Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2003

Advertisement

Archive for posts from January, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Do you want to master blazing speed solo's?

Learn from guitar master instructor Jamey Andreas. 30 years experience teaching the principles of correct practice for guitar. Learn the secrets that no other method book shows you. I was feeling stuck with my guitar playing abilities. After 6 months of using his techniques, I gained speed, dexterity, confidence in bringing my playing to another level. For more info go to www.guitarprinciples.com

Floyd Rose Tremlo

Hello.
I have an ESP LTD and it has a Floyd Rose Tremlo. I just wanted to know if anyone could explain how to change the strings. I do not wish to mess up my guitar and i have never changed the strings on this Guitar before. any help would be greatly apreciated.
Thanx

Re: Floyd Rose Tremlo

First, use the appropriate allen wrench to loosen the locking nut. Then, for each string (one at a time) loosen a string. On the back of the floyd there are some more allen wrench screws that lock the string in to the bridge...loosen the one that corresponds to the string you are changing first. Pull the end of the string out of the bridge. Take a new string and cut the ball end off of the string. Place the end that had the ball end in to the bridge where the old one came out of and tighten the allen screw that holds it in place. Attach the other end of the string to the tuner and tighten. Repeat for all remaining strings, set your fine tuning adjustment screws to about a halfway position, and tune the guitar. Tighten down the locking nut and adjust tuning with the fine adjustment screws. If you need more information on adjusting the bridge for height or pitch let me know.

Re: Floyd Rose Tremlo

Dear Porkbone,

I have been playing now for about 5 years and still am having problems tuning my guitar. I used to own a Squire Stagemaster which had a floyd rose bridge and locking tremlo. I always noticed that when I would tune the guitar, every time I made an adjustment to other strings, it would knock the ones that I have already tuned out of tune. I thought that maybe it was just because the guitar was cheap. I recently purchased a ESP KH-502, which isn't cheap, and am still having the same problems. I would greatly appreciate any tips you could offer.

Thank You
Will

johnny winter - srv

I am a little surprised that srv never gave johnny winter any credit for his influence considering johnny's sound is all over srv's playing.

fender blues deville

i have a fender blues deville. its used and i dont know what year it is, but it is buzzing and humming a lot recently, especially with this new turbo tube screamer pedal i got. what do i do to fix it

Re: fender blues deville

get a diff pedal dumbfuck

Ibanez rg320 pick up problem?

Im having a problem with the pick ups, I think. When I flip the switch to choose what pick up, 2 positions have alot of static in them. I dont have an amp right now but my stack-in-a-box is fine with other guitar. Is this a pick up problem? Please advise. Thanx

Guild S-50 Jet Star

Can anybody tell me about the Guild Jet Star S-50 solidbody electric guitar produced in the 1960's?
How about a pic of one?

Re: Guild S-50 Jet Star

: Can anybody tell me about the Guild Jet Star S-50 solidbody electric guitar produced in the 1960's?
: How about a pic of one?
Here is a link that has a bunch of pictures of a 64 jetstar s-50
http://www.robwesley.com/guitars/sales.html

ZOOM GFX-8

ANYONE HAVE ANY COOL SETTINGS ON THE GFX-8??? IM INTO HEAVY METAL AND FUNKY SONGS.

guitarist searching for band

Im 15 in the Leeds/Bradford area looking for a band in need of a talented guitarist. I've been playing just under a year and can play roughly 70 songs including solos. If you or anyone you know are in need of a guitarist please email me.

thanks

Re: guitarist searching for band

If you're looking for a band, a guitar forum is the last place you should look. Go find a bass, or drummer forum and drop a note in there.

EXCELLENT ACOUSTIC

just bought a martin d16gt acoustic $2000.00 australian ,anyone interested in buying one check them out ,ive been playing for forty years and this is the best guitar i have ever played.intonation perfect,sounds like the voice of god.I dont work for martin,wish i did! i just luv it so much gotta tell ya,there is other great guitars out there but this one is a killer.rock on B.J

how much is that in Euros?

exchange rate?

