Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Roland Guitar Synth

Does anyone know of a company or individual that can set up a GR09 and driver correctly on a Yamaha SG200, preferably in the West Midlands area?

Band guitars

Band guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Band guitars

stuff

hi

more stuff

hi again

xmas gutair

ive been wanting a gutair for awhile, and i think im going to get one this year for christmas. but my mom is going to get it, and since i wont be coming with her, i wanted to tell her exactly what to get so that ill have a good gutair. i want an acoustic, and i really like the skinnier ones (im kinda small, so i think itd be easier for me to handle). ive heard ibanez is pretty good, but im still looking around. id love it if i could get some insight as to other brands, or specific models that would be good for me. thanks~

Re: xmas gutair

you're not going with your mom to get your new baby??? how crazy is this??? seriously girl, especially since you're small, you need to try out some guitars. if it doesn't fit you how you like, how are you going to play it and like it? i want to cry; go pick it out and try them out... please.
as for models, those who know me know that i like to rant and rave about my first guitar because it really is a good beginner. washburn D10 ($375), and mine was an acou/ele. i have tiny hands as well and this particular model has a very skinny neck. it's got good sounds and i still like it emencely. as for other brands ibanez is good, as well as, of course, gibson and fender. these last two can be a little more pricey than ibanez or washburn, and the gibsons' may be a little too big for you.
go to the store... try them out... hold them and love them, and taste them if you have to, but be there when your mommy buys you one, ok? take care and good luck, amanda. let us know what you get.

yeah, actually, i was planning to go look at guitars and test them out before i told her what to get...you think im crazy?? but my family has this whole 'spotenaity' tradition...like i never know EXACTLY what im getting until after all the presents are opened. anyway...i went to sam ash and picked out this *beautiful* little fender. its about $300, and im almost positive im getting it. damn...if christmas comes and that thing isnt there...im honestly going to cry.

so cool heather, i'm glad i misunderstood you and that you actually are going to the store. tell me about this fender, girl, i'm interested to hear. 300$ isn't bad; it's not acou/ele, right? if you like it, and the sales guy isn't taking you for a jog in the park to pay for his new bmw, go for it...amanda

i want a sheet sent to me about bass gutair Knobs for tone volume and so forth.

Get Paid

!Cash Fiesta!

http://www.cashfiesta.com/php/join.php?ref=club662pac

channel switching

i want to change my marshall vs100r channells with a midi switch is this possible?

Acoustic amps

I have a Parker Nightfly and I use an old Carlsboro Acoustic amp.
I would like to reduce the size and weight of the amp because of back problems!
I would like a small combo suitable for both the acoustic and electric elements of my guitar.any advice,tips etc
of the

Anyone tried a Burns Marquee against Strat

Anyone tried a Burns Marquee against Strat

This popular thread has been given its own page : Anyone tried a Burns Marquee against Strat

help a girl out...

hey all,

i was hoping somebody might be able to help me out on this. i am thinking of getting a new guitar that is easier for me to play. i have a strat and i find that the neck is just a tad too big for my small hands. i was wondering what types of guitars are better for individuals with smaller hands. i usually see female guitarists using telecasters...are they generally known to have smaller necks? thanks.

Re: help a girl out...

help girl,, response
try out some Ibanez, they have really light action and slim necks for us folk with small hands

help girl,, response
try out some Ibanez, they have really light action and slim necks for us folk with small hands

: hey all,

: i was hoping somebody might be able to help me out on this. i am thinking of getting a new guitar that is easier for me to play. i have a strat and i find that the neck is just a tad too big for my small hands. i was wondering what types of guitars are better for individuals with smaller hands. i usually see female guitarists using telecasters...are they generally known to have smaller necks? thanks.

: You want a 24 scale neck. Generally Gibson/Epiphone. Not sure on the Ibanez. But ASK for a 24 scale neck.

: i was hoping somebody might be able to help me out on this. i am thinking of getting a new guitar that is easier for me to play. i have a strat and i find that the neck is just a tad too big for my small hands. i was wondering what types of guitars are better for individuals with smaller hands. i usually see female guitarists using telecasters...are they generally known to have smaller necks? thanks.

Go with ecar's suggestion - he's spot on.

It depends how much you want to spend, but you might consider the Bonnie Raitt signature strat which has a slimmer neck than a standard strat.

funny you mention that, because i was considering that option...only wish i had more money!

