Yamaha CJ-838S

Advertisement
Posted by Shane Moad on Thu, 11/07/02 - 23:42:23.
In Reply to Yamaha

Hi,I am wondering if anyone can tell me when the Yamaha CJ-838S first came out. I have one and I am guessing it is about twenty years old. If anyone can give me a bit of a run down on them and how they rate as a guitar I would be thankful for your help. To me it sounds good and feels good to play.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Yamaha CJ-838S

I can't find any serial number on the one I have and wood like to know if any one has a roman-numeral number 2 after the (S) The one I have has a hand carved by hand on the back at the base of the head 4437

yamaha cj-838sii

the one i have has a serial # just below the tension rod hex in the sound hole. I bought mine in 1981 new and they are a good guitar

Re: Yamaha CJ-838S

: Hi,I am wondering if anyone can tell me when the Yamaha CJ-838S first came out. I have one and I am guessing it is about twenty years old. If anyone can give me a bit of a run down on them and how they rate as a guitar I would be thankful for your help. To me it sounds good and feels good to play.

i got this guitare i bought it in fance in 1983 steel playing whith it very good materiel my son statr to play with it , i'm trying to find the price it cost now ??,
Yves

yamaha cj-838s

Hi. This is the first solid-spruice top accoustic guitar Yamaha produced. I bought one of the first - in 1976.... when I was in my late 20's. i still have it and play it regularly. It is a great value guitar and I regularly gigged with it up to the mid 1990's... It still looks and sounds great and with any solid top guitar - has matured soundwise with age.... I bought it in 1976 for about GBP200. It is classed as vintage and loner Hawaiian music shop recently had one priced at about USD1200. I also have one of the original Italian EKO 12S accoustic guitars circa 1973..... neck is twisted and bridge is held on by a strong bonding agent, but it still plays and has a terrific sound...... I also have an approx 7 year old Ovation electro-accoustic 12s.... great depth of sound and lovely thru an accoustic guitar amp..... PS mid 60's and still love playing and singing..... note my e mail address - sultan4swing@aol.com

Yamaha CJ-838S - price as of 2005

Hi Yves, according to this website: http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1980s.html, $100 in 1980 converts to $243.45 in 2005. Given the guitar retailed at $375 when it first came out in 1979, the brand new price today would be around $920.
But then again, considering the reputation of this rare guitar, I reckon it's still be a bargain if you can fetch one for less than $600...

Yamaha CJ-838S - Still Singing its Praises!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha CJ-838S - Still Singing its Praises!!!!!!!!!

This popular thread has been given its own page : Yamaha CJ-838S - Still Singing its Praises!!!!!!!!!

I just picked one up here in Colorado, looks brand new, action and sound are phenom. I set it up with a brand new LR Baggs M-1 pickup for well under $500. It is replacing my Guild A-50 as my stage guitar. I like it way better than any Martin I have owned or just played. that Jumbo body just rocks.

I have two numbers near the neck joint
one on a a strut : 80414036
one on the neck joint:1480203
not too sure about either number as they are a little hard to see.

Still love my Yam - I have played many guitars, but never found one as good as the 838s

keep playing lovely tunes....
Tony Man

:Yamaha CJ-838S, I just call Yamaha searching for the six pins which I am in dire need for and ask the age and I was told that this guitar was made in 1979 and 1991. Please reply if you ca can me the original pins.

Thanks,

Allen

I just happened to stumble upon this web site and thought I would add to the conversations even though I'm a little late
in the mix here. I bought my CJ-838s in 1980. It was made in 1979. If you look into the sound hole and at the area where the neck is attached you will find the serial #. Mine is 90817723. This refers to the year made 1979..the 9, 08 being august, 17 being the 17th of august and 723 being the production number or the number of guitars made thus far.
My guitar is still in mint condition and I still have the tags that came with the guitar. I bought it at Mr C's guitar shop in Marlboro, MA. and paid $275 for it. This also included a Guild hardshell case. What a deal!! The guitar traveled worldwide with me for 8 years and the only damage was to the Guild metal Logo on the case. It fell off in the baggage area of some aircraft somewhere overseas. This guitar is by far one of the sweatest jumbos out there. If you have one, don't part with it. You won't replace it for under $1500 as far as quality goes today. Someone once told me Yamaha was sued by Gibson when they first came out with this model. Gibson said it was an infringement on their J-200. If you ever get a chance to play on one of these you'll understand why!!!! Mine will be a family heirloom!!!