A new site just for us guitar enthusiasts

Dear Guitar Enthusiast…

Check out www.myguitarlink.com

We have spent the past two years developing, what we hope to be, the best place to buy, sell and trade guitars and related a products.

It’s free to register and there are no posting fees.

§ A site designated to just guitars and associated products and accessories
§ More focused and targeted listings
§ A Buyer Protection Program, this is nice
§ No posting fees
§ Your Virtual Storefront, post up to 500 days.
§ Ease of navigation and posting.
§ Expanded filtering capabilities, i.e. new items, used items, urgent buys, urgent sells, bulk sales and more.

Please do not be discouraged by the limited number of posts at this time. We are launching it now and expect the site to be quite active within a few weeks

Thank you for your support in helping us build an honest, secure and enjoyable trading community for us guitar enthusiasts.

Enjoy,

Mike

New : DAVID FIUCZYNSKY interview

New : DAVID FIUCZYNSKY interview

on www.ifrance.com/franckvigroux

+ MARC DUCRET, VINCENT COURTOIS, John GREAVES, Noël AKCHOTE +Franck VIGROUX

What do like for necks bolt on/threw/set

What kind of necks do you think are the best and why?

bick
tremontguitars.com

Re: What do like for necks bolt on/threw/set

I don't think anyone has proof for which exactly is the best neck but I prefer neckthrough. I just think that with the right combination of tone woods and pickups neckthrough gives the best sustain and overall tone. The down side is that if you warp or tweek your neck you can't buy a replacement.

Acoustic Framus

Acoustic Framus

This popular thread has been given its own page : Acoustic Framus

Silvertone accustic guitar serial number?

I have a Silvertone accustic that is anywhere from a 1958 to 1960 model. Here's the numbers from the inside of the guitar

L958 8105

Can anyone tell me the year and how much it may be worth?

Info

: I have a Gibson, Epiphone, Les Paul, Limited Edition. Here's the numbers of the guitar

: F 7030080

: Can anyone tell me the year and how much it may be worth?

Thanks

Re: Silvertone accustic guitar serial number?

:i have asilvertone archtop acoustic gutair that is circa late 40's-early50's, i've been told it's worth anywhere to 100.00 to 150.00 ,it all depends on the style and year of the gutair,i've just started collecting them,not because of the value,but because i think they look awesome.ide like to see o pic of yours email it

JONNY LANG

does anyone know what guitar pic he uses? it's really important. please email me {dragotta21@hotmail.com} or im me on aim {britt2178}.....thanks in advance !

bent bridge? & tuning a floyd rose

ok. i tried to tune my ibanez a step down. it was a floyd rose locking system. ive been stuffing around trying to retune this bastard and have gotten no where. the tuning is stuffed now. no matter. after a little reading I realise that i have to keep retuning on the fine tuning part. Im worried whether i have bent the bridge while i was stuffing around. it looked to be bending up. plus if i were to accidently wind the tuner a pitch too high without any locking units, is it possible i put on too much pressure and bent it up. HELP dammit. how do i tune this bastard. do i need to muck around with the lower locking system on the body. help

Re: bent bridge? & tuning a floyd rose

I don't think it is possible to bend a floyd by tuning, you'd have to seriously crank on the tremolo to do any damage. I'll describe the process for tuning down from the beginning.