Hi Amy.I've found that Ibanez makes good,reasonably priced axes.Thier necks tend to be smaller than most American guitars.Try a used Ibanez Roadster,very cheap,but very good!!Slim neck,small neck width, humbucker in lead position!
Hope this helps

Light guage strings for acoustic guitar

I bought a Takamine Acoustic/electric and would like to put a set of 9's on it. I play Boomer 9's on my strat, and find them very comfortable, but on the Takamine, they sound too "cold". I would like to find an acoustic string, preferably 9's, that plays soft, (like the boomers), but gives the Tak a "warmer" sound.
I tried Martin 80/20s..(10's) but they played too hard. Gotta have 9's, if I can find some.

Re: Light guage strings for acoustic guitar

: I bought a Takamine Acoustic/electric and would like to put a set of 9's on it. I play Boomer 9's on my strat, and find them very comfortable, but on the Takamine, they sound too "cold". I would like to find an acoustic string, preferably 9's, that plays soft, (like the boomers), but gives the Tak a "warmer" sound.
: I tried Martin 80/20s..(10's) but they played too hard. Gotta have 9's, if I can find some.

I also have a Tak acoustic/electric and I always use Elixer Extra Lights.
A littlle bit pricey but worth it

BR-8 Transfer to Disk Question

I have recorded on a BR-8 and want to transfer my recording onto a CD. What is the best way to get the data into my pc and what is the best software? I was planning on using the digital(optical) out and cubasis, but wanted a second opinion before I bought it. Thanks.

Stairway to heaven

Does anyone know exactly what is the meaning of the old
man holding the lantern and staff on the inside cover
of the stairway to heaven album.

I am getting him tattooed next month and would like
to know if he is suposed to be St.Peter as a guide
on top of the stairway to heaven ??

Re: Stairway to heaven

I can tell you that Jimmy Page has a really strong enterest in the Occult. Maybe that old guy is a afterlife god or something. I can't really help ya buddy.I think Led Zeppelin is an awesome band and it's cool that you're representing them with the tattoo.

Any advice on buying a guitar??

I've been playing a strat copy for 3 years and it was fine for learning, but I'm in a band now, and I want to buy a good quality guitar.
I have around £300 to spend and I was wondering what anyone recommends.
I've been looking at an Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop and have heard that the alnicoV P-90 pickups are better than the P-100's, Is this true??
What are the qualities of this guitar, and which other guitars do you recommend in the same price bracket??

Thanks - Dave

Re: Any advice on buying a guitar??

: I've been playing a strat copy for 3 years and it was fine for learning, but I'm in a band now, and I want to buy a good quality guitar.
: I have around £300 to spend and I was wondering what anyone recommends.
: I've been looking at an Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop and have heard that the alnicoV P-90 pickups are better than the P-100's, Is this true??
: What are the qualities of this guitar, and which other guitars do you recommend in the same price bracket??
: For that kind of money, keep what you have. An Epi is NOT a step up. Just a different sound. Buy a McInturff when you have tha $$$$.
: Thanks - Dave

: I've been playing a strat copy for 3 years and it was fine for learning, but I'm in a band now, and I want to buy a good quality guitar.
: I've been looking at an Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop and have heard that the alnicoV P-90 pickups are better than the P-100's, Is this true??
: What are the qualities of this guitar, and which other guitars do you recommend in the same price bracket??

If you're wanting a complete change of sound then maybe consider the Epiphone - though even then I think you could do better - but if you like what you've got but want better quality look for a better quality Strat copy, or even a second-hand Strat. £300 will get you a decent guitar. Find a decent second-hand place and have a look. I don't know where you are in the UK so I can't reccomend anywhere. Buy Guitarist and have a look at the trade ads, or buy a local free ads paper and see what's for sale privately.

If your'e in the uk try

www.loot.com for second hand guitars,
you could probably get a nice Gibson Les Paul Junior or Studio for ~£400 - i.e. what you'd pay for a new Epiphone Gold top (though these do get good reviews). Note that real second hand gibsons will sell for what you paid for them.
Personally I like hand made British Guitars like Gordon Smiths and Patrick Eggles that offer coil tapping, etc.

For reviews of guitars try www.harmony-central.com via their guitar database.

: If your'e in the uk try

: www.loot.com for second hand guitars,
: you could probably get a nice Gibson Les Paul Junior or Studio for ~£400 - i.e. what you'd pay for a new Epiphone Gold top (though these do get good reviews). Note that real second hand gibsons will sell for what you paid for them.
: Personally I like hand made British Guitars like Gordon Smiths and Patrick Eggles that offer coil tapping, etc.

: For reviews of guitars try www.harmony-central.com via their guitar database.

:
: : I've been playing a strat copy for 3 years and it was fine for learning, but I'm in a band now, and I want to buy a good quality guitar.
: : I have around £300 to spend and I was wondering what anyone recommends.
: : I've been looking at an Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop and have heard that the alnicoV P-90 pickups are better than the P-100's, Is this true??
: : What are the qualities of this guitar, and which other guitars do you recommend in the same price bracket??

