YAMAHA SC1200 Guitar (Electric)

Posted by Steve on Sun, 10/28/01 - 11:30:17.
In Reply to Yamaha

Has anybody got any information on this guitar,I have searched many sites but it does not seem to be listed.
Thank's

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Yamaha SC1200 guitar

My '78 SC1200 is mint, though the original hard case is pretty ratty, but 30+ years old. I too can't find info on this guitar. I'd like to know market value, track serial number for factory birth place, etc.
My Fender Strat and Gibson SG just sit in the corner since this "Pawn Shop Find".
Still trying to figure out the toggle switch combination but it has tremendous sustain and rarely needs tuning!
As the Monkeys said. "I'm a Believer"

Answers

Contact me 1-868-393-0270

SC1200

I have had mine for about 12 years now. I actually had to write Yamaha Japan to find out anything about it. Yamaha USA was no help other than providing with the contact in Japan. It was built between 1977-1980! They said that market value THEN was about $1,000-$1,200 USD (based upon the exchange rate). It is consider their Top of the Line Super Combination Series of guitars. While I do not have the original factory hard case, I have babied mine since I have had it. I WOULD NEVER SELL IT!! I have seen the online for as little as $600 USD and as much as $1000 USD. I keep my eye out on them for insurance purposes! I got mine in a pawn shop for little of nothing (because, the dealer couldn't prove what it was worth).

Yahama JPN is very proud of this piece as it was built during a time when the Fender Strat and Gibson Les Paul were extremely dominate. The SC1200 was like the best of both worlds. Adding a great BTN design on a "Strat-like" frame with LP functionality. Contact me at Hotmail, if you desire anything else. Subject Yamaha SC-1200.

Re: YAMAHA SC1200 Guitar (Electric)

: Has anybody got any information on this guitar,I have searched many sites but it does not seem to be listed.
: Thank's
I bought one in 1980 and still have it. What would you like to know?

Anwers

: : Has anybody got any information on this guitar,I have searched many sites but it does not seem to be listed.
: : Thank's
:what would you like to know about this guitar?

: Has anybody got any information on this guitar,I have searched many sites but it does not seem to be listed.

My cousin has one and is looking to sell. He had the pickups replaced but still has the old ones, it is otherwise in excellent condition.

Sale

I have one that I bought new in 1980. Its all original. what info are you looking for?

: My cousin has one and is looking to sell. He had the pickups replaced but still has the old ones, it is otherwise in excellent condition.

My cousin has one and is looking to sell. He had the pickups replaced but still has the old ones, it is otherwise in excellent condition.

-scratch that, the pickups are the originals, they were never replaced.

: My cousin has one and is looking to sell. He had the pickups replaced but still has the old ones, it is otherwise in excellent condition.

: -scratch that, the pickups are the originals, they were never replaced.
Hi,do you still want to sell the guitar.If yes email me please.

I own this guitar i bought it for £70 2 months ago.
Its a nice heavy axe with active switches all over the place, but as for history ZERO sorry
clewzy

Yamaha SC1200

I bought mine new in 1979 and would never sell it. The construction was unique: The neck / centre body is on 5 pieces. The two dark stripes are for decorative purposes only but crucially, the centre piece was cut from the same piece of wood as the two outer pieces BUT, was reversed before all 5 pieces wereglued together and then shaped. This was in order to offset any tendancy for the wood to twist or warp. I can only say it works brilliantly because the neck on mine is millimetre straight after all these years and the truss rod has never been touched. The two wings were then shaped and glued onto the centre 5-piece body/neck.

The pickup arrangement is also unique and though it has caused a lot of confusion and questioning, is actually quite simple. The switches are one for each pickup, (which I will call B, M & N, (you can figure that out for yourselves!)). The B switch switches the Bridge pickup, (get it now?), the M pickup switches the Middle pickup etc. The important thing to note is that both the B and the M switches are 3-way whereas the N switch is only 2-way. The reason for this is that both the B & M switches are configuered - Down = pickup on, Middle = pickup off and Up = Pickup on but out of phase. There is not need for the N switch to have an out of phase option because the other two already have it.

So there you have it. Yamaha at the time claimed that the SC1200 could select no less than 18 different pickup combinations. I haven't counted but realstically, there are 4 or 5 really useful sounds in there including B & N pickups, (try THAT on a Strat!) and of course all 3 pickups on at the same time. It also has one possible pitfall - You can select all three pickups Off and get total silence! Yes, I've done it live...

Lastly, the 'varnish' is made from a derivative of the Cashew nut and is astonishingly hard-wearing. Don't bother to lick it; I've tried that and couldn't taste and Cashew nut!

I hope this helps and explans a few things about this remarkable guitar; one Yamaha should reintroduce without delay. 'Beat Instrumental' magazine, (no longer published), once said of the SC1200; 'It out-Strats the Strat in every department. I have several Strats but I have to say this has quite the sweetest tone of them all.

Important

Rog I would like to speak to you can you email me your contact # Please

: I own this guitar i bought it for £70 2 months ago.
: Its a nice heavy axe with active switches all over the place, but as for history ZERO sorry
: clewzy

I bought mine new in 1979. I've had dozens of accoustics through the years but this has been my main electric axe since then. As an active part-timer, it has played in the low 1000's of gigs. It's transparent cherry sunburst and I've not seen another (in any color) since then. It has played rock, country, jazz and early 60's R&B... The numerous on-off-reverse-phase switch combinations makes for all kinds of guitar tones. The only place Ive seen any mention of it has been on this page and at the Yamaha Data base site http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/eg/database/index.html
It still works fine, looks great, can't understand why they quit making them either.
Rog

wish i could help..looking myself..thought i'd found it with your message board.
i've had mine for 15 years..looking like yourself..let me know as i will if anything comes up...wow what a guitar...leonard cohens guitarist uses one, the only one i've seen...rick

Re: YAMAHA SC1200 Guitar (Electric) For sale, good condition, a

: : Has anybody got any information on this guitar,I have searched many sites but it does not seem to be listed.

: wish i could help..looking myself..thought i'd found it with your message board.
: i've had mine for 15 years..looking like yourself..let me know as i will if anything comes up...wow what a guitar...leonard cohens guitarist uses one, the only one i've seen...rick

Re: YAMAHA SC1200 Guitar (Electric) For sale, good condition, all origenal

hi
habe eine sc 1200
tolles gerät.
habe über 20 jahre on stage damit gespielt.
sieht aus wie neu.
tolle saitenlage .
nach einem unfall kann ich leider nicht mehr spielen.
hat jemand interesse.

I have one!

I've had it since new and it's the one guitar I would never and could never sell!

It's in a natural finish, and it's the best guitar I have ever owned. It's probably done in excess of 2000 gigs and only let me down once, when the jack socket wore out - perhaps not surprisingly..

I have never touched the truss rod, and the neck is still remarkably straight. No wonder Yamaha stopped making them.. they were too good!

The sound is fantastic - it has blade pickups, which went completely out of style, but are now coming back in!

I'll try to take a piccie of it if you want..

Regards

Yan.

What do you want to know about it? I own one. Its beautiful! Great TONE! period... can cover all bases! What i love best is neck through ! Whew!

also check out .. anderson guitars .. you wont be disappointed!

Regards

Re: YAMAHA SC1200 Guitar (Electric) For sale !!!

I have one, impecable !!! never used it cause it was a sprare for another Identicall one, it never failed !!!
How much is it worth? With todays market what price would be reasonable to let it go?

Thx

Please contact

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.