First, undo the locking nut, adjust your fine tuners so that they are in the half way position, and remove the plastic cover from the backside of the guitar that covers the underside of the springs and trem. On the underneath side of the trem you should have three springs connecting the tremolo to a claw, which in turn connects to the guitar by two screws. If your guitar is set up for normal tuning you will have to adjust these screws by turning them counterclockwise about a quarter turn at a time (screwing them out of the guitar). This is going to compensate the springs and bridge for loosening the strings (i.e. down tuning). Leave the locking nut unlocked and tune your guitar using the tuners (leave the fine adjustment tuners alone). You will probably have to tune each string over and over until everything settles...just keep doing it until it stays in tune. Now check the pitch agnle on the bridge. If it isn't level and points towards the headstock then you will need to screw those screws on the underside of the guitar in somemore to pull the back of the bridge down. If the back end of the bridge is being pulled down too far by the springs then you will need to loosed those screws on the underside to allow the strings to pull the bridge up for you. In either case, make the appropriate adjustment and retune the guitar. Repeat the procedure until your bridge is where you want it. Then lock down the nut and use the fine tuners. Your intonation will probably be off but that's a step for another day. Floyds are a pain in the ass for alternate tuning. I used to down tune on a floyd but I found it easier just to use a guitar with a fixed bridge. Hope this helps...let me know if you need more help.

Takamine F350M

What is the value of a well preserved Takamine F350M? Anyone?

Re: Takamine F350M

as far as your F350M, I'm not positive but I see near mint ones on Ebay going for 400-500.

I've got a 1994 EF350MC in terrific condition.
I paid like $900 for it new. I'd be lucky to get half that for it today! Don't know why but Tak's don't seem to hold their value. Even though they are suberb guitars. I've also got a LTD1992. Cedar top with Flamed Koa back and sides. The action is better than most electrics I've played and it's still only worth about $600.

fender US Strat ultra - adjusting springs

does anyone have a US strat Ultra (with lace sensors)and know how to adjust the rear springs. it seems the Ultra has a sort of fixed spring and 2 removeable springs. I was going to add an extra spring (for stability) but am not sure how. also, after changing to heavier guage strings, the bridge sits right up. it looks like a job for a good tech.

Re: fender US Strat ultra - adjusting springs

: does anyone have a US strat Ultra (with lace sensors)and know how to adjust the rear springs. it seems the Ultra has a sort of fixed spring and 2 removeable springs. I was going to add an extra spring (for stability) but am not sure how. also, after changing to heavier guage strings, the bridge sits right up. it looks like a job for a good tech.

Re: fender US Strat ultra - adjusting springs

I have a US strat Ultra (with lace sensors. Love it!The "fixed" spring in the middle you refer to, is known as a "trem setter". It is used to set the sensitivity and "feel" of your tremolo by adjusting the two thumb nuts at either end of the rod. I.E. you can give it a firmer or lighter.. looser feel by adjusting these. To re-level your bridge after changing to heavier gauge strings, you need to remove the back plate and screw in the two screws more, that hold the two tension springs. Screwing them in more will strech the springs, adding more tension thereby bringing the elevated bridge back down. You will probably have to repeat this process several times because when you change the screw settings your guitar will go out of tune and require retuning, then when retuned, that will again raise the bridge a little but not as much as before. You can minimize the number of repeat times by over compensating the tension a little each time till you get close. Hope this helps. Good luck.

bridge adjustment?

i have an ibanez elec/acoustic and the strings are extreemly high (1/4") off the fret board at the bridge end. The neck has a slight concave bow to it like it should. To get the strings to sit the proper height off the fret board waht needs to be done? Does the bridge need to be adjusted and is this something an inexperianced person should attemp?

Epiphone Moderne Flying V with seymour duncan pickups for sale.

Hi everyone! I just put my Epiphone Moderne V guitar up on eBay. It's professionally modified with a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck. The guitar has a blue maple flame top, 22 frets, locking nut and tremelo, and a floyd rose tremelo. Please check it out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=935151441

G string tunning problems

I got some slip / tunning problems with my prs on the G string, after bending that striong it goes noticably flat and have to dive bomb trem to get the G back to pitch and in tune. I`m use 10`s, so the G is a .017, any help much appreciated, thanks all, nigee / uk.

Re: G string tunning problems

: I got some slip / tunning problems with my prs on the G string, after bending that striong it goes noticably flat and have to dive bomb trem to get the G back to pitch and in tune. I`m use 10`s, so the G is a .017, any help much appreciated, thanks all, nigee / uk.

