fender acoustic guitar..malibu

Posted by tony flores on Mon, 01/07/02 - 00:00:26.

I have a chance to get my hands on a 1965? fender malibu acoustic.. is it valuable as vintage? i've seen and played it and the action is killer!! seller wants 500.00. paid 800.00. been playing guitars a long time..not familiar with this one..please advise!! thank you.. tony m flores

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: fender acoustic guitar..malibu

According to Vintage Guitar Price Guide 2008 these are worth about $550-625 in excellent condition (no repairs and all-original).

I don't know about vintage value, but i haven't been able to find one for less than $450 since i got mine. if you do get it make sure it looks good otherwise it is priceless. I know my malibu sounds fantastic (and i mean sounds very very good), looks perfect, and draws everyone to want it. so good luck

: I have a chance to get my hands on a 1965? fender malibu acoustic.. is it valuable as vintage? i've seen and played it and the action is killer!! seller wants 500.00. paid 800.00. been playing guitars a long time..not familiar with this one..please advise!! thank you.. tony m flores

Don't pay it! Even if it's pristine. They are cool guitars but have more of a nostalgia value. They have no vintage value. They were made from 65 I think (63?) until around '71. If you look around you can find one for around 200.00. Hope this helps.
Chris
goat316@msn.com

: : I have a chance to get my hands on a 1965? fender malibu acoustic.. is it valuable as vintage? i've seen and played it and the action is killer!! seller wants 500.00. paid 800.00. been playing guitars a long time..not familiar with this one..please advise!! thank you.. tony m flores

:
: Don't pay it! Even if it's pristine. They are cool guitars but have more of a nostalgia value. They have no vintage value. They were made from 65 I think (63?) until around '71. If you look around you can find one for around 200.00. Hope this helps.
: Chris
: goat316@msn.com

I HAVE A FENDER MALIBU 1965 AND IF IT PLAYS LIKE MINE, I WOULD BUY IT IN A HEART BEAT!!!! IT IS NICE WITH THE STRAT NECK AND MAKES IT REAL EASY TO SWITCH BACK AND FORTH TO A STRAT ON STAGE. I USE THE SAME SIZE STRINGS ON BOTH.

Vintage Guitar Magazine's Price Guide, which is one of the more respectable guides in publication, shows 1965-1970 Fender Maibu's as being valued between $450 and $650 in VG - Excellent Condition.

The early CBS Fender acoustics are commonly viewed as having no vintage value because they were horrible sounding in comparison to same-era Martin's and Gibson's.

The reality is that the factors that define an instrument as vintage, desireable, collectable, etc. constantly change with the morphing landscape of instrument production and the passage of time.

10 years ago, there are those who scoffed at the collectability or vintage nature of 60's Japanese guitars. There is now a tremendous surge in the vintage market for these guitars.

I'd say if its clean, good condition, structurally sound, and you like it's sound and playability, $500 is a sound price.

One thing you might look for, is if it has an aluminum pipe inside. The early Fender acoustics all had these for some reason, with the exception of the first 200-300 produced (acording to George Gruhn). If it's missing the pipe, commonly referred to as the "water pipe", then I'd say it's probably more valuable than if it has one.

An instrument is only as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it.

I have a Fender Malibu with the number 5714096 inside the body. I think its constructed of Tiger Maple on sides and back with a sunburst design on a Spruce flatfront. It has french ivory trim. Any information with regards to history, year of manufacture and value is welcome and appreciated.

:
: I have a Fender Malibu with the number 5714096 inside the body. I think its constructed of Tiger Maple on sides and back with a sunburst design on a Spruce flatfront. It has french ivory trim. Any information with regards to history, year of manufacture and value is welcome and appreciated.

:
: :
: : I have a Fender Malibu with the number 5710307 inside the body. I think its constructed of Tiger Maple on sides and back with a sunburst design on a Spruce flatfront. It has french ivory trim. Any information with regards to history, year of manufacture and value is welcome and appreciated.

: : I have a chance to get my hands on a 1965? fender malibu acoustic.. is it valuable as vintage? i've seen and played it and the action is killer!! seller wants 500.00. paid 800.00. been playing guitars a long time..not familiar with this one..please advise!! thank you.. tony m flores

:
: Don't pay it! Even if it's pristine. They are cool guitars but have more of a nostalgia value. They have no vintage value. They were made from 65 I think (63?) until around '71. If you look around you can find one for around 200.00. Hope this helps.
: Chris
: goat316@msn.com

: : : I have a chance to get my hands on a 1965? fender malibu acoustic.. is it valuable as vintage? i've seen and played it and the action is killer!! seller wants 500.00. paid 800.00. been playing guitars a long time..not familiar with this one..please advise!! thank you.. tony m flores

: :
: : Don't pay it! Even if it's pristine. They are cool guitars but have more of a nostalgia value. They have no vintage value. They were made from 65 I think (63?) until around '71. If you look around you can find one for around 200.00. Hope this helps.
: : Chris
: : goat316@msn.com

IF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN FIND ME A MALIBU (OR PALOMINO, OR EVEN A MONTARA) FOR AROUND $200, I'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM THEM. THIS IS SERIOUS ! Thanks, Rich

Fender Malibu

I love my '66 Fender Malibu. It's the hangin' around the house guitar; an easy player with a nice sound. It isn't a Gibson or Martin, but it was only $350.00 plus the cost of some initial set up repairs. It is suspended by a vintage Tupper and Reed Music cloth strap (you know?) and after growing some mutton chops and learning a few Country Joe tunes it'll be a great retro act!

In the Malibu the aluminum rod is a short cylinder that provides strength between the neck and the block. In the bigger models it is a long rod between the neck block and the end block, put there to keep them from imploding! I think the Malibu is the best of all the Roger Rossmeisel designed Fender acoustics. The earliest models have the gold sprayed plexi pickguards that look like vintage Rickenbacker pickguards.

Malibus were actually played by Johnny Cash, Joan Baez and Ray Davies, maybe as endorsements, but they sure seem to show up in quite a few gigging pix. As a previous poster commented, everyone who plays on it ends up liking it.

I think the collecting value will rise on these guitars, and I'd rather look at and play on a cool, fun vintage guitar with historical value than one that is designed to appear to have that cache.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.