Seeking info on Marwin No.1 Archtop

Posted by Jackson Lucas on Fri, 03/22/02 - 14:25:33.

A year ago I bought a wonderful pre-WW2 archtop from a guy in North Carolina. The instrument appears to have been used quite a bit in its day (its second owner told me he bought it from the original owner who played it in a big band for years)but was very well preserved and in its original HSC. I haven't been able to find any information on this brand name. The manufacturer was probably Kay. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Greetings
Jack

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Marwin Nr. 1 Guitar

I also own a Marwin Nr.1 guitar which I discovered in a pile of junk from an old house. The junk was about to be carted off to the dump. I rescued the Marwin, in terrible shape with no hardware whatsoever and a couple of cracks in the body. I refinished the body and replaced the hardware as closely as I could find. Still working on playability - needs pro setup but I discovered that it works great as a slide guitar. I will probably use it on some recording projects that I am currently working on.
I would be grateful for any history on these guitars that anyone can provide. Great piece of history!!

Re: Seeking info on Marwin No.1 Archtop

I also own a Marwin No. 1 archtop with HSC. My father bought it "used" in New York (probably in the forties). He was told it was owned by a prisoner.
I have also today checked the net somewhat and found one source which indicated the Marwin's were made between 1935-40 by Harmony Co. in Chicago.
I have always wondered about the value, history, etc. of this instrument as three generations in my family have now played it.
If anyone has info to add, please share it. Thanks!

I also own a Marwin #1, solid carved archtop, that I inherited from an uncle. Interested in any info about it.

can i see a pic of your archtop? i recently aquired a BLACK Marwin archtop, with white around the f holes, single 24 pole !!pickup which is to DIE for sonically. beats my modded es125 gibson..which is an AMAZING guitar.
any info on this company, love to find more.
i have a huge schematic website, where i would put a Marwin page up, eventually, if i got some info.
largest schematic library in the world:
http://www3.telus.net/public/vintage1/index.htm

: A year ago I bought a wonderful pre-WW2 archtop from a guy in North Carolina. The instrument appears to have been used quite a bit in its day (its second owner told me he bought it from the original owner who played it in a big band for years)but was very well preserved and in its original HSC. I haven't been able to find any information on this brand name. The manufacturer was probably Kay. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
: Greetings
: Jack

<a href="http://paxil-medication.info/">paxil</a> A computer salesman visits a company president for the purpose of selling
the president one of the latest talking computers.
Salesman: "This machine knows everything. I can ask it any quesstion
and it'll give the correct answer. Computer, what is the
speed of light?"
Computer: 186,282 miles per second.
Salesman: "Who was the first president of the United States?"
Computer: George Washington.
President: "I'm still not convinced. Let me ask a question.
Where is my father?"
Computer: Your father is fishing in Georgia.
President: "Hah!! The computer is wrong. My father died over twenty
years ago!"
Computer: Your mother's husband died 22 years ago. Your father just
landed a twelve pound bass.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.