Hi this problem is most likly a tight slot in the nut.This grabs the string while tunning,bending ECT.IF possible measure the width of this slot with feeler gauges.It should be at least .020 This is the width i make my custom guitars with.Also go to the local hardeware store and get some graphite powder they sell it in tubes to free up locks it looks like ground up pencil lead.loosing strings put a pinch on finger tip and rub in the slots works wonders good luck.

Bob tremontguitars.com

I got some slip / tunning problems with my prs on the G string, after bending that striong it goes PIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: I got some slip / tunning problems with my prs on the G string, after bending that striong it goes noticably flat and have to dive bomb trem to get the G back to pitch and in tune. I`m use 10`s, so the G is a .017, any help much appreciated, thanks all, nigee / uk.
I heard that the wound G string has a smaller diameter
inter-wire than the 1st. & 2nd. string. It tends to
go flat when you bend notes. Keith Richards guitar-tech
sets up his axe with a larger diameter single-strand
string to deal with the problem. I also heard he
removes the low E on some of his guitars. I also
heard he's made alot of money. So...give it a go!

Looking for the chords to Tom Waits' "Sight for Sore Eyes"

Hi, folks! If anyone out there can help me, I'm looking to learn "Sight for Sore Eyes," from the "Foreign Afairs" album. My only Tom song @ the moment is "Cold, COld Ground," and I'd like to know some more. Thanks!

Re: Looking for the chords to Tom Waits' "Sight for Sore Eyes"

Hi. I want the chords to "Eggs and Sausage" from "Nighthawks at the Diner" to play along with Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks" teaching about Thoreau's "Lives of quiet desperation"... Makes sense, doesn't it? Can anyone mail me the chords? They're nowhere on the web and I don't have the recording anymore. Thanks so much!

MY NEW SONG

Put a new song on my site "Paretic (Part 2)"check it out...http://paretic.tripod.com/fallingtheory

Jag stang

Kurt Cobain Jag Stang for sale £1,000. Authentic mint condition.

Steve

Re: Jag stang

: Kurt Cobain Jag Stang for sale £1,000. Authentic mint condition.

: Steve if that is your real name, Can You produce a picture of this so-called jag stang? and if so how much is 1,000 euros in american dollars? Do you have anyhting proving the guitar belonged to Kurt Cobain? Email me back and will talk Business.
ciao
Ryan Vice

Air Guitarists !

Masterßlaster - famous air guitars are offered here:
http://www.houlston.freeserve.co.uk/airguitarists.htm
Remember where you heard it first ;-)
Best wishes from Bob #==(o )

Gibson Guitar

How do I get an appraisel on my guitar or find out a value for it? Mainly for insurance purposes right now.

Re: Gibson Guitar

If you know enough about it, the best thing you can do is find a similar one on ebay that's sold and see what the going price for it was.

Eddie, best of all time/ or trickster?

Is Van halen the most innovative and creative guitar genious of all time? Especialy considering all his inventions at age 16, 17 and 18. I am in a heated debate w/ friend over this issue. I bieleve he is and nobody can even come close yet. Not Via, Satriani.....;

Re: Eddie, best of all time/ or trickster?

: Is Van halen the most innovative and creative guitar genious of all time? Especialy considering all his inventions at age 16, 17 and 18. I am in a heated debate w/ friend over this issue. I bieleve he is and nobody can even come close yet. Not Via, Satriani.....;

Without doubt.

Pearl Jam patch required!

Hey guys..
can u pls gimme the configuration of pearl jams patch for 'evenflow' for a zoom 505? please mail me :)! wud appreciate it a lot !

Patches zoom 1010

Quero som pesado tipo Guns n' roses , e não estou conseguindo equalizar nenhum som parecido por favor me mandem patches com essas caracteristicas pelo e mail
fran_parisi@uol.com.br

Fairest of the Seasons

If anyone can tell me where to find the tab for Fairest of the Seasons by Nico please e-mail me. I've been looking for days and can't find anything. Thanks. I appreciate it

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.