Aspen guitar

Posted by bob k on Mon, 01/24/05 - 20:34:42.

I have an Aspen acoustic guitar I bought in 1977 at Guitar center in San Diego. Who made them? Im sure it was a spinoff from a bigger name.
Thanks, bob

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Aspen guitar

Where is the serial number for these guitars located? I have an Aspen AD-18-12 and i can't find the production number.. i just want to know for no particular reason... :D

I also have an Aspen - it's a 12-string, model D28 12, cause I think it's a Martin Dreadnought 28 knockoff. Only thing is, it's much better! The sound is excellent, it frets like magic, and the tonality has improved with age (I've had it now since 1975 - the year it was made. The serial number on it is 58750616. I paid just over $175 for it brand spanking new, and it's going to be the guitar I have when I die.

my husband just bought an Aspen 12 String Acoustic at an antique shop. It needs strngs, but looks to be in good shape otherwise and has been autographed by Gary Stewart. As best I can tell from researching the internet, it's a Martin copy. Might have been marketed by the American Music Company, but I don't think the company is still in business. Looks to be late 70's, but would love to find a way to date it.. but can't find a site with any serial number information.

Aspen AD-15

Does anyone know how many Aspen ad - 15's were made? I can't find anything on the Internet about them. My fiancé gave me one and I just dropped it off to get a little work done to it. How does it compare to the Martin and what year were they made?

Aspen guitar

I have an Aspen ACE-600 guitar made in Japan. It is a dreadnought acoustic, and we were thinking thinking the CE stood for cutaway electric but this looks very much like the D28s. My father bought it used sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. Anybody have any info on this?

Aspen Guitars. Looking to Trade

Hi all. I am an Aspen fan, like most, I came across my frist (an AD-35) by chance in a used music shop. I now have a DR-35, two D-28s and a D-26R. I am interested in trading one of my D-28s for a D-28-12. If anyonehas any interest, please contact me and we can exchange photos and info.

Ad2812 I have one

Hey I have an Ad2812 shoot me an email!

Aspen D-28-12

I own one I have had since the 70's. Still plays & sounds great. Has been mostly in the original case all these years. I can send pix if you like. What kind of trade do you have in mind ?

Aspen AD2812 12-String Guitar

I got my Aspen AD2812 Guitar in 1975. I was very sick and my parents asked if there was anything I wanted. They couldn't afford it at the time but they got it. In all that time, and as many 12-string guitars I have played, I have yet to find one that is a clean and smooth sounding as the Aspen. This guitar I still have after all this time. I had a 6-string Alvarez tha came close but not quite. If you can get one, hold on to it.

Need Aspen Guitar companies address

Would someone out there please e-mail me the address for the Aspen Acoustic Guitar Company if you have it. Thanks, Mark A. Sanderson/ marksandersonmusicfansite@yahoo.com

Aspen 12 string guitar

I have an Aspen 12 string model 2812 that I bought new on 8/11/75 (I still have the original sales receipt) for 127.00,and I
paid another $40.00 for the hard case. The tag inside the guitar says it was made in Japan. It is still in mint condition, and,
like the other entries for Aspen, it sounds GREAT! I have owned two Gibson guitars and a few others including a Yamaha
folk guitar, and this is the only one I've kept thru the years.

I have an AD3512 but the serial number starts with a 6 where a lot of others start with a 3 (65760314). In any case, I've owned a couple Martin 12 string, played the D12-42 and currently own a Guild F512 and this Aspen sounds as good or better then they do. I don't know how they made the AD3512 but it's the best cheap acoustic I've ever played, period. I also own a bunch of Martin 6 string guitars including a D-45 Koa and the Aspen is right up there with them.

I have an Aspen AD-35 ("A" for Aspen, "D-35" for the Martin which it's a copy of) which I bought in 1978 for, I think, $125. I ordered it from a place in California. I can't recall the name of the place, but I'm pretty sure it's defunct now. I love the sound, and the look of the 3-piece rosewood back. The Grover tuners keep it in tune wonderfully. I've tried out a Martin D-35, and this guitar sounds much better. This was a relatively inexpensive guitar, but the company put quality materials into it. In case it helps, its serial number is 35761122.

for what its worth, i got my aspen from my father who i think bought it in the early 80s or late seventies. Its a ad15, I also own a martin and to tell you the truth if my house were burning down and I could save only one thing its this guitar. The tone is unreal, if I could i'd buy a hundred more just to have back ups in case something happened to the first 99.

