EKO Ranger 6 EL

Posted by Dave on Wed, 01/09/02 - 15:01:38.

I have recently "inherited" an EKO Ranger 6 EL from the 60's (I think), it is pretty good condition, I was wondering what a piece like that would be worth...any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: EKO Ranger 6 EL

I have a Left handed Echo Ranger 6 which I bought new in the 70s. I cost me around £70, which was about 20% more than a right handed. The action was very high but when I checked the truss rod the kneck was way out. Fixing that and lowering the bridge gave it a pretty good action, comparable to the Stratocaster I bought some years later. Unfortunately the EKO kneck was almost twice as thick! Still it's a lovely looking thing & I wouldn't part with it.

Re: EKO Ranger 6

Dave,

I have owned an Eko Ranger 6 (Jumbo Acoustic) since 1971. It was just a few months old when I bought it. Built like a tank - strong, heavy, loud - with an action so high you could hardly hold down an open "E" ! However, it was my first steel string acoustic and, with a little help from the Beatles Songbook, I learned to play on that big mother! Just last year, a professional musician called by my office on a completely unrelated matter, saw the Eko in it's case and told me that he used to own one too. He said his biggest regret in life was selling it! I explained about the high action, and that I had lowered the bridge as far as I could. "No problem" he replied, and took my guitar away. Next day, he returned it, explaining that he had simply shimmed the neck where it met the body, and WOW! The action is now nice and low, and the guitar plays as sweet as anything. A Gibson or a Martin it is not, and never will be, but it would never let you down. Try some nice D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze strings next time you change them - mmmm, nice!
Value? Well, I have recently seen a couple change hands on eBay at around £125 - £140 (around $200) so you're not sitting on a fortune, but if yours is one of the original "Made in Italy" models (see sticker inside soundhole) it will only appreciate, even if not significantly. Hope this helps!

Re: EKO ACOUSTICs

Hi,
I have a 1963 EKO P2 acoustic, made in Italy. I found it in a skip. It's the most beautiful little thing you ever saw and it plays easy and cute. No idea if it's worth anything but its really nice to have something so sweet and old.

: Dave,

: I have owned an Eko Ranger 6 (Jumbo Acoustic) since 1971. It was just a few months old when I bought it. Built like a tank - strong, heavy, loud - with an action so high you could hardly hold down an open "E" ! However, it was my first steel string acoustic and, with a little help from the Beatles Songbook, I learned to play on that big mother! Just last year, a professional musician called by my office on a completely unrelated matter, saw the Eko in it's case and told me that he used to own one too. He said his biggest regret in life was selling it! I explained about the high action, and that I had lowered the bridge as far as I could. "No problem" he replied, and took my guitar away. Next day, he returned it, explaining that he had simply shimmed the neck where it met the body, and WOW! The action is now nice and low, and the guitar plays as sweet as anything. A Gibson or a Martin it is not, and never will be, but it would never let you down. Try some nice D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze strings next time you change them - mmmm, nice!
: Value? Well, I have recently seen a couple change hands on eBay at around £125 - £140 (around $200) so you're not sitting on a fortune, but if yours is one of the original "Made in Italy" models (see sticker inside soundhole) it will only appreciate, even if not significantly. Hope this helps!

: Hi,
: I have a 1963 EKO P2 acoustic, made in Italy. I found it in a skip. It's the most beautiful little thing you ever saw and it plays easy and cute. No idea if it's worth anything but its really nice to have something so sweet and old.

: : Dave,

: : I have owned an Eko Ranger 6 (Jumbo Acoustic) since 1971. It was just a few months old when I bought it. Built like a tank - strong, heavy, loud - with an action so high you could hardly hold down an open "E" ! However, it was my first steel string acoustic and, with a little help from the Beatles Songbook, I learned to play on that big mother! Just last year, a professional musician called by my office on a completely unrelated matter, saw the Eko in it's case and told me that he used to own one too. He said his biggest regret in life was selling it! I explained about the high action, and that I had lowered the bridge as far as I could. "No problem" he replied, and took my guitar away. Next day, he returned it, explaining that he had simply shimmed the neck where it met the body, and WOW! The action is now nice and low, and the guitar plays as sweet as anything. A Gibson or a Martin it is not, and never will be, but it would never let you down. Try some nice D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze strings next time you change them - mmmm, nice!
: : Value? Well, I have recently seen a couple change hands on eBay at around £125 - £140 (around $200) so you're not sitting on a fortune, but if yours is one of the original "Made in Italy" models (see sticker inside soundhole) it will only appreciate, even if not significantly. Hope this helps!

do you still have it..because ive just got one with no machine heads-really want to restore it,,i was told it was a classical tho..beautiful guitars,,they are back as well,,but made in china,,anyway..give us a shout if you or anyone else has any idea of where or whom i would contact to get some parts..many thanx.T

don't know what I GOT

While working fighting off RATS in a very large crawlspace of a very old house in the area where money is not a problem to them I found a old dirty guitar case singing to my eyes. After killing off all the RATS I brought the guitar case out with me to show the home owner (an old italian man) in which he gave it to me as a tip for a job well done. I had no idea what was in the case in which the case stills has the JFK tag on it from Italy to New York until hours later i did open it up and found a Modello Eko Ranger 6 in very good condition. Talk about a beautiful guitar, WOW, I've played for over 20 years and nevered played anything like it in my life time and haven't stop since the day i've had it. Here's the problem, the sticker inside the soundhole shows it's made in italy and is a Ranger 6. I've been doing my home work on all the sites and just can't find the one I have anywhere. Theres a few different parts to it that shows it's NOT a reissues from the 80's and the one maded today in China since the end of era in Italy. The sticker inside the soundhole shows it's made in Italy and stamped RANGER 6 along with a signature that I can't make out. The head stock shows Eko written across the head stock and behind it spells out Made In Italy, the pick guard curves to a point at the bottom and the front reaches to the 17th fret around the soundhole. After countless hours and days trying to find a match on line I can't find this beauty anywhere, although theres alot of them out there today it's not the one I have. I would really love to know the year and the name of the maker. As for the VALUE, yea I would like to know but damn it's riches feel GREAT in my hands. If theres anyone out there that know about these guitars please contact me.

Nope,
don't put acoustic strings on that guitar. It's a classical guitar and should carry nylon strings.

/Simon

: Hi from UK.
I have found a P2 EKO and it is smashed at the neck. I am just about to drill the base of the neck and bolt through to straighten it, It wont straighten without some force being applied to get the wood grain to come together. hope Im doing the right thing.?

Re: EKO Ranger 6 EL

: I have an accoustic EKO that is great to play it was my father that owned it before me and it must be over 30 years old i don't know anything about EKO so if you could give me some info I would be very gratefull
cheers

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.