Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Exotic Scales Handbook & Companion CD

Exotic Scales Handbook & CD is a collection of 22 scales from around the world written Standard Notation / Guitar Tablature / with 3 Box Diagrams for each Scale with correct fingerings. Also shows Scale Degree's and Formulas and Lists 12 to 15 Chord Forms for each Scale on standard chord grids and Top it off with a companion CD
WARNING ! Using this book will greatly improve your soloing and over all understanding of the entire fretboard causing your playing to sound more interesting and Unique. VISIT
http://www.DenRecordingStudios.com

If you subscribe to mailing list between 11 / 1 / 2000 & 1 /1 / 2000 you will have the chance of winning a Brand New Sennheiser Professional Vocal Microphone
$299.99 value

"Lost" Kramer basses

A couple of years back, my spouse and I went through some very rough times. While I was travelling in the states she found it necessary to sell my whole collection of instruments. These last 2 in question are the older aluminum necked Kramer basses. One was fretted and the out was fretless.
If anyone hears anything, please let me know but dropping me a note at trayrat@hotmail.com

Thanks all

Marty B

12 String Acoustic Guitar & Artistes Wanted

John Joyce and myself have set up a new label Fretdancer specifically designed for releasing mainly virtuoso acoustic guitar product, although we will consider most original concepts.If anyone feels they would like to be considered for the label , contact the site. Also , we are offering an online advice clinic to anyone interested in the 12 string guitar as a solo instrument,plus advice from John on repairs.Visit the site http://www.fret-dancer.com or e-mail paulbrett@fret-dancer.com.

12 String electric guitar effects pedal

I am looking for a 12 string effects pedal that takes the place of playing a 12 string guitar but is used for a 6 string guitar.

http://www.keytronenterprises.com

Guitar Synth Software

Check out our Software Guitar Synth at
www.lateralsol.com
Fully polyphonic!

Goldtop LP prices

Hey anyone.......... how much should I pay for a 1989 LP goldtop w/ P-90's, 9 pts (VG)?
gerry

Gibson Dirty Fingers Humbucker

I bought two of these pickups 10 years ago. They were factory lasts, 2 of the last 7 the factory supposedly had.

These pickups have a wonderfully fat tone (the fattest I've ever heard from a humbucker), but they have a very annoying high end squeal at close range to the amplifier with high gain. I have each one individually installed in a 79 Les Paul Artist and an 89 Les Paul Studio, both in the bridge position, and I am getting the same result out of both guitars, through different amplifiers.

Any passive electronic modifications I can try to alleviate this annoyance? Or will I have to go the active route?

Any input would be appreciated.

G.F.

Re: Gibson Dirty Fingers Humbucker

Hmm.I've never been a big fan of active pickups,cause they have their own sound.The Dirty Fingers pickups had
a great reputation back in the day.Pickups this old
tend to lose their wax(potting)over time.Check the back
of the pickups to see if they still have wax on them.
If not,then have them repotted,PROFESSIONALY!! Also
make sure the volume pot cavity is sheilded properly,in
addition to the usual grounding techniques.
Good Luck

Strats

Whats the difference between a regular strat and a fat strat?

Re: Strats

Whats the difference between a regular strat and a fat strat?
see my post down the line.
theridmeister.

model 6 wiring???

I need a scematic for a charvell model 6 with the 3 on/off switches

what exactly does a pedal do?

i see alot of different pedals for electric guitars what exactly do they do im a beginner if you havent notice lol

Re: what exactly does a pedal do?

well, there's lots! some are footswitches, which just switch from one channel to another on an amp or turn on reverb n stuff. but they are specific to the amp.

the others are stompboxes. they mostly do their own thing in terms of sounds. like some are distortions, overdrives, flangers, reverbs, delays ect ect ect. there are also multi-effects pedals. these are bassically some of those stompbox effects all in one big odd looking pedal eg boss me-30. they'll do pretty much the same job as the stompboxes. the multi's are good if ur starting out, cos u get lots of stompbox tones for the price of about 3 stompboxes. the only sacrifice is a little quality and control, but its damn, DAMN better to have something than nothing at all.

