Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - September, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: 4 track analog recording

I am using a dean markley sound hole pick up. (under $100 ) And run it through a reverb unit. Not much though. Results are pretty good for recording.

NEW GUITARIST MARIO

Guitar fans looking for someone new??? Check out Mario and his new release "Una Vita". You can hear more of his playing on the new Doro release "Calling the Wild" also featuring Slash, Al Petrelli and Bob Kulick.

OVATION 4861 ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC MANUAL

does n e 1 know where 2 get a ovation 4861 electro-acoustic manual or user guide

if so, PLEASE e-mail me with even the smallest detail
cheers
mike

www.guitar-online.co.uk
www.lithium2li.iwarp.com

Any body tried the boss VF1?

Has anybody tried the boss vf1 multieffects unit? What do you think? How does it compare with other similar units?

Thanks ... DS

Re: Any body tried the boss VF1?

Yes my friend, I happen to have one and it has performed to my best expectations. I've used it for guitar (recording and live), live sound re-enforcement,
and vocals. It's THE all in one box. You can get as deep as you want into the effect parameters or just use it right out of the box. You will need a foot controller if you plan to use it live.

Peace

Check out the BEST SLIDE GUITAR EVER !

LISTEN TO THIS !!
http://mp3.com/DIRTYLKARLSSON

Martin repair

I need to find the best repair shop in the country (preferably in the DC area) to repair my 30 year old D28. Help!

Re: Martin repair

Call Martin !! They do have a web site. They can tell you what you want to know.

that "low sound"

that "low sound"

This popular thread has been given its own page : that "low sound"

david bowie

i'm looking for 2 guitar tabs from david bowie's songs: 'karma man' and 'we are hungry men'.. is there anyone who can deliver it to me?? thank you..

I need the song underground tabed out

: Hey dude I am looking for a rare song by david bowie.
It is called underground. I tried searching for tabs but I cant find anything can anyone help me.If so just send it to my e-mail.

Thanks

Fender Jaguar String Mute System

What are the parts on it's string mute system? Pls help

Jackson/Charvell model 6 price??

I'm just wondering what would be a good price for a model 6?

Re: Jackson/Charvell model 6 price??

: I'm just wondering what would be a good price for a model 6?
also if there is anywhere I can find srews and plates for the locking nut and screws for inside the fine tuners

Framus 12 string

We recovered a 1955 Framus 12 string acustic made in Bulgaria from a burglary to a home.We need help nailing this guy because he distroyed it.Can anyone give us an idea what its worth?It was in mint condition.Thanks in advance...

Multi Effect pedals

I'm thinking of buying a Digitech RP2000. Has anyone got one & how do they compare to DOD, Line 6, etc. I have a JCM900- 50 w with quad celestion. I play a Strat & an SG. Mainly rock covers, Chilli peppers, Radio head, Bush etc. Can anyone suggest a better option than the RP2000. Thanks. Ian Anderson Australia

Re: Multi Effect pedals

I heard the RP2000.I was not impressed.I still love my
RP10 however.

hey wherebouts in aus are ya?

Hi drew, I live in shepparton in Victoria. What about you? What do you know about the Rp2000, I think I will have a good play with it before I buy one. I want something with great sounds & is easy to change between banks. What do you suggest? Thanks for replying. By Ando

JCM800 4-AMP FUSE: Fastblow or Slowblow?

When replacing the 4-Amp fuse for my Marshall JCM800 should I use a slow-blow? or fastblow?

1994 FENDER STRAT

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME AN IDEA OF WHAT A 1994 MAPLE FENDER STRAT IS WORTH? NATURAL FINISH, EXCELLENT CONDITION.

Re: 1994 FENDER STRAT

: CAN ANYONE GIVE ME AN IDEA OF WHAT A 1994 MAPLE FENDER STRAT IS WORTH? NATURAL FINISH, EXCELLENT CONDITION.

mexican, japan or american? any idea what model?
probably your best bet would be finding a local
music store that has a guitar bluebook and ask them
to tell you the price for retail ( not wholesale).

dougster

Boss Gt-3 or Digitech RP-2000

I have narrowed my search down to these two and want some opinons on which unit is going to blow more shit away. Please be honest and include any personal problems with the units, thanks

Re: Boss Gt-3 or Digitech RP-2000

: I have narrowed my search down to these two and want some opinons on which unit is going to blow more shit away. Please be honest and include any personal problems with the units, thanks

Hello. I've been playing Digitech products for about 10 years. I've owned 3 pedals and two processors and I have never had a problem. Right now I'm using a $250 Digitech RP-3 and it does everything I need quite well.
The boss I can't help you with, sorry.

I've read some great reviews (and less that glowing ones too) about the Digitech RP-3 and I'd side with those that found it lacking.