ASPEN AD15

I have an ASPEN AD 15. Bought it in the early 70's. Needs new strings and I need help in picking out the right ones for it.
Any recommendations?

Aspen AD-30, Ser# 30760219. Hummingbird clone. I can't believe how nice this guitar plays. Action is nice. A real good fingerpicking guitar. Great shape. I think it's worth Grovers and a bone saddle and nut. I was looking for a beater and I got a keeper. See oneBuy it. Any more info out there? E-Mail

Aspen AD 30

I have this guitar and am interested in selling it! It has been signed by the lead guitarist from the band rehab. Mr.Doyle Williams. If you are interested in buying this guitar email me with an offer! Thanks

: Aspen AD-30, Ser# 30760219. Hummingbird clone. I can't believe how nice this guitar plays. Action is nice. A real good fingerpicking guitar. Great shape. I think it's worth Grovers and a bone saddle and nut. I was looking for a beater and I got a keeper. See oneBuy it. Any more info out there? E-Mail

Changed Nut and saddle to bone. put Gibson Grovers on. Had setup for 12's. The only thing this guitar lacks is the sustain a Gibson guitar has. decay time was compared to J-50

: I have an Aspen AD-35 ("A" for Aspen, "D-35" for the Martin which it's a copy of) which I bought in 1978 for, I think, $125. I ordered it from a place in California. I can't recall the name of the place, but I'm pretty sure it's defunct now. I love the sound, and the look of the 3-piece rosewood back. The Grover tuners keep it in tune wonderfully. I've tried out a Martin D-35, and this guitar sounds much better. This was a relatively inexpensive guitar, but the company put quality materials into it. In case it helps, its serial number is 35761122.

THIS IS A FOLLOW UP AS TO WHAT IS WRITTEN BEFORE CAPITAL TEXT.
I HAVE A ASPEN, MADE IN JAPAN, MODEL AD26-0 WITH A SERIAL NUMBER THAT READS 26780384, AND IT MADE ME WONDER IF THE 26 WAS THE MODEL, THE 78 WAS THE YEAR IT WAS MADE, WHICH LEFT IT WAS THE 384TH ONE MADE. AND I BELIEVE THIS IS HOW ASPEN RECORDED THEIR GUITARS, AS IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME, AND YOUR ABOVE AD35 CARRIES EXACTLY THE SAME FORMAT. SO, GOING BY THAT, IT WOULD OF BEEN MADE IN 1976 AND IT WOULD OF BEEN THE 1122nd AD35 MADE. MAYBE I AM WRONG, BUT THAT IS HOW IT APPEARS TO ME. COL SMART, AUSTRALIA

I have a Japan model AD2912. Bought it new in 1978, It's in new condition and I still have the original hard shell case which is like new as well. Its a 12 string and plays great, sounds wonderful.

I also have the AD2912 and got it brand new back in the 70's. I have yet to find a 12-stirng guitar that equals its' sound quality. When picking songs of Croche, John Denver and other acoustic greats it is equal. I got to play with John Denver once as I was very ill, thought to be terminal. We played "This Old Guitar", "Annie's Song" and "Grandma's Feather Bed". He commented on how well my guitar sounded, and just being nice how well I played. Being so sick I knew better. He may have had some problems later in life, but he was a great man.

So, with the memories and the sound, I still play and wouldn't trade it for anything. I say hold on to it.

I've had my AD-800 (made in japan) serial number 80750010 since I was 14 (1976). I won it in a contest at a local music store. It came with Grovers, spruce top with herringbone inlay. Rosewood neck with inlay on the sides and mother of pearl markers (looks like a Maltese Cross?). Headstock has an Aspen logo and leaf logo, both in pearl inlay.

Aspen Guitar

I have the exact same guitar- Aspen AD 800. I've had it since the early 80's, and got it second hand.

I bought an Aspen AD35, serial #35760679, in 1976 from Whittier Music, a defunct music stoe in Whittier, Ca. I still have it and enjoy it. Does anyone have info about the woods used in the guitar's constructin, or info on the company tht made it?

Since I have the same AD35 model, I can tell you that it has a spruce top and rosewood back and sides. I can't tell you what kind of spruce or whether it's Brazilian or Indian rosewood, but I'm guessing it's Indian rosewood because of the straight grain. I'm also guessing the neck is maple and the fretboard ebony, but I am not a wood expert by any means. Mine was ordered from a company in California. (See my earlier post for serial number, etc.)

