Re: alvarez model 5051

Advertisement
Posted by Gary on Mon, 11/18/02 - 16:44:23.

I'm looking at a 1971 5051, at what seems to be a good price. However, it is not signed. Does that make a big difference?

: Francesca: The Alvarez 5051 could be valuable. If it is Alvarez made by Yairi and it is signed by him around !972-75, the guitar is probably in the $1,000 or close to it. If it has some imperfections, it could go less,let's say $800. If it needs full restoration, it can go as low as $400. But not less than that. Make sure you keep the label intact if you do restoration. Those were the first ones made my Kazuo Yairi himself without the help of apprentices. Good luck

: pepe

: : Francesca,
: : I bought one of these for my brother's birthday in 1982.He still plays it.Not much info on these guitars,even on the Alvarez website.At least 4 other persons/owners on that site's vintage message board are also wondering about this particular guitar.I would hold onto this axe if I were you,I saw Paul McCartney playing one on a televised Prince's Trust concert in the mid 1980s.He probably still owns it.You never know ,it might one day be worth quite a bit more than it originally cost.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

1971 Alvarez model 5051 Acoustic guitar

I have the above listed guitar in its original case the guitar is in excellent shape hardly ever played. Beautiful guitar. I would take 600 obo on it. if interested send me an email and I can send pics.

: I'm looking at a 1971 <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">5051</b>, at what seems to be a good price. However, it is not signed. Does that make a big difference?

: I too have a 5051. Mine is near mint, although I don't know how to date it. I too saw the Paul McCartney footage on YouTube. Mine has a saddle pickup, but no controls, so it may be an earlier model than the on that Paul used, which did look to have a volume knob. This is a very nice guitar, although is not really cutout for todays (2009) tonal and performance standards. I also own a Talyor 614, and 914, as well as a Guild JF-55, which all blow this out of the water as far as tone and usability. I was using this guitar live for a few years, but has since been retired to the home where it spends most of it's time in it's (non-original) Case. With all this said, I will probably never sell it because it is a beautiful & unique piece. I believe it is a solid spruce top, and laminate Mahoghany back & sides. Makes a great collectors piece for sure, and may hold some value, dueto the fact that it is a rare guitar, and that Paul McCartney has used this instrument in a very public showing. you should probably hold on to it. But, if you do happen to know a guitar collector who is a big Paul or Beatles fan, show them the youtube footage, and ask howmuch they would be willing to pay for it. That way we can get an Idea of what the high end of the market might look like for this guitar. Enjoy.
: : Francesca: The <b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">Alvarez</b> <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">5051</b> could be valuable. If it is <b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">Alvarez</b> made by Yairi and it is signed by him around !972-75, the guitar is probably in the $1,000 or close to it. If it has some imperfections, it could go less,let's say $800. If it needs full restoration, it can go as low as $400. But not less than that. Make sure you keep the label intact if you do restoration. Those were the first ones made my Kazuo Yairi himself without the help of apprentices. Good luck

: : pepe

: : : Francesca,
: : : I bought one of these for my brother's birthday in 1982.He still plays it.Not much info on these guitars,even on the <b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">Alvarez</b> website.At least 4 other persons/owners on that site's vintage message board are also wondering about this particular guitar.I would hold onto this axe if I were you,I saw <b style="color:black;background-color:#99ff99">Paul</b> <b style="color:black;background-color:#ff9999">McCartney</b> playing one on a televised Prince's Trust concert in the mid 1980s.He probably still owns it.You never know ,it might one day be worth quite a bit more than it originally cost.

alvarez model 5051

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: alvarez model 5051

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.