: : Thanks - Dave

Try a burns marquee they are available for about 199 at the right places, and sound like a fender strat

Zagerguitar.com

Online guitar instuction tought by 50+ year experienced professional recording artist. www.zagerguitar.com

STOLEN De Angelico EXCEL serial number 1964

reward for information leading to recovery of this instrument that my father gave to me and has great sentimental value. I met Johnny de Angelico in NY on MOTT Street and met him and Jimmy De Serio and Jimmy De Quisto. I watched him make this and I want it back.

test

nevermind

Re: test

: nevermind

Oh, go on. What was it?

what does mono/stereo mean on a 4x12 cabinet

what does mono/stereo mean on a 4x12 cabinet

This popular thread has been given its own page : what does mono/stereo mean on a 4x12 cabinet

amp review

Who reviewed the top ten amps? I'll buy the Marshall at the top, but a Peavy 5150 as the second best amp out there is unbelievable. The boutique amps on the list blow it away.

And, the list seems to be missing what many consider to be Fender's best amp, the black face twin reverb. it's a much better amp than the others listed.

Re: amp review

: Who reviewed the top ten amps? I'll buy the Marshall at the top, but a Peavy 5150 as the second best amp out there is unbelievable. The boutique amps on the list blow it away.

: And, the list seems to be missing what many consider to be Fender's best amp, the black face twin reverb. it's a much better amp than the others listed.

: ANYONE that says a 5150 is a better amp than a BF Twin is getting payola or don't know sheet!

amp review

Who reviewed the top ten amps? I'll buy the Marshall at the top, but a Peavy 5150 as the second best amp out there is unbelievable. The boutique amps on the list blow it away.

And, the list seems to be missing what many consider to be Fender's best amp, the black face twin reverb. it's a much better amp than the others listed by fender.

Washburn WP-50

Washburn WP-50

This popular thread has been given its own page : Washburn WP-50

tokai love rock

I have a tokai les paul and would like to know what
anyone else thinks about this type of guitar

Re: tokai love rock

: I have a tokai les paul and would like to know what
: anyone else thinks about this type of guitar

Never played one, but I remember that they wee marketed at a low point for Gibson - in terms of product quality - and a lot of the music press rated them as better than what Gibson themselves were putting out at the time. Everyone thought they had a stupid name though!

: I have a tokai les paul and would like to know what
: anyone else thinks about this type of guitar

I'm a lucky owner of a beautyful black Tokai Les Paul Custom. I bought it from my cousin and after changing the microphonic Pick-ups to seymore Duncan, my black beauty sounds like hell and I think I will never sell it. It's a very good guitar for that price.

Rock On

Mr Foo

Hi, i'm about to buy a 2001 Tokai LC-75S (the les paul custom replica, in black)... so far I've only played the ALC75, which is the Korean model, and i was totally blown away! I'm waiting for the Japanese model to arrive at the shop. I'm trust it'll be a lot better than the Korean one, and that's saying something! So much for Epiphones being a worthwhile Gibson alternative.. all the epi's i've played absolutely suck!

Hi hope you got on well with your new gtr if you nedd any info or a catalogue please get in touch

Regards Bob Tokai guitars UK LTD

Tokai and Ibanez spanked Fender and Gibson's booty back
in the day.That's why they got sued! These guitars were
just so...YUMMY! I have a 1976 Korina V,LOVE IT!! Your
axe is very,very,good.I wish I had one.

Pentasystems 5-string guitars Need help!

Does anyone know anything about the Pentasystem for 5 string guitars? I know about getting nice string sounds and things. But has anyone tried one? Any idea where I can buy one? Thanks

Re: Pentasystems 5-string guitars Need help!

Greetings: Pricelist for the Pentasystem instruments are available by e-mail from www.pentasystem.com They will be posted on the site soon, but demand has been overwhelming. These are the hottest instruments ever to debut! Imagine being able to play 97% in tune! Truly unbelievable...

Small Hands

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for someone learning on acoustic with very small hands. I can play some chords, but I can't do barre chords hardly at all, and my reach is very difficult for some chords. For example, I have a hard time with B and F chords. I even tried "power chords" that I found on the net, but I can't do it. For the F chord, i tried using only strings 1 thru 4, but I can't even barre the 1st and 2nd strings because of how small my hands are and how my fingers are shaped. Any suggestions on alternate chord structure or tuning, etc. would be helpful.

Re: Small Hands

you should try a smaller guitar. fender makes some nice small ones, as does taylor.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.