Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - September, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Sigma TB1 acoustic/electric

I just bought a Sigma TB1, it appears to be a fine guitar. However I must exert excessive force to make a cord or note. The neck is looks good with only a slight rise in the strings towards the higher frets.
Any thoughts, lighter strings ect?

how do i change strings on an acoustic guitar?

i'm new to guitars and i have an acoustic guitar... one of the strings snapped... how do i replace the broken string?
what tools do i need?
is there a web page that tells me how i can do it?

Re: how do i change strings on an acoustic guitar?

: i'm new to guitars and i have an acoustic guitar... one of the strings snapped... how do i replace the broken string?
: what tools do i need?
: is there a web page that tells me how i can do it?

it is verry easy! all you need is a thing called a peg winder. im sure your local music store has one- should cost about two bucks. what you do is pop the pin on the bridge with the grooved edge of the peg winder bezel, bend the string at the winding close to the ball end, push the string into the hole, and re insert the pin. then put the string end through the hole in the tuner, and with a free hand pull it so that it bends just enought to catch an angle that gives you some slack without pulling back through the hole ( make sure you have enough slack to get about three or four winds around the peg!) then put your pegwinder to work! just wind untill your to pitch!

p.s. any more questions just email me at shane_b15@yahoo.com or see my site www.terracemusiccenter.com
we love helping new players!

: : i'm new to guitars and i have an acoustic guitar... one of the strings snapped... how do i replace the broken string?
: : is there a web page that tells me how i can do it?

i want to know how to change a guitar string, why does this internet site only have questions and no fucking answers

other guitar forums....

this is a nice forum, but i was wondering if anyone here knows of another good guitar forum.... ? please post them...

monk

Re: other guitar forums....

: this is a nice forum, but i was wondering if anyone here knows of another good guitar forum.... ? please post them...

: monk

Guitar.com has a great one
Guitarnotes.com has a very good one
Musictoyz.com has a good one for stomp box junkies
There are a few more, but I forgot them

Re: other guitar forums....

: this is a nice forum, but i was wondering if anyone here knows of another good guitar forum.... ? please post them...

: monk

www.fenderforum.com is superb.
In my opinion it's the best on the web.
You don't have to be a Fender owner there are sections allocated for other manufacturers. Just behave yourself and mind your language. Best of luck.

guitar.com rawks!!!

thanks soooooo much... guitar.com rocks! theory forum is sooooo rad.

Great Site For Chords And Tabs

Hey Guys This Is A Great Site Which Provides
Accurate Guitar Chords And Tabs
It Also Has Guitar Lessons
And Wierd Sound Techniques Section Is Great
Check Out these sites
http://www.guitarchords.8k.com &
http://www.vytabs.8k.com

rigs

dont't worry about it steve. Most young bands don't have a really good handle on playing. I'm sure their advice on gear is umimportant.

sex,drugs n rock - what do you think?

do you guys read those two stories in gnw recently? funny stuff.

what is GNW?

: do you guys read those two stories in gnw recently? funny stuff.

Re: what is GNW?

Guitar News Weekly ... you can read it on front page of site.

: : do you guys read those two stories in gnw recently? funny stuff.

what are you talking about

: do you guys read those two stories in gnw recently? funny stuff.

value of an ovation

what is the value of a 1972 ovation bluegrass gospel limited edition in mint condition?

Re: value of an ovation

: what is the value of a 1972 ovation 1614-4 with in mint condition with original flat chase?

Thank you.

Music rythmn

This may be one of the most embarassing questions ever, but how do you read the rythmn of a song from just music notation? If you buy one of the books like 101 Songs for easy guitar or the like, how do you read a strumming rythmn from the music charts? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm a real novice

Re: Music rythmn

: This may be one of the most embarassing questions ever, but how do you read the rythmn of a song from just music notation? If you buy one of the books like 101 Songs for easy guitar or the like, how do you read a strumming rythmn from the music charts? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm a real novice

Well for strumming, they usually have up and down markers, that show you the strokes. Also they have a legend at the beggining of the song, to give you the beat. If there two eighth notes, with a 3 under it, that means you have to swing the song, kind of like a blues song.

