run the 2120 Output to the amp or into the BBE then into the amp.
Preamp effects go first (EQ, Distortions, etc) with specialty effects (Wah) next, and then to the amp.

Im a beginner guitarrist and im learning to fast, i got 6 pedals can you tellme how is the best orde

I dont have to much money to have a big processor or something like that so most of my equipment is cheap
i got a IBANEZ CHORUS AND FLANGER, IBANEZ TRASHMETAL, IBANEZ CLASSICMETAL, IBANEZ ECHO MACHINE, IBANEZ PHASER AND A PROEL WAH-WAH , CAN YOU TELLME IN WHAT ORDER I CAN PUT THEM TO SOUND BETTER? THANK YOU . WRITE ME PLEASE

Pick-ups for SG's

Can someone possibly recommend some pick-ups for an Epiphone SG for me?

Re: Pick-ups for SG's

: Can someone possibly recommend some pick-ups for an Epiphone SG for me?

I have a Gibson Explorer, and I'm going to put in some Dimarzio Air classics into it soon. I like Dimarzio's they are very good. You should check them out. I would recommend a couple PAF's for your SG, it would really make it sound Gibson like

I've been a dedicated Seymour Duncan user for the last 7 years or so...For an SG or other guitar using a couple of humbuckers, I would HIGHLY recommend the Alnico II and Model '59. I just tossed a couple of those bad boys into my ES-335 style guitar, and BOY do they shred. Really hot, screaming, in fact...full tone....price was not bad...I get pumped up just thinking about them....WOO!!!!

Just my two cents...

Matt try a trip over to the Ask the Pickup Makers Forum at
http://venus.beseen.com/boardroom/s/26921/
The dudes that hang there are Pickup nuts and are straight shooters too boot, they should be able to offer useful advice.

Chris
http://www.1800instruments.com
Australia's On-Line Guitar Shop

Aria Pro II - TS500

Aria Pro II - TS500

This popular thread has been given its own page : Aria Pro II - TS500

Powertracks

If you are looking for a Sequencer, check out PGMusic's PowerTracks. I just found some real cool .dll s, an AWE editor, guitar tuner, and a lot of value for $29.95. If you are considering Cakewalk for Guitar, check this one out first, you might be impressed with the amount of bang for the buck.

i just bought my 1st guitar and need help

Hey

I just bought my first guitar(Takamine EG-230)and whenever i play the low e string on like the 5th fret it seems to make a buzzing noise. the same thing happens when i strum the high pitched e on the 2nd fret. I not sure if this is normal or if their is something wrong w/my guitar. Iknow it's not a tuning problem though because i have an electronic tuner although it says that its off on those two chords for a weird reason although it says the open string for each chord is right. Please reply if anyone has advice. thanx

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2018 , All Rights Reserved.