Re: what exactly does a pedal do?

: well, there's lots! some are footswitches, which just switch from one channel to another on an amp or turn on reverb n stuff. but they are specific to the amp.

: the others are stompboxes. they mostly do their own thing in terms of sounds. like some are distortions, overdrives, flangers, reverbs, delays ect ect ect. there are also multi-effects pedals. these are bassically some of those stompbox effects all in one big odd looking pedal eg boss me-30. they'll do pretty much the same job as the stompboxes. the multi's are good if ur starting out, cos u get lots of stompbox tones for the price of about 3 stompboxes. the only sacrifice is a little quality and control, but its damn, DAMN better to have something than nothing at all.

: why do you say quality and control is compromised. i've heard a lot of other guitarists say that switching on a multi effect pedal is a lot cleaner than with individual analog effects

THINNER FINGERS?

Can you make your fingers thinner by losing weight?

Re: THINNER FINGERS?

: Can you make your fingers thinner by losing weight?

Weight isn't an issue. My ex guitar teacher weighed 350 lbs. In '69, he was rated the 2nd best jazz player in the stater,behind Joe Pass. So, maybe you should practice more.

THINNER FINGERS?

Can you make your fingers thinner by losing weight?

how about the ibanez sr400???

im looking to get a bass and so far the one that seems to be the best for me is the sr 400 i cant find much info so i just go on what my friends say so someone with some knowledge about basses tell me its it a good bass. also i was wonder if the fender bassman 60 would be a good match up for the bass

Re: how about the ibanez sr400???

Rick, Like I've said before I've owened mainly Strats but i do own a couple of Ibanez's. There not Basses but to tell you the truth, I've never owened a finer guitar as far as quality and tone. Great playing guitars! Like I said, I do know that my old Bass player played an Ibanez 5 string and it had really great tone and I don't remember him ever having a problem with tuning. Anyway Good luck on your choice. Jim.

jimi savage

i want the jimi savage backing track in F# in an mp3!it was in total guitar magazine a few years ago!i really want it so i will appreciate your effort!i will look forward to hearing from you soon!i hope to send me a link!!!!!thanks

BEST STRINGS?

I'm a relative beginner on electric guitar (Jackson PS4). I've replaced the strings twice with D'Addario strings but I'm interested in knowing other's preferences and why. Thanks!

Re: BEST STRINGS?

Hey Fred, I have very acidic hands and the only strings I've found that really last are Dean Markley. Now that's just me. I think they last longer and keep there tone longer also. Just keep trying different ones until you find what works for you. Jim

footpedal

i cant get my boss metal zone pedal to sound punk...please help me out

Re: footpedal

The reason why you cant get it to sound punk, is cos its called Metal Zone. Its for Metal and Heavy style guitaring. You should get a Boss OverDrive pedal or just a plain Boss Distortion pedal. You'll get the punk sound out of that

Mexican vs. American made Strats

I'm currently in the process of shopping for a new Strat. I've owened several over the years but have never been able to buy an American model. To be honest, after playing both I really can't see the 500 to 600 dollar difference. I mean I'm not a collector, I'm a player and if the Mexican plays and sounds as well as the American then shouldn't I stay with the mexican model? Comments?

Re: Mexican vs. American made Strats

Howdy. The biggest differences between the American and Mexican Made guitars are primarily in workmanship and materials. The mexican models in general have poor fret dressing. Run your hand along the side of your neck. Ten to one, you will have a very rough feeling along the side because the frets stick out past the fretboard. The only reason for this is that the mexican plants don't take the time to properly dress and polish the frets. In general, the wood used in a Mexican guitar is of lower quality, with a looser grain, and higher warping tendencies. In addition, The pickups in an American made guitar will be of a much higher quality than a comparable Mexican-made. If you're worried about the cost, you might want to check our Musician's Friend www.musiciansfriend.com Instead of $700 for a mexican guitar, it will be closer to 400. You can also find good deals on American instruments. If you have more questions, feel free to e-mail them to me.