: I just happened to stumble upon this web site and thought I would add to the conversations even though I'm a little late
: in the mix here. I bought my CJ-838s in 1980. It was made in 1979. If you look into the sound hole and at the area where the neck is attached you will find the serial #. Mine is 90817723. This refers to the year made 1979..the 9, 08 being august, 17 being the 17th of august and 723 being the production number or the number of guitars made thus far.
: My guitar is still in mint condition and I still have the tags that came with the guitar. I bought it at Mr C's guitar shop in Marlboro, MA. and paid $275 for it. This also included a Guild hardshell case. What a deal!! The guitar traveled worldwide with me for 8 years and the only damage was to the Guild metal Logo on the case. It fell off in the baggage area of some aircraft somewhere overseas. This guitar is by far one of the sweatest jumbos out there. If you have one, don't part with it. You won't replace it for under $1500 as far as quality goes today. Someone once told me Yamaha was sued by Gibson when they first came out with this model. Gibson said it was an infringement on their J-200. If you ever get a chance to play on one of these you'll understand why!!!! Mine will be a family heirloom!!!

I posted here many moons ago re my CJ 838S - Thanks Peter for the info re: where the serial # is!: Mine was built a few days after yours. This guitar is really special. I'm not sure if they all are, but I have a Hummingbird and a couple other acousics and playing the Yami is like settling into the perfect buzz. Don't sell! They are unique and pretty rare.

Yamaha CJ-838S

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Yamaha CJ-838S

I have a Yahama CJ 838s. It's beautiful; I bought it about 23-4 years ago (1981) from a friend that had a music shop for 120 (English pounds). The frets are badly worn, but it doesnt buzz and sounds better every year!

Do Yamaha provide any info about manafacture dates?

One love
Tony

I have one that I bought four years ago and paid $280 for in a music store. They are really good guitars for the money. According to the Yamaha website, mine was made on Dec. 26, 1979. My luthier is quite familiar with this model and told me it is a signature model and is worth about $350 (mine has minor cosmetic damage around the soundhole). I have seen them listed on Ebay for that with no takers, but that is just because noone knows what a fine guitar they are - very mellow in tone and great for strumming (my wife thinks mine sounds as good as my Martin D-41!) I would rate the playability as very similar to Gibson. If I ever decide to sell mine, I have friends who would take it in a heartbeat!

i have a yamaha cj-838s...i found it in my basement, i believe my dad bought it used about 20 years ago, anyways, i cant find any information about it. but it does have an amazing sound good to find other people with them

I've got one too, bought it used in 79 or 80 from a student in Gainesville, Florida. It's still in beautiful condition. Came with a jam up hardshell case. I've been thinking about selling it on EBay. Found your discussion string while researching what the instrument is worth. After reading all the glowing comments I'm not sure I want to let it go after all. Thanks for the info.

: Hi,I am wondering if anyone can tell me when the Yamaha CJ-838S first came out. I have one and I am guessing it is about twenty years old. If anyone can give me a bit of a run down on them and how they rate as a guitar I would be thankful for your help. To me it sounds good and feels good to play.

I've got one - my nephew who is a professional jazz musician gave it to me....bought it off an old hippy in Seattle in the 80's. It is in grat shape and sounds fantastic....FULL tone! Anyway, I've been trying to find out the value of it for some time. Anyone else have an idea what it might be worth? I do not intend to sell it - just curious. It's great to finally find other folks talking about it! : Hi,I am wondering if anyone can tell me when the Yamaha CJ-838S first came out. I have one and I am guessing it is about twenty years old. If anyone can give me a bit of a run down on them and how they rate as a guitar I would be thankful for your help. To me it sounds good and feels good to play.

i have one that was given to me for use as a camping pig
, the headstock was cracked and it is a bit battered but no structural damage otherwise a bit of careful glueing and it is like new(ish). needless to say it isnt the pig , i got another for that job and the yam is my good guitar. big sound lots of room for my big fingers now i have an idea of its value too.... free is of corse the only price to pay
"recycle as tho your life depends on it... it does!!"

