Info on a late 70s Fender F55-12

Posted by Lance on Sun, 01/04/04 - 17:07:02.

hi...My Momma bought this for me for my 16th or 17th birthday..brand new. I have tried to find some info about it, like place of manufacter (it has the cut out 'V' at the tip of the headstock, which means, I am told, it is a Japanese model). Itried to date it with the seial number, but no luck (Ithink it's a 79). Does anyone know where I can find some info on it? I believe it is a 79, or even an 80. That time of my life is a bit blurry. Any help would be appreciated. I sanded the saddle down a bit in the early 80s and learned to play it like a banjo...and it STILL is my favorite guitar in my collection.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Info on a late 70s Fender F55-12

I have a Fender F55-12 that my dad passed down to me. It's still nearly brand new, except for a Fishman we added some years back.

Unfortunately there are no new good Fender acoustics anymore, so the old Japanese and American guitars seem to get a bit of attention these days.

Mine is a '77 model. You probably know this already, but if it helps, it is usually the first two numbers of the serial number that are the year the guitar was made, except for a few weird ones.

Easily the nicest guitar I have, and ever will have, even after all these years.

Fender f 55 12

I also have a Fender f55 12 1975 on the inside label. it has no serial number. Where was they built in 75. I have read that the early ones was supreme and built in Japan. This sounds amazing no electric's fitted , its as naked as the day it was made. I have strung it with lights and its tuned down a couple frets. Not a lot of strain showing on the top but I have owned it from new. Guitars are like babies they need love and care, Right temp and humid they pay you back. Guitar Site Aladdin's cave nice place to be . Thanks

Hi, just too let you know, i bought mine, brand new in 1976, in Ottawa, US models

The Fender F55-12 was produces in Asia from 1972-1980 and had a MSRP at that time of $270.00. It sold for about 3/4 of the MSRP price. It has a spruce top and Bubinga back and sides.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.