Re: Mexican vs. American made Strats

There's not really a contest. As long as you can get hold of a pre 1986 strat your happy. All these were hand made by fender. After 86 Fender were bought out by Arbiter and your not going to get a hand made model (only a crappy factory model).

If you're going to choose, don't bother with any modern day strat no matter what country. Make sure it's a pre 86 US Standard or better, then you'll begin to notice the difference, I promise!!

Personally I go for Tele's, a much better, fuller, bold, fat, bluesy sound. They are the dogs, especially with Lace Sensor Gold pickups on 'em!

Squier Pro Tone

Could anyone tell me off the top of their head what kind of pickups Squier installed in their Pro Tone Series Strats? I already tried to find out on Squier and fender's website, and MrGearhead had nothing. Thanks!

Re: Squier Pro Tone

I found this write-up on the web.
Perhaps this will give you some insight into the line.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/SNAMM96/Fender/squier-deluxe.html

I have the Deluxe Precision Five model.

Regards,

: Could anyone tell me off the top of their head what kind of pickups Squier installed in their Pro Tone Series Strats? I already tried to find out on Squier and fender's website, and MrGearhead had nothing. Thanks!

Floyd Rose Tremolo

I bought a cherry Jackson, but it has a Floyd Rose tremolo. I am about to send it back because I can't keep the damn thing in tune. Can anyone give me some pointer with this?

Re: Floyd Rose Tremolo

That guitar should stay in tune perfectly. There is quite a bit to keep an eye on with a Floyd Rose. First think that I have found with unproperly set up Floyd's is the fact that the bridge is not parallel with the body. As you sit with the guitar in your lap, look down the guitar to see the gap between the bridge and the body. You want this to be perfectly parallel with the guitar tuned to whatever tuning you use. This is adjusted with two fillups head screws. You have to open the back plate, and you will see three springs going from the bridge to a metal anchor that is screwed to the body. To bring the back of the bridge towards the body, screw them in, and vice versa. Also, before you lock down the nut, you want to tune it, stretch the shit out of the strings, and tune it again, and keep doing this until it stays in tune without the nut locked. Then lock down the nut. This is all a big pain in the ass, but your guitar should stay in tune better than any other bridge made. I don't use tham anymore, but I do respect the stability of them. If this is too much trouble, you should consider a guitar without a tremolo, and has locking tuners. That is the easiest setup.

To keep the floyd rose bridge in good shape, the saddles should be cleaned with a Q-tip
to keep gunk from building up. To keep a good guitar sound, strings should be cleaned
with lemon oil, the the bridge should be lubricated with vaseline. When you change strings,
you should put some playing cards under the bridge to keep it from moving out of a parallel
position. The best Floyd Rose is one that is in parallel position

I just got my first Jackson Dinky Rev. and along with it came the Floyd Rose locking tremolo. It took me quite a while to figure out how to tune the damn thing(and even longer to replace my strings!!!!!), but soon I found out how to do it. You have to tune your guitar three times in order for it to sound perfect. But, whats great about this system, are the locks at the top of the neck. So, as long as you dont bend the hell out of your strings too horribly much, it will stay in tune for al least a few days. I couldn't be happier with this system.

what is tremolo?

beginning electric guitar

My son is looking to buy an electric guitar. What would you reccommend for a beginner? He has been playing an acustic for a couple of years.

Re: beginning electric guitar

You can get a cheap (cost) guitar at any music store. I would recommend a Mustang. They look like Fenders (which are expensive) and sound OK. Try to avoid something serious until you know he is gonna stick with it. Best website I have seen is
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

They are great!!!

