Kent 12 string acustic guitar

Posted by Bernie Roberts on Tue, 04/12/05 - 02:09:10.

Just purchased a Kent 12 string acustic guitar (Not electric). It is in real good condition. I would like to know the approx. age and value of it. I paid $140.00 Canadian for it. Would appreciate any info. on this guitar.
Bernie

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I purchased an old house in

I purchased an old house in Nevada a few years ago and while in the attic, I found a Kent 12 string guitar setting on a rafter. I also found a cardboard box up there that had baby booties, birth announcements, a wind up music box baby's cereal bowl with a clown in it and some faded, color photos of twins born in 1952. The guitar was filthy. Dust and rodent droppings all over it. Strings were rusted but there. I contacted the previous owner of my "new" house and he said he didn't even know that stuff was up there. He said it must've belonged to the original owner's of the house since that's who he purchased the home from years ago.

I cleaned up the guitar real good. I had to hose out the soundhole because the rodent droppings and dried urine in there, a vacuum wouldn't work. The wood dried out, it took several days to dry and it looked pretty good thereafter. I got the strings cleaned of rust using steel wool. The guitar sounded too tinny to my ears (I like deep thumping bass from a guitar) so I decided to sell it on auction and got $50.00 for it. Also the music box bowl I found in my attic turned out to be worth more than the guitar! I got $65.00 for it! Now if only those baby booties were worth something!!

Re: Kent 12 string acustic guitar

I purchased my Kent Bonanza 12-string accoustic in 1969 or '70. Had a great sound usually reserved for much more expensive 12-strings. Neck had a very slight bow which was easily adjusted out. Tailpiece broke and I replaced that. Otherwise, the wood has done nothing but mellow with age, and it still sings with the best. If its the same model, you got it for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, Kent guitars were made in Japan and never really got a chance to prove themselves.
Greg
:

Re: Kent 12 string acustic guitar

: I purchased my Kent Bonanza 12-string accoustic in 1969 or '70. Had a great sound usually reserved for much more expensive 12-strings. Neck had a very slight bow which was easily adjusted out. Tailpiece broke and I replaced that. Otherwise, the wood has done nothing but mellow with age, and it still sings with the best. If its the same model, you got it for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, Kent guitars were made in Japan and never really got a chance to prove themselves.
: Greg
: :

my son n law has a 12 string kent acustic from mid 1950's is it vaaluable he lets the kids play with it

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.