Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - September, 2003

Archive for posts from September, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

which strings are which?

I want to restring my 12-string. I have a bunch of strings hanging around and don't know which are which? Anyone help me?

Re: which strings are which?

: I want to restring my 12-string. I have a bunch of strings hanging around and don't know which are which? Anyone help me?

Its really simple... you string the guitar normally using the thickest strings starting with the top most space and skipping one every time (thickest at the top right!!) then you go along with the thinnest strings (again going in thickness order... starting with the thickest) and fill in the gaps. So when its done it will look like this(looking at the guitar from the front):

thick string E ------------------------- Deepest
thin string e -------------------------
thick string A -------------------------
thin string a -------------------------
thick string D -------------------------
thin string d -------------------------
thick string G -------------------------
thin string g -------------------------
thick string B -------------------------
thin string b -------------------------
thick string E -------------------------
thin string e ------------------------- Highest

i'm not totally sure about the exact tuning... but i do know that the highest two pitched sets of strins ie this lowest four string on the guitar are tuned to the sme note. All of the others are one or two octves apart... i forget!

Slide guitar Playing

Hi:
I'm new here and am a fan and player of post war blues. I am learnig to play the slide and would like to here from like minded brother and sisters out there that love the blues. I like all blues it's a life style for me and one hot passion. E-mail me lets talk da blues.
RMG

Re: Slide guitar Playing

: Hi:
: I'm new here and am a fan and player of post war blues. I am learnig to play the slide and would like to here from like minded brother and sisters out there that love the blues. I like all blues it's a life style for me and one hot passion. E-mail me lets talk da blues.
: RMG

Hi: I Have a Steel Bar for Sliding on My Acoustic Steel string Tuned to 440 standard Spanish Style.
As You Get Comfortable With Any Type of Slide You Can Play With The = Two Middle String's At the Same Time = D and G. Play them Open and then Place Your Slide Onto the Fretboard On the Same two String's: Now Place The Slide Onto The Second Fret's, Of Those Open String'sand Pluck the String's and Slide the Slide Up To the 12'th Fret's and Pluck Your Middle String's As The First Slide And The Second Position And Then The Third , Then Slide Up To The 15'th Fret And This Is the Octave And G Major Note's As The Lower Register Was The Original Form For Open Stru\ing Slide up And Slide Up Again And Again.
This Is Easyer Then It Sound's And Then You Can , Explore Slow and Medium Tempo's And Phasing A Structured But Spontainiouse Expression Of You Own.
Have A Glass Slide or Steel or Brass?.
There are Six Open String Tuning's For Dorbro Slide Delta and 12 Bar Blues = Tune to A Open E Maj.

Gibson which model is it?

I have gibson acoustic Guitar on the back of the end it says LGN and then a number 624605 Help? Any information would be helpful

Does any body have any tabs for the new old man's child cd

does any body have the tabs for defiance of exisitence the new old man's child cd if you do e-mail them to me

Hooking up 2 amps

Hello

I have a Line6 Flextone 2 that has a 1/4" jack for an external speaker. I wanted to send the Line 6 signal to a Peavey Renown 400.

Where in the peavey can I put the 1/4"? Would putting it in the input do damage? There is also a preamp in and a preamp out. Can I use those?

If anyone could suggest a link where I could learn the basics of how pre amps work, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dave

Re: Hooking up 2 amps

Jeesus! Dont put the speaker out from one amp into the input of another amp. It will kill it. The preamp beefs upthe very small signal output from the guitar so that the poweramp can amplify it further to drive the speaker. A guitar outputs voltages in the millivolt range (thousanth of a volt) whereas a speaker is driven by as much as 50 to 100 volts. The only option you have is to find the "line out" or "effects out" of you amp (low voltage) and plug this into the input of the other amp.You could also take the headphone out from one amp to the input of the other one if necessary but this is not a very nice solution. The other option is to split the signal at your guitar (a "Y" connector) run two leads, one to each amp.

You can plug the speaker out of an amp only to a spearker box (quad, PA speaker, you know).

Have fun!

Simon

Buckethead tabs

Hi, I've searched the net for any tabs or sheet mucis for Buckethead's stuff(especially on the Praxis discs) but I haven't managed to find anything. I was wondering if anyone here knows wether there even are BH tabs or not? I'm also looking for similiar shred guitar tabs and sheet music (any sites with free downloads?) so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
~Chris

westone thunder 1a

westone thunder 1a

This popular thread has been given its own page : westone thunder 1a

Hall & sons guitar

Anyone ever heard of this brand?
( Hall & sons)

Re: Hall & sons guitar

: Anyone ever heard of this brand?
: ( Hall & sons)

We have a Hall and Sons guitar and sold another one a few years ago. They are late 1800's models in coffin shaped cases. I know the company was in New York, but am trying to find out more info about them.