Guitar Lessons

Hey you guys, I work at a place called digevent.com
They have a live 1 hour guitar lesson for intermediate to advanced, it's all live, with interactive question and answers... works with a fast or slow connection, you should check it out, it starts at 4pm pacific time... if you miss it there are archives...
I'm actually a camera guy on the show, and it has helped me develop my skills
thanks
Phil
ps I'm just trying to spread the word, sorry if it comes off any other way.

I need advise on what brand and style is the best...

I am looking for a gift for my husband. He currently owns a Kramer 1987 model guitar and
a Fender Stage Lead II Amp. I need some advise from someone knowlegeable on what is the
best guitar for the money. I dont want to spend a mint, but I dont want a cheap-o either.
HELP!!!

Re: I need advise on what brand and style is the best...

: I am looking for a gift for my husband. He currently owns a Kramer 1987 model guitar and
: a Fender Stage Lead II Amp. I need some advise from someone knowlegeable on what is the
: best guitar for the money. I dont want to spend a mint, but I dont want a cheap-o either.
: HELP!!!

Well it depends. Does your husband, have any effects, you know pedals, or any kind of effects processor? If he doesn't you could get him a nice effects processor, for like $400-500 dollars, and that is a very nice gift. As for a guitar, it really depends on what he plays, a safe pick would be a Fender Strat. They have sales on the current model, because they have come up with a new 2000 model. You could find a new 99' Fender Strat, or Telecaster for that matter, around the $600 mark. For a guitarist, to have an American guitar, is very impressive. If you have any other questions, please to don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Re: I need advise on what brand and style is the best...

: : I am looking for a gift for my husband. He currently owns a Kramer 1987 model guitar and
: : a Fender Stage Lead II Amp. I need some advise from someone knowlegeable on what is the
: : best guitar for the money. I dont want to spend a mint, but I dont want a cheap-o either.
: : HELP!!!

: Well it depends. Does your husband, have any effects, you know pedals, or any kind of effects processor? If he doesn't you could get him a nice effects processor, for like $400-500 dollars, and that is a very nice gift. As for a guitar, it really depends on what he plays, a safe pick would be a Fender Strat. They have sales on the current model, because they have come up with a new 2000 model. You could find a new 99' Fender Strat, or Telecaster for that matter, around the $600 mark. For a guitarist, to have an American guitar, is very impressive. If you have any other questions, please to don't hesitate to e-mail me.

It has been my experience that most guitarists HAVE TO PLAY NEW MERCHANDISE BEFORE THEY BUY IT. I have wasted several hundred dollars on musical gifts that were not exactly what the recipient wanted. Guitarists are very picky and take their gear personal. If you have to buy a guitar, Ben is right, Fender is a good bet. If the Kramer has a wide neck you can look at Ibanez and Jacksons. Make sure you have a good return policy at the store just in case. Remember that a gift certificate is always an option. Then he can get exactly what he wants. The last guitar I bought I played for 3 hours before I bought it and they gave me 30 days to change my mind if I got it home and didn't like it.

Good luck either way. And let us know if you need any other help.

Bar chords and power chords

Can someone tell me the difference between bar chords and power chords??

Re: Bar chords and power chords

: Can someone tell me the difference between bar chords and power chords??

Well I power chord is just the root and the 5th in the chord, but a bar chord, requires that you barre, or whole down several notes on the same frets, and you are hitting multiple notes

musical notes

hi,
i wanna know how or where can i find some notes for the new songs to play on guitar.

musical notes

hi
can i get some musical notes for casio ...good hindi songs

musical notes

hi
can i get some musical notes for casio ...good hindi songs

Les Paul !!

Hi need to buy a guitare les paul for 200$ i dont know
if they are at that prize ok e-mail my if you now where
i can buy a les paul for 200$

Re: Les Paul !!

you cannot buy a lp for that price. i dont know where you came up with that idea!!

Mabeye a epiphone lp special, but thats about it...even the les paul standard epi will cost you more...I have a transparent blue model standard, paid $400 for it new, there nice, but save your $$, and when you get around $600, look for a gibson LP studio used in a good music shop...you wont find anything near new in that price range, but should find a decently cared for used model for under $650.

maybe an Ephiphone Les Paul

: Hi need to buy a guitare les paul for 200$ i dont know
: if they are at that prize ok e-mail my if you now where
: i can buy a les paul for 200$

you can buy an epiphone les paul special II for around $200. Maybe cheaper if you look. The sp
ecial II is an awesome value. Classic les paul tone at an outrageously cheap price.