: : I have an Aspen AD-35 ("A" for Aspen, "D-35" for the Martin which it's a copy of) which I bought in 1978 for, I think, $125. I ordered it from a place in California. I can't recall the name of the place, but I'm pretty sure it's defunct now. I love the sound, and the look of the 3-piece rosewood back. The Grover tuners keep it in tune wonderfully. I've tried out a Martin D-35, and this guitar sounds much better. This was a relatively inexpensive guitar, but the company put quality materials into it. In case it helps, its serial number is 35761122.

: THIS IS A FOLLOW UP AS TO WHAT IS WRITTEN BEFORE CAPITAL TEXT.
: I HAVE A ASPEN, MADE IN JAPAN, MODEL AD26-0 WITH A SERIAL NUMBER THAT READS 26780384, AND IT MADE ME WONDER IF THE 26 WAS THE MODEL, THE 78 WAS THE YEAR IT WAS MADE, WHICH LEFT IT WAS THE 384TH ONE MADE. AND I BELIEVE THIS IS HOW ASPEN RECORDED THEIR GUITARS, AS IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME, AND YOUR ABOVE AD35 CARRIES EXACTLY THE SAME FORMAT. SO, GOING BY THAT, IT WOULD OF BEEN MADE IN 1976 AND IT WOULD OF BEEN THE 1122nd AD35 MADE. MAYBE I AM WRONG, BUT THAT IS HOW IT APPEARS TO ME. COL SMART, AUSTRALIA

: : : I have an Aspen AD-35 ("A" for Aspen, "D-35" for the Martin which it's a copy of) which I bought in 1978 for, I think, $125. I ordered it from a place in California. I can't recall the name of the place, but I'm pretty sure it's defunct now. I love the sound, and the look of the 3-piece rosewood back. The Grover tuners keep it in tune wonderfully. I've tried out a Martin D-35, and this guitar sounds much better. This was a relatively inexpensive guitar, but the company put quality materials into it. In case it helps, its serial number is 35761122.

: : THIS IS A FOLLOW UP AS TO WHAT IS WRITTEN BEFORE CAPITAL TEXT.
: : I HAVE A ASPEN, MADE IN JAPAN, MODEL AD26-0 WITH A SERIAL NUMBER THAT READS 26780384, AND IT MADE ME WONDER IF THE 26 WAS THE MODEL, THE 78 WAS THE YEAR IT WAS MADE, WHICH LEFT IT WAS THE 384TH ONE MADE. AND I BELIEVE THIS IS HOW ASPEN RECORDED THEIR GUITARS, AS IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME, AND YOUR ABOVE AD35 CARRIES EXACTLY THE SAME FORMAT. SO, GOING BY THAT, IT WOULD OF BEEN MADE IN 1976 AND IT WOULD OF BEEN THE 1122nd AD35 MADE. MAYBE I AM WRONG, BUT THAT IS HOW IT APPEARS TO ME. COL SMART, AUSTRALIA

I also have an Aspen AD-35, also purchased in 1978. It always sounded great, with a high end ring & harmonics that would go on forever. Stays tuned great(love them gold grovers) However, it developed a buzz in a couple of frets so I had it gone over & the frets leveled, nut trimmed & now it plays as good as it sounds. I have no intention of ever letting go of it.

: : : I have an Aspen AD-35 ("A" for Aspen, "D-35" for the Martin which it's a copy of) which I bought in 1978 for, I think, $125. I ordered it from a place in California. I can't recall the name of the place, but I'm pretty sure it's defunct now. I love the sound, and the look of the 3-piece rosewood back. The Grover tuners keep it in tune wonderfully. I've tried out a Martin D-35, and this guitar sounds much better. This was a relatively inexpensive guitar, but the company put quality materials into it. In case it helps, its serial number is 35761122.

: : THIS IS A FOLLOW UP AS TO WHAT IS WRITTEN BEFORE CAPITAL TEXT.
: : I HAVE A ASPEN, MADE IN JAPAN, MODEL AD26-0 WITH A SERIAL NUMBER THAT READS 26780384, AND IT MADE ME WONDER IF THE 26 WAS THE MODEL, THE 78 WAS THE YEAR IT WAS MADE, WHICH LEFT IT WAS THE 384TH ONE MADE. AND I BELIEVE THIS IS HOW ASPEN RECORDED THEIR GUITARS, AS IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME, AND YOUR ABOVE AD35 CARRIES EXACTLY THE SAME FORMAT. SO, GOING BY THAT, IT WOULD OF BEEN MADE IN 1976 AND IT WOULD OF BEEN THE 1122nd AD35 MADE. MAYBE I AM WRONG, BUT THAT IS HOW IT APPEARS TO ME. COL SMART, AUSTRALIA

I believe you have the serial # format correct. I have a DR35 with a number of 35750407. I picked up the guitar in 1975, oh ....got my wife the same year!

