Guild F-20

Advertisement
Posted by Greg on Sat, 08/09/03 - 23:57:59.

I have picked up a Guild F-20 acoustic that came from a garage sale ($8.00). What a bargain. Anyway, it looks like a 3/4 size guitar, the pick guard has shrunk in size (the edges are curling also) and it's carrying case looks like brown, imitation alligator skin with that wonderful thin green felt on the inside. Anyone shed some light on this old F-20? It looks like it was born in 1957. Thanks

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Guild 6 String. 1957. F-20. Third Year of Production

I am trying to find out what this make of guitar is worth these days. It is in very good condition.
Any ideas as to where besides Ebay one can find out the actual value of this gem????

Re: Guild F-20

: I have picked up a Guild F-20 acoustic that came from a garage sale ($8.00). What a bargain. Anyway, it looks like a 3/4 size guitar, the pick guard has shrunk in size (the edges are curling also) and it's carrying case looks like brown, imitation alligator skin with that wonderful thin green felt on the inside. Anyone shed some light on this old F-20? It looks like it was born in 1957. Thanks

Back in 1965, I had my heart set on a Guild F-20. I'm only 5'2", so the 3/4 size was perfect for me, but this little accoustic delivered a full resonant sound. My dear father, who passed away in 1963, presented me w/ the guitar when I entered college later in 1965. I played it (and loved it -- never found anything I liked better) until the late 90's when my eldest son begged me to let him borrow it. I gave in, and my Guild went to live w/ him in Indianapolis. Sadly, his house was robbed in the summer of 2003 while he and his family were vacationing in Florida. The thieves took everything, including my Guild. It had a small, almost invisible, crack in the soundboard down towards the endpin. I'd filed down the nut so that the action was incredible (it was already good to start with). To this day, I feel a wave of grief every time I think of my lost Guild F-20, and I'm not a materialistic person who cares about "things". My guitar was like a close friend, and of course, it meant even more to me since it was a gift from my father. I think he paid around $150 for it in 1965. You are blessed beyond belief to have found one for $8. It's a treasure.

I have had my F-20 since I bought it in 1970 in Berekely California. I was 14. It sounds like an angel. It has needed reapir over the years frets tuners and now a bridge plate. But you will not find a nicer sounding small guitar. Its a plain brown wrapper but ther is quite a gift inside.
How

Oops! -- just read my comment after submitting it. My dad passed away in 1993, not 1963. BTW, my guitar also came in a brown imitation-alligator case w/ green felt lining, so yours must be the same vintage exactly.

Bought my Guild F20 in 1976 - spruce top, mahogany back/sides, teardrop shape plec guard. It has served me well, though now a little battered! This model was I think reintriduced in the 80's, with current shape pick guard. Friends tell me that it is good for blues, although I play folk. There aren't many about, look after it!

: Bought my Guild F20 in 1976 - spruce top, mahogany back/sides, teardrop shape plec guard. It has served me well, though now a little battered! This was I think reintriduced in the 80's, with current shape pick guard. Friends tell me that it is good for blues, although I play folk. There aren't many about, look after it!

Thanks for the response. Glad to hear the F-20 is still around. I took mine to a dealer who refurbishes stringed instruments and he couldn't find any info on this F-20 of mine, but he was quick to offer me $75 for it. I too, play some folk music, but I enjoy bluegrass as well. I enjoy playing John Prine tunes. They seem to work out well in the coffee houses and festivals around here.

In good shape it's worth about $850. I have one. At least your arm doesn't go to sleep trying to hold up a Martin dreadnaught

I too had an F20 and it too, was stolen. I loved that guitar and strung it with hybrid guage electric strings. All it was missing was a cutaway and it would have been perfect. I miss that guitar like you wouldn't believe and in his busking days, Slaid Cleaves sat in my living room practising his chords on it!

: : Bought my Guild F20 in 1976 - spruce top, mahogany back/sides, teardrop shape plec guard. It has served me well, though now a little battered! This was I think reintriduced in the 80's, with current shape pick guard. Friends tell me that it is good for blues, although I play folk. There aren't many about, look after it!

:
: Thanks for the response. Glad to hear the F-20 is still around. I took mine to a dealer who refurbishes stringed instruments and he couldn't find any info on this F-20 of mine, but he was quick to offer me $75 for it. I too, play some folk music, but I enjoy bluegrass as well. I enjoy playing John Prine tunes. They seem to work out well in the coffee houses and festivals around here.

: I have picked up a Guild F-20 acoustic that came from a garage sale ($8.00). What a bargain. Anyway, it looks like a 3/4 size guitar, the pick guard has shrunk in size (the edges are curling also) and it's carrying case looks like brown, imitation alligator skin with that wonderful thin green felt on the inside. Anyone shed some light on this old F-20? It looks like it was born in 1957. Thanks

: Hi: Not sure if you still own it..but...Keep your Guild F-20. Any Dealer offering you 75.00 for it is ripping you off "Big Time" & playing on your naivete. You have a treasure...despite what you paid for it! They are fine guitars and worth a heck of alot more than 75.00....Food for thought.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.