Powered Pickups

I'm planning on buying a new guitar soon and i need to know what the deal with powered pickups is. What exactly do they do for your sound? If you have powered pickups do you have to have them powered or can you use them like regular pickups?

hey one of my bolts from my ibanez rbm is broken!!

can anybody say where i could order a new one. it would be very helpful because i cant play anymore

Several guitars

I have a 1998 Oscar Schmidt OE 30 hollow body electric in excellent shape with hard shell case.

Also, a 2000 Fender Strat / Tex Mex w/o case. This has a humbucker for the bridge and is a Mexican made unit. Please let me know the worth of these two units.

Thanks
Roy

Re: Several guitars

: I have a 1998 Oscar Schmidt OE 30 hollow body electric in excellent shape with hard shell case.

: Also, a 2000 Fender Strat / Tex Mex w/o case. This has a humbucker for the bridge and is a Mexican made unit. Please let me know the worth of these two units.

: Thanks
: Roy

the fat strat would have a value of about 200.00 depending on it's condition.

al

I need help with figuring out my guitar model

I have a guitar given to me by my aunt. It is at least 40 years old I think. It has a symbol at the top of the head stock. It is a goldish color(the symbol)and cosits of what looks like yin yang peices in a cicle, forming a star in the centre of the circle with dots alternating between yin yang peices. It has a serial # inside the guitar where the neck is attached. it is: WO201279 if any one could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it

Ever have any luck? I have a

Ever have any luck? I have a guitar I just bought with the same number in the same spot. But mine has no decal on head stick.

eric Draven

Anyone know what pedal effects and what's the efx setting did eric draven use in the movie The Crow? If any1 know...pls email me...plss...try listening to his solo.
Eric Draven - The Crow(guitar solo)

CONRAD MODEL 40227 12 STRING

I FOUND THIS GUITAR AT A SALE, CHECKING IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME INFO ON THIS, LIKE WHEN IT WAS MADE, AND A VAKUE ON IT. IT'S IN GOOD CONDITION AND PLAYS WELL.

conrad 40227 12 string acc. guitar, circa 1967 - 1974

I bought mine for $140 in great condition, I love it... its a tough - durable constructed guitar and sounds great. Keeps its tuning for long time too. Usual value is $80 to $200 only but still a nice item.

Norma Electric Guitar

How much is one in pretty good condition worth.

amp settings

HELP!!!!

I have a marshall avt150 and i need help on the amp settings. Im looking for a hendrix or townshed sound.
Thanks for your time.

brand new bass guitar for sale

i have a brand new ESP LTD bass, 4 string, played once, i payed $350 for it, but i will take $275 or best offer, contact me, at rockytopredneck5@yahoo.com

looking for acoustic bass

i NEED and acoustic bass, for semi-cheap i will buy or trade another bass for it, email me please!@

Re: looking for acoustic bass

Check out a Samick acoustic bass. They are pretty cheap
$300-400 or so new. Call a few dealers to see who handles Samick product.

how to restring a floyd rose bridge?

I tried to restring my jackson guitar & it has the floyd rose bridge,how do you restring & tune the bridge?

Re: how to restring a floyd rose bridge?

: I tried to restring my jackson guitar & it has the floyd rose bridge,how do you restring & tune the bridge?

well you need to replace and tune up one string at a time ad not take all the strings off at once so that you can tune one string at a time and not have to mes with it for hours to try and get it back in tune and at the zero position. I myself dont like the floyed roses on the jacksons the only company I found with good roses is Ibanez they are made for crazeaz like Vai and Satriani those ones never come out of tune but any other rose does.

Anyone heard of this Strat copy?

I have just started reconditioning a Japanese Strat copy, and under the (old, painted over) head paint I could make out the words Global Sound Morris, with Morris in a different font. Anyone heard of it??

Re: Anyone heard of this Strat copy?

: I have just started reconditioning a Japanese Strat copy, and under the (old, painted over) head paint I could make out the words Global Sound Morris, with Morris in a different font. Anyone heard of it??

Yep, I do own a vintage Morris guitar, too.
They were said to be a low-cost offspring of Washburn at those days.
Not the worst, you could buy. Mine sounds better every year ;-)

Have fun with yours

Karsten

BOSS ME-30 and Megadeth 's sound

I have just fall in love with Megadeth and just wish I could sound closer to Megadeth. Can anyone tell me the setting for BOSS ME-30 or BOSS MT-2 that would sound more like MEGADETH?
Thanks

guitar Michigan

I have a "Michigan" guitar solid body and i want informations of this model, sorry for my english !

Re: guitar Michigan

I also have a guitar labelled as a "Michigan" but mine is more lile a 40s or 50s parlour style of steel accoustic guitar, fairly small bodied and no guitar experts I have spoken to have been able to give me any real info on the companyb that made it. If you find any, let me know, please.

Alan

identification of a '54 custom shop Fender pick-up

I am a '54 custom shop Fender pick up and i want to identificate my model, it is a neck or a bridge pick up, my pick up as a red point on the left of the logo "custom shop". Thnk's for your reponse and sorry for my english !!!