: : : : I have an Aspen AD-35 ("A" for Aspen, "D-35" for the Martin which it's a copy of) which I bought in 1978 for, I think, $125. I ordered it from a place in California. I can't recall the name of the place, but I'm pretty sure it's defunct now. I love the sound, and the look of the 3-piece rosewood back. The Grover tuners keep it in tune wonderfully. I've tried out a Martin D-35, and this guitar sounds much better. This was a relatively inexpensive guitar, but the company put quality materials into it. In case it helps, its serial number is 35761122.

: : : THIS IS A FOLLOW UP AS TO WHAT IS WRITTEN BEFORE CAPITAL TEXT.
: : : I HAVE A ASPEN, MADE IN JAPAN, MODEL AD26-0 WITH A SERIAL NUMBER THAT READS 26780384, AND IT MADE ME WONDER IF THE 26 WAS THE MODEL, THE 78 WAS THE YEAR IT WAS MADE, WHICH LEFT IT WAS THE 384TH ONE MADE. AND I BELIEVE THIS IS HOW ASPEN RECORDED THEIR GUITARS, AS IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME, AND YOUR ABOVE AD35 CARRIES EXACTLY THE SAME FORMAT. SO, GOING BY THAT, IT WOULD OF BEEN MADE IN 1976 AND IT WOULD OF BEEN THE 1122nd AD35 MADE. MAYBE I AM WRONG, BUT THAT IS HOW IT APPEARS TO ME. COL SMART, AUSTRALIA

: I believe you have the serial # format correct. I have a DR35 with a number of 35750407. I picked up the guitar in 1975, oh ....got my wife the same year!
------------------------------
Posted Update April 2011

I also own the AD-35 ASPEN Guitar SR #35740641. I bought this guitar back in I believe 1978. It was my very first guitar that I was able to afford it's still very pretty and sounds great. For many years I have been trying to get information on these guitars. I would love to get more information about these guitar. Please feel free to Email me eacallo55@att.

Thank Ed

: : : : : I have an Aspen AD-35 ("A" for Aspen, "D-35" for the Martin which it's a copy of) which I bought in 1978 for, I think, $125. I ordered it from a place in California. I can't recall the name of the place, but I'm pretty sure it's defunct now. I love the sound, and the look of the 3-piece rosewood back. The Grover tuners keep it in tune wonderfully. I've tried out a Martin D-35, and this guitar sounds much better. This was a relatively inexpensive guitar, but the company put quality materials into it. In case it helps, its serial number is 35761122.

: : : : THIS IS A FOLLOW UP AS TO WHAT IS WRITTEN BEFORE CAPITAL TEXT.
: : : : I HAVE A ASPEN, MADE IN JAPAN, MODEL AD26-0 WITH A SERIAL NUMBER THAT READS 26780384, AND IT MADE ME WONDER IF THE 26 WAS THE MODEL, THE 78 WAS THE YEAR IT WAS MADE, WHICH LEFT IT WAS THE 384TH ONE MADE. AND I BELIEVE THIS IS HOW ASPEN RECORDED THEIR GUITARS, AS IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME, AND YOUR ABOVE AD35 CARRIES EXACTLY THE SAME FORMAT. SO, GOING BY THAT, IT WOULD OF BEEN MADE IN 1976 AND IT WOULD OF BEEN THE 1122nd AD35 MADE. MAYBE I AM WRONG, BUT THAT IS HOW IT APPEARS TO ME. COL SMART, AUSTRALIA

: : I believe you have the serial # format correct. I have a DR35 with a number of 35750407. I picked up the guitar in 1975, oh ....got my wife the same year!
: ------------------------------
: Posted Update April 2011

: I also own the AD-35 ASPEN Guitar SR #35740641. I bought this guitar back in I believe 1978. It was my very first guitar that I was able to afford it's still very pretty and sounds great. For many years I have been trying to get information on these guitars. I would love to get more information about these guitar. Please feel free to Email me eacallo55@att.net

: Thanks Ed

Followup From Ed

I bought this guitar new at a music store in Daly City CA. I believe that the back and sides are not solids. I do remember the sales person saying that back and sides are laminated indian rose wood. Still not sure if the top is solid spruce. My fretboard has the pearl inlays like you see on the Martin D-45's. Can anyone confirm if the top is solid spruce.