Most of the effects are good however this is the 3rd one I'm trying in as many weeks.

The tuner on the pedal isn't at all accurate and it's very difficult to "lock in" on a pitch. The readout jumps around a lot and makes using the tuning feature totally impracticle. (checked it with friends who had tuners at the same time and theirs all agreed....my RP-3 wasn't even close to correct pitch)

I also encountered "random" problems in bank and program modes. On several of the settings I'd come across one that produced an electrical shorting sound. For sure it wasn't an intended effect as there was no variation to the sound on any of the strings.

So in summary I wasn't very pleased with the RP-3.

With regard to the Boss pedal (model escapes me but it's the one that is in the same price range as the RP-3) I tried it out tonight and really liked it.

The wah wah pedal has more of a punch to it than did the RP-3. The compression and tube sound was much fuller than the RP-3.

I had no problems with the presets and as for accurate tuning, it was consistant with other electronic tuners I tried.

So after trading in my 3rd digitech I think I'm staying with the boss pedal.

Incidentally, after taking some time to EM the digitech support line and trying to accurately describe the same problems I'd had with 3 pedals in a row I received a brief answer "we aren't aware of problems similar to those you described".

Though the response was "reasonably" prompt (within a week) I think for the money I'll stay with the Boss pedal.
:

Im wanting to get a rp2000 and a gt3/gt5 too .. unable to decide... well?? anyone willingto help?

I thought this was all about the boss GT3 vs. Digitech 2000 origionally?
oh well, i've had a digitech rp3 for the last year or so, and i've found its "user friendliness" to be lacking. It has some hard core shit sounds waiting to be discovered, but finding or creating them has proved a pain in the arse. I've also found that the tuner is inaccurate, and there is also a slight delay when changing between presets, of about 0.15 secs or so (enough to piss u off and make u change to early).

The boss gt3 - i'm creamin my pants, what can i say?

I had ben using a Digitech RP3 for about one year before I bought a BOSS GT-3. Of course the RP3 is not fully comparable to more recent Digitech product but here is my opinion:

Digitech RP-3: unbeatable pitch shifter and harmonizer (more scale than the GT-3 and cleaner). You can pitch bend full chords with the expression pedal with surprisingly good results. The modulation effect are quite good and maybe fuller than those on the GT-3.

BOSS GT-3: Much better amp simulations (even though in reviews it is not even a strong point). Much better distortions. Other outstanding features include the pickup simulator and the preset equalizer settings that you can use to start a new patch. Plus a bunch of other toys (analog synth. modules, etc...). Overall I would go with the GT-3.

I was not impressed by the amp simulation in more recent Digitech models (GNX line). But those were short demos from the Web.

anyone? I'm wondering the same thing

schaller d-tuner operation?

I have a Schaller d-tuner, (keith-scruggs) style on my Tele and have no operating instructions, I tried to find their web site and download some but, I cannot find them.
Anyone have any idea how to find either their web site or how to contact them directly and get this?

Thanks......

Joey

Epi Hummingbird

I've been in love with the Gibson Hummingbird since college but couldn't afford one. Has anybody tried the Epi copy? Can you recommend? Thanks!

Martin D-15

I've seen the Martin D-15 descrived as a "Shaker beauty." True, it has an attractive simplicity, but what about the sound? What is the buzz on this guitar?

Re: Martin D-15

: I've seen the Martin D-15 descrived as a "Shaker beauty." True, it has an attractive simplicity, but what about the sound? What is the buzz on this guitar?

I found it to be a bit dark sounding to my ear and chose the Taylor 410 instead (now the 310), but you really have to use your own ears and see how you like it.

: : I've seen the Martin D-15 descrived as a "Shaker beauty." True, it has an attractive simplicity, but what about the sound? What is the buzz on this guitar?

: I found it to be a bit dark sounding to my ear and chose the Taylor 410 instead (now the 310), but you really have to use your own ears and see how you like it.

: : : I've seen the Martin D-15 descrived as a "Shaker beauty." True, it has an attractive simplicity, but what about the sound? What is the buzz on this guitar?

: : I found it to be a bit dark sounding to my ear and chose the Taylor 410 instead (now the 310), but you really have to use your own ears and see how you like it.

