Anybody know anything about Morris Hurricane super strats?

Posted by David on Sat, 06/28/03 - 18:26:51.
In Reply to Guitar Explosion

I was in a pawnshop today and saw and played a guitar called a Morris Hurricane that looks like a Jackson soloist. It's got a mahogany neck and probably body as well (It looks like and feels heavy enough to be mahogany). It's got a humbucker, two single coils (the PUs are really nasty looking and the single coils look a little loose) like that can be turned on or off by three switches and 1 volume and 1 tone pot. It's got some kind of double locking trem that is lacking an arm and is missing parts of the locking nut. I have no idea what kind of trem it is using. The Saddles on the trem are in a kind of L shape. BTW the neck has shark fin inlays, they are not in very well so I assume they were added later by a previous owner. The frets also seem to have been filed down from years of use (the guitar might need new ones in a few years), they look ok except for one that doesn't seem to have been installed in evenly. Anyway this guitar is being sold for $69. I'm thinking of buying it even though it will probably need some work. For those of you that own one, do you think this is a good deal? BTW if I buy this it would be my second guitar (I've been playing about a year).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

re: Anybody know anything about Morris Hurricane super strats?

Rebuild it and you'll have a great guitar. I have two. Enjoy them greatly. Great sounding playing electrics. Comfy and extremely playable.
They're not a Jazz guitar, nor a Country Gretschy thing, but they have nice clean Fenderish sounds and you can get your non fretting hand into then to fingerstyle quite easy. While they can be obviously an in your face metal thing, and yes they can shred as quick as you can, they also can be a great subtle chord triad layer thing behind what else is going on. The best way to describe that is what Larry Treadwell did on Thomas Dolbys Aliens Ate My Buick album, subtle sustained glissando swoops trems with stab chord comps along with nice single note fills,,,,the guitar that way is articulate. They're fairly heavy in weight for a Strat type, so they have this bigger sustain going on,,thats obvious clean sounds and dirt,,,And they hold their setup for years,,,years.

Great Guitar

Re: Anybody know anything about Morris Hurricane super strats?

: I was in a pawnshop today and saw and played a guitar called a Morris Hurricane that looks like a Jackson soloist. It's got a mahogany neck and probably body as well (It looks like and feels heavy enough to be mahogany). It's got a humbucker, two single coils (the PUs are really nasty looking and the single coils look a little loose) like that can be turned on or off by three switches and 1 volume and 1 tone pot. It's got some kind of double locking trem that is lacking an arm and is missing parts of the locking nut. I have no idea what kind of trem it is using. The Saddles on the trem are in a kind of L shape. BTW the neck has shark fin inlays, they are not in very well so I assume they were added later by a previous owner. The frets also seem to have been filed down from years of use (the guitar might need new ones in a few years), they look ok except for one that doesn't seem to have been installed in evenly. Anyway this guitar is being sold for $69. I'm thinking of buying it even though it will probably need some work. For those of you that own one, do you think this is a good deal? BTW if I buy this it would be my second guitar (I've been playing about a year).

Woah, until you said it had sharkfin inlays, I could have sworn it might have been one that I recently bought in a small guitar shop. everything you said matched it perfectly (except that thins one actually was a vintage bc rich st-III body, with all of those specs) but with a hurricane neck so it's hard to tell it's not actually a hurricane. but the inlays on mine are red dots, so it can't be that. but everything else matched.

Probably far too late, but I've got exactly the guitar you were talking about. It's a really good quality Kahler locking trem if it's the same as mine. Mine has seen me through tons of gigs (mainly metal/rock) and the humbucker gives a nice chunky sound. The single coils are pish. Don't know where you live, but if $69 equals UKP £30 or £40 I'd give it a bash.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.