Re: Checkmate Guitar

Advertisement
Posted by Charles Carbaug on Mon, 04/21/03 - 20:48:08.

I have an accoustic Checkmate Guitar. It has a crown logo and word Checkmate on it. Model G145. Does anyone know about when and where this guitar was made. I am in the process of doing a little touchup on it and restringing. I would be interested in acquiring any of these type old Japanese made guitars. :

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Checkmate 135

I just bought a Checkmate 135 from the US and had it sent to the UK. That may sound a little extreme but the reason was it was still new in the original box from the '60's so nice for a collection I thought and it was cheap anyhow. When it arrived, the guitar was indeed like new but I saw a problem right away. The deck was badly dished and the bridge looked like it was about to rip off the guitar. Seems like prior to dispatch the seller had kindly added some new steel strings to this nylon string model so somewhere over the Atlantic it took its last breath. Well I got half the cost back from the seller but now thinking I should have got the whole lot because sadly this thing is scrap. Just thought I'd share this for the unwary. If your guitar has a slotted headstock, a tie in bridge and the neck meets the body at the twelfth not the fourteenth fret then the good Lord meant it to have nylon strings.

check mate guitar

i bought a checkmate acoustic guitar at a grage sale for 10 bucks i have no idea what it is or where it came from
what kind is it is it a begener intermedait or advanced playing guitar

Checkmate Guitars

Check out this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teisco it has info about Checkmate Guitars. All I have found so far.

Checkmate G300 Acoustic

I have an all original Checkmate G300 acoustic which was passed down to me by an uncle. It has a spruce top and what appears to be mahogany veneer sides and back. It features the classic double pick guard which was thought to be so that it could be strung for right or left handed players. I played it for quite a while before the neck began to bow.

I'm trying to restore it. Where do I find parts?

Checkmate

I would think the Kay K250 parts would be more or less identical if you can find one cheap. Probably more about than the Checkmates so more chance. Good luck!

Checkmate Acoustic Guitar Model G 301

I have an old...Check Mate Model G 301 in excellent shape and cant find any information on this particular guitar...can anyone tell me when it was made and were...and what it is worth....I might be interested in selling it for the right price..any one.. have any information...

Checkmate G-245

Checkmate G-245 made in Korea around 1969. 3/4 scale Dreadnought body, mahogany laminated sides and back, spruce laminated top, solid mahogany neck. I have read they were sold by K-mart but have not confirmed that. I purchased one at a garage sale for $1.00. I took the top and fingerboard off to find ever piece of bracing to be loose which explained the wavy top and back. The sides, back and neck are in exceptional condition. After making all new bracing the back is now straight as a arrow. I added new kerfing to the sides to allow me to do purfling and binding. This also strengthened the neck positioning. The back and sides are now strong and straight.
From this point I will purchase Engelman Spruce for the top and use a post war Martin bracing design with my own tapered rim cut and floating X-brace. I will use rosewood for the fingerboard, bridge, headstock veneer and butt wedge. I am think I will use herringbone for the rosette and purfling and maple for the binding. I will bind the top and bottom of the body as well as the fingerboard and headstock. Fingerboard and headstock will be white pearl inlay. Ebony bridge pins with bone nut and bridge. The fingerboard will have (14" radius) and medium frets. I will probably use standard tuners.
The date is Aug 30, 2011. Two months from now this guitar will be a work of art. Will it be worth all the work? Probably not, It will not have much bass but it will play like a dream, have its own tone and be one of a kind. Estimated finish value $350. Investment cost $150. Labor 100 hours. Feel free to mail me for photo updated. KD8EGV@yahoo

CheckMate12 String Crown Model G 312 Japan

Anyone know the value in great condition.

Mark 817-944-9911

Checkmate 12 string

Hi Mark;

I own a 1960's Checkmate Acoustic 6 string (G500). I bought it in near mint condition outside of Chicago for $50.00 More of a novelty than anything. If you still have your's I'd be interested in purchasing it. If you could send me a few pictures, that would be great.

Thanks!

Mike
815-397-2023

have a checkmate G135 classical plays awesome....will take 150$ american with nice gig bag

: I have an accoustic Checkmate Guitar. It has a crown logo and word Checkmate on it. Model G145. Does anyone know about when and where this guitar was made. I am in the process of doing a little touchup on it and restringing. I would be interested in acquiring any of these type old Japanese made guitars. :

checkmate

I have a real nice on from the 70,s I will sell call Ben @ 812-219-7054

I have a checkmate guitar, G500, double pick guards, it was purchased in 1972, still in great condition, does anyone know what it might be worth. I can be contacted at 810-624-2889. :

Hello,
I have one of these old Checkmate guiatars and want to sell it. If you or anyone is interested, let me know and we can work something out.
Brandon

: I have an accoustic Checkmate Guitar. It has a crown logo and word Checkmate on it. Model G145. Does anyone know about when and where this guitar was made. I am in the process of doing a little touchup on it and restringing. I would be interested in acquiring any of these type old Japanese made guitars. :

I also have a Checkmate Guitar with the Crown and Model No G145. Can anyone tell me it's worth?

