Levin guitar - please help with details

Posted by Kit Williams on Sun, 12/30/07 - 00:51:14.

I have a Levin guitar, with the model number 115 and the serial number 430871 stamped into the top of the head. Copuld someone please tell me the year of manufacture and the model of this guitar - if possible, It requires some minor repair work and would it be worth doing so.
Kindest regards
Kit.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Levin guitar - please help with details

Kit,

I forgot the part where You asked if it is worth doing repairs on it.

I depends on what repair we are talking about. A neck reset on these may be costly, but on the other hand that is normally not required as Levins had very strong necks.
If strung up with steelstrings they may start to move though.

If the repair is reglueing of the bridge or loose braces or fix up of cracks, ask for a price. Tuners can be replaced if damaged.

My experience is that these instruments are nice players. Perhaps not for the proffesional musician but they are certainly nicer than most asian made cheep guitars of today, with laminated woods and mechanics that looks to be from the toy store.

They normally bring in a couple of hundred dollars if auctioned out on Ebay to...

/Magnus

Kit,
Match Levin serial numbers to date of manufacture at http://www.gitarren.se/radotips/sernr_levin.html. would make yours 1963; if they are accurate. From what I've seen and played, Levin seem to be very high quality guitars, I wouldn't part with my '65 model 335. In my opinion it would be worth completing minor repairs (professionally) if you enjoy playing it as much as I do. As for repair cost versus guitar value, I have no idea; Maybe Magnus H will give further follow up; he seems to know his onions, and Levins.
regards
Paul

Kit,

Your guitar is year 1963.
The 115 is "grand concert size", neck, sides and bottom of aged mahogany, top of Alpspruce, fretboard of Rosewood.
Levin had a 10 year warranty to the original owner on this model which makes it one of the finer in their classical line. The scale is 650 mm.

/Magnus

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.