The D-15 has a very unusual tone, it is strong, even, smooth, very warm and rich, it is complex and has allot of texture. You must hear it to make a decision. Everyone won't choose but very many will. It is good enough to go through the effort of listening to one. I was prejudiced against it due to it's plain all mahogany exterior, the moment I heard it wild horses could not have kept that guitar from me. I just love it and have grown to enjoy its simple dark look. It is very well made and the Martin 300 hardcase that comes with it fits it like a snug glove. It comes with Martin SP+ strings and the action rivals an electric. Look at it's reviews on Harmony Central there are over 30 and not one negative comment. Iceing on the cake is Martins warranty. This thing is also avail in like six variations. I am a very picky customer and this thing thrills me more every single day. They sell for under $600.00 at allot of dealers. You can't go wrong here!

playing guitar

Hi
my name is Kathy I hsve been playing for quite some time.
my question is , I play mainly by ear , dont know fancy scales
just know what sounds good, another thing I hardly use my pinky except in chords
I feel like the saying cant teach a ole dog new tricks
dont know if I can put my links here so you can hear me but I'll try
please forgive the recording quality Im also a begin in that too
peace Kathy
http://www.mp3.com/KathyReynolds http://www.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/________Kathy_Reynolds/

Humbuckers and Silgle Coil Pickups at the same time

Does that pickups that are both humbuckers and single coils, at the pull of the tone knob, good? May be a little silly question, but the one I tested performed well, and this would be a great improve in a guitar versatility. Thanks

Re: Humbuckers and Silgle Coil Pickups at the same time

: Does that pickups that are both humbuckers and single coils, at the pull of the tone knob, good? May be a little silly question, but the one I tested performed well, and this would be a great improve in a guitar versatility. Thanks

Your talking about coil tapping, and its not just on one pickup, its on any pickup you wire for coil tapping. WIth the right pickup it could very helpful.

: Your talking about coil tapping, and its not just on one pickup, its on any pickup you wire for coil tapping. WIth the right pickup it could very helpful.

Interesting... Then, if you wire a pickup for taping, on the single coil mode it will act *EXACTLY* like a silgle coil pickup, and the same with the humbucker mode?

: : Your talking about coil tapping, and its not just on one pickup, its on any pickup you wire for coil tapping. WIth the right pickup it could very helpful.

:
: Interesting... Then, if you wire a pickup for taping, on the single coil mode it will act *EXACTLY* like a silgle coil pickup, and the same with the humbucker mode?

Not quite, the humbucker will sound right but unless you have a very high output pickup the single coil position will be thinner and smaller sounding than a good conventional single coil. A Seymour Duncan JB is an example of a humbucker that taps well.

: Not quite, the humbucker will sound right but unless you have a very high output pickup the single coil position will be thinner and smaller sounding than a good conventional single coil. A Seymour Duncan JB is an example of a humbucker that taps well.

This guitar (Washburn CS-740) has two duncan designed humbuckers and a single coil on the middle position. In the humbucker mode it is louder than on the single coil mode. But I think this is normal. And the single coil, specially the neck one, sounds pretty good, very bright. How can I determine the model of the pickups, and do you have more information on this guitar? I couldn't find on the net. Seems to be some kind of special edition. Thanks.

: : Your talking about coil tapping, and its not just on one pickup, its on any pickup you wire for coil tapping. WIth the right pickup it could very helpful.

: http://www.washburn.com/ send em an e-mail ask for specs .............Crispy
: Interesting... Then, if you wire a pickup for taping, on the single coil mode it will act *EXACTLY* like a silgle coil pickup, and the same with the humbucker mode?

Serial Number

Does anyone know how I can date an OLD Harmony guitar by the serial #.

Re: Serial Number harmony 1766h1215

: Does anyone know how I can date an OLD Harmony guitar by the serial #.

Guitar Room

I am buying a house which has a detached "Mother-out-Law".
I want to store my guitars on the walls.
Can any body tell me so info on Temp. and Humidity for proper care.

Re: Guitar Room

: I am buying a house which has a detached "Mother-out-Law".
: I want to store my guitars on the walls.
: Can any body tell me so info on Temp. and Humidity for proper care.

Ok, I have hung all my expensive guitars on my wall for about $40. Got wall hangers for $10 each, there is no reason to pay more. You should put them in a dry room, with plenty of air, not a closet or something. Make sure the temp doesn't change from 72 degrees ever. If you live in a real musty damp place, buy a dehumidifier to keep your guitars dry. Remember if you live in say Florida, you can't avoid buying a damp house.

do NOT listen to this guy. dry is BAD!!!

to quote jim grainger:

"Keep your instrument in an environment that is between 40 and 60 percent relative humidity. Especially during the winter months, when cold, dry air is heated, resulting in warm air that is even drier. Necks can warp, and bodies can crack when they are too dry. Use a hygrometer to determine the relative humidity in your home or studio"

Re: Guitar Room

bub is correct

Tuning

A while ago I bought an acoustic guitar and a bass guitar. Along with that i got a tuner. Will the tuner work for both guitars, or is there a specific tuner for bass and accoustic? Please let me know by sending the answer to my e-mail address.

Thanks,

Frank

ax1000g patches please...

you have ax1000g don't you...
please share your best patches with me....

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.