You must be talking about an Epiphone Les Paul. It has the classic Les Paul look and some of the Les Paul sound. For $200 your not going to get to close to the real thing. A Gibson Les Paul Standard is going to run you about $2000. Check-out the deals at www.gusbootmusic.50megs.com or search around music 123.com

The Epiphone Les Paul isn't bad except for the fact that the PUPs are pretty lame. I had one and fitted a Seymour Duncan Distortion at the bridge and a JB at the neck and for all intents and purposes it has that classic LP tone. I sold it to a friend and he is over the moon with it.

Hand made AMPS !

pictures of hand made amps
http://user.tninet.se/~xik065s

MPX-G2

Hey...Want to hear about the Lexicon MPX-G2....anybody tried it before????They don't have it 'round here...Seems very good though...
Thanks

Jeff

Hey Dilby

You are right. This message board is a great place to get help and the mor info you give the more help you get. Everyone is willing to help here and I'm glad I found this site. Keep up the good work.

can't tune my LoTrs Floyd

I've got an Ibanez RG with a LoTrs floyd and I really
couldn't tune it.
Please help me :)
Thank you

Re: can't tune my LoTrs Floyd

: I've got an Ibanez RG with a LoTrs floyd and I really
: couldn't tune it.
: Please help me :)
: Thank you

If your strings are new you need to stretch them out a little. Next you need to tune it with the tuning keys. This may take a little while at first because each time you tune a string the trem will move a little and the others will be slightly off. Once you get it really close you can lock the strings and use the fine tuners to get it perfect. It will take some getting used to but once you learn to tune it you will find it is a good bridge. Just don't get frustrated. I had the same problem 5 years ago with my first Ibanez. You'll get it tuned, don't worry. Good luck.

make sure you change one string at a time, and start with the high E first(skinny). This will help keep the tension more even when you tune.

In reference to tuning the floyd rose,one real important thing is making sure the tremelo is evenly balanced. To do this is pretty easy, first take the guitar and look at the bridge horizontally at the low E side, if the bridge sits evenly (front and back), then the tremelo is balanced. But if the bridge is sitting higher in the front or back then it is out,to fix the problem you have to take the back off where the springs are,if the back of the bridge is high then you have tighten the springs, take a large phillips head screwdriver and tighten the screw that is relative to that side of the bridge, turn no more than one full turn at a time, doing both sides(that is the low E side and the high E side each time),then check to see if the bridge sits even to the body ,if one side is even and thr other side isn't then adjust that side until it is even with the body.with the tremelo being evenly balanced, the guitar should stay in tune a little better. If you have new strings you will have to stretch them first.

:

What is it?

A buddie pulled out this old Gretch that he hasn`t played for 25 years. Want`s to sell it. More importantly is it of value, I think it is. It looks similar to the Chet Atkins, buy scaled down. Its pale greenish. (I don`t have it here right now) hallow solid body no f-holes, he thinks it`s mid to late 50`s. 2 fat, looks like daulpole, pickups,one knob forward of the pickups, schaller pegs. I know it`s not much to go on, thanks

re: make money blah, blah, blah

Hi,

Sorry about that scam. Someone´s using my E-mail address here to get me in trouble.

My name is NOT Mikael Burrough but my E-mail address is somehow mixed with this name by i don´t know who...

MP

changing from 9's to 10's

Hi I have a Les Paul Standard light and I want to put tens on it. Just wondering, do I have to reinforce the neck to change from nines to tens?

Re: changing from 9's to 10's

no you dont have to

: Hi I have a Les Paul Standard light and I want to put tens on it. Just wondering, do I have to reinforce the neck to change from nines to tens?

Re: changing from 9's to 10's

The neck will be fine, but changing from 9's to 10's will change your intonation. That is to say when you play an open E, then the fretted E on the 12th fret, the fretted note may become flat or sharp. You can adjust your intonation by moving the saddles forward if the fretted note is flat, and back if it is sharp. You can do a decent job with a guitar tuner. If your not comfortable doing this, take it in & have a pro do it. Good luck.

Martin Sigma GCR-7

Martin Sigma GCR-7

This popular thread has been given its own page : Martin Sigma GCR-7

manual for ZOOM 9000?

manual for ZOOM 9000?

This popular thread has been given its own page : manual for ZOOM 9000?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.