Re: Which Laney amp?

I like to play both country and heavy rock guitar. i have a digitech RP200a for sounds. is the laney TF100 or HCM65R suitable?

Can you tell me how to reset my DIGITECH RP6..............

Can you tell me how to reset my DIGITECH RP6..............

This popular thread has been given its own page : Can you tell me how to reset my DIGITECH RP6..............

SCANNED TABS for FREE - STAM.WEBHOP.NET

im offering tabs for free. we swap files on this site and beleive in a NO TRADING POLICY we SWAP!

Shred Guitar

Just wanted to see if everybody could hang with this...

http://www.demibarbito.com/halostorm.mp3

Demi

aria pro 2 sl searies

Can someone tell me about this guitar,all i no is that i love it.

Re: aria pro 2 sl searies

Loha,
In 1988 I recieved my first and still my favorite Aria pro 2 sl with the red and black smear design. CANT LET GO! I'm in Santa Fe, NM USA get me back at maffusse@yahoo.com. 1/31/05

Me brazilian, need help to buy a multi effects

Hi, there. I'm new in this group and need some tips to buy a multieffects. I live in Brazil and I don't know too much about it. I've seen some digitech models (which names I don't remember), and some said that it's better than zoom. I've seen zoom gfx4 and gfx8, but didn't try.
I'll not use it professionally, just for fun and for playing with friends. What is the best model for my profile (non professional player), in price, number of resources, etc.????

Thank you for your attention. Thanks a lot.

Yo...just one more question...

Whats the best guitar for a beginner?...I've heard the Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 is ideal...but i've also heard it sucks....that goes for the Ibanez GSA60 and the Peavey Raptor Plus as well...any sugestions?

Re: Yo...just one more question...

You will hear that about every guitar, best thing for a beginner is to try out a bunch in your price range and get the one that feels most comfortable and is decently built, you can worry about all the other stuff (pups, electronics etc) once you get good enough for it to matter.

: Whats the best guitar for a beginner?...I've heard the Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 is ideal...but i've also heard it sucks....that goes for the Ibanez GSA60 and the Peavey Raptor Plus as well...any sugestions?

Re: Yo...just one more question...

: You will hear that about every guitar, best thing for a beginner is to try out a bunch in your price range and get the one that feels most comfortable and is decently built, you can worry about all the other stuff (pups, electronics etc) once you get good enough for it to matter.

:
: : Whats the best guitar for a beginner?...I've heard the Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 is ideal...but i've also heard it sucks....that goes for the Ibanez GSA60 and the Peavey Raptor Plus as well...any sugestions?

I agree that you should try a # of guitars and one that feels best, sounds the best and has the best over-all value would be choice.
I do have a few suggestions. Dont buy the epiphone as I have a high end Epiphone Les paul (List $999. Paid $600). and I hate the tuning keys and the high end OBL Lace pickups. The pickups have to be yanked and tuning keys replaced with grovers before you have a decent Epiphone Les Paul. Here is a few you should check out:
Yamaha Pacifica PAC012 Strat syle that has a unique cutaway on the backside for $169.99.
Lots of Kramer guitars @ MusicYo.com
Ibanez RG Standard or GAX70 which looks like a PRS. Both for $199.99.
If you like BC Rich you can get a Warlock for $169.99.
You have a lot of options but I would suggest looking at MusicYo.com for the Kramers. The downside to that is, You cant play the guitar so you really dont know how it "feels". After you find your guitar, take it to a shop and have it set up.Intonation, action ect.. Otherwise you can hamper your sound.
Good luck.
-Dobie

Epiphone Texan

Hi---Maybe someone can answer my question. I bought a 2000 Epiphone Texan, used, in 2001, for about $375. Now, a couple years later, I see that the Texan has been re-issued, selling for over a grand. How might this new Texan differ from my earlier one? Are the new ones simply over-priced or are the new ones using superior materials over previous Texans like mine? Thanks!

Re: Epiphone Texan

The most famoust texans are from '64 thru 66 because were used by mccartney in key songs such as yesterday. also al stewart used them extensively in the early seventies. prices are between 2k to 5k each for a sixties vintage. the reissues (elite texans) are nice copies but as always not quite the same you are like getting 500th or thereabouts. enjow

Hohner G3T Wiring Diagram and Schematic

Could someone please send me a copy of the above if it exists.

Thanking you in advance...

Re: Hohner G3T Wiring Diagram and Schematic

: Could someone please send me a copy of the above if it exists.

: Thanking you in advance...

Re: Hohner arbor series hc 1 Wiring Diagram and Schematic

: : Could someone please send me a copy of the above if it exists.

: : Thanking you in advance...

DOD Deathmetal FX86 schem?

Hi, looking for the FX86 schematic.
Thanks in advance!
email: cb7149@hotmail.com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.