I bought my CJ-838S used in 1985. I bought it from a guy who needed to make rent for $350. His parents bought it for him, and I don't think it had ever been played. It came with a nice hardshell case too. I love my guitar. All my friends have Taylors and Martins, but I would do a blind test against my Yamaha any day. The action is incredible the sound can't be beat. Most people can't believe it is a Yamaha. If you can buy one for under $500.00 it is a steal in my book.

Re: Yamaha CJ-838S (Mine was bought in 1980)

Hi, I have a CJ-838S that was purchased in 1980.(I'm pretty sure it was 1980)
I purchased it new at Arnold & Morgan music store in Garland Tex. It's funny...I went to the store with my cousin that wanted to replace his Martin D-45 that got damaged on a flight. I was gonna buy a Martin also. I played the one he selected first, and loved the sound but that thing was hard to play. I looked around and we compared this Yamaha CJ-838S to it. The Yamaha had a beautiful sound. I had to say it was as good as the Martin, but he said "Almost as good". Thing is, the Yamaha played silky smooth. Much nicer than the Martin. I payed about $350 for the guitar with a hard shell case. I still play occasionally, and still love that guitar. It's still in perfect condition. I guess I should sell it, but I could never replace it. Fine Instrument!

Re: Yamaha CJ-838S (Mine was bought in 1980)

Hey Bryan thanks for the follow up, sorry about the delay in getting back to you, Christmas has been busy. I feel the same, I have heard and played some big brand name guitars but it was only that a friend came to our place to have a jam and she bought her Yamaha CJ-838S. I had not played one at the time and had a Washburn which sounded fine and allot of session guys had borrowed it from me so that was a good recomendation, there was no reason to want something else. But when I picked up hers and played it that was it, I sold my Washburn to a friend who has a recording studio and tried to talk my other friend into selling me the Yamaha. It took me two months but she finally sold it to me ( I guess the lost puppy look works ) and for $500.00 I was happy as a pig in, well you know what I mean! The only thing is she made me promise not to sell it, which is fine by me. Lookafter yourself and have a great New Year.

My girlfriends father borrowed a Yamaha CJ-838S from of his one night for me to play because I only have an electric. The guitar is in fair shape look wise but sounds and plays great. I have grown to like the guitar as it has been here for about six months. The owner obviously does'nt care enough to ask for it back so I wanted to make him an offer for it. So I was wondering if you have found any more info on this model?

:Hi Josh, I paid $500. second hand for my one here in Australia. I have heard that that sell in good condition in some parts of the United States $1500.00. That equals $3000. our money. Offer him a $200 and see what he says, especialy if its in just fair condition.

: I got mine about 8 years ago, somebody owed my father some money so he gave it to him as a trade of. i think it was only 100 bucks or something like that. all I know is that guy didn't know much about guitars, ive played thousands of different guitars and not many compare to this one. i wouldn't sell mine for any price.

I have a CJ-838S. It used to be my Dads and he got it direct from the british Yamaha distributor back in the late 70's/very early 80's. It plays like dream but I'm afraid info on the buggers is quite hard to come by.

Yep your right Miles they are hard to fined info on but they do play well. Thanks for your feed back and have a safe Christmas

: I have a CJ *#*S in mint condition. I've had a bone nut and saddle and a piezo pickup installed. Great guitar!! The Yamaha importers in Toronto told me mine was built in 1981. Rosewood veneer back and sides (inside and out) and solid spruce top. Big sound plays well.

Bucque

I was thinking about buying one of these guitars but I'm in the market for an all solid wood guitar. Does anybody know for absolute sure if the back and sides are solid wood? If so, what kind of wood?

Thanks, Ashley

: I was thinking about buying one of these guitars but I'm in the market for an all solid wood guitar. Does anybody know for absolute sure if the back and sides are solid wood? If so, what kind of wood?

: Thanks, Ashley

I was wondering the same thing myself. According to an ebay seller who has handled and sold alot of these, the top is solid spruce, and the back and sides are laminated rosewood.

it's all solid

it's all solid

Bucque your right on putting the bone nut and saddle on. Even just doing that makes a heap of difference. By the way how much did you pay for it?

I bought it in 1995 and paid $500.00 for it. The neck was seriously bowed and the frets needed dressing as well. I've been thinking of having a luthier doing a professional set-up on it at this point.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.