I would appreciate any information that anyone can provide.
eacallo55@att.net. Thanks, Ed

aspen guitar

I have a aspen ad 29-0 stamped made in japan, serial # 29774255. I havn`t been able to find any info about it. Can anyone give me any info on this guitar. Thanks for your help.

: : : : : : I have an Aspen AD-35 ("A" for Aspen, "D-35" for the Martin which it's a copy of) which I bought in 1978 for, I think, $125. I ordered it from a place in California. I can't recall the name of the place, but I'm pretty sure it's defunct now. I love the sound, and the look of the 3-piece rosewood back. The Grover tuners keep it in tune wonderfully. I've tried out a Martin D-35, and this guitar sounds much better. This was a relatively inexpensive guitar, but the company put quality materials into it. In case it helps, its serial number is 35761122.

: : : : : THIS IS A FOLLOW UP AS TO WHAT IS WRITTEN BEFORE CAPITAL TEXT.
: : : : : I HAVE A ASPEN, MADE IN JAPAN, MODEL AD26-0 WITH A SERIAL NUMBER THAT READS 26780384, AND IT MADE ME WONDER IF THE 26 WAS THE MODEL, THE 78 WAS THE YEAR IT WAS MADE, WHICH LEFT IT WAS THE 384TH ONE MADE. AND I BELIEVE THIS IS HOW ASPEN RECORDED THEIR GUITARS, AS IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME, AND YOUR ABOVE AD35 CARRIES EXACTLY THE SAME FORMAT. SO, GOING BY THAT, IT WOULD OF BEEN MADE IN 1976 AND IT WOULD OF BEEN THE 1122nd AD35 MADE. MAYBE I AM WRONG, BUT THAT IS HOW IT APPEARS TO ME. COL SMART, AUSTRALIA

: : : I believe you have the serial # format correct. I have a DR35 with a number of 35750407. I picked up the guitar in 1975, oh ....got my wife the same year!
: : ------------------------------
: : Posted Update April 2011

: : I also own the AD-35 ASPEN Guitar SR #35740641. I bought this guitar back in I believe 1978. It was my very first guitar that I was able to afford it's still very pretty and sounds great. For many years I have been trying to get information on these guitars. I would love to get more information about these guitar. Please feel free to Email me eacallo55@att.net

: : Thanks Ed

: Followup From Ed

: I bought this guitar new at a music store in Daly City CA. I believe that the back and sides are not solids. I do remember the sales person saying that back and sides are laminated indian rose wood. Still not sure if the top is solid spruce. My fretboard has the pearl inlays like you see on the Martin D-45's. Can anyone confirm if the top is solid spruce.

: I would appreciate any information that anyone can provide.
: eacallo55@att.net. Thanks, Ed

I followed the above formula for an Aspen I picked up from a friend of mine. It is a D18 made in 1975 #1205 if the recording is accurate. How can I find the original value and wood make-up?

: I own an Aspen A128 SE serial no 000133 it was bought for £100 at Grott Guitars in Newcastle on Tyne in the uk . I cant find any info other than it was made in Korea

: : I own an Aspen A128 SE serial no 000133 it was bought for £100 at Grott Guitars in Newcastle on Tyne in the uk . I cant find any info other than it was made in Korea

I own a Aspen guitar
A128S SERIAL 000133 light top dark sides and back.The tuners are made in west Germany real nice guitar plays good sounds good looks good. It says only use medium or light gauge strings ... international music company

I own a aspen A128S SERIAL 000133 light top dark sides and back herring bone nice tuners made in west Germany looks good plays great. international music company dont know where it was made

I own a aspen A128S SERIAL 000133 light top dark sides and back herring bone nice tuners made in west Germany looks good plays great. international music company dont know where it was made

Aspen guitar

I purchased a aspen a128s serial 000136 new in 1989 made in Korea .everyone that's played it says it's the best sounding guitar they have played and they all own very expensive guitars I concider myself lucky to get a good one . It was purchased in British Columdia , Canada

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.