I too have a Checkmate Guitar G145, although the G and the 5 are barely visible. It has been sitting in my friends apt. since forever and every-time I see her I go over, pick it up and as I get ready to play it, I notice there is a string missing. I ALWAYS (past 25 years) say to myself 'Oh Yeah...This guitar needs a string, I will re-string it for her' THEN I notice that the bridge is barely on. It looks like the bridge has been applied with a hot glue gun and is hanging from a dried wispy end of glue-lol. So, I am going to take it to my FAVORITE and ONLY Guitar shop that I do business with, GIACOLETTIS in Carlsbad, CA. and have my buddy Roy check it out. He will probably be able to fix the bridge and re-string it. That will probably cost me more than the Guitar is worth but I like the way this Guitar looks and Roy knows how I like the action on my guitars so I will be able to use it. From my research I have learned that it was made in Korea and isn't the finest guitar ever made. It looks like they sell (I have only seen them sold in auction type places ie: Craigslist, Ebay...etc.) for under $ 200.00. Hope that helps.

Putting Him First in My Life,
Jo Ellen

: : I have an accoustic Checkmate Guitar. It has a crown logo and word Checkmate on it. Model G145. Does anyone know about when and where this guitar was made. I am in the process of doing a little touchup on it and restringing. I would be interested in acquiring any of these type old Japanese made guitars. :

: I also have a Checkmate Guitar with the Crown and Model No G145. Can anyone tell me it's worth?

Hello, I'm James. I do have a Checkmate Folk Guitar. The Checkmate Logo is posted at the front top. Also, This guitar on the top rear says made in Korea, and not Japan. The model is G500. Real nice roses on the front base part. Excellent shape, and E-Mail me if interested. Just wish I could play it. Thanks. James Or call me at 1-269-639-8135.

: I have an accoustic Checkmate Guitar. It has a crown logo and word Checkmate on it. Model G-265. Does anyone know about when and where this guitar was made. I am in the process of doing a little touchup on it and restringing. I would be interested in acquiring any of these type old Japanese made guitars. :

I have a Checkmate as well. Model #G145, 6-string Acoustic, Dreadnaught body, pick gaurd has a butterfly, hummingbird, and some flowers on it. Bought it off my cousin for $15 I think when we moved to CA in the late 70's. Not sure how long she had it or if she knows where she got it from. Will follow up on that thought. It's a decent sounding guitar and I've put it thru hell but I always keep it around.

I have a Checkmate as well. Model #G145, 6-string Acoustic, Dreadnaught body, pick gaurd has a butterfly, hummingbird, and some flowers on it. Bought it off my cousin for $15 I think when we moved to CA in the late 70's. Not sure how long she had it or if she knows where she got it from. Will follow up on that thought. It's a decent sounding guitar and I've put it thru hell but I always keep it around.

Re: Checkmate Guitar G135 model no any good shape

g135 model number by checkmate I don't no know the year looks old good shape has a pick gaurd with birds and butterflys ? if that helps I'm willing to get rid off it no use to me just a dust keeper to me

These old Japanese guitars may look low end but i have one from the mid 70s that was recently apraised at over 2000$ it has sentimental value to my mother so i will not sell but dont let looks fool you Checkmate is a quality brand

I noticed Checkmate used the crown logo, which was VERY similar to the old Teisco logo. Teisco (tokyo electronic and instrument conmpany) made budget electric guitars in the 60's and 70's in Japan, and then for a while in China. I have a Chinese version that has been appraised at $300. I hope your checkmate is worth something too.

Checkmate Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Checkmate Guitar

my checkmate guitar model number is g 235. i know it is from the 70's. anyone help?

i have one too and mine is made in korea and the model number is G500 if thats of any help

Checkmate Guitar

Hello, I have a checkmate guitar for sale if you are interested. Please email me or call 815-761-5733

Checkmate Guitar

Checkmate Guitar

i have one, my great grandpa bought it at a pawn shop in brooklyn for 5 bucks and refurbished it

: I have an accoustic Checkmate Guitar. It has a crown at the top, I got it like a year ago. I realize that this topic was posted 2 years ago, but I would also like to know more about these guitars, cause I have never heard of it until I got it from a friends of my father's. It's also a g154 model, all they all the same models?

have a checkmate guitar model g300, is an acoustic with double pick guards. looks like maple neck and body is a black, green tint, and is approximately 30 years old. girlfriends father bought new for fifty bucks in oklahoma. made in japan.

Ditto here!!!! I have my father's old Checkmate model G300. I have no idea where he got it, although it's most likely that he bought it in Texas. What are these worth???

: : I have an accoustic Checkmate Guitar. It is model g435; anybody know if its worth anything?

About a Checkmate guitar...

About a Checkmate guitar...

This popular thread has been given its own page : About a Checkmate guitar...

Charles, I have the exact guitar you discribed with the gold & black Crown logo with CheckMate across the Crown, model G145. I purchased the guitar approximately 30 yrs ago from (if I remember correctly) either Wilson or United Jewelry. It still has the sticker on the back of the neck which reads Steel Reinforced Neck Made in Korea. My grandkids have been playing with it and I decided to see if I could find out anything about its value after 30 yrs. Sorry this is a late reply, but I just found your post tonight 6/20/04.

Checkmate Guitar

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.