: You can get a cheap (cost) guitar at any music store. I would recommend a Mustang. They look like Fenders (which are expensive) and sound OK. Try to avoid something serious until you know he is gonna stick with it. Best website I have seen is
: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

: They are great!!!
:Buy one.

: : You can get a cheap (cost) guitar at any music store. I would recommend a Mustang. They look like Fenders (which are expensive) and sound OK. Try to avoid something serious until you know he is gonna stick with it. Best website I have seen is
: : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

: : They are great!!!
: :Buy one.

The Epiphone Les Paul is a good starter guitar for under $500 at Musician's Friend - link through www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com
Good luck!

How much is this guitar worth?

I have a sweet 1969 Gibson SG. It's woodgrain finish and original hardware and electronics with the exception of the tailpiece - it was changed to a BadAss (works well). Thanks guys.

Re: How much is this guitar worth?

The value of your guitar depends a whole lot on the condition. But a 1969 Gibson SG does have some value. If there is any refinishing or other modifications it will seriously decrease the value. I would estimate a few thousand dollars. To get a better idea pick up a copy of Vintage Guitar Magazine, it is a very good resource. Also check Ebay, as that will tell you what people are actually paying for them right now.

: I have a sweet 1969 Gibson SG. It's woodgrain finish and original hardware and electronics with the exception of the tailpiece - it was changed to a BadAss (works well). Thanks guys.

epiphone masterbilt archtop

is it possible to fit a new neck to an archtop and how old is this guitar the serial number 185 is stamped on the back of the neck

I need help adjusting action on my Kahler tremelo

I have a 1983 Gibson flying V with a Kahler locking tremelo and I want to make an adjustment of raising the string height. How is this done?

Re: I need help adjusting action on my Kahler tremelo

Hmm. I'm not sure which model Kahler you have.In your
case I think there are some screws near the saddles. You'll need an allen key to turn them.My Kahler has
traditional allen screws on each saddle,so yours might
have just one big screw in the center of saddle.
Hopr this helps

Re: I need help adjusting action on my Kahler tremelo

Depending on which Kahler you have, it will vary. As far as the flat-mount, probably the most popular Kahler, there are 3 screws on each saddle. Turn the little tiny allen-screw that is closest to the roller to adjust the height. Also, the other allen screw on the other side of the philips screw will need to be adjusted. It seems complicated, but it really isnt. Kahlers are (or were, in my opinion) the best tremelos out there. Keep on rockin!

dave

Yamaha FG-365S

Just bought this beautiful 21yr old. Anyone have any info or opinions about this beast? Cheers.

Re: Yamaha FG-365S

: Just bought this beautiful 21yr old. Anyone have any info or opinions about this beast? Cheers.

yamaha is crap, but if you like it, that's what counts.

: : Just bought this beautiful 21yr old. Anyone have any info or opinions about this beast? Cheers.

: yamaha is crap, but if you like it, that's what counts.

I HAVE A COMMENT ABOUT YOUR GUITAR I HAVE ONE AS WELL AND I THINK THEY PLAY BEAUTIFULLY ALL RIGHT MINES BEEN ROUND THE BLOCK BUT IT SOUNDS GREAT

yeah, I bought one when it was brand new, left it in the closet with my guitar skills for about 18 years, and have just recently discovered it, if not my guitar skills. the guitar has a very nice sound (with new strings) and is as gorgeous as ever.

: : Just bought this beautiful 21yr old. Anyone have any info or opinions about this beast? Cheers.

: yamaha is crap, but if you like it, that's what counts.

I own a FG 365S II - bought in the early 80's - I believe this is one of the best sounding acoustics - I have recently begun looking at new gutars (mostly Taylor)but have found that this guitar sounds as good if not better than pratically every guitar I've tried in $1000-1200 range - I also own a Martin D-16 and my "Yamahopi" blows it away - I play out and consistently have postive comments as to how full bodied and beautiful this guitar sounds

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.