Yamaha CJ-818SB Country Jumbo Acoustic

Advertisement
Posted by Kirk on Thu, 02/14/02 - 09:52:23.
In Reply to Yamaha

I have a Yamaha CJ-818SB Country Jumbo Acoustic guitar.
Trying to find out what it is worth. I bought it new around 1980 and it is in excellent condition and has a piezo uderbridge electric pickup. If anyone knows it's value, please let me know.
Thank you...

Related News:
Yamaha is a runner-up in our sub-$1000 roundup of acoustic guitars!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Lammy

Umm, it's a laminate top guitar. Was cheap then, is still cheap now.

Unlike some of their older models which are highly desirable as a collectible, as well as a great recording/live guitar, this model is what it is, an inexpensive lammy-top model. Even after 30 years, they still only fetch between $250-400, which is pretty lame for a guitar of that age.

Go price a Gibson, Martin, or even a solid-top Yamaha from that same period today.

CJ 818SB

Bought mine while I was in grade 11 in 1983 and it was my constant companion throughout my misspent youth. Paid about $300 Canadian with HSC at the time. Lots of beach parties, bonfires and backroad drives, so plenty of abuse. Today it can sit in the case for months at a time and when I take it out it's still in tune and sounding better all the time. A real workhorse... hard to beat a Yamaha for $ value.

Re: Yamaha CJ-818SB Country Jumbo Acoustic

does anybody know what the SD stands for. and is there a differnce between a cj-818 and a cj-818sd?

: does anybody know what the SD stands for. and is there a differnce between a cj-818 and a cj-818sd?

SUN BURST

: does anybody know what the SD stands for. and is there a differnce between a cj-818 and a cj-818sd?

It's "SB," not "SD" and it stands for SunBurst.

Re: Yamaha CJ-818SB Acoustic - materials

I found some information by contacting the guitarguru at the yamaha site. The CB818sb was made from 1979 - 1991, and sold for about $US 280 dollars new. They said it is mahogany back, sides, and neck. Spruce top and Indian rosewood fretboard. It appears to be high quality woods, but on mine the tuning keys appear to be fairly low end. I don't know a current value.

I submitted an entry to the database on my Yamaha CJ818-SB jumbo guitar. Could you tell me a bit about yours? Did you buy it new? Mine is still a great playing guitar, and When I got it in 1985 it had been played a lot. My sister bought it for 300 in a pawn shop in San Antonio back then. It had no pickup, but I retrofitted it with a Baggs acoustic pickup.

I was just given one as a gift. This is a shot in the dark but would you by chance know roughly what this would be worth today? Just curious.

I submitted an entry to the database on my Yamaha CJ818-SB jumbo guitar. Could you tell me a bit about yours? Did you buy it new? Mine is still a great playing guitar, and When I got it in 1985 it had been played a lot. My sister bought it for 300 in a pawn shop in San Antonio back then. It had no pickup, but I retrofitted it with a Baggs acoustic pickup.

I bought my CJ-818SB 1980 after working my first summerjob here in Finland. It cost about 1400 marks so 240$.

This is a great guitar. Once I was at the beach with my friends (heavily drinking of course)and Yamaha was with me. The poor guitar was full of sand when I woke up. She didn't care. Actually the guitar is getting better year after year. The sound is full and rich. It's always on tune whatever happens. I love my guitar.)

CJ-818SB

I bought mine in 1982 the year it was made brand new in Great Neck Long Island for about $ 280. Well what a great investment. I put the guitar through hell and 30 years later it still plays great. Actually better than some new $1000 guitars.

I bought my CJ-818SB 1980 after working my first summerjob here in Finland. It cost about 1400 marks so 240$.

This is a great guitar. Once I was at the beach with my friens (heavily drinking of course)and Yamaha was with me. The poor guitar was full of sand when I woke up. She didn't care. Actually the guitar is getting better year after year. The sound is full and rich. It's always on tune whatever happens. I love my guitar.)

Dave Mathews Band Gear

Guitars

Gibson Chet Atkins SST Solid Body (Pic)

Gibson J-200 Jumbo Acoustic (Pic)

Gibson ES-135 Electric (Pic)

Jerry Jones Baritone Electric (Pics)

Lakewood M-32 (Pic)

Martin DM3MD Custom (Pic)

Martin HD-28V (Pic)

Martin D12-38 12-String Acoustic (Pic)

Modulus Genesis Three SH (Pic)

Ovation Celebrity Acoustic (Pic)

Paul Reed Smith Hollowbody II Electric (Pic)

Santa Cruz Bob Brozman Baritone (Pic)

Takamine - Unknown Model

Taylor 914c Acoustic/Electric (Pic)

Taylor W65ce 12-String Walnut (Pic)

Taylor Dave Matthews Custom Barritone Acoustic

Yahama CJ-818-SB

Yamaha Country Jumbo CJ-12 (Pic)

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.